PDA

View Full Version : .223 Subsonic Loads

alcante262
08-25-14, 17:49
Can anyone recommend some .223 subsonic loading data.

Onyx Z
08-25-14, 21:15
Why? That is more or less the same as a 22LR... if using in an AR, I'm 99% sure you will have cycling problems with it.

Stengun
08-25-14, 21:54
Howdy,

I don't have the data handy but I use pistol powders and the bulkier the better. I've used Trail Boss with good results using the PVRI 75gr bullet.

Subsonic loads will NOT cycle an AR unless you have an adjustable gas block, use a pistol powder like Blue Dot, and 90gr bullets.

HTH

Paul

Airhasz
08-25-14, 22:47
Do 90gr bullets even fit in a mag?

Stengun
08-25-14, 23:31
Howdy,

You have to seat them deep enough that they will fit in the mag. Since you will be using a small amount of pistol powder you don't need much case capacity.

If I was going to build a .22CF AR to shoot subsonic loads I would use either a .222 lenght case or something shorter like the .221 Fireball case and load it with the 90gr bullets and Blue Dot powder.

HTH

Paul

rcoodyar15
08-26-14, 06:38
Howdy,

You have to seat them deep enough that they will fit in the mag. Since you will be using a small amount of pistol powder you don't need much case capacity.

If I was going to build a .22CF AR to shoot subsonic loads I would use either a .222 lenght case or something shorter like the .221 Fireball case and load it with the 90gr bullets and Blue Dot powder.

HTH

Paul

If I wanted a suppressed AR I would go with the 300 Black Out.

.22 long rifle is supersonic. If you drop a .223 down to subsonic your looking at .22 short velocity.

markm
08-26-14, 08:46
.223 Subs are largely useless. If you are looking to have a few on hand for small pest control... maybe. But without a doubt you're looking at manual cycled ammo. I think some goofball operation had a load that would run an AR at one point, but I'll tell you that without a doubt, I wouldn't run that load in my gun or through my can.

I'm going to assume you have a silencer in the equation... Thus... loading a really long bullet is a bad idea. Seating a 90 gr bullet to mag length is a VERY BAD idea. BEGGING for a baffle strike. You might go to a 77 gr OTM with some Trail Boss.

I loaded some 55 gr Hornady Soft Points to sub, and they were mildly ammusing for a while. But you get to where you're spending too much time trickling these loads and it's one of those Santini Juice worth the Squeeze deals.

Also, Standard velocity 22 LR isn't supersonic. It's just that most common loads of LR are supersonic. Most of your high end match rimfire is subsonice even out of a rifle barrel.

Stengun
08-26-14, 08:53
Howdy,

If I wanted a suppressed AR I would go with the 300 Black Out.

.22 long rifle is supersonic. If you drop a .223 down to subsonic your looking at .22 short velocity.

Sure a .300BU/Whisper/etc would be nice but the OP asked about subsonic .223 loads. Actually if I was going to build a suppressed big bore AR I would go with something based on the 6.8 brass and .338" bullets.

You're missing the point. Plus most .22 short are supersonic, not subsonic.

No one makes a .22LR round that has the downrange terminal ballistics of a subsonic 60gr or heavier bullet. The Aguila 60gr SSS only has a muzzle velocity of about 950ft/sec with a round nose bullet and I have loaded a few .223's w/ Hornady 60gr HP @ 1,050ft/sec ( just for kicks ) that shoot flatter, are more accurate and have more energy at 175yds ( I have a target stand w/ 6" swinger at 175yds ) than the SSS. Loads using the PRVI 75gr BTHP-M bullet are pretty impressive compared to a .22LR.

For SHTF situations this load can easily kill a person or deer size game at 175yds with a head shot. When fired even single shot through an AR w/ suppressor these rounds do not make any noise that can be heard at that distance. I cheched this myself with a MP3 recorder and mic and in person by standing a safe distance behind a barricade ( huge white oak ) from the 6" swinger. All you can hear is the bullet smacking the steel swinger.

Paul

markm
08-26-14, 08:58
Plus most .22 short are supersonic, not subsonic.

I've never shot a 22 Short that would break the sound barrier at my altitude.

Shit... I used to shoot them down the hallway of my parent's house when no one was home.... into phone books. ;)

Airhasz
08-26-14, 15:20
I've never shot a 22 Short that would break the sound barrier at my altitude.

Shit... I used to shoot them down the hallway of my parent's house when no one was home.... into phone books. ;)

Can only imagine what your son has in store for you..lol

markm
08-26-14, 15:23
Can only imagine what your son has in store for you..lol

Both Pappabear and I have boys who are luke warm on guns. It's ridiculous. Makes no sense.

darr3239
08-26-14, 17:10
Only one of my three sons cares enough about firearms to spend money on them. Maybe if we lived on a farm??

Moltke
08-26-14, 17:47
Subsonic .223? Booooooooooooooring.

But really OP, what's your intended use? Paper targets? Plinking? Just experimenting?

markm
08-26-14, 19:41

But really OP, what's your intended use? Paper targets? Plinking? Just experimenting?

Yep... Is it to be able to shoot in the yard? Pest control? Just for the heck of it?

Hump66
09-02-14, 13:44
I was down to around 1100fps with 4.5gr of BlueDot with 55gr fmjbt loaded at 2.260 OAL. About as loud as a nail gun. Then I got bored with it since it wouldn't cycle.

Onyx Z
09-02-14, 13:49
I was down to around 1100fps with 4.5gr of BlueDot with 55gr fmjbt loaded at 2.260 OAL. About as loud as a nail gun. Then I got bored with it since it wouldn't cycle.

Sounds like you did this for S&G purposes given the 55gr FMJ... A heavier bullet (77gr) might have worked a little better.

Stengun
09-02-14, 14:11
Howdy,

Not if you're running a suppressor.

Nothing like a little "spuit" from the end of the suppressor and the seeing a swinger dance downrange and then hearing the "clank" of the bullet hitting steel.

Paul

Hump66
09-03-14, 17:40
Sounds like you did this for S&G purposes given the 55gr FMJ... A heavier bullet (77gr) might have worked a little better.

Pretty much. Just wanted to see how quiet I could get them, I had just received my M4-2K.

TRshootem
09-03-14, 18:13
OP asked for a load: 55 gr. JSP & 3.0 gr TiteGroup. 16" 1/9 carbine. Accurate, quiet, fun to plink gophers in and around the horse corral. Hitting plates out at 200 yds or more is fun stuff. 1.5" avg for 10 shots at 100 yds. WILL not run the action...so what. I use these mostly for vermin and grand kiddos ammo.

shark101au
09-14-14, 12:44
I had a friend who loaded 223 with Unique, seemed to work ok but wouldn't cycle the action sometimes.

Stengun
09-14-14, 14:00
Howdy,

I've used Blue Dot, Universal, and TrailBoss but none of them will cycle the action and stay subsonic unless you used a 90 grain bullet. Maybe with an adjustable gas block and reduced pressure buffer spring you might be able to get them to cycle with a 75-80gr bullet.

Paul