PDA

View Full Version : What's the Rarest Gun You've ever owned?

Doc Safari
08-27-14, 15:28
In 1993 I was talking with a dealer at a gun show and they mentioned that they had a new-in-box IMI Galil. Being new to firearms and not knowing too much about bans or assault rifle values I thought the $1,200 price tag was for a pre-ban model. It turned out to be a post-ban thumbhole-stocked abortion. I bought it anyway. The lack of a flash hider of course meant that it put out a three-foot flame with every shot. The thumbhole stock attached with a long bolt through the stock that kept loosening. You had to access the bolt through a concealed hole in the rubber butt plate, which of course meant that every time you tightened it up you made that access hole a little more ragged.

Still, I liked it well enough that I kept it for a couple of years until I traded it for something else.

If I had held onto that weapon I certainly would have unbanned it.

I have never seen another genuine IMI Galil of any form in person in the last 20+ years.

SteyrAUG
08-27-14, 16:49
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8499/00000000197.jpg

Pre 68 transferable, HK G3. It's the second one down below the HK 1962 GSAD import semi auto HK G3.

HKGuns
08-27-14, 17:02
You just plain suck SAUG. Color me envious.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-14, 17:15
S&W Military & Police Model of 1905 4th Change

SteyrAUG
08-27-14, 18:45
You just plain suck SAUG. Color me envious.

If you want to see some serious early generation HK rifles check these threads.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?33942-The-HK-G3-Semi-Auto-Rifle

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?78756-So-You-Want-To-Buy-A-HK91-G3-Rifle

Campbell
08-27-14, 18:53
Mitchell import Yugos, and a few pre-64 model 70's. Nothing super rare...

SpeedRacer
08-27-14, 19:06
About the only "rare" gun I've owned was an all original, non-refurbished '53 Izhevsk SKS. Bought it cheap because I had tons of x39 and wanted something knew to blast with. Someone clued me in to how collectible it was and it lived proudly in my safe for all of a week before I realized owning a gun I couldn't shoot was lame. Sold it and funded most of an AR build with the proceeds.

ALCOAR
08-27-14, 19:27
My HK USPc 40 SE Urban Gray 1/500

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/3333/55576fe9-605a-4b8f-9683-8c7a60576d86_zpsd27f110d.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/3333/55576fe9-605a-4b8f-9683-8c7a60576d86_zpsd27f110d.jpg.html)

LGS had no idea what they actually had.....bought it cheaper than a standard USP :D

MountainRaven
08-27-14, 20:19
Merkel 1622.

16-gauge side-by-side on a 20-gauge frame with decorative side plates. Only a hundred or so were imported, IIRC. Haven't seen one before or since. Beautiful gun, though, and the one I may regret the most (other than perhaps the P7 PSP).

C4IGrant
08-27-14, 20:21
Two STI 2011'S (CONSECUTIVE) issued to Delta.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ralph
08-27-14, 20:40
I've got a Mauser M96 "American" straight-pull bolt action rifle..in .243. Also have a S&W 629 with factory ported barrel, four digit serial number, first two numbers are 00.... While not a firearm also have a m1905 bayonet made by Wilde Drop Forge and Tool company (WT) in 1943.. with correct, possibly original scabbard. Blade is still full length,16". Most of these(about 99%) were cut down to 10". WT only made (from what I've read) around 60-65,000 or so, during WWII. Bought this at a flea market, back in the 70's for $15-20..blade was covered in cosomoline when I got it.. Appears unissued. Looks great on my '03A3

Ready.Fire.Aim
08-27-14, 20:55
MP5SD. It's value rose so high I sold it last month. I had a lot of fun with it.

I had a OOB kaboom on my Uzi in May that bent the top cover. I was afraid of the potential of a kaboom destroying the HK's value.

So I did 5 mag dumps, cleaned it, and sold it for a ridiculously high price locally the next day.

ScottsBad
08-27-14, 21:18
Mitchell import Yugos, and a few pre-64 model 70's. Nothing super rare...

Me too. I generally don't like rare or valuable firearms because I like to shoot my guns, but I do have some semi-rare/semi-valuable firearms. Two pre-64 Winchester Model 70s in excellent condition, a mint .357 Colt Python 4", and a valuable Browning 20 gauge over and under kit that seems to have some good blue book value. Nothing too rare.

However, I prefer to have guns that I don't mind shooting or getting dirty.

TriviaMonster
08-27-14, 21:30
My friend had a Taurus semi auto that actually worked!

But my own collection is boring, save for a GI WW2 import from the dark side.

PD Sgt.
08-27-14, 23:01
A Smith and Wesson 625-7 in .45 Colt with a 3" barrel. One of about 175 made for Lew Horton Distributors.

