PDA

View Full Version : New BCM lower: mag release protrudes out left side of receiver when pressed/sticks

Chris17404
08-27-14, 19:08
Hi guys,

I just received my new complete BCM lower from Grant. Upon inspection, I've found that when I press the magazine release button firmly (like normal when dropping a mag), the magazine release protrudes out the left side of the receiver and gets stuck in the pressed position. This happens with no mag and with a mag. The release lever is able to drop slightly, overhanging the edge and catch the edge of the receiver, preventing it from returning. What can be done to fix this? Thanks.

Chris

Kain
08-27-14, 19:11
Get an object, preferably something that isn't going to mark the mag release button, and press the mag button down until it is fully depressed and the latch is fully exposed. Then rotate it another full turn and release. Check once again to see if it helped. May take a couple turns before it is good. Pretty simple if you've ever assembled a lower, though if you never have it can be a little touchy.

sva01
08-27-14, 19:12
Tuning in for this one as mine does the same thing.

Zim
08-27-14, 19:36
Here's a link showing pictures of what Kain is talking about. (http://thearmsguide.com/3385/how-to-build-an-ar-15-lower-receiver-magazine-catch/) It's really simple to do, and doesn't pose any potential danger to the receiver to try. If it doesn't work, it can be un-done just as easily.

Iraqgunz
08-27-14, 21:14
First and foremost you should be contacting GandR or BCM about the issue. Have you done that?

Shiz
08-27-14, 22:30
might be an easy fix...as Kain suggests.

Chris17404
08-28-14, 05:32
Thank you Kain and Zim for the advice and excellent video. One extra turn resolved the issue. I tried two extra turns for a little extra assurance, but that had the screw protruding slightly from the button, so I backed it down to only one extra turn. Seems fine now. Let me know if you think anything else should be investigated. Thanks again!

Chris

SteveL
08-28-14, 07:17
Sounds like you got it. If that didn't fix the problem then I'd think you had a part out of spec.

TehLlama
08-28-14, 13:22
... and most importantly, as IG eluded to, you could have contacted the manufacturer or retailer and received probably that exact same advice.

markm
08-28-14, 13:28
It's often quicker to find out from us, here if it's actually a problem worth bugging the dealer or Mfg.

Chris17404
08-28-14, 13:33
It's often quicker to find out from us, here if it's actually a problem worth bugging the dealer or Mfg.

Exactly... I figure Grant and BCM are very busy, and I knew someone knowledgeable here would respond very quickly. Besides, now there's a thread for other people to search for who may have a similar issue in the future.

Zim
08-28-14, 14:51
It's such a simple fix that it's hardly worth bothering a dealer over, and it's easy enough to come up one turn off (+ or -) that no one should feel slighted by it being posted on a forum.

markm
08-28-14, 15:07
It's a balance between keeping people from dragging a company's name through the mud for something they've not had the opportunity to rectify, and little stuff that can be corrected on the customers end.

Zim
08-28-14, 15:42
Exactly. This seems like a perfect example of the little stuff.