PDA

View Full Version : Hexmag.

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 14:31
Anyone pick these up yet? http://www.hexmag.com

They have a "neat" design, but we all know looks aren't everything. M4C Search had 0 results.

six8
08-18-14, 14:44
I had 3. Threw one away but the other 2 run good. I like the looks of them but I feel the PMags are better built.

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 15:59
Really, why did you have to throw one away?

six8
08-18-14, 16:17
It wouldn't feed properly so I shot it. The follower kept getting hung up

ColtSeavers
08-18-14, 16:37
Wasn't there a company that made a haxagon rail as well?

ETA: Found it. Black Rifle Syndicate Hex Rail

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/10621019833_f167c5a7b9_z_zps972ca3b6.jpg

mark5pt56
08-18-14, 17:21
So, I wonder who will be first to paint the shapes various colors---

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 17:22
so I shot it.

Shit got real lol.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/10621019833_f167c5a7b9_z_zps972ca3b6.jpg

A nice combo :sarcastic:

I had seen those mags recently hit the market. Made in CO like PMAGs.

six8
08-18-14, 17:34
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/18/a49361e529acb11994d32e574d3ef4df.jpg Hex mag in my 458

Flankenstein
08-18-14, 17:34
Plouffe reviewed them I think...

Kain
08-18-14, 17:49
Sort of a Pmag knock off to me for lack of a better term, not saying it wouldn't work, but the Pmag kind of set a high standard. The ID feature is neat, but not something I put faith in. The only way I've found to reliable be able to determine separate rounds for separate tasks on a kit has been to use to different types of mags, a la A 30rd mag for one type, and a 20rd mag for another, the color id to me is more tactical voodoo than actually useful since in low light colors kind of go out of the window if you know what I mean.

Rayrevolver
08-18-14, 19:23
Reminds me of the hex barrel I just read about on here:28035

Now you can make an all hex upper... :confused:

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 21:43
Hex barrel. Check
Hex rail. Check
Hexmag. Check
Black and yellow cerakote. Check

Honeycomb AR? Hmmm.

wildcard600
08-18-14, 21:46
Hex barrel. Check
Hex rail. Check
Hexmag. Check
Black and yellow cerakote. Check

Honeycomb AR? Hmmm.

Honeycomb's big ? yeah yeah yeah !
its not small ? no no no !

Grand58742
08-18-14, 21:56
Plouffe reviewed them I think...

He did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAgXVSiJzQ

Not impressed by the second drop test that cracked the spine of the mag.

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 22:08
nice vid. The cracking was not a very good sign but I think I might give em a shot and do some testing of my own lol.

Grand58742
08-18-14, 22:17
If Pmags weren't as cheap as they've been in recent memory, I'd probably give them a whirl. But seeing that you can pay the same or less, I'm not feeling it.

No balls if you don't rock that pink follower though :D

If all else fails, you can paint the individual blocks into a kick ass Kryptek pattern.

SilverBullet432
08-18-14, 22:29
ill try them out. Do some similar tests. drop em on cement and at the range.

ScatmanCrothers
08-18-14, 22:34
If Pmags weren't as cheap as they've been in recent memory, I'd probably give them a whirl. But seeing that you can pay the same or less, I'm not feeling it.

And NHMTG's with magpul followers are at 12 bucks all day... If I had an overflow in my "here's some money and I don't care what happens to it" shoebox I'd probably spring for hexmags. And maybe some antiquated cow patties. Maybe both, who knows.

markm
08-19-14, 09:08
Even the Pmag went through a few Gens early on. No way am I getting in on the bottom floor of a new product evolution.

six8
08-19-14, 09:45
nice vid. The cracking was not a very good sign but I think I might give em a shot and do some testing of my own lol.
They're no match for .556 and 00 buck [emoji16]

SilverBullet432
08-19-14, 19:14
Even the Pmag went through a few Gens early on. No way am I getting in on the bottom floor of a new product evolution.
good point, ill use the cash towards parts instead.

They're no match for .556 and 00 buck [emoji16]

haha ill bet!

SilverBullet432
08-29-14, 10:04

I think they took the hint: http://i60.tinypic.com/1594cw.jpg

markm
08-29-14, 10:05
So retarded.

six8
08-29-14, 10:17
I kinda like those rails ....

Uprange41
08-29-14, 12:28
The rails actually look comfy with the XTM panels. Looks like they designed it to fit them.

SilverBullet432
08-29-14, 14:24

The rails actually look comfy with the XTM panels. Looks like they designed it to fit them.

They do look okay.

ColtSeavers
08-29-14, 14:59
Found the matching muzzle device for the all hex rifle.

Black Rain Ordnance Hex Competition Compensator
http://www.firearms4less.com/26-196-large/black-rain-ar15-hex-competition-compensator-223.jpg

E_Johnson
08-29-14, 16:54
Russia was Hexing before it was cool.

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/f3mosin9130hex3.jpg

wildcard600
08-29-14, 17:20

they were tactical as hell back in the day.....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/ca8b8899-1cf0-4fc7-8584-f332278d4233_zps5256be7c.jpg

MistWolf
08-30-14, 00:26

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/f3mosin9130hex3.jpg

Nope. That's octagonal

they were tactical as hell back in the day.....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/ca8b8899-1cf0-4fc7-8584-f332278d4233_zps5256be7c.jpg

No hex here either. That's an octagon barrel. The Sharps is beyond tactical- it's the rifle that won the west

wildcard600
08-30-14, 11:21
Nope. That's octagonal

No hex here either. That's an octagon barrel.

I realize that. I was being facetious, and I believe the post above mine was likely in jest as well.

I hear KAC is having a labor day sale on their MK51 sense of humor, you might want to look into it.

MistWolf
08-30-14, 15:02
I realize that. I was being facetious, and I believe the post above mine was likely in jest as well.

I hear KAC is having a labor day sale on their MK51 sense of humor, you might want to look into it.

I T&E'd a late prototype and while it worked well and exhibitted the quality fit & finish and attention to detail KAC is famous for, it wasn't dry enough for my purposes

SOW_0331
08-30-14, 19:21
I T&E'd a late prototype and while it worked well and exhibitted the quality fit & finish and attention to detail KAC is famous for, it wasn't dry enough for my purposes

The last thread got locked before anyone could make an official decision.

Are we still not worried about "fit and finish", or is that irrelevant? What does this expensive Mk51 SOH do better, other than fit and finish, that the DD Mk117 SOH-S doesn't for half the price?

Don't be a shill ;)

Heavy Metal
08-30-14, 22:09
So retarded.

Why, they look like the Bee's Knees to me!

ColtSeavers
08-30-14, 22:40

Are we still not worried about "fit and finish", or is that irrelevant? What does this expensive Mk51 SOH do better, other than fit and finish, that the DD Mk117 SOH-S doesn't for half the price?

Don't be a shill ;)

Leave Teacher's Pet alone!!!

wildcard600
08-30-14, 22:57

Don't be a shill ;)

the KAC SOH features cold hammer forged skin and NIB coated sarcasm detectors for smooth operation. Word has it that BCM is working on a keymod SOH for easy modularity and attaching a range of joke styles. No word on a release date though.

SOW_0331
08-31-14, 00:34
the KAC SOH features cold hammer forged skin and NIB coated sarcasm detectors for smooth operation. Word has it that BCM is working on a keymod SOH for easy modularity and attaching a range of joke styles. No word on a release date though.

The KAC one is so expensive that only a few people will be allowed to "get it" and will buy it just to show that they have it. Like the kind of SOH you experience art an art gallery or wine tasting.

You could almost hear the gentle pitter-patter of a thousand knees hitting the ground for the BCM Blem SOH, while Midwest Industries has been selling the same thing for six months at a quarter of BCM's reasonable fee. But when MI did it the MSOH was unproven and lacked support across manufacturers. And at .017 ounces heavier, thou shalt not felate the maker of the anvil weighted SOH.

Meanwhile, someone threw their rail mounted Fixed Front SOH into a wood chipper and it got damaged, so he boldly claimed laughter was impossible to achieve. Even when DD offered to replace his FFSOH it settled his rage rash in no way at all.

So what it all comes down to is, when a Mod makes a post about the KAC Mk51 SOH being "The Best Sense Of Humor EEEVVVFEEERRRRRR.....?" is that a statement or a question?

And that's your end of August summary of the month's drama. What will September have in store for us?!

MistWolf
08-31-14, 00:36
Leave Teacher's Pet alone!!!

