PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75B Questions

RONK
08-27-14, 06:09
I'm considering getting a CZ 75B,I've always had Glocks,how do they compare to some of the more modern pistols?Any modifications you can suggest?Gunsmihts?thanks.

Quack
08-27-14, 08:03
Get the Short Reset Trigger from Cajun Gun works or CZ Custom.

If its going to be a game gun and you reload/use federal primers, you can use a 8.5# main spring and extended FP. The result in my SP01 Accu Shadow is a 4.5# DA pull.

Magsz
08-27-14, 12:16
Sigh...

What is your intended purpose? CCW? Fun range toy? Game gun?

The only universal bit of info that is the same regardless of intended use is as follows:

1. The factory firing pin retaining pin on the models that have a firing pin block sucks ass. IF you dry fire the gun alot you WILL peen and break this pin eventually.

2. The factory trigger return springs are subject to breakage. The factory spring is not bad quality per say but it is THE item that breaks most frequently on the pistols. Again, frequency cannot be determined but i replace my trigger springs every 10k rounds simply because i cannot count how many times the pistols get dry fired. I have had GREAT luck with the cajun gun works reduced power trigger springs, ie no breakages yet.

As far as Smiths go, look at these two:

Cajun Gun Works
Automatic Accuracy

Once you answer the question as to what your intended purpose is we can further flesh out what can be done to the gun to maintain reasonable reliability.

PS, what is your experience level? Suggesting someone immediately drop in a short reset disconnector is negligent. The disconnector removes almost all pre travel, may require fitting and should IMO only be used by people with above average trigger control skills. Ive seen plenty of bump fires and ND's because of this modification...

RONK
08-27-14, 14:58
Thanks for the help. Carry/Defense,reliability is job one.What about sights?Majority of my trigger time has been with Glocks,

Quack
08-27-14, 16:17
They are pretty reliable from the get go. You cab get sights from CZ Custom or CGW.

Magsz
08-27-14, 16:24
Your sight options are somewhat limited. There are a few tritium options on the market from meprolight or cz custom and then Dawson sights if you dont mind a fiber optic front. Unfortunately, right now, we have only a few options for sights. The after market is definitely not as deep as the Glock.

Stick to 15lb or greater hammer springs for maximum reliability. I would add an extended firing pin but you need to make sure that there are no issues with it protruding from your breechface or you could end up having a slam fire. Also, the reduced power firing pin springs are NOT recommended for carry purposes in non firing pin block models so depending on what you go for, keep that in mind.

Out of the box the CZ is a great weapon and IS indeed very reliable but very few of us these days leave our guns alone, even if they're carry guns.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-14, 17:09
Will the firing pin retaining pin breakage issue be avoided if I dry fire with snap caps that cushion the firing pin (A-Zoom)?

Quack
08-27-14, 17:15
Should be OK. Most use an oring or a piece of foam

Knightsofnee
08-27-14, 18:55
Cajun Gun Works has a kit (Ultra-Lite Self-Defense Kit) you may want to look at. A #83 o-ring works well for dry firing.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-14, 21:00
Why would I use an O ring if I have A Zooms?

Is the problem that the firing pin strikes the retaining pin if a primer is not in the way to restrict fwd travel? If so, an A zoom fixes the problem.

Magsz
08-27-14, 22:16
The A zoom gives more than a traditional primer. Plus, you have the actual explosion pushing the firing pin back into its channel.

I would cushion the hammer versus using snap caps.

The fact is, the pin will eventually break but it takes alot to get it to go. The CGW's pins are pretty robust and hold up much better than the factory pin.

Alpha Sierra
08-28-14, 05:38
I'll probably just replace the firing pins with CGW parts up front and be done with it.

m4brian
08-29-14, 12:20
1. They don't really compare to modern handguns. They did gain kudos decades ago for being great 'wondernines". They are very reliable, fairly easy to work on, accurate, and pretty robust - think BHP with the ability to go DS/SA. Or think Beretta, but ability to go C/L and heavier. Generally the triggers OTB are very shootable (more so than the BHP), but because of the pretravel, can be gritty and a little inconsistent. Hence, all the folks getting trigger work mods. BUT, they can be shot very well as is. Also, the DA can be a bit heavy and it is a tad long.

2. I'm not a fan of using extremely weak mainsprings (to get the DA pull down low). While that may work better in DA, it puts more stress on the slide stop and frame during recoil for the same reason many smiths don't recommend that change in a BHP. Many of the older PreBs had very slick useable DA triggers.