TheBelly
08-27-14, 23:42
1850 Lawrence musket that was used in the American Civil war......on the confederate side of the house.

AKDoug
08-28-14, 00:30
I don't know how rare it was, but I had a 1952 Colt Commander in 9mm. I still have a 1956 .45 Commander, but it's not in original condition in any way.

Vash1023
08-28-14, 00:39
steyr scout tactical in grey. never should have sold it...... regret it to this day

Honu
08-28-14, 02:38
my brother has one of these
http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/hotchkiss165.html

pretty fun to take out and fire :)

orionz06
08-28-14, 06:56
I had an accurate 9mm M&P. Does that count as rare?

C4IGrant
08-28-14, 08:02
I had an accurate 9mm M&P. Does that count as rare?

LOL, not any more. Pretty common place now. :)

C4

orionz06
08-28-14, 08:09
LOL, not any more. Pretty common place now. :)

C4

Maybe I'll look into them again... I have a bin full of mags. I still have a new one I've never fired...

The_War_Wagon
08-28-14, 08:17
PROBABLY a Ruger P-91. KLIN - TON I made sure there was no point to them a couple years later, so they shifted to the P-94.

C4IGrant
08-28-14, 08:17
Maybe I'll look into them again... I have a bin full of mags. I still have a new one I've never fired...

When you do, let me know. I will personally go through all of them and find the best factory fitting barrel for you.

C4

7.62WildBill
08-28-14, 08:25
DWM Mauser Argentino 1908, sportierized with a 30-06 barrel in a walnut and rosewood stock. Definitely miss that rifle.

brickboy240
08-28-14, 11:39
I actually have two...

First is a 1913 Mexican Arisaka Type 38 long rifle in 7x57 Mauser. In 1913, the Mexican govt. contracted the Nagoya Arsenal in Japan to build Type 38 Long Rifles in 7x57mm Mauser caliber. When Mexico stopped paying the Japanese...they stopped making and shipping the rifles. They only made these rifles in 1913. It looks like any other type 38 Arisaka except for the eagle and snake Mexican crest on the receiver ring and the different caliber. I have never shot this rifle and it is solid but has seen hard use. My guess is that it would up in Texas after the Mexican revolution. Paid 200 dollars for it in a Waco pawn shop where it had sat for years and had a thick coat of dust and surface rust. the thing is worth thousands..I have been told. Who knew?

Second is a 1918 dated Erfurt arsenal made P-08 German Luger. This pistol has all matching serial numbers and the original wooden bottomed magazine. The pistol also has a near mint bore. At some point in time, this pistol was captured by the Russians in the end of WWII and re-worked and issued to the East German Volkspolezei. It wears a perkerized finish, DDR stampings and some 1950s era bakelite grips. Now...how does a WWI issued Luger make it through 2 world wars, Russian capture and service in the East German Police and have a mint bore and all matching serial numbers? Oh..if this thing could talk. (I have shot it...the thing shoots just fine)

Rare guns? Well...I think they are rare.

-brickboy240

Doc Safari
08-28-14, 11:45
I actually have two...

First is a 1913 Mexican Arisaka Type 38 long rifle in 7x57 Mauser. In 1913, the Mexican govt. contracted the Nagoya Arsenal in Japan to build Type 38 Long Rifles in 7x57mm Mauser caliber. When Mexico stopped paying the Japanese...they stopped making and shipping the rifles. They only made these rifles in 1913. It looks like any other type 38 Arisaka except for the eagle and snake Mexican crest on the receiver ring and the different caliber. I have never shot this rifle and it is solid but has seen hard use. My guess is that it would up in Texas after the Mexican revolution. Paid 200 dollars for it in a Waco pawn shop where it had sat for years and had a thick coat of dust and surface rust. the thing is worth thousands..I have been told. Who knew?

Second is a 1918 dated Erfurt arsenal made P-08 German Luger. This pistol has all matching serial numbers and the original wooden bottomed magazine. The pistol also has a near mint bore. At some point in time, this pistol was captured by the Russians in the end of WWII and re-worked and issued to the East German Volkspolezei. It wears a perkerized finish, DDR stampings and some 1950s era bakelite grips. Now...how does a WWI issued Luger make it through 2 world wars, Russian capture and service in the East German Police and have a mint bore and all matching serial numbers? Oh..if this thing could talk. (I have shot it...the thing shoots just fine)

-brickboy240

Fantastic stories. My dad owned a German P08 Luger in the 1970's with all matching numbers including the magazine. Right after building his new house it got stolen and the deputies investigating said that it looked like a burglary committed by illegal aliens looking for guns to take back to Mexico. (How they deduced that I never knew).

I wonder if someday that Luger could turn up in the same pawn shop as that Arisaka....

OH58D
08-28-14, 12:36
1940 Manufactured Walther (AC 40) P-38 with two matching serial number magazines and issued holster.

SteyrAUG
08-28-14, 14:16
I actually have two...

-brickboy240

I was like "meh" till I got to the part about the DDR stampings. THAT would be a cool Luger to own.

Bolt_Overide
08-28-14, 14:44
cased kriegoff luger carbine. sold it some time back, got it for around 800, sold it for a great deal more than that.

brickboy240
08-28-14, 15:53
Weird thing is that I paid maybe 350 bucks for that DDR marked Luger back in 1996. The gun store owner had about 4-5 East German re-work Lugers but this was the only one with all matching numbers. Way back when...East German Lugers were nothing special...in fact many snobbish Luger collectors turns their noses up at them!

I would not sell this thing for any amount...it has a story and the markings on the gun prove it. If only it could talk.

-brickboy240

SteyrAUG
08-28-14, 18:57
Weird thing is that I paid maybe 350 bucks for that DDR marked Luger back in 1996. The gun store owner had about 4-5 East German re-work Lugers but this was the only one with all matching numbers. Way back when...East German Lugers were nothing special...in fact many snobbish Luger collectors turns their noses up at them!

I would not sell this thing for any amount...it has a story and the markings on the gun prove it. If only it could talk.

-brickboy240

Yep, I remember the flood of Iron Curtain Lugers that came in for $400 or so. I was too busy buying other stuff and WISH I had grabbed dozens of them, but I just didn't have the extra funds. I knew they'd dry up and climb in price. At least I jumped on a bunch of HK P7s when they were cheap.

Kain
08-28-14, 19:09
Not rare, persay, but odd in that I had never seen one up to having it in my hands and then buying it, a Beretta 92SB. All Italian, well used, looks like it was a duty weapon going by the wear. Love the gun and is the reason I really want another one for hard use, just afraid that this gun's trigger has spoiled me. Have a few other odd ball guns, but that is the one that I find to be the rarest since I have never seen another one in person. Wouldn't mind grabbing another one if I could get it for around the same price I paid for this one.

militarymoron
08-28-14, 20:16
TangoDown-marked LMT lower with my own 'MM' serial number.
HK93 and SP89. not rare back in the day, but less common now.

JohnnyC
08-29-14, 00:21
An HK EFL is about as rare as I've got. Next would be a P7M13, but those aren't nearly as rare as most of the guns in this thread.

Now an HK P11, that's a rarity I'd pay some coin for.

MAUSER202
08-29-14, 17:38
An all matching byf 42 k98 with a walnut stock. Harder to find 1942 dated mausers as much production in 42 went to resupply losses on the eastern front.

CleverNickname
08-30-14, 14:57
I used to own a MAC SSSW AOW

http://i.imgur.com/XQBFSjr.jpg

TomD
08-30-14, 15:07
A Pasadena .44 Auto Mag with personalized serial number. A nice conversation piece and still shoot it occasionally.

opsoff1
09-01-14, 08:47
I've actually had a few that eventually went to auction, still have a few left.
Probably the rarest was a S&W - Norwich CT .31 cal Pocket Model Pistol - sn A20 this was mfr'd circa 1854-55. Sold at action - paid for my wedding and a truck...

Another was a pair of Win 1895's that were new in the box, circa 1899 - consecutive SN's sold at auction.

I recently put up for auction a number of pieces that had some rarity / value:
British Sniper rifle No4 Mk1(T) - this was an original rifle that was produced by Holland and Holland in London from original No4Mk1 trials rifles mfr'd in 1932 - there were only 1100 produced. They went into storage until WWII broke out. Shipped to H&H and were rebuilt into snipers. This rifle as verified by the SN by Peter Laidler (of the British Small Arms Pattern Room) was issued to one of the British Commando troops - and was present in engagements like Dieppe, St Nazaire and jumped into Normandy. Collector in Canada bought it for a hefty sum.

I also sold a P-38 pistol that was produced by FN - somewhat rare - they are worth about 4x what a std P38 runs.

Sold a Colt 1911 - produced in 1913 - 5 digit gun, unfired. (Beautiful pistol)

I have sitting in my safe an M1 Garand that is an original gas trap gun - 4 digit sn produced in 1937.

Also in the safe - 1927A1 TSMG Savage produced. Not super rare - but a bit pricey.

I have had over the years some pretty spectacular pieces come my way. I've missed out on quite a few too - that that's the nature of the collecting game.