You're just jealous because she gave me private tutoring to stiffen my resolve and keep me abreast in my lessons

Don't be a shill ;)

Not only does the Mk51 have the edge in fit & finish over the Mk117, it also has better delivery. The BCM SOH is pretty solid, but there are better options if you have to Magpul somebody's leg. The Colt SOH is a good one to ride the trail with, but I'd beware of the Bushmaster, lest some problem rears it's scaly head and strikes at a critical moment. I haven't tried an Olympic yet, but I've heard from on high that they have a Herculean task ahead of them in overcoming their quality control issues.

I've actually custom built my own SOH and prefer it over anything commercially available. It runs so well- dry or dripping with sarcasm- that I've thought of releasing it through my Big Fat Wolf product line. Unfortunately, some claim it's over-gassed and feedback from test subjects show that in use, the repartee is a bit sharp and somewhat PUNishing, After testing, the subjects threw a fit and were finished

fixit69
08-31-14, 02:42
I asked a bee. He even said WTF...

1911-A1
08-31-14, 09:20

I dunno...The fact that they don't have a hexagonal cross section seems like a missed opportunity to me. I question their dedication to the brand.

E_Johnson
08-31-14, 09:24
I like where this thread is going.

Caduceus
08-31-14, 13:11
Holy crap some of you folks are clever. Well played!

MistWolf
08-31-14, 14:12
I like where this thread is going.
Don't let yourself get too comfortable though-

Meanwhile, on the other side of the forum- a shadowy figure, who, if one were to bump into him on the street, would be taken for a mild mannered history student of martial arts and was indeed, the curator of a private museum entrusted to the care of rare and fabulous martial arts treasures- dons his mask while slipping out of the window, fading silently into the awaiting arms of his lover, the darkness, to become-
The MP5 NINJA!!

...No one expects the MP5 NINJA!...NO ONE believes they still EXIST........

Stay Alert. Trust No One. Keep Your SOH Handy

RWCRaiden
08-31-14, 15:08
Don't see the point in buying these mags when the gen 2 pmags are dirt cheap and work. Also I'm not digging the hex pattern at all.

TexanInCali
08-31-14, 15:29
Those look kind of cool, but I'll stick with Pmags and label them with bright colored paint pens.

coburna
10-01-15, 21:22
It wouldn't feed properly so I shot it. The follower kept getting hung up

Lifetime warrantee. That is all. Wait.....one more thing - they offer a lifetime warrantee with free shipping.

six8
10-01-15, 21:35
Lifetime warrantee. That is all. Wait.....one more thing - they offer a lifetime warrantee with free shipping.

Now you tell me [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
10-01-15, 22:13
Meh between Pmags and GI mags my needs are more than covered.

JC5188
10-02-15, 08:17
You're just jealous because she gave me private tutoring to stiffen my resolve and keep me abreast in my lessons

Not only does the Mk51 have the edge in fit & finish over the Mk117, it also has better delivery. The BCM SOH is pretty solid, but there are better options if you have to Magpul somebody's leg. The Colt SOH is a good one to ride the trail with, but I'd beware of the Bushmaster, lest some problem rears it's scaly head and strikes at a critical moment. I haven't tried an Olympic yet, but I've heard from on high that they have a Herculean task ahead of them in overcoming their quality control issues.

I've actually custom built my own SOH and prefer it over anything commercially available. It runs so well- dry or dripping with sarcasm- that I've thought of releasing it through my Big Fat Wolf product line. Unfortunately, some claim it's over-gassed and feedback from test subjects show that in use, the repartee is a bit sharp and somewhat PUNishing, After testing, the subjects threw a fit and were finished

Not sure where you got your info. The Bushmasters don't come with or offer a SOH. You have to have one before you buy...

:)

As far as the OP, I'll stick with pmag.

Sent from my iPhone

Shao
11-17-15, 06:00
Sorry to resurrect a month old thread, but has anyone had any trouble with Hexmags not fitting in your magwells? I picked up a pair to check out and out of ten ARs that I tested them in, I could only actually get them to insert into three lowers - an Aero Precision forged, Umbrella Corp forged, and Mega Gator. In those three brands of lowers, they're all difficult to insert and absolutely will not drop free. I find it highly improbable that all of my lowers are out of spec... Anyone? Did I get a pair of duds?

