PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy cheap outdoor grill brushes....

Hmac
08-28-14, 09:28
My afternoon yesterday was spent dealing with this perforation of the small intestine. Initial thought from the CT scan was that it was a fishbone (the patient is a big outdoor grill fanatic) but in surgery I found that it was a steel bristle that had come loose from her grill brush, got into her food and she swallowed it. Perforated the last part of the duodenum and caused a pretty good sized abscess. The operation took a couple of hours. She's going to be here awhile recovering. Nasty business.

Moral of the story....don't buy cheap stainless steel grill brushes and wipe the grill down after you scrub it.

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/60/230460/1/157167289.hUzuno7P.wirebristle.jpg

Airhasz
08-28-14, 09:38
How long do you think that wire was festering inside the person?

markm
08-28-14, 09:40
Holy shit. I guess that dollar store grill brush didn't pay off in the long run eh?

ShortytheFirefighter
Damn, I'd never heard of this happening.

I think I'll go look for new grill implements tonight. It's as good an excuse as any to retire the current stuff.

steyrman13
Wow. I have seen some grill brushes just fall apart on the grill surface sometimes and pieces fall off. I always try to wipe it and blow it off after scrubbing. Looks like I may go back to one of the stones or just use a pressure washer on the grates (while they are off the grill of course) like a friend of mine does

Hmac
08-28-14, 10:00
How long do you think that wire was festering inside the person?

Probably perforated 3 days ago. The patient came to the ER yesterday with mid-abdominal pain that had been worsening since Sunday.

Perforations of the duodenum are a bitch because of their location behind the colon and next to the pancreas. The patient is now in the ICU with a big incision and multiple drains. She's going to be fine, but she'll be here awhile.

Sam
08-28-14, 10:11
Glad your patient is on the mend.

Your public service announcement come just in time for my Labor Day weekend grilling. I'll make sure to clean the grill real good with better brush. Throw away the Dollar Tree brushes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-28-14, 10:55
Grillin' and Killin' !

I saw a case of this on the news a few years ago. I guess the bristle would lay against the grill surface and be picked up by the meat? How long was the bristle?

Ryno12
08-28-14, 11:03
I've been on the hunt for a decent grill brush for years. My search is always unsuccessful so I've been stuck buying a new POS every 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
08-28-14, 11:06
Only ESK and BravoCompany can get this done. Gunfighter Grill brush anyone?

munch520
08-28-14, 11:06
I've been on the hunt for a decent grill brush for years. My search is always unsuccessful so I've been stuck buying a new POS every 3 months.

I just crank mine to 700F to burn off crap. Then wipe excess off with a towel.

Ryno12
08-28-14, 11:13
Only ESK and BravoCompany can get this done. Gunfighter Grill brush anyone?
I don't have keymod attachments on my grill, only the old style pegs. I guess I could update my grill but then none of my other utensils would work. Dang!

I just crank mine to 700F to burn off crap. Then wipe excess off with a towel.
I'm too tight to let that much propane go to waste. That shit was over $6/gallon last winter!

GH41
08-28-14, 11:50
I'll bet the meat was on the shelf by the grill surface. While brushing the bristle broke off and jump onto the meat. The best brush I have found is the wooden handled ones painters use. Lowes has them with stainless bristles. The last me six months and we grill 2-3 times a week. I also try to clean after cooking while the grill is still hot not to waste as much gas.

lunchbox
08-28-14, 12:09
I hope the person makes a speedy recovery.
As for grilling, I get grill good and hot and use half an onion to wipe down:cool:, serves multiple purposes.

markm
08-28-14, 12:15
My grills are all cast iron and the shape could easily catch a bristle like this. I'll definitely take a peek at my grill after brushing from now on.

Hmac
08-28-14, 13:00
Grillin' and Killin' !

I saw a case of this on the news a few years ago. I guess the bristle would lay against the grill surface and be picked up by the meat? How long was the bristle?

About an inch long. Most foreign bodies will make it through without problem, so there was an element of bad luck involved for this patient. Over the years I've seen sewing needles pass through the entire GI tract, once even an open safety pin and the occasional fish hook. Fish bones can do the same thing.

Moose-Knuckle
08-28-14, 13:10
I have actually heard about this before. Happens more often they you would think; Google "person swallowed grill brush bristle".

SteyrAUG
08-28-14, 14:13
One more reason I clean my grill with a brick.

markm
08-28-14, 14:25
I'm going to start shooting my grill with a couple blasts of buckshot to knock those old burnt crusts off of it.

Big A
08-28-14, 14:40
One more reason I clean my grill with a brick.

Ok, how does one do this?

markm
08-28-14, 14:43

Don't encourage him.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-28-14, 15:20

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Grill-Cleaning-Brick/dp/B003VYSNY2

Grill brick, not an actual brick.