3. To compare a CZ style weapon in the modern sense, look at the P07 or P09. The P01 and PCR are comparable to the SIG 228, etc. But they are decocker only.

bigdave24
08-29-14, 12:51
If it's for carry/defense, I would leave it stock.

m4brian
08-29-14, 13:03
If for mostly HD, a B is a good weapon. It can be carried but is a tad hefty and a bit thicker than a 1911 - not too much, and slimmer than a SIG or Beretta. The other option here is to look around for an old PreB - but the sights aren't as good. I do have a transitional with the newer sights, and both the SA and DA are amazing. Also, trigger reset without the block (hence, the "B"), is very short. These triggers are easy to work on if needed, but are somewhat better than the B out of the box. Third option here is the Omega version. Trigger is generally better OTB, and its a new B model.

If for carry mostly, you may consider the PCR - lightweight, slim/small, and will be more accurate than the Glock OTB. BUT - its only DA/SA with a decocker.

bigmatt
08-29-14, 15:03
I came from Glocks as well (17 and 19) when I first bought my CZ 75 SP01. The first range day I absolutely fell in love with it and it is way more accurate and easier to shoot well than either of my Glocks. It actually makes me look like a good shooter!! I still use my G19 as a carry gun as the 41+ oz. unloaded weight of the SP01 isn't carry friendly. But, I shoot it the most and use it at least once a month in a local IDPA matches. The big problem with CZ's is once you buy one you will have more!

Alpha Sierra
08-29-14, 15:57
A few days ago I traded into a CZ 75BD and I am blown away by how easy it is to shoot quickly and accurately. Its longer sight radius is a godsend to presbyoptic eyes like mine, compared to shorter CZs like the P-07 (that I have), the 75 Compact, 75 PCR, P-01, P-02, P-06, and 2075.

Pilot1
08-29-14, 16:04
I'm considering getting a CZ 75B,I've always had Glocks,how do they compare to some of the more modern pistols?Any modifications you can suggest?Gunsmihts?thanks.

I have two CZ's, a 75B I bought new in 1998, and a 75D PCR I bought in new 2000. They are both stock, and the triggers have become very nice, in fact the PCR's was light, and crisp right out of the box, and is my daily carry. Triggers will vary a bit on CZ, although the new Omega is consistently good out of the box. You can go the CGW, or CZ Custom route if you don't like the trigger. Either can make it as you want.

They are excellent pistols, and the 75 variants accept the Kadet Kit .22LR conversion which I also have, and really enjoy. For carry, I would stay with a PCR, P-01, RAMI, or P-07.

KalashniKEV
08-30-14, 10:01
You don't need to do anything to it.

When you prove it out, keep an eye on the slidestop for premature wear. It seems to me that the CZs that break slide stops do it frequently and some just never do, possibly because of geometry. I have never had a problem, but mine are a Pre-B and a Turk Mil contract overrun.

CZ-75's already have fairly short reset out of the box (perhaps the shortest standard?), so give it a try with 500 rounds first.

Sights on the modern CZs are good and can be replaced easily with Meprolights.

williejc
09-02-14, 22:23
I've owned three CZ 75 variants and thought highly of them. Two required tweaking. If you read the CZ Forum, you'll learn that many guys had to replace extractor springs, magazine springs, and make various adjustments to get these pistols to run. Disassembly and reassembly in my opinion is complicated--especially in decocker models. It seems that CZ has refined some things that are no longer issues. We have some really excellent pistol smiths who have specialized in these handguns. What's my point? Buy one or more. They are good values with good customer support from the importer.

Recently, I bought a new P-07 and like it. Although it is said that this pistol is over sprung, I will not replace recoil and hammer springs to achieve a lighter trigger pull. One reason is that I shoot hot ammo. Another is that with use roughness will be removed.

