PDA

View Full Version : Iris Watertight Storage Containers

Moose-Knuckle
08-26-14, 20:27
I have been looking for some inexpesive storage boxes to replace the hodgepodge of cardboard boxes and cheap plastic totes that I have accumulated over the years to stow gear in. I wanted to find something that would be water/airtight so in the event we experienced a leak or natural disaster the contents would not be ruined. Out of everything you can find at big box stores (Rubbermaid, Sterilite, etc.) nothing fits this criteria. So I stumbled upon Iris, they make clear and opaque gray storage totes that are watertight (not water proof) and airtight. The lids have a foam o-ring insert (reminiscent of the rubber ones found on USGI ammo cans) that is recessed inside the lid that seals the container once locked down. There are models that have four locking latches (two on each side) and there a few models that have six locking latches (two on each side and one at both ends).

Ziploc has contracted Iris to make watertight storage boxes for them; they are available at Wal-Mart and have the Ziploc logo on the latches and bottom of the box body. The latches on the Ziploc branded containers are blue as opposed to the black latches that come on the factory Iris containers. So far I have only seen Ziploc branded containers available with the four locking latches. I opted to get the factory Iris containers with the six locking latches for the added security.

They can be found on Amazon but so far the cheapest place that I have found these containers is at The Container Store which surprised me as they are usually more expensive compared to online retailers like Amazon.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/totesTrunks?productId=10026213

http://www.irisusainc.com/c-273-weathertight-boxes.aspx

St.Michael
08-26-14, 22:45
Nice find! I just invested in 4 totes that are already getting on my nerves since they don't hold tight for anything. Pretty much a waste of money. I like the skinnier ones because they allow you to store specific gear that is easily sorted through.

docsherm
08-27-14, 12:15
Good find. I have been looking for something like those for some time.

MikeDawg46L
01-09-15, 08:56
I was looking the same thing for storing food for my GSD, since she eats like a horse and her food so freaking expensive. I found these www.gamma2.net. They are a bit more expensive but are completely waterproof, and have one-way valves built into the lids that seal them as you screw the lids on. I have a 50lbs top load version and 30lbs side load stackable version. I've been thinking of getting some more for storing some long term food options for the two legged varieties in my home as well.

They are a little more pricey, but Amazon has some good deals on them from time to time.

Moose-Knuckle
01-14-15, 08:32
I was looking the same thing for storing food for my GSD, since she eats like a horse and her food so freaking expensive. I found these www.gamma2.net. They are a bit more expensive but are completely waterproof, and have one-way valves built into the lids that seal them as you screw the lids on. I have a 50lbs top load version and 30lbs side load stackable version. I've been thinking of getting some more for storing some long term food options for the two legged varieties in my home as well.

They are a little more pricey, but Amazon has some good deals on them from time to time.

Great idea for dry dog food, I've heard of the gamma five gallon bucket lids/seals for long-term storage of rice, beans, wheat, flour, etc.

What brand of food do you feed your GSD?

I have a female GSD as well and I only feed her breed specific dry food formulated for GSDs by either Royal Canin or Eukanuba. A 30lb bag averages between $40-$60, I snag them when they go on sale and find that PetSmart usually has better pricing/sales than Petco.

MikeDawg46L
01-14-15, 08:40
Great idea for dry dog food, I've heard of the gamma five gallon bucket lids/seals for long-term storage of rice, beans, wheat, flour, etc.

What brand of food do you feed your GSD?

I have a female GSD as well and I only feed her breed specific dry food formulated for GSDs by either Royal Canin or Eukanuba. A 30lb bag averages between $40-$60, I snag them when they go on sale and find that PetSmart usually has better pricing/sales than Petco.

The container I have seals dog food so well that I am planning on getting some of the smaller ones for prepping. You can hear the air forcing out as the lid screws on.

My GSD is on Hill's Science Diet puppy food. Lamb meal and rice I believe. I had tried the Hill's Ideal Balance but it is hard to find in the big bags around here. The regular puppy food is $43 for a 30lbs bag. Petsmart has been running a $5 off coupon on each receipt when I buy a bag, so I've been stocking up. Went in to buy another bag last weekend and it was a $10 off coupon on receipt. SCORE! lol. Been stocking up big time now. Should have enough stockpiled to last until she's on adult food, and she's only 6 months old now.

Moose-Knuckle
01-14-15, 08:50
As for the Iris storage containers I have accumulated more in various sizes. I'm using the clear containers with six latches to store everything from first-aid supplies to individual freeze-dried entrées and I'm using the opaque containers with six latches to store rifle mags.

The Container Store is currently running a 15% off on all regularly priced merchandise until 02/08/15 for their POP members, so I will be taking advantage of the sale and adding more of these containers replacing old cardboard boxes and non air/water tight plastic totes.

MikeDawg46L
01-14-15, 08:52
As for the Iris storage containers I have accumulated more in various sizes. I'm using the clear containers with six latches to store everything from first-aid supplies to individual freeze-dried entrées and I'm using the opaque containers with six latches to store rifle mags.

The Container Store is currently running a 15% off on all regularly priced merchandise until 02/08/15 for their POP members, so I will be taking advantage of the sale and adding more of these containers replacing old cardboard boxes and non air/water tight plastic totes.

For the price of the Iris vs the Gamma2 containers, I think I'll be picking up some Iris as well. There is a Container Store in Raleigh, and I drive by the exit daily.

ETA: Just checked the website using the link in your original post, and the local Container Store stocks them. Awesome.

j-ro
01-14-15, 09:40
Thanks for the heads up.

Moose-Knuckle
01-15-15, 04:41
For the price of the Iris vs the Gamma2 containers, I think I'll be picking up some Iris as well. There is a Container Store in Raleigh, and I drive by the exit daily.

ETA: Just checked the website using the link in your original post, and the local Container Store stocks them. Awesome.

I would (and will) use the Gamma lids combined with food grade five gallon buckets for long term dry food storage. The Iris containers are only being used to store prepackaged food stuffs like Mountain House/Back Packer's Pantry freeze dried meals, first-aid supplies, personal hygiene items, camping gear, mags/parts, etc.

Glad you guys can use them, I had never heard of the Iris watertight containers before and thought they were a great and inexpensive alternative to cardboard boxes and el cheapo plastic totes that afford no air/water protection.

That's what is great about this specific sub-forum, the exchange of ideas and heads up on gear and sales, etc.

TXBK
01-15-15, 09:02
I wonder how the larger 74 and 41 qt containers do when packed with some weight and stacked? Depending on how heavy the contents are, once you start stacking the cheap containers 3 to 4 high the tend to give way and the lids fail.

I'm going to give some a try, and hopefully I don't find their stacking weight limit. Surprisingly, shipping from the Container Store was very reasonable on a quite bulky order. Once I figured fuel and time for traveling to the nearest store, I came out way ahead on shipping.

Moose-Knuckle
01-15-15, 09:26
I wonder how the larger 74 and 41 qt containers do when packed with some weight and stacked? Depending on how heavy the contents are, once you start stacking the cheap containers 3 to 4 high the tend to give way and the lids fail.

I'm going to give some a try, and hopefully I don't find their stacking weight limit. Surprisingly, shipping from the Container Store was very reasonable on a quite bulky order. Once I figured fuel and time for traveling to the nearest store, I came out way ahead on shipping.

Please let us know how they work out with heavy stuff, I have one of the 74qt. ones filled with a Marmot two-person tent, two adult sleeping bags rolled, and two Therm-a-rest sleeping pads so not very heavy.

MikeDawg46L
01-15-15, 13:17
I'm thinking the Iris containers may be a good solution to storing brass and reloading stuff (and gun cleaning stuff) long term as well. I usually process my 5.56 by the thousands so I can have it ready to load. I guess if it's clean and not contaminated when going in the container, it should stay that way for a while.

I had picked up some cheap containers from Wally World that have locking lids (a hinge on each end just to hold the lid on) a while back, and been using them to separate brass and bullets, and to store my dies and manuals when not being used. The Iris seem that they would be better since they have gaskets/seals or whatever you want to call it.

MikeDawg46L
01-19-15, 15:01
Checked yesterday and no Ziplock-branded Iris containers at my local Wally World.

Shame on me as I still haven't made it to the local Container Store.

Tapatalk'd

TXBK
02-05-15, 08:56
I received the totes that I ordered, but didn't get into the packages for a couple weeks. When I got the totes out of the packaging, a couple latches were broken off of one of the 74 qt. totes. Upon inspection of the latches, I found that the latches are attached to the totes via tiny nipples that are not going to handle any abuse. Also damaged during shipping were 2 lids, which had several chunks broken off of the edges. Bear in mind, I didn't discover this for weeks after actually receiving the packages. So, I sent The Container Store an email stating that items had been damaged during shipping and listed the items that were damaged. I received an email response and a shipping notification from them the same day. They shipped the items that I told them were damaged the same day, no questions asked. I feel that is excellent customer service, and it is greatly appreciated.
Overall, I think these totes will be excellent for storage. I'm not sure how they would handle being hauled around much and/or used daily, but that is not my intended use anyhow. Some care should be taken when latching the lids on and users should be careful not to over pack the totes, but given the price of these totes it isn't a deal breaker for me. I won't be storing ammo in these, so I am not terribly concerned with making them too heavy to be stacked.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-15, 00:12
I received the totes that I ordered, but didn't get into the packages for a couple weeks. When I got the totes out of the packaging, a couple latches were broken off of one of the 74 qt. totes. Upon inspection of the latches, I found that the latches are attached to the totes via tiny nipples that are not going to handle any abuse. Also damaged during shipping were 2 lids, which had several chunks broken off of the edges. Bear in mind, I didn't discover this for weeks after actually receiving the packages. So, I sent The Container Store an email stating that items had been damaged during shipping and listed the items that were damaged. I received an email response and a shipping notification from them the same day. They shipped the items that I told them were damaged the same day, no questions asked. I feel that is excellent customer service, and it is greatly appreciated.
Overall, I think these totes will be excellent for storage. I'm not sure how they would handle being hauled around much and/or used daily, but that is not my intended use anyhow. Some care should be taken when latching the lids on and users should be careful not to over pack the totes, but given the price of these totes it isn't a deal breaker for me. I won't be storing ammo in these, so I am not terribly concerned with making them too heavy to be stacked.

Good to hear that The Container Store took care of you and has great customer service. I would never use the Iris containers for rough handling/travel/etc., just stowing gear and kit in the attic/garage/closets.

For hard use and or storage of sensitive items I'd go with Pelican-Hardigg.

MikeDawg46L
02-23-15, 08:43
Update: my local Wally World finally picked up the Ziploc branded Iris containers. They only got 2 sizes in at the moment. I think they were a 60ish quart size and a 40ish. I took a quick look at them as I was there picking up something the wife needed to finish up dinner. They looked ok and I can't see the foam seals making it waterproof, as has been previously noted. For the price, they definitely seem like a good option for basic long term storage. I'll be picking some up for sure.

Tapatalk'd

ra2bach
02-27-15, 13:10
how durable are these? I use Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes because they are tough but not weathertight...

TXBK
02-27-15, 14:53
how durable are these? I use Rubbermaid Action Packer boxes because they are tough but not weathertight...

I don't think they are suitable for everyday or rough use. I base this thought upon the damage that some of mine received during shipping. IMO, these are strictly suitable for storage, but they should perform that task well.

TXBK
07-18-15, 10:44
These have been working well for my storage needs. I have been using them to get my camping and shooting gear, and gun parts organized. Since they are clear, it is really easy to get an idea of what's inside without having to open the container and dig through it. The latches still seem pretty weak, but so far, none of them have failed. I just placed an order for some more from The Container Store. All sizes are backordered, but shipping was free.

Moose-Knuckle
07-18-15, 14:07
All of mine have been G2G. Currently have these containers under beds, in the attic, closets, and out in the garage with no issues. Latches and seals are maintaining.

Moose-Knuckle
08-15-15, 01:11
Just a quick update, I recently spied the Ziploc branded containers at a local Target store so I guess they now carry them as well. They had two different sizes in stock, one with six latches on the lid.

Moose-Knuckle
10-07-16, 04:25
Iris is now also making their Weathertight containers for Remington firearms.

Picked up one of their branded 87 qt. storage trunks. Academy Sports carries them for $39.99 but this week they have them on sale for $19.99. I use this size in the garage for our grab and go kit; sleeping bags, sleeping pads, tents, tarps, etc.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/remington-sia-760d-heavy-duty-weathertight-storage-trunk

http://www.shopirisusa.com/remingtonr-87qt-82l-heavy-duty-weathertight-storage-trunk

Bluto
10-08-16, 23:23
I picked up a few today. They are pretty well made and some of the larger ones fit into my 24" deep shelving perfectly.

Also, for those wondering, you can fit 110 30 round magazines with the wrapper or 120 without into the 64 liter box very nicely. I tried with both pmags and surefeed with and without the packaging.