Moose-Knuckle
08-28-14, 15:34

Just added to my wish list, thanks!

Whiskey_Bravo
08-28-14, 15:47
Just added to my wish list, thanks!

No problem. It's what I have used for a long time. If your grill is hot you can spray a little water on it and hit it with the brick and it will clean even better. Pretty much every restaurant that has a griddle/grill of any kind uses these.

SteyrAUG
08-28-14, 19:04

I have old style square profile grill sections so it's pretty easy to take a brick and rub them clean.

SteyrAUG
08-28-14, 19:05

Actually I use a real brick. But my grill is a special case.

SeriousStudent
08-28-14, 21:09
I don't have keymod attachments on my grill, only the old style pegs. ......

That shit will get you killed on the street! :stop:

On a more serious note, thank you for the PSA, Hmac. Like a lot of other folks here, I was going to incinerate some steaks this weekend.

Ryno12
08-28-14, 21:26
Actually I use a real brick. But my grill is a special case.

Careful. Accidentally eating a piece of that can give you gall stones.

:sarcastic:

TriviaMonster
08-28-14, 22:26
I haven't grilled in forever, one of many downsides to living in an apartment. And one of many downsides to being vegetarian.

SilverBullet432
08-29-14, 00:47

oh gosh i hate those.!!

a1fabweld
08-29-14, 08:00
I always rub an olive oil soaked paper towel over the entire grill surface after it's brushed as a non-stick agent. I think it would pick up or knock off the bristles if ant came loose.

JoshNC
08-29-14, 09:20
Interesting that you posted this Hmac. I removed the bristle of a cheap grill brush that was impacted into a patient's esophagus near the GE junction. Thankfully this patient did not perf, but man it was not easy to remove.

jmp45
08-29-14, 09:28
I use a mangrate brush and a cheapy too. it's going in the trash. The mangrate brush isn't going to fall apart. Going to try the onion prep...

http://mangrate.com/shop/mangrate-brush-online-packaging/

SilverBullet432
08-29-14, 09:59
I usually rub an onion on the grill.

Hmac
08-29-14, 10:19
Interesting that you posted this Hmac. I removed the bristle of a cheap grill brush that was impacted into a patient's esophagus near the GE junction. Thankfully this patient did not perf, but man it was not easy to remove.

This one had actually gone through the posterior wall of the third portion of the duodenum and was partially embedded in the adventitia of the aorta where the abscess had formed. The whole process could well have led, ultimately, to an aortoduodenal fistula. Yikes! That would have sucked....

montanadave
08-29-14, 10:24
This one had actually gone through the posterior wall of the third portion of the duodenum and was partially embedded in the adventitia of the aorta where the abscess had formed. The whole process could well have led, ultimately, to an aortoduodenal fistula. Yikes! That would have sucked....

The mother of all GI bleeds. Gadzooks!

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 15:20
Hmac, I'm not sure if I saved anyone's life today but you might have.

Was at a coworker's house and she complained of severe throat pain. Given that we had just ate off the grill this thread was the first thing that came to mind. I peaked in with a flashlight and saw that little grill brush piece poking into her throat! Rushed her to the ER (Because only homeless people call 911) and they had 3 big handed docs all in her mouth at the same time fishing it out.

Fortunately it didn't travel into her GI Tract, they got it out without causing further damage, and now I'm the EuroHero. Rough time to get wifed up - she's the hottest Asian girl I've ever met in my life and I was born with yellow fever like a ************.

Hmac
12-27-16, 15:41

Was at a coworker's house and she complained of severe throat pain. Given that we had just ate off the grill this thread was the first thing that came to mind. I peaked in with a flashlight and saw that little grill brush piece poking into her throat! Rushed her to the ER (Because only homeless people call 911) and they had 3 big handed docs all in her mouth at the same time fishing it out.

Fortunately it didn't travel into her GI Tract, they got it out without causing further damage, and now I'm the EuroHero. Rough time to get wifed up - she's the hottest Asian girl I've ever met in my life and I was born with yellow fever like a ************.

That's very cool ED (if I can call you ED)...nice work. I didn't save any lives today, but I did get IT down to the Surgeon's Lounge to get the big-screen TV back on line. So I got that going for me.....

Eurodriver
12-27-16, 15:46
I'm not sure about the TV, but you should feel pretty good about helping save one of the vanguards of the financial markets with your M4C post. She was adamant about just "letting it go" and make she "just scratched it". I wouldn't have had a clue how serious it could be if it wasn't for your post.

Is it possible it could have dislodged from her throat and traveled into her GI tract?

P.S. You may call me ED

Coal Dragger
12-27-16, 15:57

Gainfully employed, hot, and now she knows you're a man who can look after her. Capitalize on this if possible, getting wifed up is no bad thing if it's the right girl. At the very least once her throat is healed up.....

markm
12-27-16, 16:22
He should have pulled out his hemostats and got the bristle out on the spot. :cool: There's nothing that can't be fixed by the tools in your gun cleaning and armorer's kits. :)

jmp45
12-27-16, 17:18
I took this old thread to heart and ditched the cheap brush.

I use this brush, dip in water and clean a hot grill at the end of a cook. Works great. If it starts breaking down I'll dispose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPAE1JW

Then before I bbq anything next time I clean the grill with a scrub pad like this to clear anything off the grill.

https://www.amazon.com/grill-grate-cleaner-Grill-Scrapers/dp/B01DV4B1JA

Hmac
12-27-16, 17:25
Is it possible it could have dislodged from her throat and traveled into her GI tract?

Sure. Absolutely. Nice work!

Ryno12
12-27-16, 18:52
The mother of all GI bleeds. Gadzooks!

What the hell... Might as well quote Dave & see if he gets a bump in his email.
Although he's probably been holed up in his cabin for two years without internet.

Lucky guy.

SeriousStudent
12-27-16, 19:39
Very cool, the warning paid off. A very large tip of the Stetson to everyone involved!

And yeah, I really miss montanadave. I hope he's okay, he was having a bunch of health problems the last time we talked.

KUSA
12-28-16, 00:15
I cut a 2 inch diameter tree branch and use it to scrape the grill.

Hmac
12-28-16, 08:52
I confess that I use a stainless steel grill brush. I do always wipe it down with vegetable oil-soaked paper towels though. My preference for thorough cleaning has been a grill brick. Those work great.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=griddle+cleaning+block&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=110702759098&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=918518011255236178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020135&hvtargid=kwd-23232488260&ref=pd_sl_5hezjk2o5o_b_p13

Sam
12-28-16, 09:46
Rough time to get wifed up - she's the hottest Asian girl I've ever met in my life and I was born with yellow fever like a ************.

Any picture? LOL

nova3930
12-28-16, 10:26

I've used those but they suck for anything but flat square grates. I've taken to using one of these after the grill cools.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Clean-Nylon-Bristle-Grill/dp/B00IJ3C28I/ref=sr_1_18?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1482942293&sr=1-18&keywords=weber+grill+brush

Bristles are similar to those abrasive nylon drill discs you can get for cleaning metal. Then next go round, burn off whatever is left during preheat and wipe off with oil for non-stick.

cbx
12-28-16, 12:06
Gainfully employed, hot, and now she knows you're a man who can look after her. Capitalize on this if possible, getting wifed up is no bad thing if it's the right girl. At the very least once her throat is healed up.....
Problem Euro driver has its that he's already sowed seed elsewhere...... Bun be in the oven if you will.

You wait Euro, once your a married man, you'll get hit on about 5000% more. It's a horrible dichotomy..... About a year ago I had a smoking hot early twenties year old flat walk up to me at the bar. Here I am, still in ****ing work clothes. Having a beer with friend. She flat says, I want you to go home with me tonight.........Ummmm.....,.****.... I would, but, my pregnant wife wouldn't approve.....

That's only one story, of many. Back in the day, I couldn't get laid in a monkey whore house with a fist full of banana. Now, the female anatomy gets flung at me like it rode in on a trebuchet...... It's horrible..... Pisses me off quite frankly.

You wait Euro, you just wait..... It gets worse. So much worse. Wait until you mention a wife, then they say "so?"........ FML..........

chuckman
12-28-16, 12:43
Problem Euro driver has its that he's already sowed seed elsewhere...... Bun be in the oven if you will.

You wait Euro, once your a married man, you'll get hit on about 5000% more. It's a horrible dichotomy..... About a year ago I had a smoking hot early twenties year old flat walk up to me at the bar. Here I am, still in ****ing work clothes. Having a beer with friend. She flat says, I want you to go home with me tonight.........Ummmm.....,.****.... I would, but, my pregnant wife wouldn't approve.....

That's only one story, of many. Back in the day, I couldn't get laid in a monkey whore house with a fist full of banana. Now, the female anatomy gets flung at me like it rode in on a trebuchet...... It's horrible..... Pisses me off quite frankly.

You wait Euro, you just wait..... It gets worse. So much worse. Wait until you mention a wife, then they say "so?"........ FML..........

And young and with a baby in the park?? Like having a puppy, but better. But being close to 50 with kids in the park? Different story....

Use that youth while you can.....

cbx
12-28-16, 13:37
And young and with a baby in the park?? Like having a puppy, but better. But being close to 50 with kids in the park? Different story....

Went on a trip one time with people we knew. They brought other friends.

We get there and I do my usual. I like kids. I like talking to them. Fact I'm not really sure that I ever grew up. Anyway, the most hottest mom there sees me being cool to her kids. Very very solid 9.2. Fit as can be. Won't leave me alone after that. Just talk talk talk to me non stop. I Help the other ladies with their kids, cause the husband's are grumpy and just want to sit in the car while we see the sights.

Later it's dinner time. I go sit with the kids since I got there last and other seats were taken. No biggie. "Hey come sit with us. You don't have to sit with the kids." I'm like naw I'm good. I Had a ball. Good times talking to a table of 4 though 7 year olds for an hour.

Next day milfus Maximus won't leave me the **** alone. Some how tracks down my ****ing phone number and starts texting. Sending photos.... All kinds of chit..... That went on for a damn near a week.....

The more you ignore them the worse it gets.... Such crap. Where the **** were all these women one upon a time? It's like it's a god damn game to women. A sick twisted game. One that sends a guy home with blue balls. I'm married. Can't ya see that? ****! (Throws breakfast plate against the wall in Jack Nicholson anger management style......)

williejc
01-02-17, 19:18
They always want money--maybe not upfront. Nobody can keep a secret either, and some will call the house anyway.

Koshinn
01-02-17, 23:22
(Because only homeless people call 911)

I must admit, I laughed.

ramairthree
01-03-17, 10:08

Same age.
I guess you just don't have it anymore.

Now that kids are grown and away I am doing puppies again and it's like I am 21 again.

Age range a little different.

It seems they think I am about 35.

So the interest from early twenty somethings is usually from the ones with daddy issues.

The women that think we are the same age that have not had kids yet though,
God,
The black hole of want and neediness for a decent looking guy their age that is not a loser is huge.
Seriously, when you make eye contact you can just about feel your souls being sucked for.

Averageman
01-03-17, 12:52
There is something to be said for being single and in your fifties. It's a whole new ballgame and all of the old rules apply, there are a few new ones you have to learn though.
There is a certain needy, clingy, desperation that is pretty damned scary.
Never, ever allow something to be left at your house by her, nothing...

Back on topic. I'm bringing the whole mess in tonight for a good cleaning and looking for a better brush. That's really messed up.

chuckman
01-03-17, 12:59
Same age.
I guess you just don't have it anymore.

Now that kids are grown and away I am doing puppies again and it's like I am 21 again.

Age range a little different.

It seems they think I am about 35.

So the interest from early twenty somethings is usually from the ones with daddy issues.

The women that think we are the same age that have not had kids yet though,
God,
The black hole of want and neediness for a decent looking guy their age that is not a loser is huge.
Seriously, when you make eye contact you can just about feel your souls being sucked for.

I am a nurse, a man in a woman's world. The new grads are young enough to be my daughter; half of them are looking for a Mrs. degree. Almost every single one reminds me I am older than their dad. The older, divorced ones older than maybe 35 or so do get overly friendly from time to time. There is no market for men in the hospital at that age.

Before I got married, before I was a nurse and was still a paramedic, I took advantage of the cougars that roamed the hospitals.....

ramairthree
01-03-17, 13:24
Just messing with you about not having it.

For me,

I am the one reminding the twenty somethings with daddy issues I am about 50, old enough to be their Dad, and am married. They think I am in my 30s, old, but not icky old I guess. Probably won't last much longer. I need reading glasses now and the grays will come. Esteem problems and financial worries and various other personality traits still keep them trying. They are trying for that princess life before their looks go or they have a kid, the pie slice of desireable guys willing to eat raising somebody else's kids is a fraction of what it is for those without kids.

The ones with kids and no husbands or a divorce under their belt in their 30s have the look in their eye of the three legged pitbull with bowel continence issues in the cage at the pound. That dog knows the chance of anybody wanting to adopt them is slim.

The mid thirties ones that are good looking, professionals, and no husbands, with no kids yet see me,
Especially with kids or puppies,
And I could get in a lot of trouble.
Professional, highly paid, BTDT bad boy vibe, but responsible and mature,
With their biological clock ticking,
You can feel their sense of desperation and impending despair, as the time for a story book marriage and kids is shortening.
Keep in mind a lot of these professional women of that age have a lot of the stripper head issues I was noting above,
But they channeled it into work and achievement.
The number of guys without bald spots, beer bellies, and grays is also going down for them.
They have seen a ton of their friend under marry and end up not that great by this point.

You work in the right environment to see the dynamic.

You could probably write a book on it.

cbx
01-03-17, 17:20
I just spit beer reading the 3 legged pitbull comment........Too funny.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

williejc
01-03-17, 17:36
Nobody has mentioned baggage in this girl conversation like debt, rage from a string of failed romances, being a loony tune, and a mother that lives wherever she lives.