PDA

View Full Version : Which Leupold Scope for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in 308 Win.??

NYH1
08-23-14, 03:26
I just ordered a Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in 308 Win. (it has the 26" heavy barrel). Now I have to decide which scope I want to get for it. I really like Leupold Scopes. I had an issue with one of their scopes years ago and they went out of their way to fix it for me and then air shipped back on a Saturday so I would have it for the following Mondays opening day for deer season. That really meant a lot to me so I'm a very dedicated Leupold customer so I'm going to stick with a Leupold Scopes and Mounts.

The rifle is going to be mostly a target rifle that I'll add things to it as I go. Like a Timney Trigger, maybe a better stock, a bi pod and things like that. My budget for a new scope will be $500 to $550 not including the mounting system. I want a good high power scope.

I/we currently have five Leupolds, a VX-I 2-7x28mm Rimfire on our S&W MP15-22, a VX-II 2-7x33mm on my Rem. 7600 Carbine 30-06, a VX-1 2-7x33mm that I switch back and forth with QD mounts between that and my Aimpoint PRO on my Colt AR15 Carbine 223/5.56 (MT6400) this setup works awesome, a VX-1 3x9x40mm "lady's edition" on my wife's Rem. 700 Compact 243 Win. and a VX-II 4-12x40mm adj. opt. on my Remington 700 BDL 223 Rem. It's a tact driver and I really like that scope.

So I'm looking for a scope similar to my VX-II 4-12x40mm adj. opt. for my 308. However I'm not sure if I really need a scope with an adjustable optic. What do you guys think, I don't know the pro's and con's between having a 40mm or 50mm objective? I'm thinking maybe I should get something like a VX-2 series 4-12x40mm or 4-12x50mm, or a VX-3 4.5-14x40 for my 308 Win. Or maybe get a VX-2 6-18x40mm and put that on my Rem. 700 223 Rem. (I shoot A LOT SMALLER THINGS with my 223 then I will with my 308) then put my VX-II 4-12x40 adj. opt. from my 223 on my Rem. 700 308 Win. I've also been considering the fixed power FX-3 12x40mm adj. opt. for my 308.

Will the Mark AR Mod 1 4-12x40mm or 6-18x40mm Scopes work on a 308 Win.? I like the tactical look and the idea of being able to use adjustment nobs for elevation adjustments. However, the marking on the scope/caps are for 223/5.56. Can I get them for a 308?

How do "fine reticles" work on larger caliber rifles for long range shooting? I really like the "LR duplex" reticles but I might be limited to the "fine duplex" reticles on most of the scopes I'm looking at. What about the Custom Dial System (CDS), is that worth getting? How does it work?

Thanks for reading my short story, and I appreciate all the help and input I can get, NYH1.

Canonshooter
08-23-14, 17:01
So many great options when it comes to scopes. I would suggest nailing down the "mission" of this rifle and scoping it accordingly, especially when it comes to reticles.

Below is my 700 TAC Shitty Plastic Stock (SPS) in .308. I went with a SWFA 10X42 HD (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx) for its robust construction, clear optics and Mil-Quad Reticle. You might find something in the Vortex line to fit your needs and budget. And oh yes, I put it in a B&C stock and installed a Timney 510 trigger before I even fired a shot with it. It consistently shoots .5 MOA or better with Federal 168 Gold Metal Match (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=150) loads.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700-11.jpg

BTW, I'm originally from Long Island so I can relate to your sig. Good luck with the new stick!

Pappabear
08-23-14, 20:17
A fine reticle works fine. The custom turrets take your barrel length, bullet weight, velocity into account, then you just dial the distance into scope.

Ie on a regular scope with turrets you might dial in 7 mil or 23moa on the turret to hit 1,000 yards. Your custom turret would have 100-200-300..1,000 yards on the turret. It's works extremely well to 600 yards and some are spot on to 1,000. But each load will vary. So always keep your original turrets.

They are unnecessary. Just learned your load and your scope.

rcoodyar15
08-24-14, 07:00
A fine reticle works fine. The custom turrets take your barrel length, bullet weight, velocity into account, then you just dial the distance into scope.

Ie on a regular scope with turrets you might dial in 7 mil or 23moa on the turret to hit 1,000 yards. Your custom turret would have 100-200-300..1,000 yards on the turret. It's works extremely well to 600 yards and some are spot on to 1,000. But each load will vary. So always keep your original turrets.

They are unnecessary. Just learned your load and your scope.

I have several leopold scopes. Just put a Vx-6 4X24 tmoa on my precision rifle and love it. a little more than you want to spend but remember it will last a lifetime.

Canonshooter
08-24-14, 07:19
The FX3 12 X 40 looks good, I'd probably go with the fine crosshair/dot reticle, which is similar to the reticle in the Clearidge scope I use on my 22. That reticle works pretty well for target shooting.

What is the maximum range you intend to shoot? Bear in mind the arching trajectory of the .308 and a 1" tube scope doesn't have the amount of internal elevation adjustment of a 30 mm tube. Of course, a 20 MOA base will help offset that.

I understand your loyalty to the brand but be sure to take a look at some of the alternatives in the $500 range that might be better suited for your intended application;

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx with Mil-Quad Reticle (excellent reticle)!

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x44-Viper-HS-T-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P63836.aspx

Also, take a look at these rings -

http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47911.aspx

Seekins low rings on a Leupold MK 4 steel base bedded to receiver (http://www.murphyprecision.com/Page/Scope_Base_Bedding);

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/700-2.jpg

NYH1
08-25-14, 18:43
Thanks for the replies. This is going to be a target/shooting for fun gun. I'll shoot it from 100 yards out to 500 yards or so. I don't hand load so I'll try all the factory "match" type grade ammo I can find.

