PDA

View Full Version : .223 Remington UMC Ammo Question.

Bob Reed
06-15-08, 14:37
Hello,

I have a chance to pick-up some .223 Remington UMC, 55gr. Ball, Part No. L223R3 for a decent price.

In you guys experiences, is the above mentioned ammo powerful enough to run reliable with an A2 Rifle Gas System?

Thanks for your help.

RD62
06-15-08, 15:39
I ran about 100 rounds of it through my new LMT 10.5" with no problems. While it's not my favorite, I think it'll probably work ok for you. I had a gift card to burn and this was all they had in .223.

-RD62

Bob Reed
06-16-08, 07:41
Hello & Thanks RD62,

Due to my location, it's not easy to get to the rifle range too often, that's why I didn't just pick-up 4 or 5 boxes and try it and then get more if it ran reliably in my A2.

FWIW: The guys at the shop have had 100% reliability with it in their 16" carbines with Std. M4 (H) Buffers.

If any of you have tried the ammo in question in your 20" A2's, I'd sure like to hear how it ran.

Thanks Again.

Robb Jensen
06-16-08, 07:57
The Remington is known to be weak, as is Wolf and PMC Bronze. If it works in your gun great, but if it short strokes don't be surprised.

I was going to shoot some 55gr PMC Bronze at my next big USPSA Multigun match at the end of this month because it shoots very softly. I had a friend chronograph some PMC Bronze through his 16" midlength (same length/make barrel I use with about same wear) and it made 151 power factor (roughly 2750fps), WAY too close the the 150 power factor floor. So I'll be shooting some 62gr Prvi which makes 172 power factor (roughly 2790fps). For competition if you shoot under the power factor floor basically you shot the match for fun as your rifle stage points won't count.

Power factor = bullet weight x velocity / 1000

markm
06-16-08, 08:43
UMC, although weak, should easily run an A2 set up. If I could get it at a decent price, I would. Weak ammo should run on most ARs if the propellant is right. The thing with ammo like PMC bronze is they have the wrong propellant. I get short strokes in my A2s and my carbean gas systems. But I can load ammo on my dillon that is just as weak, but will cycle any of my guns.

The original (04) wolf/priv m193 is another example of wrong propellant. That ammo was loaded pretty hot, yet would short stroke in all of my 20" guns, and even in one of my SBRs.

In other words, how hot a round is loaded is only part of the equation. I like mild ammo for practice. I see no sense in running hot ammo all the time.

Bob Reed
06-16-08, 11:25
Hello & Thanks for all the additional info.

Take Care Men.

LGB
06-16-08, 18:36
I shot a box of UMC through my crono for shits and giggles and was surprised. Average was just under 3000 fps...

markm
06-17-08, 08:23
I shot a box of UMC through my crono for shits and giggles and was surprised. Average was just under 3000 fps...

Out of what barrel length?

The UMC formula for .223 seemed to have changed some time last year. The ammo seemed to be running a little hotter. And the brass no longer had the annealing discoloration to it. (they must have polished the brass after annealing) But there were several reports of no crimp and bullet set back. Some guys were even sending the ammo back to the manufacturor.

I ran the last box I bought of this stuff thru my Lee factory crimp die as a precaution. None of it appeared to be crimped to the naked eye.

Wayne Dobbs
06-17-08, 09:43
I've fired about 2000 rounds of it (purchased by the 20 round box from Wally World) through my 6920 with absolutely no problems during a Pat Rogers class and a LAV class this year.

threefeathers
06-17-08, 11:59
This is well made ammo and the brass is supburb for reloading. My experience is that it is not quite as hot as 3131 or even Fiocchi, but it goes boom all the time. I'll have to try the new stuff. I'd put it on a par with PMC Bronze which is also quite good ammo.

markm
06-17-08, 12:07
This is well made ammo and the brass is supburb for reloading. My experience is that it is not quite as hot as 3131 or even Fiocchi, but it goes boom all the time. I'll have to try the new stuff. I'd put it on a par with PMC Bronze which is also quite good ammo.

Over the years I've had and seen UMC blow primers out on known good weapons. One of the incidents had me worried about damage to the weapon, it was so bad. In general, I love UMC for the brass. But I consider the quality of the ammo to be mediocre. My favorite thing is to hit the range after someone else has been shooting UMC and leaves their brass. :)

I have not had the same experience as you with PMC bronze. It short strokes in my rifle length gas systems, but runs ok in the beans. I won't keep any significant amount of ammo on hand that doesn't run all gas systems reliably.

LGB
06-17-08, 15:59
Out of what barrel length?

It was a 16" barrel. I've only run a few hundred rounds of this stuff through so I'm gonna reserve comments other than the velosity. Low of 2873, high of 3020 and average of 2976.

markm
06-17-08, 16:22
Wow. I would have guessed that velocity out of a 20 inch.

Submariner
06-19-08, 15:53
Three of my children and I just shot 5700+ rounds of UMC in a three-day EAG Carbine Operator Class through four Colt carbines. Three rounds were identified in the magazine loading process to have insufficient crimp; another one induced a failure to feed.

We have enough for next year.

demigod-We picked up all the brass.:D