PDA

View Full Version : H&K VP9 or Sig M11-A1???

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 19:24
If both guns where the same price, what would you buy and why?? Need a little help deciding between them. Thanks!!

Henchman
08-28-14, 20:17
I'd take a chance on the HK. I have a Sig MK 25 that's been flawless but my thumb hates the slide release.

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 20:28
Yea I loved my P30 and 229 elite I have previously owned. Just wish the VP9 had more of an aftermarket selection.

jpmuscle
08-28-14, 20:30
Yea I loved my P30 and 229 elite I have previously owned. Just wish the VP9 had more of an aftermarket selection.
??? It just came out lol

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 20:35
True but the P30 has been out a while and the aftermarket never took off really. Perhaps the VP9s will, that isn't what would stop me from buying the pistol, more of just a statement.

scooter22
08-28-14, 20:40
True but the P30 has been out a while and the aftermarket never took off really. Perhaps the VP9s will, that isn't what would stop me from buying the pistol, more of just a statement.

What aftermarket support are you looking for? Sights and holsters are all you need.

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 20:50
That's pretty much all you need yes, but IMO the 229 has more options for sights and holsters than the P30. Perhaps the VP9 will boom with its price range. I was more asking about the firearm themselves.

MountainRaven
08-28-14, 20:51
Between those two?

I'd take the H&K.

(And I own both an H&K - but not that one - and a SiG - but not that one.)

cwgibson
08-28-14, 20:56
It's somewhat of an apple to oranges comparison IMO; striker vs sa/da. Between the two I would say sig. I have a 228 and I love it as a carry piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wildcard600
08-28-14, 21:03
USP ;)

But between those two I would take the HK just because of the bad reports I've been seeing on Sig's QC the last few years.

JMO

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-28-14, 21:08
Unless there has been a MIRACULOUS turn around in Sig Qc in the past few months you should pick the VP9.

And as far as aftermarket, I have never seen a new pistol design get so much support so quick. You can already buy (1)sights, (2) holsters, (3) Extended mags, and (4) threaded barrels--and were are only at the two month mark.

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 21:13
Yea I have been hearing bad things about some of the newer Sigs. I owned older models so fishing to see if the rumors about the new ones are still true. Thanks for the input guys!

cwgibson
08-28-14, 21:16
Unless there has been a MIRACULOUS turn around in Sig Qc in the past few months you should pick the VP9.

And as far as aftermarket, I have never seen a new pistol design get so much support so quick. You can already buy (1)sights, (2) holsters, (3) Extended mags, and (4) threaded barrels--and were are only at the two month mark.

Most of that is because it used the same as the p30.

cwgibson
08-28-14, 21:20
Yea I have been hearing bad things about some of the newer Sigs. I owned older models so fishing to see if the rumors about the new ones are still true. Thanks for the input guys!

For the most part I believe sig QC has improved over the years. I hear of more problems with their smaller pistols like the p938's etc. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 226, 229, m11 a1 etc. I'm on the sig forum pretty often and this seems to be the trend.

Sensei
08-28-14, 21:30
These are 2 very different pistols. Both are high quality and fill their particular niche. However, I'd say that a W. German P228 is a better choice in compact 9mm DA/SA platform than the M11A1. First decide what you need, then pick the tool.

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 21:49
I don't need either one as I have both striker fire and DA/SA pistols. My EDC role is already good to go, so this is more of a "just buying another pistol." Been a wile since I have bought a HK or Sig so just seeing a broad opinion is all.

Trajan
08-28-14, 21:54
My advice is training and ammo if your tool requirement is fulfilled.

acaixguard
08-28-14, 21:54
Without question, the HK wins hands down.

Reputable QC vs QC that took a nosedive in the last decade.

YVK
08-28-14, 21:57
Based on a number of first hand reports form people I know and trust, I wouldn't hesitate that much in picking a current production P-series SIG if that was the type of a gun I needed. I do carry a 228, but only because it is what I got in a trade.

If you ever considered an appendix carry, I would go SIG. If you want a little bit of a training challenge with DA/SA, I'd go SIG as well. If you want laser grips, SIG, although they do make it fat. SIG mags are cheaper and more available.
HK is probably easier to shoot, and is likely more adaptable to different hand sizes.

p8ntball4dummies
08-28-14, 21:57
My advice is training and ammo if your tool requirement is fulfilled.