Bigun
09-03-14, 05:39
Ive owned 2 B model CZ 75's and one pre B All purchased new Also own a P01 Other than the Original pre B all have required some trigger work. But once done they are superb handguns. The P01 has become my main carry piece and will hold that honor until either death rays become available or I wear it out whichever comes first. My 75B is my favorite range pistol by far even eclipsing my Custom Springfield 1911. Cajun gun works are your friends. Everything I have bought from them I have also installed and there are numerous tutorials on youtube to help with that endevour. I really need to find a transitional model 75 so I can have the best of both worlds. PS MEG GAR mags are superior to the factory CZ mags and about half the cost.

m4brian
09-03-14, 07:29
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14097473334746&key=d2f6dc3d61fd72ef48d01980d6bfec29&libId=2895b15a-fdb9-41c8-84db-723766964dec&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fbriang2ad.u.yuku.com%2Ffs%2Fview%2Ffid%2F54207&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.yuku.com%2Fimage%2Fjpeg%2F2d3153d0fe0c9b6e941e565c7dc69b62c440198.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fbriang2ad.u.yuku.com%2Ffs%2Fls%2Fid%2F86531&title=Images%20-%20My%20Images&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.yuku.com%2Fimage%2Fjpeg%2F2d3153d0fe0c9b6e941e565c7dc69b62c440198.jpg Pawn Shop Special.

09-03-14, 07:45
After owning several CZ's and competing with a pre-B for many years my preferences would be:
Replace stock extractor spring with Wolff XP unit.
Replace stock mag brake with thicker SS unit sold by CZ Custom.
Look for new sights, CZ Custom has some options.

Eventually get some trigger work done.

m4brian
09-03-14, 08:58
If you can nail a transitional you gain all the CZ USA sight options and lose the FPB - all good. It will also likely need less trigger work.

Alpha Sierra
09-03-14, 09:00
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14097473334746&key=d2f6dc3d61fd72ef48d01980d6bfec29&libId=2895b15a-fdb9-41c8-84db-723766964dec&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fbriang2ad.u.yuku.com%2Ffs%2Fview%2Ffid%2F54207&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.yuku.com%2Fimage%2Fjpeg%2F2d3153d0fe0c9b6e941e565c7dc69b62c440198.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fbriang2ad.u.yuku.com%2Ffs%2Fls%2Fid%2F86531&title=Images%20-%20My%20Images&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.yuku.com%2Fimage%2Fjpeg%2F2d3153d0fe0c9b6e941e565c7dc69b62c440198.jpg Pawn Shop Special.

Is that a transitional?

m4brian
09-03-14, 09:25
Yes sir. Came with the best SA pull I ever felt on a cz (OTB). DA needed smoothing. Now it is glass. Also was able to change the safety to B to match.

Alpha Sierra
09-03-14, 11:06
I have a BD that will be headed to CGW for some love as soon as I figure out exactly what I want done.

Bigun
09-08-14, 03:16
I have a BD that will be headed to CGW for some love as soon as I figure out exactly what I want done.

Dont believe the people that say you cant get a great trigger on the decocker models. My P01 is every bit as nice as the standard model 75B that I converted over to S/A. 6.5lb D/A pull 3lb S/A. CGW has a package for you.

Pilot1
09-08-14, 06:04
Dont believe the people that say you cant get a great trigger on the decocker models. My P01 is every bit as nice as the standard model 75B that I converted over to S/A. 6.5lb D/A pull 3lb S/A. CGW has a package for you.

My stock 75D PCR (the D stands for decocker in these models) has a very nice, light, and crisp trigger. It is a bit better than my 75B's which is also very good. Again, they are both totally stock with no mods.

m4brian
09-08-14, 13:01
The decocker just makes it harder to work on. Same type of trigger. If you buy a gun with a good SA trigger and you can find them, The DA pull is fairly easy to smooth yourself... unless you have a decocker. But, there are smiths who work on them now.

Of course the whole 75 system was designed as SA/DA with the option for C/L. This made it so attractive to US shooters, ad you continued a 1911 manual of arms with double strike capAbility if desired. Add lawyers and Europeans, and we got the decocker. Actually decocking the CZ is pretty easy. Also, the high thumbs fwd hold is easier with the manual safety also.

Magsz
09-08-14, 20:36
The only real issue with running cocked and locked is that the safety design on the CZ is pretty terrible. The paddle is not exactly easy to operate like say a 1911. Even the extended Shadow safeties are less than stellar because of their positioning. Some people can make it work better than others but the CZ's lower paddle makes it less of a "gas pedal" than a 1911's EXCELLENT design and location.

m4brian
09-10-14, 15:50
I actually find the CZ safety fairly easy to use. Not optimum, but not bad. If my thumbs were longer it would be perfect. Also, you don't have the grip safety to master with high thumbs. The CZ safety is easy to use and maintain the thumb over it and the internal rail system helps keep you thumbs off of the slide. It is actually a very good feature of the CZ 75 series.