PDA

View Full Version : Brownells 30rd mags

ABNAK
08-25-14, 20:37
Yeah, I did a search (been here long enough to know that before posting). None of the threads were any more recent than 2009. A few months ago I bought a box of 25 mags, date code 3-13 with "improved USGI followers" (they are green). Have there been any changes in the last 4 years since these mags were made to negate having to switch the followers?

ETA: haven't used any yet, have plenty of PMags and other USGI ones. Was basically leaving them NIW for a rainy day.

Ryno12
08-25-14, 21:04
Yeah, I did a search (been here long enough to know that before posting). None of the threads were any more recent than 2009. A few months ago I bought a box of 25 mags, date code 3-13 with "improved USGI followers" (they are green). Have there been any changes in the last 4 years since these mags were made to negate having to switch the followers?

ETA: haven't used any yet, have plenty of PMags and other USGI ones. Was basically leaving them NIW for a rainy day.

There's been a few threads where there was dialog about Brownell's magazines. Here's one of them:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=145532
There were some issues around that specific time frame (post SH panic) of mags having tight followers, especially when switching to Magpul followers. Some people had issues, some did not. I think QC slipped a little the following months after SH. All my Brownell's purchased during that time (also 3/13 date code) have been relegated to the practice/back up pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain
08-25-14, 21:15
Sample of one around the SH time frame was not spectacular. Fed fine, but it was on the wide side and would not drop free out of any AR I tried it in(~8). Again sample of one, but currently sticking with Pmags since I really like the M3 mags and at $9 a piece from DSG hard to beat, and D&H 30s for the back stockpile since have bought a lot recently at ~$7 a piece with magpul followers.

tog
08-25-14, 21:40
I've got mostly Pmags and have been looking to add some aluminum mags. I picked up a Brownell's 30 rounder last week for testing, (04-13) but haven't made it to the range yet. It came with what appears to be an anti-tilt follower and a ranger plate. Empty it does drop free from at least two rifles that I have tried it in.

HardToHandle
08-26-14, 01:37
My biggest complaint is sharp edges on the feed lips. Not smoothly formed lip edges such as most OEM magazines. They have fed adequately for me, but I only have one mag in my standard rotation.

Nearly all my Brownell's mags date to 2010 IIRC.

Wake27
08-26-14, 01:52
I bought 2 of their tac mags (w/ ranger plate) and have had problems with at least one of them out of 2 different rifles (JP & Noveske). Wish I had tracked the malfunctions a little more, but i didn't bother then. No problems with my DSG aluminum mags.

Blankwaffe
08-26-14, 02:47
Ive got a box full of the Brownells 20 and 30 round mags of various years mfg.Only issue Ive run into is a couple 20 round mags, date code 01-09, that had a raised stamping edge on the top backside feed area that tended to hang the bolt catch(had to give it a good slap) when trying to release the bolt on the loaded mag.Worked fine otherwise.I simply filed the offending protrusion down with my Gerber MT at the range at the time rather than returning the mags,and no further issues to this day.

Don't forget Brownells has a forever warranty,so if the mags have problems, yall need to call and get a replacement.

USMC_Anglico
08-26-14, 05:21
I've used and observed a few hundred of the NSN'd Brownells mags with the new brown follower. No issues, work just like any other USGI magazine. Our unit replaced all of our black follower mags and older green followers with these brownell's mags.

djegators
08-26-14, 05:36
My experience with Brownells mags has been good, no issues.

HCrum87hc
08-26-14, 06:35
We bought a handful of Brownell mags around SH. We didn't have any issues with the followers, but the feed lips were too high. They weren't allowing the rounds to chamber. The brass lip would get caught on the lip. I ended up filing them down.

Kyohte
08-26-14, 11:41
Would it be possible for those experiencing problematic magazines to post the date code?

Scotter260
08-26-14, 14:13
There was a thread about these on TOS and I put in my two cents. IIRC, the front of the mag just forward of the feedlips was just a touch higher than similar Okay mags. Also IIRC, folks were having feeding issues with them however I believe it was in their initial use - the mags weren't plug and play, they had to be run a bit to "wear" them in.

I want to say they were date coded 03-13 and 04-13.

ETA: Second page in the Brownell's section in the Industry forum at TOS for more info. It seems they worked for me in very limited "testing".

markm
08-26-14, 14:33
I've had some sketchy looking stamping on these "clips". But every one of them has run perfectly.

scottryan
08-26-14, 18:36
Every one of these I examined during the panic has wide bodies and gaps between the body and floorplate.

The folded over and welded seams were not flush.

The overall workmanship was poor.

gun71530
08-26-14, 19:11
I have 9 of these, and I have had no issues. Mine are around 2 years old.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Wake27
08-26-14, 23:07
Would it be possible for those experiencing problematic magazines to post the date code?

Mine are back on the mainland, otherwise I would. Pretty sure I bought my 2 before SH.

markm
08-27-14, 08:12
Every one of these I examined during the panic has wide bodies and gaps between the body and floorplate.

The folded over and welded seams were not flush.

The overall workmanship was poor.

That's my findings exactly. I run a lot of them on the range and they've never missed a beat, but yeah... a little rough in the workmanship area.

Ryno12
08-27-14, 08:30
That's my findings exactly. I run a lot of them on the range and they've never missed a beat, but yeah... a little rough in the workmanship area.

Didn't you have to shave some tight followers too? I thought we compared notes on that awhile back.

markm
08-27-14, 08:34
Didn't you have to shave some tight followers too? I thought we compared notes on that awhile back.

Shoot.... I think those were Center Industries mags. But maybe you're right.

Ryno12
08-27-14, 08:49
OP, here's more info on the Brownell mags from your timeframe.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134523

Mark, I think those were Brownell mags that you had to mod for Papabear.

markm
08-27-14, 09:08
Yeah... you know what. You're right. It was a back ordered 10 pack of Brownells 30s.

GregP220
08-27-14, 10:19
My .02 cents

I have at least a dozen Brownells mags with a wide range of date codes. About half are running Magpul followers and the others have the GI tan follower.

They run great and drop free. Brownells, D&H and OKays are solid in my book. Center Industries are the only ones that have given me issues.