Doing plenty of that, just doing it with the same weapons. Time to start the collection up again.

DreadPirateMoyer
08-28-14, 22:26
Most of that is because it used the same as the p30.

Only some of the sights (a bunch of new ones came out with the VP9) and the extended magazines. The holsters and barrels didn't come from the P30.

Indeed, most of the VP9 goodies listed in the post you quoted are fresh to market. The industry and consumers are really jumping at this gun.

Talon167
08-29-14, 05:09
For me the deciding factor would be do you want DA/SA or DAO.

Alpha Sierra
08-29-14, 06:49
For me the deciding factor would be do you want DA/SA or DAO.

If you want DA/SA there are far better choices than SIG in the ergonomic and quality departments

ldunnmobile
08-29-14, 06:50
My primary is a M11-a1 with 2k rounds through it. No issues. Sig is making these right.

MoCop
08-29-14, 06:57
I've carried a Sig P229 for 7 years and have had zero problems. Never could warm up to the Hk's. So I would say pick the Sig.

skipper49
08-29-14, 12:55
While I've already got an M11A1 and like it a lot, I also like the VP9, and will probably wind up with one of those also. Take a look at some of the very recent comments by Bruce Gray from Gray Guns, concerning SIG's current QC. That should really put to rest any concerns about the issue, regardless of past problems. Every man will have to decide for himself.

Skip

Beat Trash
08-29-14, 13:05
I sold off my German made Sig 228 to pay for my VP9.

I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I liked the 228, until I shot it. I could shoot much better with a Beretta 92fs than with my 228.

The more time I spend shooting my VP9, the more impressed I am with it.

RAM Engineer
08-29-14, 15:05
Take a look at some of the very recent comments by Bruce Gray from Gray Guns, concerning SIG's current QC. That should really put to rest any concerns about the issue, regardless of past problems.

Where might we find those comments?

walker2713
08-29-14, 15:16
Apples and oranges.....but I'd take the HK anyway!!:cool:

skipper49
08-29-14, 17:18
Where might we find those comments?

You can find him at Gray Guns. He's a master pistolsmith, and a fine gentleman. Best place to find his most current discussion is a long thread over at the SIG forum.
Btw, he also is already working on mods for the VP9, so he's not "SIG specific."

Skip

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-29-14, 18:20
Bruce is a badass. He used to make and compete with long slide P7s

JHC
08-30-14, 09:01
While I've already got an M11A1 and like it a lot, I also like the VP9, and will probably wind up with one of those also. Take a look at some of the very recent comments by Bruce Gray from Gray Guns, concerning SIG's current QC. That should really put to rest any concerns about the issue, regardless of past problems. Every man will have to decide for himself.

Skip

Bill Reihl found pretty much the same going over a few new Sigs this year.

togjr9
08-30-14, 10:08
Save some money and buy both. I own Sig's & HK's, and currently considering buying these two pistols as well. More than likely I'll figure a way to get them both.

bowietx
08-30-14, 13:01
Both choices are top quality pistols. I have carried an M11 I enjoyed very much and had complete confidence in despite many of the recent comments regarding Sig's QC. In fact to this point my Sigs are without a single failure and guns that I will not par with no matter the zeitgeist of the shooting industry. With that said I recently picked up the VP9 and will be getting another one soon. The VP9 to me finds itself on rare ground as perhaps the finest of the polymer striker fired pistols. To this point it is as accurate as you can possibly want, possesses a great trigger and great ergonomics.

P228/M11
-Reliable
-Great trigger
-slightly heavier than most carry weapons
-requires additional training to maintain familiarity with DA/SA trigger
-costs more than other options
-well built
-great customer service
-plenty of aftermarket support

VP9
-great trigger
-reasonable cost
-accurate
-ergonomic
-great factory sights
-lack of aftermarket components (will be fixed over time)

Edge and my pick: VP9

gtmtnbiker98
08-30-14, 13:56
Bill Reihl found pretty much the same going over a few new Sigs this year.Doesn't he specialize in CZ refinishing?

Sensei
08-30-14, 15:26

I liked the 228, until I shot it. I could shoot much better with a Beretta 92fs than with my 228.

Jeez, there not much in this world that could separate me from a W. German P228. In 10 years those will be like hen's teeth. However, your loss is another's gain. I would take a like new W. German P228 (or limited edition P228R) over a VP9 any day of the week.

Anyway, I would not equate the P228 and the M11A. They are different enough in terms of weight distribution and balance that an experienced shooter will immediately notice a difference.

YVK
08-30-14, 15:46
Doesn't he specialize in CZ refinishing?

:D:D:D

JHC
08-30-14, 16:20
Doesn't he specialize in CZ refinishing?

O . . . M . . . G

cwgibson
08-30-14, 17:25

Ha, I traded the vp9 for a 228r lol.

gtmtnbiker98
08-30-14, 18:01
O . . . M . . . G
Figured you'd get it! :)

Beat Trash
08-30-14, 19:28
I never said I made an even swap of my 228 for a new VP9. I used SOME of the money from the sale of the 228 to buy a new VP9.

The best thing the OP could do would be to try and shoot both guns. Buy the one YOU shoot the best. When I realized I hadn't shot the 228 in over 5 years, it was time to let it go. Personally, I don't regret buying the VP9. The M11A1 is a good pistol. So is the VP9. But they are different enough that if deciding between those two choices, one should really shoot both before making the decision.

mysak
08-30-14, 22:53
I am not a fan of DA/SA so my vote is for VP9 just picked mine up and so far I am satisfied. My Sig sits in the safe I haven't shot it in almost a year.

HKGuns
08-31-14, 06:25
I'll jump in here and throw you a curve ball.

I would substitute the MK25 for the M11, if for no other reason than the MK25 has a rail and the M11 doesn't. All else being equal, the barrel length is the biggest difference between the two as I recall and I felt the larger MK25 would carry just as easily.

I fondled them side by side at the LGS and walked away with the MK25 FDE as pictured below. The MK25 was the better pistol, in my hands by a small margin.

I think your comparison is a bit apples and oranges, however, the correct answer is get BOTH.

ETA: The grip on the SIG is really very large. So be sure you can manage the large grip and still operate the controls.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v152/p24407119-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v135/p197116466-5.jpg

Brianb23
08-31-14, 09:59
High bore axis vs low bore axis

Aluminum frame vs polymer frame

Da/SA decocker vs striker

32oz. Vs 25oz.

Large grip frame vs customizable grip frame

HK wins all around.

Pilot1
08-31-14, 13:53
My P228 (W. German, triple serial number) pretty much sits in the safe these days. Good, reliable pistol, but long replaced by CZ's for carry. However, this new VP9 looks like a winner, and that is what I would go with if I had to choose between the two.

DBZ220
08-31-14, 15:01
I got the chance to put 400rnds thru a friends VP9 this week. Loved the trigger but I hate the feel of the handle much the same as I hated my P30. It seems like a solid pistol, but for me, I'll stick with my SIGs and USPs.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-31-14, 16:06
A man who prefers the USP grip to the P-30/Vp9 must have a hand like an action figure!:neo:

DBZ220
08-31-14, 19:06
A man who prefers the USP grip to the P-30/Vp9 must have a hand like an action figure!:neo:

Yep! I find the USP 45 near ideal feeling compared to the P30/VP9 handle setup.

YVK
08-31-14, 19:24
My P228 (W. German, triple serial number) pretty much sits in the safe these days. Good, reliable pistol, but long replaced by CZ's for carry.

Wanna discuss a trade for a double-custom (Automatic Accuracy + CGW) CZ P01?

Anyway, presented choice is really apples to oranges.

Pilot1
09-01-14, 06:02
Wanna discuss a trade for a double-custom (Automatic Accuracy + CGW) CZ P01?

Very tempting! :) I have my CZ Compacts covered right now with my 75D PCR, but the P-01's are also fantastic.

Anyway, presented choice is really apples to oranges.

That was my thought also. TDA, alloy frame vs. striker fired polymer framed. However, they are both still firearms, and we all need to make our choices. As I have said previously, I am not a fan of polymer, but the VP9 may change that. I just need to shoot one.