I really do like Leupold, however I'll look at some of the other brands in my price range. Also, I've never used a scope with adjustable turrets do dial in windage and elevation for different shots. I don't know about "mils" either.

Thanks again, NYH1.

SteveS
08-25-14, 20:30
Buy the highest quality of scope you can afford . My dad bought a Leupold scope in 1961 and in 1995 the coating on one of the lenses started to flake off I called Leupold and they said send it in. I had no receipt Leupold said we warranty our products for life. they fixed the scope and returned it within 2 weeks. Buy once cry once.

NYH1
08-26-14, 02:21
SteveS, I had a great experience with Leupold's Customer Service as well. They went well above and beyond to help me. I tend to stick with and deal with companies that have been there for me when I needed them. My budget is $500 to maybe $600 tops.

On the Leupold side I'm looking at their VX-2 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj. CDS, VX-3 4.5-14x40mm CDS, VX-3 4.5-14x40mm Adj. Obj. CDS or the FX-3 12x40mm Adj. Obj. Target Turrets. I don't know if crazy about the Target Turrets. Are they a good thing to have on a rifle like the one I'm putting together? How about adjustable objectives, are they needed? I also usually turn my scopes up to the highest power they have when shooting off the bench.

So the FX-3 12x40mm Adj. Obj. Target Turrets would be great if it came with the CDS system.

I'm not sure which other brands are good scopes for my price range.

Thanks, NYH1.

rcoodyar15
08-26-14, 06:33
Thanks for the replies. This is going to be a target/shooting for fun gun. I'll shoot it from 100 yards out to 500 yards or so. I don't hand load so I'll try all the factory "match" type grade ammo I can find.

I really do like Leupold, however I'll look at some of the other brands in my price range. Also, I've never used a scope with adjustable turrets do dial in windage and elevation for different shots. I don't know about "mils" either.

Thanks again, NYH1.

yeah the whole mil thing kind of confuses me. Guess if I had been trained by the military things would be different.

The thing I like about my leupolds is once you get settled into what load you are going to use you can send the information to leupold and they will make you a custom dial with the ranges on it. Then all you have to do is dial in the distance and your scope is on target.

Now my Tmoa scope has minute of angle marks. Pretty easy because each one is an inch at a hundred yards, 4 inches at four hundred yards and 8 inches at 800 yds.. Windage and elevation. That along with the dial makes those long shots a lot easier.

NYH1
08-27-14, 02:51
I guess if I was going to buy a Leupold today I'd probably get the FX-3 12x40mm AO Scope with either LR or Fine Duplex Reticles. All my other rifles/carbines are used for hunting of some sort. So when I'm walking into the woods, still hunting or deer drives I turn the scope power down as low as it'll go. Usually once I'm where I need to be and I'm not going to move anymore I usually turn the scope power all the way up.

This rifle isn't going to be used for hunting. So having a scope with a fixed 10 or 12 power isn't going to hurt me like it would if I was going to hunting with it. I've been and I'm still going to look at other brands....but I keep coming back to Leupold.

Thanks, NYH1.

NYH1
09-05-14, 18:32
Do the Leupold Scopes with the CDS system have a zero stop for when they're turned back to the low power setting?

Has anyone heard anything about Leupold's 6-18x40mm Scopes (either the VX-2 or Mark AR Mod1 series) having problems holding zero? Also, are the Vortex Viper HS-T Scopes comparable to the Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 Scopes?

Thanks, NYH1.

Avtech850
09-05-14, 21:22
I completely understand staying loyal to companies that have gone out of their way to help you so I won't throw my opinion in when it comes to optics.
You mentioned that you don't reload and you just planned on buying premium ammo instead. I have had really good luck with black hills, nosler and lapua factory ammo. Hornady makes pretty good stuff as well as the federal premium lines loaded with sierra, nosler and cor-bonn bullets.

NYH1
09-05-14, 23:11
I completely understand staying loyal to companies that have gone out of their way to help you so I won't throw my opinion in when it comes to optics.
You mentioned that you don't reload and you just planned on buying premium ammo instead. I have had really good luck with black hills, nosler and lapua factory ammo. Hornady makes pretty good stuff as well as the federal premium lines loaded with sierra, nosler and cor-bonn bullets.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

NYH1.

NYH1
09-14-14, 20:38
I went to our semi annual gun show this afternoon and bought a used Leupold VARI-X III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Tactical Scope with a 30mm tube, side focus and target turrets. It's in great shape.

NYH1.

NYH1
09-15-14, 03:20
Would a 15, 20 or 30 MOA offset rail/mount be worth going with now instead of the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and rings? I'm going to be shooting from 100 to 500 yards for now. I guess I could always go with the Dual Dovetail mounts and rings for now. Then if or when the time comes when I need to go with a 15, 20 or 30 MOA offset rail/mount on my 308, I could always put the Dual Dovetail mounts and rings on one of my other model 700's that now have the standard Leupold mounts and rings.

Thanks, NYH1.

HD1911
09-20-14, 19:32
I will always recommend a 1 Piece Scope Base (Picatinny M1913 Spec.)

Hard to go wrong with a Good 20moa Pic. Scope Base... Badger, Seekins, Near Mfg., Murphy Precision, NF, Leupod, etc.

Another point I would like you to consider... consider getting a Scope with a Milliradian Reticle w/ Mil. Knobs, wether it be second or first focal plane, of decent Quality.

Here's a great Review of some real good Tac. Scopes.... the clear winner for best Value is the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 FFP... these can be found used for under $1k. http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

You can jump into the game right the first go round', or keep incrementally buying/reselling to eventually get to the same place... once bitten by the Tac/LR Rifle Game.