PDA

View Full Version : Department of Energy likes Glock

Slater
08-19-14, 07:11
I guess, if it ain't broke then don't fix it:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=176e58893e6a317b4452add96ed6f303&tab=core&_cview=0

GH41
08-19-14, 14:04
Just more writing on the wall fellows. Before it's over with every government employ will be armed and the lady at the social security office won't give me my check until I hand over my guns!

Apricotshot
08-19-14, 14:28
I would hope the agnecy responsible for transporting nuclear weapons by semi-truck through the country is well armed. This is hardly the EPA.

Alpha Sierra
08-19-14, 15:13
Just more writing on the wall fellows. Before it's over with every government employ will be armed and the lady at the social security office won't give me my check until I hand over my guns!
Put the tinfoil away. Guess who is responsible for the security of a significant portion of the fissile nuclear material in this country?

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-14, 17:26
GLOCK 17, good choice.

SteyrAUG
08-19-14, 17:38

Department of energy has been armed as long as I can remember, DOE M-16 variants go back decades.

VIP3R 237
08-19-14, 17:41
Put the tinfoil away. Guess who is responsible for the security of a significant portion of the fissile nuclear material in this country?

Exactly. My boss used to work at the TTR in Nevada for the DOE. They have guns for a reason. He was issued Glock 22's, so its is interesting to see them going to the 9mm.

Moose-Knuckle
08-19-14, 17:47
I would hope the agnecy responsible for transporting nuclear weapons by semi-truck through the country is well armed. This is hardly the EPA.

I used to know a guy that rode shotgun on said transports after he got out of the 75th. We have no idea of what is being driven through the country in all those un-marked rigs. In the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind the DoD used trucks painted like common commerical trucks of the day (Piggly Wiggly, Baskins Robbins 31). I thought that was a nice touch by Spielberg.

ST911
08-19-14, 17:54

Let's keep this thread about the buy please. Stuff like the above can stay in the multiple other militiarization/government-out-of-control threads.

T2C
08-19-14, 17:58
The Glock 17 is a solid choice. With the advances in technology in bullet design, I believe you will see more agencies switching back to the 9mm from the .40 S&W.

NCPatrolAR
08-19-14, 19:42
werent they using P220s at one point?

Apricotshot
08-20-14, 06:01
werent they using P220s at one point?

As of 2008 when I was offered a job there they were.

Alpha Sierra
08-20-14, 07:15
Exactly. My boss used to work at the TTR in Nevada for the DOE. They have guns for a reason. He was issued Glock 22's, so its is interesting to see them going to the 9mm.

They also guard the joint USN/DoE naval propulsion nuclear reactor prototype sites.

Apricotshot
08-20-14, 08:23
They also guard the joint USN/DoE naval propulsion nuclear reactor prototype sites.

When I was on a refuel/defeul in Portsmouth they had DOE guys there. They carried M9s, though which at the time I thought was wierd. I never asked if they were OST or not.

williejc
08-22-14, 20:42
I had not heard of a sole source purchase. Has it been around very long?