PDA

View Full Version : Press check method

acaixguard
08-26-14, 13:29
Ok, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I've been seeing this enough to make me wonder about this. Why do so many people press check by wrapping their thumb over the top of the slide between the chamber and front sight to pull back the slide a bit? I've always just used the slingshot grip on the rear of the slide. Seems to me this eliminates the need for front cocking serrations, and keeps your hand further from the muzzle (yes, I know...finger off the trigger is key).

Am I missing something here that I should try it?

markm
08-26-14, 13:35
Grabbing the front of the slide from both the top and bottom is awkward to me. I don't even pull back on my pistols. You can see in the daylight that there's a live round in there by looking into the side of the ejection port... and I almost never unload.

Magsz
08-26-14, 13:38
Ive unchambered a round when ive aggressively press checked from the rear of the gun. It is even easier on lightly sprung competition guns.

Press checking from the front gives more control over the total travel of the slide, ie you can only retract the slide a certain amount.

To each their own, there is no one way to do this.

markm
08-26-14, 13:52
I don't even want to bring up the old 1911 pinch check. ;)

l8apex
08-26-14, 14:04
Seen many different checks as well as a rear check with the thumb in the tang and fingers over the rear of the slide.

Talon167
08-26-14, 15:24
Press checking from the front gives more control over the total travel of the slide, ie you can only retract the slide a certain amount.

Yea, pretty much. It's just easier to move the slide a small amount from the front as my fingers are wrapped around the frame as well...

Alpha Sierra
08-26-14, 16:22
I always press check by using my left hand over the rear of the slide to retract it enough to see/feel the round in the chamber. I have much more control there than at the front of the slide, plus I don't want my hand anywhere near the muzzle.

If it's light out, I don't even press check. I just look into the gap between the slide and the breech (CZ P-07) and can clearly see if there is a round in there or not.

jmoore
08-26-14, 16:37

Yep - I trained under Cooper years back - and that's the way I started out! Sometimes when handling a 1911, I fall back to old ways. When those of us who are geezers die off - hopefully this will too:)

john

Alpha Sierra
08-26-14, 20:49

I just looked that up and all I have to say is WTF

RWCRaiden
08-27-14, 15:26

Now I'm curious.

Just googled this too...I can't wrap my head around it.

Trajan
08-27-14, 15:55
I do that method because the armorers grip method causes me to either eject the round, or cause a malfunction.

I wish all guns had front cocking serrations.

I just looked that up and all I have to say is WTF
Different times...

markm
08-27-14, 16:00
Different times...

Yeah. I will admit I did that. Of course I was retarded enough to be running a 1911... so it all fit together perfectly! :sarcastic:

It was the most control I ever had over the action spring... unfortunately there were TWO things wrong.. you're in the trigger guard, and you're sticking your finger where it'd get cooked if problem #1 went bad.-

markm
08-27-14, 16:16
Here's a perfect pic of it.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/7/7c/Thief_brass_chk.jpg

Savior 6
08-27-14, 16:16
Ok, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I've been seeing this enough to make me wonder about this. Why do so many people press check by wrapping their thumb over the top of the slide between the chamber and front sight to pull back the slide a bit? I've always just used the slingshot grip on the rear of the slide. Seems to me this eliminates the need for front cocking serrations, and keeps your hand further from the muzzle (yes, I know...finger off the trigger is key).

Am I missing something here that I should try it?

I speculate that when you curl your fingers (choking the slide) while doing so, it gives you a "limit" so that you don't eject your round. Now when people do this with their fingers bladed or straight that it offers less advantage and looks cool.

I do feel I have less control to press check from the rear of the slide and prefer to reach under the dust cover to grab the the front of slide also giving myself a "limit".

Edit: Hard to do with a laser/light on the gun though.

Wheelhouse
08-27-14, 16:25
Ive unchambered a round when ive aggressively press checked from the rear of the gun. It is even easier on lightly sprung competition guns.

+1 on this.
Btw, the VP9 is a press-checkers dream :p releases out of battery really easy!

Savior 6
08-27-14, 16:29
Now I'm curious.

Just googled this too...I can't wrap my head around it.

Also done by Al Pacino in the movie Heat before they perform a raid. Robert DeNiro does a different type of press check in an elavator before he does an assasination as well.

RWCRaiden
08-27-14, 17:02
Yeah. I will admit I did that. Of course I was retarded enough to be running a 1911... so it all fit together perfectly! :sarcastic:

It was the most control I ever had over the action spring... unfortunately there were TWO things wrong.. you're in the trigger guard, and you're sticking your finger where it'd get cooked if problem #1 went bad.-

Not a fan of 1911's?

Stengun
08-27-14, 23:33
Howdy,

I've been shooting 1911s for over 35 years and I've never seen anyone do that except in the movies and couldn't amagine anyone doing it in real life.

If I went to a class or course and the instructor recommended doing this I would find a new instructor.

Paul

RWCRaiden
08-27-14, 23:50
Howdy,

I've been shooting 1911s for over 35 years and I've never seen anyone do that except in the movies and couldn't amagine anyone doing it in real life.

If I went to a class or course and the instructor recommended doing this I would find a new instructor.

Paul

It does violate pretty much every gun safety rule. I agree.

birdkiller
08-28-14, 03:43
I was exposed to press checking from the front, and in general, from the competition world. A lot of competition guys I know will do all their slide manipulations from the front including: loading, press check, unload, malfunction clearance, etc. the argument is that it's faster, which if you can get a solid grip, not pinch your hand, and not shoot yourself it is. I'm pretty sure Frank Proctor works his slide manipulations from the front as well.

So just stipulation, but I think it's possible that the front press check may partially come from guys that work the front of their slide for all manipulations.

Apricotshot
08-28-14, 06:31
Press checking is probably the easiest thing you can do with a pistol. Don't over think it. As long as you can visually and physically (Night/Dark) check to ensure a round is in the chamber you're good.

markm
08-28-14, 08:37
Not a fan of 1911's?

Love them.... Just not for defensive use. It's like using a Model T as a daily driver.

SomeGuy
08-28-14, 14:50
I was exposed to press checking from the front, and in general, from the competition world. A lot of competition guys I know will do all their slide manipulations from the front including: loading, press check, unload, malfunction clearance, etc. the argument is that it's faster, which if you can get a solid grip, not pinch your hand, and not shoot yourself it is. I'm pretty sure Frank Proctor works his slide manipulations from the front as well.

So just stipulation, but I think it's possible that the front press check may partially come from guys that work the front of their slide for all manipulations.

I do all of my slide manipulation from the front because it lets me grip the slide with the strongest digits on my support hand without partially covering the ejection port. I tried the more common over the top powerstroke (or whatever tacticool name it's been given) but I found that my grip was not as strong and that as a result I risk pinching my hand in between the slide and barrel hood should my hands be sweaty and my grip fail. Now that my PPQ has taken its pound of flesh I've found that working from the front is not only easier but faster and less likely to tactiaclly reduce the mass of my secondary weapons platform manipulation surface.

RWCRaiden
08-28-14, 16:05
Love them.... Just not for defensive use. It's like using a Model T as a daily driver.

Fair enough. I did a defensive pistol class once with one, and did well enough. Clearly they are not as advantageous as a striker fired pistol, but I get your point. I'd grab my 1911 as my go to in a SHTF situation though.

anachronism
08-28-14, 21:27
1911s just aren't meant for the politically correct. They're a 427 'Vette in this world of tuner cars.

Ty_B
08-28-14, 21:34
Press checking is probably the easiest thing you can do with a pistol. Don't over think it. As long as you can visually and physically (Night/Dark) check to ensure a round is in the chamber you're good.

For the win.

If the round hits the floor, you hear a loud bang, or you can't see the round in the chamber, you've done it wrong. Adjust your technique and try again.

samuse
08-28-14, 21:48
1911s just aren't meant for the politically correct. They're a 427 'Vette in this world of tuner cars.

They're not for cheap skates or sissies.

I do the pinch check sometimes, but never with a loaded gun. Mostly when racking the slide to half-cock.

acaixguard
08-28-14, 21:58
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Just to clarify, this wasn't meant to be an overthought analysis on the right way to chamber check. This thought just occurred to me because I happened to stumble on a youtube video where this was done. Aside from several other "tacticool" things I observed, the guy kept chamber checking with this method, and it occurred to me that I've seen others do this as well. So I wasn't sure if this was done mostly for looks, or if there was some benefit that I wasn't aware of.

lunchbox
08-28-14, 22:24
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Just to clarify, this wasn't meant to be an overthought analysis on the right way to chamber check. This thought just occurred to me because I happened to stumble on a youtube video where this was done. Aside from several other "tacticool" things I observed, the guy kept chamber checking with this method, and it occurred to me that I've seen others do this as well. So I wasn't sure if this was done mostly for looks, or if there was some benefit that I wasn't aware of.Was it a Frank Procter vid? He is (among others) a huge supporter of (habitual) check, his ideology is "It costs you nothing and it can save you everything". Meaning it's too easy not to do it! Instructor vs vid, the vid has the flash and not the why you get from instuctor.

acaixguard
08-28-14, 22:31
No, it was actually a Range Time video (with Cory and Erika).

Not to slam them, but my impression is Cory does a lot for theatrics. Aside from the press checks, 2 other things he does that look more tacticool than functional is the exaggerated press out from the draw (and the reverse motion too prior to reholstering), and the head turn after shooting to supposedly scan. The press checks just happened to catch my attention more at the time.

lunchbox
08-28-14, 22:38

Not to slam them, but my impression is Cory does a lot for theatrics. Aside from the press checks, 2 other things he does that look more tacticool than functional is the exaggerated press out from the draw (and the reverse motion too prior to reholstering), and the head turn after shooting to supposedly scan. The press checks just happened to catch my attention more at the time.Ah gottcha, I am familiar with their channel and kinda agree. Not bad channel tho.

Apricotshot
08-29-14, 07:28
Cory has zero integrity and has claimed in the past mil service he never completed. Everything he "teaches" is regurgitated from other instructors. It's pretty much like you taking a dozen classes and then hanging your shingle as an instructor. He has no real world expierence in anything he "teaches". Unless you count going AWOL, he could teach you that.

samuse
08-29-14, 07:35
I press check from the front if I'm sitting or somewhere where I want to do it muzzle up.

markm
08-29-14, 08:28

That's probably a better comparison... I was picking something closer to 1911 though ;) . I'd love to drive a big block Vette some days... again... not practical for day to day use though. A wise man once said... "We need to get over the romance of carrying a 100 year old pistol, and get on to the business of shooting smelly bad guys in the face with a modern weapon."

anachronism
08-29-14, 21:21
That's probably a better comparison... I was picking something closer to 1911 though ;) . I'd love to drive a big block Vette some days... again... not practical for day to day use though. A wise man once said... "We need to get over the romance of carrying a 100 year old pistol, and get on to the business of shooting smelly bad guys in the face with a modern weapon."

:D Well, I'm guessing it wasn't a Jeff Cooper remark. I've tried so hard to like tuner guns, I mean the poly framed stuff, but I can't make it work for me (whine). I am currently breaking in an M&P 45 full-sized, but I don't seem to be able to attach myself to them. I also don't buy cars from overseas companies.

I'm bad.

HaydenB
08-29-14, 21:41
I feel I have MUCH more control with my thumb over the forward portion of the slide. Tried both methods and about 1/3 of the time the round would just pop out when I used the slingshot method. Especially once chambers start getting hot, dirty, or when shooting sticky Russian ammo. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunchbox
08-29-14, 22:15
Cory has zero integrity and has claimed in the past mil service he never completed. Everything he "teaches" is regurgitated from other instructors. It's pretty much like you taking a dozen classes and then hanging your shingle as an instructor. He has no real world expierence in anything he "teaches". Unless you count going AWOL, he could teach you that.? No kidding, I had no idea. Ya if true screw 'em! I kinda thought he was full of it, and only watch occasionally for the chick shooting...

matt7184
08-29-14, 23:13

Not to slam them, but my impression is Cory does a lot for theatrics. Aside from the press checks, 2 other things he does that look more tacticool than functional is the exaggerated press out from the draw (and the reverse motion too prior to reholstering), and the head turn after shooting to supposedly scan. The press checks just happened to catch my attention more at the time.

http://youtu.be/BNNiEHPUnlk

HaydenB
08-29-14, 23:26
http://youtu.be/BNNiEHPUnlk

There's other threads for that. Try to stay on topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk