PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade M&P9 or New HK VP9

kt1589
08-22-14, 10:08
So here's what I'm looking at. I recently acquired an older (2006), but barely fired (less than 100 rounds) M&P9 and cash in a trade. My thought was to do some parts upgrades, stippling, new holster, etc. to the M&P with the cash, and it would be my new CCW. However, I have been really looking at the HK VP9. I've done plenty of reading on the VP9, but just haven't been able to get my hands one yet until now. My friendly neighborhood gun store has a couple in stock ready for the taking.

So if you were in my shoes would you put the cash toward the upgrades to the M&P or get a new VP9? Thanks for your thoughts.

Hmac
08-22-14, 12:11
I have an older M&P 9 with DCAEK and a Storm Lake barrel. Both my VP9 and my PPQ are vastly superior handguns IMHO virtually every respect. Between the VP9 and the PPQ, I'd give the edge, marginally, to the VP9 but the difference between them is definitely going to be based on personal preference rather than any objective measure of superiority.

WickedWillis
08-22-14, 12:28
So here's what I'm looking at. I recently acquired an older (2006), but barely fired (less than 100 rounds) M&P9 and cash in a trade. My thought was to do some parts upgrades, stippling, new holster, etc. to the M&P with the cash, and it would be my new CCW. However, I have been really looking at the HK VP9. I've done plenty of reading on the VP9, but just haven't been able to get my hands one yet until now. My friendly neighborhood gun store has a couple in stock ready for the taking.

So if you were in my shoes would you put the cash toward the upgrades to the M&P or get a new VP9? Thanks for your thoughts.

You should be able to install an Apex trigger and buy some ammo and be good to go with a fantastic 9mm. Stippling is completely proprietary, and really should not be factored into the cost IMO. The M&P will serve you exceptionally well, like I said, the only gripe I have is the trigger on the older models like the one you have. Magazines, holsters, and other accessories are also less money and more readily available right now as well.

mizer67
08-22-14, 12:56
An H&K VP9 out of the box is going to be good to go.

M&P is going to need at least (for a 2006 gun) trigger work, slide stop, firing pin block, spring and plunger and may need to re-barrel to be anywhere close to as accurate as a VP9 - and the only barrel that can really improve the M&P 9mm accuracy issue is the SL one from G&R. It also might need an Apex failure resistant extractor in that S/N range.

Either of them will probably need new sights, although the night sights on the VP9 LE model aren't bad.

My estimation is, unless you paid very little for the M&P to begin with, to equal the VP9 you're gonig to have more money into your M&P than a new VP9 by the time you're done. About the only benefit to going the upgrade route that I can see is the M&P shoots softer and flatter and I've never had a failure to lock back on empty due to my grip like I do with the VP9 (although my M&P auto-forwards constantly). I seriously doubt you'll see much difference on the timer between either gun though.

The biggest piece of this cost though is a new fitted barrel, so if you're M&P is accurate enough for you, then you might come out money ahead to upgrade it.

para13cord
08-22-14, 12:59
Id say upgrade the S&W and have a kick ass carry gun.

TehLlama
08-22-14, 14:45
I'd at least handle, and if possible shoot the VP9 before deciding - if it points and handles well for you, and you enjoy the magazine release then I'd go with that. For my part, with the FSS kit (or DCAEK and some polishing) the M&P is more than adequate for trigger quality for the money, and the slightly higher onboard magazine (17 > 15) capacity offsets some of that capability. The HK or S&W sights from 10-8 would be on my to-do list for either (note to self, need to order that set for my second M&P9). Right now the aftermarket is where the M&P has the lead (mag extensions, sights, SL barrels, laser grips) while the VP9 is new, and will suffer from scarcity of some stuff (like spare magazines).

I'm really a huge fan of my M&Ps, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice not looking closely at the VP9 and seeing if those smaller things lean you one direction or another. For me the mag catch on the HK45 was a deal-breaker, otherwise I'd be sitting on a pair of HK45c's, same applies for the VP9; once I started leaning towards the M&P9's with thumb safety, the FSS kit from Apex just outright sealed the deal - I'm sure there's a post floating around explaining my journey there.

travward89
08-22-14, 15:40
I spent a year and a half trying to get my m&p exactly how I wanted it for ccw. The lack of accuracy past 20 yards really bothered me. I stippled, added new sights, apex kit, new barrel and still never got the gun how I wanted. The vp9 on the other hand has been amazing. The accuracy is fantastic and all it really needs in my opinion is new sights (for now mine are blacked out with a sharpie). The choice is up to you but after struggling with this same problem, I chose the vp9.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-22-14, 17:44
If you like how the Vp9 feels I think you will be better off. I got tired of nursing my M&Ps and put them on consignment after I got my Vp9.

ralph
08-22-14, 18:03
If you like how the Vp9 feels I think you will be better off. I got tired of nursing my M&Ps and put them on consignment after I got my Vp9.

I know I don't miss the M&P's I had.....The VP9 is a excellent out of the box handgun, that really only needs better sights....

Biggy
08-22-14, 18:15
Are current production M&P 9MM pistols still prone to jamming now and then when inserting mags hard enough to cause the slide to auto forward ? I don't mind the auto forwarding part that much, but
the jamming / failure to feed I would mind very much. Maybe this issue has long since been fixed and currently manufactured M&P 9mm pistols have no issue with this. I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-w2i7OWkyY

RWCRaiden
08-22-14, 19:53
I'd suggest the VP9.

opmike
08-22-14, 20:04
The older M&P's just have too many potential issues for me to consider one of them. Accuracy issues and the awful trigger will take money to correct that you can just put towards the VP9.

My old M&P would also cause JHP to nose-dive into the feed ramp if I let the slide auto-forward like in nickdrak's video linked to above. One grows tired of nursing a NIB guns back to health, very tired.

MattDFW
08-22-14, 23:27
MY VP9 has been great out of the box. Sold off my M&P compacts as well. M&P might as well stand for "Money Pit" in my experience.

RWH24
08-23-14, 00:12
I had a 2011 M&P9 PRO 4.25" and a 2012 M&P9 PRO 5". Both were good except for the grungy/crunchy trigger. Sold both and bought 2 new M&P9's from Grant with APEX parts installed. I thought about the VP9, but I am too satisfied with the G&R Tactical M&P's.
To each his own devices...

TCB
08-23-14, 03:18
I own a fully upgraded M&P (APEX trigger & internals), Storm Lake fitted barrel, stippling with 10-8 sights...and a VP9. The M&P shoots like a lazer beam for me I've been very happy with it, I had another one in .40 with APEX internals that I was running with a factory 9 barrel and was very happy with it as well. The M&P line is excellent and with the APEX internals they are hard to beat for me.
Then the VP9 was released...I'm issued a H&K pistol at work and thought it might be a great training gun as it has the same type of magazine release as my duty gun. I picked up the LE version and sofar have been impressed. With limited time behind it it has proven to be as accurate as my Storm Lake fitted M&P. The trigger is nice, very nice, not as light as the APEXE'd M&P's and it has a longer reset than both with and with out the APEX trigger. The thing is...I'm not sure it matters? They are both extremely useable and the VP9 trigger is good enough for me to do anything I need to to with this pistol. I have a Wilson 1911 and even with its excellent trigger I don't know that I shoot it much better (running drills, at matches etc...I'm sure as a bullseye gun it would excell but that isn't something I do). The VP9 seemed to reset better for me (better than both the M&P and my 1911) during the recoil cycle and I found that I was right back at the wall ready to break the next shot as soon as the front sight settled.
If I wasn't issued a H&K I most likely would not have given this pistol a 2nd look as I was very happy with my M&P's but I'm glad I did. I think that there is a lot of time is spent chaseing the "perfect" pistol and I don't think it's a bad thing, but, finding a sidearm that works for you and is shootable/reliable is, for me, the end game. The VP9 is that for me, if it's a Glock or an M&P for you carry on. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of thoes sidearms (I had a G19 for a few years and really wish it worked for me, my life would have been simpler).
I will say that the VP9 is the most comfortable pistol I've ever held...and that the H&K lever mag release has really grown on me over the years (I was a "1911 guy" for a long time) and it was my biggest complaint about my issued gun when I first got it. I think that I actually might like it better than my GASP!!! Wilson... That was really hard to say the first time but...damn if it ain't true.
As of now I sold off my M&P .40 and will be moving the Storm Lake fitted 9mm one to the bedside table for bumps in the night with a X300U on it. I'll be picking up a 2nd VP9 soon and it will become my primary training gun along side my duty pistol (P2000).

Hmac
08-23-14, 07:08
Are current production M&P 9MM pistols still prone to jamming now and then when inserting mags hard enough to cause the slide to auto forward ? I don't mind the auto forwarding part that much, but
the jamming / failure to feed I would mind very much. Maybe this issue has long since been fixed and currently manufactured M&P 9mm pistols have no issue with this. I don't know.

My M&P auto-forwards about 85% of the time. It's been reliable-no feeding or ejection issues ever, but it terms of shootability, and "quality" feel, it doesn't come close to the PPQ or the VP9. Mine has moved from the back of the safe to the "for sale" list.

PatrioticDisorder
08-23-14, 07:09
I own both, if the VP9 was out a few years ago I would not own any M&Ps. If not heavily invested in M&Ps I'd opt for the VP9. However, I have a ton of mags, holsters etc and will not be getting rid of my M&Ps. They are good guns, but I now prefer the VP9.

Hmac
08-23-14, 09:52
I own both, if the VP9 was out a few years ago I would not own any M&Ps. If not heavily invested in M&Ps I'd opt for the VP9. However, I have a ton of mags, holsters etc and will not be getting rid of my M&Ps. They are good guns, but I now prefer the VP9.

I'm in the same boat. Holsters, magazines, Arredondo extensions, Warren sights. I had to add a DCAEK to make the trigger even useable, and had to get a hand-fitted Storm Lake barrel to give it even reasonable accuracy. After a couple of years of never shooting it, it's finally on the block and I'll just have to choke on the "investment". I can't envision anything that would make me go back to using it.

My Glock 19 was even worse, but it's already gone.

kt1589
08-23-14, 10:13
Here's what it looks like it will probably end up costing to upgrade the M&P (estimated):

Stormlake barrel - $125
10-8 Sights - $95
10-8 basepads - $40
Apex FSS - $160
Slide stop - $20
Total - $440

I could get a new M&P with three mags for less than that. Or put that money towards the VP9. Geez.

mizer67
08-23-14, 12:44
Here's what it looks like it will probably end up costing to upgrade the M&P (estimated):

Stormlake barrel - $125
10-8 Sights - $95
10-8 basepads - $40
Apex FSS - $160
Slide stop - $20
Total - $440

I could get a new M&P with three mags for less than that. Or put that money towards the VP9. Geez.

I wouldn't spend the money on the SL barrel unless it's an oversized gunsmith fit barrel from G&R. That's more like $200. You'd likely just be burning that cash as a std. barrel is not likely to improve accuracy much, if at all. That being said I'd make sure and shoot it first at 25 yds. if you haven't as either might be a waste if you've got a good shooting M&P. They are out there, but are kind of like finding a white buffalo.

Also, I'd make sure and switch out the FP block, sear spring and plunger to the larger version as well, particularly if you're going to run the FSS sear.

However, you're going to spend money on sights for either a VP9 or M&P so I wouldn't include that in your calculation.

Striker
08-23-14, 18:39

Stormlake barrel - $125
10-8 Sights - $95
10-8 basepads - $40
Apex FSS - $160
Slide stop - $20
Total - $440

Does the M&P have a thumb safety? If not, are you comfortable carrying a gun with the Apex FSS and no TS? What are you using now as your CC pistol? Are you invested in holsters for the M&P? I assume you're not, but I don't know. Have you shot the M&P for groups at 25 yards? If so, what were the results?

If you're not deeply invested in holsters and parts for M&Ps, my opinion is that if the M&P does 3" groups at 25 yards, then it's an interesting decision. If not, it's not. M&Ps are generally reliable, but the auto forward issue and, most importantly, the accuracy issue are deal killers for me personally. If the gun shoots 5" plus groups at 25 yards, I just wouldn't put the money into it. And yes, some of those problem pistols are taken care of by the fitted SL barrel, but there have also been reports of 3"-4" groups even with the fitted barrel. How much of that is the gun and how much is the shooter is unknown, but if that's all you get out of it, you can do that well or better with a stock Glock, Beretta, HK, Sig or CZ.

And if you're unaware, Wilson Combat just released or are about to release a replacement barrel for the M&P 9FS.

That's just what I think and if you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of the M&P, so I may not be the best judge. I will say this though, if I had an M&P9 that worked well, I wouldn't sell it to get a different 9mm because I don't really gain anything by doing that.

brushy bill
08-23-14, 18:55
No offense intended, but this isn't even a close comparison. HK is superior in every respect. I have both. Modifications required to bring the older MP up to speed exceed cost of HK and you still have a gun that probably does not have same quality construction. Only plus for HK in my opinion is no parts yet available for VP9. That and holster availability. Otherwise easy choice with HK being more gun at less cost.

kt1589
08-24-14, 15:34
Does the M&P have a thumb safety? If not, are you comfortable carrying a gun with the Apex FSS and no TS? What are you using now as your CC pistol? Are you invested in holsters for the M&P? I assume you're not, but I don't know. Have you shot the M&P for groups at 25 yards? If so, what were the results?

If you're not deeply invested in holsters and parts for M&Ps, my opinion is that if the M&P does 3" groups at 25 yards, then it's an interesting decision. If not, it's not. M&Ps are generally reliable, but the auto forward issue and, most importantly, the accuracy issue are deal killers for me personally. If the gun shoots 5" plus groups at 25 yards, I just wouldn't put the money into it. And yes, some of those problem pistols are taken care of by the fitted SL barrel, but there have also been reports of 3"-4" groups even with the fitted barrel. How much of that is the gun and how much is the shooter is unknown, but if that's all you get out of it, you can do that well or better with a stock Glock, Beretta, HK, Sig or CZ.

And if you're unaware, Wilson Combat just released or are about to release a replacement barrel for the M&P 9FS.

That's just what I think and if you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of the M&P, so I may not be the best judge. I will say this though, if I had an M&P9 that worked well, I wouldn't sell it to get a different 9mm because I don't really gain anything by doing that.

My current weapon is an M&P9 with TS. No mods have been done, other than sights due to dept policies. Only other investmets have been the expected spare mags and holster. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the newly acquired M&P. Don't know when I'll get a chance to live fire it. The trigger during dry fire so far is typical of the older M&Ps. The new one does not have a TS, but that's no issue. I was not aware of Wilson Combat's M&P barrel and will take a look at it.

It still seems I could be putting more money into the new one than it's worth.

Striker
08-24-14, 17:18
My current weapon is an M&P9 with TS. No mods have been done, other than sights due to dept policies. Only other investmets have been the expected spare mags and holster. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the newly acquired M&P. Don't know when I'll get a chance to live fire it. The trigger during dry fire so far is typical of the older M&Ps. The new one does not have a TS, but that's no issue. I was not aware of Wilson Combat's M&P barrel and will take a look at it.

It still seems I could be putting more money into the new one than it's worth.

Hard for someone else to determine whether it's worth the money or not. Sights are something you would have to buy either way, so that's a wash monetarily. And the replacement barrel will only be necessary if the gun is one that shoots shotgun patterns at 25 yards. If it's one of the good ones, why replace the barrel?

I still think it comes down to which gun you want more. Personally if I carried a pistol with a TS for work, I would carry one with a TS when I'm not at work as well. That's me though and not everyone agrees. I'll say again that I dislike the M&P, but if it works for you; it does. And the VP is only a better choice if you think it's going to be a better pistol for YOU. The you part is the important part. Otherwise it's just another SF pistol, if that makes sense.

notorious_ar15
08-25-14, 19:04
My .02

I would suggest also trying out the VP9 first if you have a chance, along with accuracy testing the M&P as other posters have mentioned, before making a decision.

I've been lucky enough to shoot a friend's VP9. The trigger is great - what a Glock should be; however, despite trying every combination of back straps, I could not find anything that made the pistol 100% comfortable for my hands. To me, the hump on the backstraps always felt too high up. I shot the gun well, but it never felt 'just right' for me. Maybe somebody will start making a flatter backstrap as an aftermarket option at some point, who knows?

Other features I found good on the VP9 though were the mag release (I like the paddle style if done right), and the slide release also worked very well for me - I was able to reach & manipulate it with my strong-hand thumb easily.

murphman
08-27-14, 13:58
My .02

I would suggest also trying out the VP9 first if you have a chance, along with accuracy testing the M&P as other posters have mentioned, before making a decision.

I've been lucky enough to shoot a friend's VP9. The trigger is great - what a Glock should be; however, despite trying every combination of back straps, I could not find anything that made the pistol 100% comfortable for my hands. To me, the hump on the backstraps always felt too high up. I shot the gun well, but it never felt 'just right' for me. Maybe somebody will start making a flatter backstrap as an aftermarket option at some point, who knows?

Other features I found good on the VP9 though were the mag release (I like the paddle style if done right), and the slide release also worked very well for me - I was able to reach & manipulate it with my strong-hand thumb easily.

The small size back strap makes a world of difference if you feel the hump is too large on the mediums.

I actually had the opportunity to compare my VP9 with two M&P9's yesterday at the range. One was a brand new stock M&P9 and the other had APEX upgrades. Being both had up to date barrels, neither came close to the accuracy of an out the box VP9.

I am not going to trash the trigger on a stock M&P9 or the APEX too much because maybe I would like it with more practice but initially from this range session I absolutely hated both. I wear gloves at the range (PIG) and I could not feel the reset on the APEX triggered M&P.

The only win I felt the M&P9 with APEX had on the VP9 was the reset was much shorter BUT... that was over shadowed by something else. I do not know if any others have felt the same but the location of the break and reset/break to me is way the heck back near the front side of the magazine well inside the trigger guard. This did not impact my groups that I could tell but it sure did impact my POA/POI.

To the OP, in my opinion there is no way you can make this decision without trying them both for yourself. Just my .02

Trajan
08-27-14, 15:39
I am not going to trash the trigger on a stock M&P9 or the APEX too much because maybe I would like it with more practice but initially from this range session I absolutely hated both. I wear gloves at the range (PIG) and I could not feel the reset on the APEX triggered M&P.
You shouldn't be doing this anyway. Reset the trigger during recoil.

murphman
08-27-14, 15:51
You shouldn't be doing this anyway. Reset the trigger during recoil.

Can you please clarify your commend?

Trajan
08-27-14, 15:59
Can you please clarify your commend?

You are suppose to reset while the slide is still cycling, not waiting until it has already settled and then releasing to reset.

If you have not been exposed to this yet, I HIGHLY recommend taking a pistol class from LAV and Hackathorn.

murphman
08-27-14, 16:05
You are suppose to reset while the slide is still cycling, not waiting until it has already settled and then releasing to reset.

If you have not been exposed to this yet, I HIGHLY recommend taking a pistol class from LAV and Hackathorn.

I have not taken a class from LAV or Ken but would love to, in the mean time are you suggesting that the reset cannot be felt while the slide is still cycling? Please PM me so we do not derail this thread.

Thanks Trajan,

C4IGrant
08-27-14, 16:15
I have not taken a class from LAV or Ken but would love to, in the mean time are you suggesting that the reset cannot be felt while the slide is still cycling? Please PM me so we do not derail this thread.

Thanks Trajan,

If you are resetting the trigger under recovery (of your sights getting back onto the target), you won't even feel a trigger reset. On top of this, if you watch professional shooters run a trigger, their fingers typically go the FULL LENGTH of the trigger pull (instead of trying to find the exact reset point). Thusly giving the same trigger pull each and every time.

C4

murphman
08-27-14, 16:21
If you are resetting the trigger under recovery (of your sights getting back onto the target), you won't even feel a trigger reset. On top of this, if you watch professional shooters run a trigger, their fingers typically go the FULL LENGTH of the trigger pull (instead of trying to find the exact reset point). Thusly giving the same trigger pull each and every time.

C4

Thanks Grant much appreciated, PM sent your way.

MegademiC
08-27-14, 21:50
Full discloser: I have an M&P40 from 2012 and love it. Previous gun was a cz40compact with SAO trigger - polished by me. (I wanted 9mm both times but was not meant to be).

My advice would be to (if you are a good) shoot the M&P at 25-50yds on a few different occasions, and different types of ammo, and see what kind of accuracy you can get with it.

If there are any accuracy issues, go with the VP9 and forget it. If good accuracy (9-12moa) can be had, see below:

I don't find the M&P trigger offensive, in fact, I shoot my M&P better than my cz with custom trigger. I don't know if my M&P trigger is one of the revisions or not. If you find the trigger needing replacement, I would probably go with the VP9.

That said, I would shoot the VP9 before diving in.

M&P, PPQ, VP9, G19... If you have a verified accurate and reliable gun, pick the one you like for looks or feel and start training, get mags, and support, then learn how to shoot.

Starting from scratch I'd probably go VP9 just because I wouldn't be looking for BTF or accuracy issues.

On the flip side, you could have the m&p with good NS and 4 mags for the price of the VP9.

JHC
08-28-14, 06:17
Bowie Tactical would I believe strongly recommend the M&P for hard use. He pretty much raped the VP9s complex design with potentially fragile small parts and tenuous anchoring of same on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=811235928897585&set=p.811235928897585&type=1&theater

jpmuscle
08-28-14, 06:28
Bowie Tactical would I believe strongly recommend the M&P for hard use. He pretty much raped the VP9s complex design with potentially fragile small parts and tenuous anchoring of same on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=811235928897585&set=p.811235928897585&type=1&theater
That's a pretty underwhelming level of criticism IMO. Valid, sure but it seems a bit much this early in the game.

Talon167
08-28-14, 06:35

I am not trying to say his opinions are not valid, because what do I know? But I am always weary when one makes his business modifying M&Ps, telling everyone that they should only buy M&Ps.

JHC
08-28-14, 06:43
I am not trying to say his opinions are not valid, because what do I know? But I am always weary when one makes his business modifying M&Ps, telling everyone that they should only buy M&Ps.

He'd recommend Glocks too but that wasn't on the OP's menu. ;)

ralph
08-28-14, 07:21

I seem to remember that for whatever reason Bowie Tactical doesn't like HK's..and has made that known in the past, Taking that into consideration, I'd say his opinions of the VP9, is just more diatribe.. Myself, I believe the exact opposite.. It's been pretty clear that HK at least takes the time to work the bugs out, Rather than S&W's approach, and let the customers do the beta testing for them.....

C4IGrant
08-28-14, 07:58

Luckily, HK does a great job of testing their pistols and are known for reliability. The "music wire" is braided and don't see it breaking or easily getting snagged on anything.

Time will tell though.

C4

YVK
08-28-14, 07:59
That's a pretty underwhelming level of criticism IMO. Valid, sure but it seems a bit much this early in the game.

I personally don't care for VP9, but I don't think it is even a valid criticism. Trigger bar wire design is borrowed from Mark23, and nobody has heard a single complaint about it. About RDS mounting, in this day and age many people gave a very strong effort to pistol mounted RDS and left the idea until the next day and age in mini RDS design.

Talon167
08-28-14, 08:01
Luckily, HK does a great job of testing their pistols and are known for reliability. The "music wire" is braided and don't see it breaking or easily getting snagged on anything.

Time will tell though.

C4

First thing I thought of when I was that was AK47.

Guinnessman
08-28-14, 08:20
Firearms that come from the factory with great accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics, for a similar price, pose a threat to those whose businesses depend on supplying aftermarket parts and improvements for competing firearms. It's nothing personal, just business.

polydeuces
08-28-14, 19:29
Unfortunately I find myself in a likewise dilemma. I'm talking myself out of it kinda like this....:

My Pro 5" won't group consistently (I'm being kind) past ~25 yards. I do like the gun - if it weren't for the awful inconsistency/inaccuracy. Plus I'm heavily invested in the platform (holsters, mags etc).
Grant's SL barrel-fix would change the accuracy, no question, but at close to $250, that sets me back in the coin I'm trying to horde for the VP9.
But it will fix the accuracy issue, and considering all I've invested so far, might as well; not planning on selling it; learned long ago selling guns is just dumb unless you need the dough.
Money disappears like water, guns don't go anywhere and hold or even increase in value.

So my new rationalization is to wait for the inevitable "L" version of the VP9, which I very much prefer and undoubtedly (.....HK, you hearing me...??)....will come....Right?

Meanwhile have Grant 'fix' the barrel, wait for the VP9L, giving me more time to collect coin and ultimately I will end up with 2 great platforms - more stuff to keep the wife confused. (..."New? Naaah, I've had that one forever, you don't remember? I know honey, you're right, they all look the same, I know"....:happy:)

How am I doing so far?

kt1589
08-29-14, 12:31
I wouldn't spend the money on the SL barrel unless it's an oversized gunsmith fit barrel from G&R. That's more like $200. You'd likely just be burning that cash as a std. barrel is not likely to improve accuracy much, if at all. That being said I'd make sure and shoot it first at 25 yds. if you haven't as either might be a waste if you've got a good shooting M&P. They are out there, but are kind of like finding a white buffalo.

Also, I'd make sure and switch out the FP block, sear spring and plunger to the larger version as well, particularly if you're going to run the FSS sear.

However, you're going to spend money on sights for either a VP9 or M&P so I wouldn't include that in your calculation.

I have a new slide stop and trigger bar assembly on the way. Does anyone know if it is necessary to replace the sear housing block and/or striker assembly as well? Leaning toward keeping the M&P because it may not cost as much as I think to do some upgrades.

C4IGrant
08-29-14, 12:33
I have a new slide stop and trigger bar assembly on the way. Does anyone know if it is necessary to replace the sear housing block and/or striker assembly as well? Leaning toward keeping the M&P because it may not cost as much as I think to do some upgrades.

A spare striker (specially if you do not have the latest version) is always a good idea. We have them in stock (BTW).

Check your SHB. If you have the small sear plunger, then you will want to change that out (or have Apex modify it for you) as it is a dead trigger risk.

C4

kt1589
08-29-14, 12:46
A spare striker (specially if you do not have the latest version) is always a good idea. We have them in stock (BTW).

Check your SHB. If you have the small sear plunger, then you will want to change that out (or have Apex modify it for you) as it is a dead trigger risk.

C4

Grant, was just on your site it shows out of stock for the 9/40/357. Not sure which sear plunger it has.

C4IGrant
08-29-14, 12:49
Grant, was just on your site it shows out of stock for the 9/40/357. Not sure which sear plunger it has.

Should be good now.

You must remove your SHB to find out what you have. If the gun was built prior to 2013, then you have an old on for sure.

C4

kt1589
08-29-14, 12:53
Should be good now.

You must remove your SHB to find out what you have. If the gun was built prior to 2013, then you have an old on for sure.

C4

This one was built in 2006. Now I'm back to deciding if I should just throw the money for upgrading toward the VP9...SMH.

C4IGrant
08-29-14, 12:55
This one was built in 2006. Now I'm back to deciding if I should just throw the money for upgrading toward the VP9...SMH.

Oh yeah, everything needs gutted in that gun!

C4

Exiledviking
08-29-14, 14:22
Grant, I also have a 2006 M&P9. Can you, please, give a list of what parts you recommend to be replaced? Obviously, I should start with the SHB.

C4IGrant
08-29-14, 14:29
Grant, I also have a 2006 M&P9. Can you, please, give a list of what parts you recommend to be replaced? Obviously, I should start with the SHB.

SHB
trigger bar
slide catch
trigger return spring (assuming you have never changed it out)
Apex Striker block (far superior to the factory one)
Striker assembly
Guide Rod assembly (assuming you have never changed it out)

Possibly the barrel and extractor (depends on how yours shoots).

Might be better to sell it and start over.

C4

bowietx
08-30-14, 13:05
Get the VP9. Revamping a gun to the lengths that are discussed above is unnecessary. The HK is in my opinion the better firearm out of the box.

Exiledviking
08-30-14, 17:12
That does seem like the expedient solution, however I am in California and the VP9 comes at substantial premium and I am still stuck with 10 round mags. I'll start replacing the above components. Also, the trigger on the M&P9 is very good (Apex parts). I already have a new guide rod assembly, striker assembly, and trigger return spring.
Will S&W replace the SHB if I'm having problems with it?

kt1589
09-02-14, 10:27
Get the VP9. Revamping a gun to the lengths that are discussed above is unnecessary. The HK is in my opinion the better firearm out of the box.

My thought as well. Sold the M&P this weekend to someone willing to take on those upgrades.

bowietx
09-03-14, 21:47
Excellent choice you won't be sorry for having done so, I very rarely sell a gun and I sold an M&P for the VP9, couldn't be happier with the decision. Let us know what you think of the VP9.