PDA

View Full Version : Awesomely easy and effective water filter

krisjon
08-26-14, 19:37
Care of Tracker Dan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq0CK-zfhkk#t=176

X-man2112
09-01-14, 20:44
Great video everybody should be viewing this.

RUSKI
09-01-14, 21:23
Good stuff.

SeriousStudent
09-01-14, 21:30
That is useful knowledge. And like they say, knowledge trumps gear.

Thanks for the post.

dogfoot
01-13-15, 21:24
Warning:
I treat surface water for a living.
This is a great idea for suspended turbidity/particle removal but does nonething for disinfection.
Texas uses chlorine, chlorine dioxide or ozone as primary disenfectant. You have to kill the bugs: giaridia / viruses.
To be totally safe, use plane Jane bleach or boil and you are good to go after the filtering.
Or spend the money and get a good water filter that gets the bugs out.
I have used a Katadyn in boondocks for years and have never got sick. Money well spent.

be safe
Dog

markm
01-14-15, 07:59
War

I have used a Katadyn in boondocks for years and have never got sick. Money well spent.

I have that Katadyn Pocket Filter. Built like a tank. I've never had the chance to use it though.

ra2bach
02-06-15, 12:25
nice idea but you're not going to filter out the creepy crawlies with that, though there is some good discussion on which is worse - bad water or dehydration. not all water you find in the wild is bad, it's just a very wise thing to treat is as so.

in a true survival situation where you're confident of your return to civilization in a couple days, you're probably better off dealing with the immediate hydration issues, and dealing with the medical ones at home.

someone just posted a way to make butterfly sutures out of duct tape on a private hunting forum I frequent. my response was, "if I can carry duct tape, I can carry proper first aid gear". same thing here - for $20 I can throw a Sawyer mini in a pocket and be sure I'm not gonna get sick. but if I got nothing and I'm dying of thirst, I'm going face down in the first puddle I come to...

Turnkey11
03-29-15, 10:04
someone just posted a way to make butterfly sutures out of duct tape on a private hunting forum I frequent. my response was, "if I can carry duct tape, I can carry proper first aid gear". same thing here - for $20 I can throw a Sawyer mini in a pocket and be sure I'm not gonna get sick. but if I got nothing and I'm dying of thirst, I'm going face down in the first puddle I come to...

Everyone in my house carries their own when we go into the woods, sawyer minis are awesome.

turnburglar
05-05-15, 11:28
Iv run my Sawyer mini for 2 years now, and can't imagine a better filter system. Great for re-using empty water bottles.

FLC Knives
11-13-15, 17:40
The Life Straw is nice as well.
I picked mine up for $20.

11-13-15, 18:39
No thanks. Getting a good case of diarrhea from that method will cause you to dehydrate very quickly. A couple of I pills(that take up soooo much space) would be a better solution. Not very tasty, but at least you won't die from the $h-ts.

HCrum87hc
11-16-15, 11:04
I've typically been a fan of the Lifestraw, but after checking out the Sawyer mini, it may have usurped the position as it's smaller and lighter.

Tikkatac
02-21-16, 23:08
The Life Straw is nice as well.
I picked mine up for $20.

I second that, Works very well and easy to travel with.