ColtSeavers
11-17-15, 09:35
Sorry to resurrect a month old thread, but has anyone had any trouble with Hexmags not fitting in your magwells? I picked up a pair to check out and out of ten ARs that I tested them in, I could only actually get them to insert into three lowers - an Aero Precision forged, Umbrella Corp forged, and Mega Gator. In those three brands of lowers, they're all difficult to insert and absolutely will not drop free. I find it highly improbable that all of my lowers are out of spec... Anyone? Did I get a pair of duds?

If other mags freely insert/expel in those lowers, then I would suspect the hexmags and exercise their lifetime warranty with free shipping policy as pointed out in post #46.

Shao
11-17-15, 11:16
If other mags freely insert/expel in those lowers, then I would suspect the hexmags and exercise their lifetime warranty with free shipping policy as pointed out in post #46.

That's what I was afraid of... I searched Google and couldn't find anyone complaining about a similar issue. Just my luck I guess. I hate returning crap. What an inconvenience. Lifetime warranty here I come.

BTL BRN
11-17-15, 12:13
No issues with the mags dropping free, but when loaded to a full 30 rounds they are very difficult to load on a closed bolt.

poriggity
11-17-15, 12:36
Been thinking about picking up some of these to supplement my gen 3 pmags, but I'm not really sure the minimal price difference is worth chancing it on hexmags.

Slippers
11-17-15, 13:14
I have had terrible luck with hexmags, but admittedly my sample size is small. However, when you get misfeeds, bulging at the top when loaded with 30 rounds, insertion difficulties on a closed bolt, and overall flimsy construction, there's no reason to buy these over GI aluminum or pmags. I think a lot of people buy them for the aesthetics, but in actual use they suck.

ColtSeavers
11-17-15, 16:12
The only other things I can think of besides outright return/replacement is that you might want to take measurements of the Hexmags (width and length) as well and compare that to measurements of other mags. Perhaps the Hexmags are larger length and/or width? Also see if the over-insertion tab is somehow getting caught inside the magwell?

My only experience with polymer mags is with Troy Battlemags, they work.

Leuthas
11-17-15, 16:14
I have had terrible luck with hexmags, but admittedly my sample size is small. However, when you get misfeeds, bulging at the top when loaded with 30 rounds, insertion difficulties on a closed bolt, and overall flimsy construction, there's no reason to buy these over GI aluminum or pmags. I think a lot of people buy them for the aesthetics, but in actual use they suck.

I've observed some similar issues with hexmags bulging when fully loaded and failing to feed on the first round, as well as binding issues when exposed to a bit of Washington's pyrite saturated river sand.

Anecdotally, pmags and GI mags tend to fair well in the same scenario.

poriggity
11-17-15, 20:37
Anyone running 10 round mags problem free? I'm in commiefornia, and can't have more than 10 round mags, I'm just wondering if a shorter mag would flex less..

jk6672
11-18-15, 08:33
I just ordered 10 of the 10/30's to try out.

yhmspecter
11-20-15, 06:01
I have a sample size of 4 of the 30 round hexmags, my experience with them mirrors the other posts. When fully loaded to 30 they are a bear to seat on a closed bolt, and on open bolts they produce a malfunction right off the bat the round hangs up and doesn't chamber.

I was using them in a class recently I figured it was a good place to shake them down. All four of the magazines had the same issues with mis feeding on open bolts every time or having to smash them to seat into the gun. The instructor from the class hadn't seen any Hexmags before thise and suggested I download them to 28 to see of that fixes the issue. I haven't tried the 28 round trick but honestly if it's a 30 round mag it should function with 30 rounds at least that's my thoughts. I Was also using a mix of Gen2, Gen3 pmags as well as a few GI mags and had no malfunctions.

I'm going to keep them(hexmags) and continue to use them in training only, but as stated by Slippers I can't see any reason to use them over Pmags or GI mags. Lesson learned for me I think

jwfuhrman
11-20-15, 06:48
I've been running these for 3gun, training classes and 5 of them as dedicated 300blkout mags. Feeds the 300blkout 100% and the 5000 to 6000 of 5.56 that I've put thru the rest have functioned perfectly. Used 10 hexmags exclusively during a D3 Carbine class from Haley and then again during a D5 Carbine and they function just fine.

K1tt3n5
11-20-15, 14:25
They've taken on a gimmicky feel to me now that everyone is offering wraps and uber sweet hex patterned graphics. Gi and pmags have been proven.

Slippers
11-20-15, 16:26
I've been running these for 3gun, training classes and 5 of them as dedicated 300blkout mags. Feeds the 300blkout 100% and the 5000 to 6000 of 5.56 that I've put thru the rest have functioned perfectly. Used 10 hexmags exclusively during a D3 Carbine class from Haley and then again during a D5 Carbine and they function just fine.

Wow, yours must be different than the ones I've used. They definitely don't work well for me across a selection of lowers.

BlueHound
11-21-15, 06:55
I really like the functionality of the Hexmags, they work great for me. Granted, I only have four of them, and they're the 10/30 version (CA). My issue is that 2 out of the 4 can load 11. So all of the jail time of a 30 rounder, but with the limited capacity of 11? Not entirely thrilled, but I checked that as soon as I received them and caught it early. Sent an email so I'll see if they'll help me out. My concern is for the average guy that gets pulled over for a traffic stop and ends up in booking cus he "had nothing to worry about".

tula1953r
11-22-15, 19:06
I won a Hexmag at the Northern Rockies MG Shoot last summer. The 30 round mag functions fine,but it does feel lower quality than a Magpul mag.

Sent from my C6740 using Tapatalk

Chunky_Lover
11-24-15, 08:14
I live in Ca so were forced to use the 10 rd mags
so for me they are half the cost of blocked pmags
which is nice, but they do feel cheap and like half the weight of a pmag

never had issues but on one rifle the ares scr
just hard to insert and chamber a round for some reason and that rifles magwell is half as long as the typical ar magwell

but they work in all my ar's

Not sure how cheap they are in free states compared to pmags

I can get the hex mag like $12 shipped and pmags around $20-25 shipped

BlueHound
11-26-15, 06:42
The first email I sent to Hexmag about the 11 round Hexmags was replied to with a guy blaming me and telling me that they hear that often but it's "the users" fault. That was a kick in the balls, as I wasn't forcing them in. Any LE would easily load 11 and then I'd have to answer for it. So I answered back to the guy, and expressed my feelings. The next day, a different guy answered, apologized for his employee, and immediately offered to send me more mags. He also asked that I hammer or baseball bat them, or "give em to a kid on too much sugar". I thought that was funny.
I just felt obligated to tell everyone that even though they made a mistake, they eventually came around and made it right. Alot of companies don't care about one lil customer like me, especially over $30. Was planning on switching to Pmag only, but after hearing from the second guy, Hunter, I feel like this is a company with integrity, and I'd like to support companies like this. Still will buy Pmags for variety, but Hexmags are back on the buy list.

jk6672
11-26-15, 09:09
That's good to here. I just received ten, and they only except ten, and looking forward to seeing how longevity/durability will go. I won't abuse them, but I won't baby them either. I took them apart and put my Thorton bullet button tool on the bottom forward section of the magazine end cap. For me it seems the best place to place them

BlueHound
11-26-15, 09:15
Gonna have to check out this Thornton tool you speak of. I've been looking for something to make the mag change a lil easier. Although, I've already made it an everyday practice to keep a round in my change pocket lol. *Thorton

jk6672
11-26-15, 09:40
I'll snap some pics of it today. It's a no brainer if you're a south paw, or ambi shooter.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/663/23244906681_c42b5700f6_z.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5807/22959553539_0071f0b75a_z.jpg

I didn't use the supplied washer to keep it flush as possible.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5795/23244903271_5ab41046dd_z.jpg

I used a dremel sanding barrel to make a slight groove for the screw head
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5627/23219168722_93f2906e88_z.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5622/23219168302_83526b8a09_z.jpg

andersenvincent7
12-03-15, 19:10
Has anyone run these long enough and hard enough to determine if they are good to go or not? I have seen some reports of them having issues.

jk6672
12-03-15, 20:10
I haven't had them long, but the only obstacle I've ran into is you really have to it a hard tap the bottom of the magazine if you're inserting a full mag and the bolt is forward

HNT2EAT
12-07-15, 09:23
Just ran through a bunch of them. Magpul seems to be a much better all around mag option (fit & finish)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk