PDA

View Full Version : Temperature and life expectancy of CR123 batteries

Eurodriver
08-28-14, 06:30
Assuming quality CR123 batteries, how does the ambient temperature affect them? Does it at all? In what ways? I've tried googling this but it comes up that the batteries get hot during use.

I'm specifically referring to keeping a CR123-fed light in a vehicle in the Florida sun. Would daily temp swings from 80* at night (yes, our low temperature is ~81*) to 150* during the day cause problems? How soon?

What about when it gets wicked cold in the winter and the interior is 45* at night but the sun still heats the interior to well over 120*?

markm
08-28-14, 08:40
I've kept them in my truck here in AZ for extended periods/seasons, and they don't seem to be significantly impacted.

There may be some degradation, but nothing I could notice. I'd end up grabbing my truck light and running the hell out of it in the desert on night shoots, and I never was let down by the CR123s

MorphCross
08-28-14, 12:02
My short answer, buy Surefire brand CR123 at this point in time. Panasonic brand fry and lose their charge in Missouri Summer heat in a black small cab truck. My Surefire's have yet to dump their charge when exposed to the same temperature for the same duration.

I'm going to give Rayovac Lithium a chance on an unmounted weapon light in the same cab.

markm
08-28-14, 12:08
I try to avoid buying anything with SUREFIRE on it if at all possible. I work too hard to fund the lush furnishings in their executive suites. You can get good selections on batreeze at the online battery stores... batterystation, batteryjunction, etc.

gun71530
08-28-14, 12:37
My short answer, buy Surefire brand CR123 at this point in time. Panasonic brand fry and lose their charge in Missouri Summer heat in a black small cab truck. My Surefire's have yet to dump their charge when exposed to the same temperature for the same duration.

I'm going to give Rayovac Lithium a chance on an unmounted weapon light in the same cab.

I'm pretty sure that the Surefires are rebranded Panasonics.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
08-28-14, 21:32
I have been doing an experiment with a Surefire G3 in my vehicle in Texas. Low temps this winter got below 20, and it stayed below freezing for about 10 days. For a couple of weeks in the summer, the ambient temperature never drops below a hundred. But it's been a really cool summer this year so - we've only had a dozen days over 100 degrees.

That flashlight still runs after 3 years now with that same set of batteries. I just test it once a month on payday. The other three flashlights in the car get a regular battery rotation. I do them when the Daylight Saving Time starts and ends. I have a rotation system like that for all the battery-powered doodads. Smoke detectors, weapon lights, Aimpoints, etc.

lobstradomus
08-29-14, 02:14
If I recall correctly, US made CR123 batteries are produced almost exclusively by Panasonic who also produces the cells relabeled and sold as Streamlight, Surefire, Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac and Battery Station batteries; with a maximum storage temperature between -20 degrees to 45 degrees Celsius and an ideal stable storage temperature between 5 to 35 degrees Celsius with <70% humidity.
I can't say for certain how sudden or severe the loss of capacity will be in your situation compared to the standard self discharge, but having lived in the CA desert I have learned that certain things should not be left in a hot car -for instance, water bottles will melt and leak, then promptly evaporate and turn your car into a mobile sauna, glass thermometers left on your dashboard will explode and stain your interior in a pattern reminiscent of a crappy Jackson Pollock, etc. In the end I have taken to simply carrying my flashlight with me.

MorphCross
08-29-14, 03:38
I'm pretty sure that the Surefires are rebranded Panasonics.

If I recall correctly, US made CR123 batteries are produced almost exclusively by Panasonic who also produces the cells relabeled and sold as Streamlight, Surefire, Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac and Battery Station batteries; with a maximum storage temperature between -20 degrees to 45 degrees Celsius and an ideal stable storage temperature between 5 to 35 degrees Celsius with <70% humidity.
I can't say for certain how sudden or severe the loss of capacity will be in your situation compared to the standard self discharge, but having lived in the CA desert I have learned that certain things should not be left in a hot car -for instance, water bottles will melt and leak, then promptly evaporate and turn your car into a mobile sauna, glass thermometers left on your dashboard will explode and stain your interior in a pattern reminiscent of a crappy Jackson Pollock, etc. In the end I have taken to simply carrying my flashlight with me.

It's interesting information, and just goes to show that I shouldn't have let one bad experience color my judgement on the brand. You learn something new everyday.

WS6
09-06-14, 02:33
I try to avoid buying anything with SUREFIRE on it if at all possible. I work too hard to fund the lush furnishings in their executive suites. You can get good selections on batreeze at the online battery stores... batterystation, batteryjunction, etc.

I pay $20/12 and have yet to find anything meaningfully cheaper.

WS6
09-06-14, 02:36
I disagree. Performance graphs for different us made cr123 batteries differ. Panasonic may make them, but if so, they build to spec and there Is a difference.

gun71530
09-06-14, 04:04
I disagree. Performance graphs for different us made cr123 batteries differ. Panasonic may make them, but if so, they build to spec and there Is a difference.

I've used Panasonics throughout 8 years in the Army, and they have been just as reliable as Surefires I've bought for my personal use.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Shao
09-06-14, 05:58
All I know is that I found some 2012 dated Surefire CR123s still wrapped in plastic at the bottom of my battery chest a short while back. I popped them into a Surefire U2 and I've been using it daily for a couple of weeks now with no signs of losing power yet. I think that those expiration dates are a little pessimistic. Oh yeah, and they've been stored at Texas room temp for who knows how long.

EDIT: Forgot to add the story of my brother's 9P. He had purchased a round body 9P in the 90's and lost it. He found it the other day - it had been sitting in a hot TX garage for at LEAST seven years. He twisted the tailcap and it lit up. The expiration on those cells was 2005.

Vegasshooter
09-08-14, 22:04
I live and work in Las Vegas. We have temps that run from the 20's in the winter to well north of 100 in the summer. I have been using Surefire lights exclusively since 1997. I have used about every brand out there in that time. I have never noticed a negative effect on any CR123's from temperatures. I don't think I could really tell you that any one brand outlasted another either. Just my experience. Ymmv.