PDA

View Full Version : Cor 15 piston

leadtag101
08-23-14, 15:00
I have a chance to buy brand new for 899.00,With free floating Quad rail.This seems like a ridiculously low price for a piston Ar and is loaded with tons of outstanding specs, they are as follows.Yes or no? Any good as far as Brand? Thanks for any help.

•Gas Piston Assembly w/adjustable gas settings •Mil-Spec forged 7075-T6 lower receiver w/Type III Class II hard-coat anodized finish, beveled Magwell for improved reloading speed, machined chevrons in front strap, & bullet pictogram safety markings •Mil-Spec forged 7075-T6 M-4 upper receiver w/Type III Class II hard-coat anodized finish, M4 feed ramps, 1913 Picatinny rail flat top w/dry lube internal finish & laser engraved T-markings •M4 profile stainless steel Match Grade 3-groove polygonal barrel w/1:8 twist •Proprietary monolithic, melonite-coated bolt carrier •Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI) bolt assembly •A-2 Flash Hider •Picatinny flat-top gas block (optics-ready design) •Features Magpul® MOE® MBUS front & rear sights, 6-position stock, pistol grip & PMAG® •Hardcore billet V.2 charging handle •Oversized trigger guard •Owner’s manual •Wt.: 6.2 lbs. (unloaded) •Lifetime Warranty

VIP3R 237
08-23-14, 15:07
NO.

Core is not a great company. Personally I would take advantage of BCM's awesome upper deals right now and pair it with a good quality lower.

Wake27
08-23-14, 15:52
Spend a couple of minutes searching here and you will answer a lot of your own questions but as VIP3R said, don't waste your money. Why do you want a piston?

NeoNeanderthal
08-23-14, 16:10
Jesus dude don't even go there. I've never personally handled a core15 piston gun but I've put some rounds down range with a friend of a friends DI core15. I have never handled a shittier AR15. It was absolute garbage. Even the "fit/finish" was crappy. Not to mention that it was extremely unreliable.

For that price you can get a Colt 6290. You could build a sweet bcm right now for that price as well. If you are not into buying guns on the internet swing by walmart and buy yourself a colt. The arguable perceived increase in reliability that a piston gun offers is negated by the fact that it's built with poor specs by a company that does not give a shit about quality control. You cannot get an affordable well built piston gun. They just don't exist yet.

Wake27
08-23-14, 16:26
Jesus dude don't even go there. I've never personally handled a core15 piston gun but I've put some rounds down range with a friend of a friends DI core15. I have never handled a shittier AR15. It was absolute garbage. Even the "fit/finish" was crappy. Not to mention that it was extremely unreliable.

For that price you can get a Colt 6290. You could build a sweet bcm right now for that price as well. If you are not into buying guns on the internet swing by walmart and buy yourself a colt. The arguable perceived increase in reliability that a piston gun offers is negated by the fact that it's built with poor specs by a company that does not give a shit about quality control. You cannot get an affordable well built piston gun. They just don't exist yet.

Plus with the quality of DIs out there now the ONLY reason for a piston is if you're running it suppressed. And even then its far from necessary. IMO at least. I was VERY close to buying a piston for my first AR and could not be happier that I didn't.

Sasahara
08-23-14, 16:31
As others have stated, move along. Piston ARs dont get a lot of love here unless used for very specific applications (and for good reason). Add to that the rather dubious reputation of Core and you might as well just spend your money elsewhere.

NeoNeanderthal
08-23-14, 16:36
I mean if you really want a piston and want to pony up for a SCAR, 416/mr556, or a LWRC then have at it. But as others have stated, they get no love here. To me thats a secondary concern. I wouldn't use a core15 screwdriver. Let alone a gun.

C4IGrant
08-23-14, 17:17
Buy a Colt LE6920 instead.

C4

Zim
08-23-14, 17:44
What the hell is a "Proprietary monolithic, melonite-coated bolt carrier?"

Wake27
08-23-14, 17:51

Bolt carrier and gas key are one piece maybe? Hell if I know.

Plasman
08-23-14, 23:24
Core has some of the shittiest assembly I've seen. I recently saw pics of one of their Core 30 rifles where the barrel was canted and almost touching the side of the FF rail. This same gun also had a misaligned FF rail so that the top rail didn't match that of the upper and a chewed up gas key. BTW, this is AFTER the gun had been supposedly fixed since the owner sent it back for not cycling. Needless to say, it still didn't cycle...

I saw on another forum last year where they sent a PD rifles with the FCG springs installed wrong.

TomMcC
08-23-14, 23:41

"Proprietary" is the scary word I think.

wildcard600
08-24-14, 00:03
haters gonna hate.....

just kidding. as advised get a BCM or Colt. i dont have any love for colt so i would go the BCM route, but i would rather someone get a colt over a pile of garbitch.

Iraqgunz
08-24-14, 00:49
Please take some time to educate yourself on choices. Plethora is the word of the day.

Tzintzuntzan
08-24-14, 14:12
Core rifles, in one word, suck. Don't buy Core, Windham, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, or Stag. These rifles are not built well enough to justify their existence. If you want a cheap piston upper to try out then look at a Huldra upper, there should be a link somewhere below the M4C logo to their website. These uppers and rifles have actually demonstrated their ability to properly function under moderately heavy use, which is more than the other companies I mentioned can reasonably claim.

Striker
08-24-14, 14:45
If you want a piston gun, get a piston gun. That's justification enough to buy one. But if you're going to buy one, don't cheap out on it; get a good one. Last time I looked that was HK, maybe LWRC. I'm sure there are others that I don't know about, but I would start with HK for obvious reasons. And honestly, if I wanted a piston AR, I'm not sure if I would even look beyond HK.

Just my opinion and whatever works for you does.

MistWolf
08-24-14, 16:33
You buy any AR, you're gonna get a piston

Ed L.
08-24-14, 18:33
You buy any AR, you're gonna get a piston

Please don't confuse the first time buyer.

MistWolf
08-24-14, 20:07
Lots of folks are already confused, which is what makes the whole subject of "piston" ARs frustrating. People think by getting a "piston" AR upper, they're getting something regular ARs don't have- a piston. This ignorance of the facts makes it very nearly impossible to explain the workings so that shooters can make an informed choice for themselves. Folks make claims about the pros and cons of the two variations of the uppers without any understanding all how they really work and that's why the subject has been hashed out without resolve, ad nauseam.

leadtag, ARs already have a piston. The tail of the bolt is the piston and the carrier the cylinder
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0013.jpg

Systems like the Cor 15 just moves the piston from the carrier to the gas block. The real question is, does a piston-in-gas block do anything a piston-in-carrier does not? Does the relocation of the piston from the carrier to the gas block give enough increase in performance to justify the added cost? After quite a bit of research, the answer I came up with for the first question is, little to none, depending on the quality of either. The answer I have come up with for the second question is, no.

leadtag, here is my answer to you in two parts-
-Cor 15 quality is not worth gambling my money or time on
-Buying a quality piston-in-carrier AR is a better value compared to the piston-in-gas block

Tzintzuntzan
08-24-14, 20:26
Ask LAV if the M16 is a piston gun, he'll say no but the bolt acts like a piston.

MistWolf
08-24-14, 20:36
With all due respect, the AR bolt is clearly a piston

RMiller
08-24-14, 20:43
Seriously, buy the colt or piece together the BCM. You won't regret it.

Tzintzuntzan
08-24-14, 21:43
With all due respect, the AR bolt is clearly a piston

I believe I said that though I admit I didn't say it in exactly the same way you did.

joeyjoe
08-24-14, 23:10
Seriously, buy the colt or piece together the BCM. You won't regret it.

Seconded! And if you are a first time AR buyer, the Colt is probably the best bet. If you fall head over heels into the stoner rifle quagmire, you can pick up a BCM middy of your choice the second time around ;)