PDA

View Full Version : Keltec pf9

Reconinforce
08-29-14, 18:06
Just picked one up for fun.

Shot through 100 rounds o cheap tul ammo perfectly.

Shot about 8 inches high at 21 feet.

Any others have the same issue?

Trigger killed my finger but I will mod it to fix the issue.

shutup&shoot
08-29-14, 18:43
Had one, sold it. Mine shot POA and was reliable while I had it. Plain and simple just didn't trust my life to one.

Reconinforce
08-29-14, 19:25
Recoil is pretty darn snappy too. :)

Tempted to try out the glock 42 but need to give the keltec a fair chance first.

mattexass
08-29-14, 19:41
Had one, sold it. Mine shot POA and was reliable while I had it. Plain and simple just didn't trust my life to one.

I am going to echo shut shutup&shoot. I moved on to a pps and haven't lokked back

Stengun
08-29-14, 23:41
Howdy,

I have one. I use it when I cannot carry a real gun. I've run about 1,500 rounds through mine without a hiccup using everything from 115gr steel cased Tula to NATO spec 124gr JSP, Win 147gr JHP, to my crappy reloads.

I'm not a 9mm fan but for a pocket size pistol it's hard to beat.

Paul

Lincoln7
08-30-14, 03:23
If it's good enough for George Zimmerman, it's good enough for me. ;)

Seriously though, I agree with Stengun. I carry it when I can't carry a real handgun. Such as when wearing boardshorts...

williejc
08-30-14, 07:08
I've experimented with several PF-9 pistols that I owned and had one that I trusted but did not keep. The company will send you shims to raise the rear sight to correct your problem. Their customer support is excellent. Unfortunately, they get a lot of practice. With mine, I observed that almost all failures could be traced to the extractor. Installing two springs and slightly relieving metal from the extractor's inner side solved the problem. The extractor screw is notorious for getting loose. The two spring trick requires using a longer screw from the hardware store. Filing metal from the extractor to increase its bite should be tried first. Hopefully, your pistol will run. The Kel-Tec forum has useful info. Don't criticize the product too much if you wish to be loved.

NC_DAVE
08-30-14, 08:00
Had one and it got sent back to the factory in the first 500 rounds. They fixed for free never told me what was wrong. I didn't feel like I could trust after that so I sold it. You get what you pay for.

Reconinforce
08-31-14, 06:14
Gun runs great. Just shooting high. Shims won't help as it just makes it shoot higher. Would need a higher front sight. They told me to send it in. Going to try different ammo and another shooter before sending in.

shutup&shoot
08-31-14, 13:54
Howdy,

I have one. I use it when I cannot carry a real gun.

Paul

When you need it you may have wished you brought a real gun.

Lincoln7
08-31-14, 14:11
When you need it you may have wished you brought a real gun.

No one is arguing that this is a great carry option or that it has a good track record. I hope no one would argue that having no gun is better than having a gun.

I use it when I cannot carry a real gun.

shutup&shoot
08-31-14, 14:16
No one is arguing that this is a great carry option or that it has a good track record. I hope no one would argue that having no gun is better than having a gun.

Yes it is better than nothing, but there are better lightweight options. Remember, I bought one too. Trying to save others from my mistake.

RWCRaiden
08-31-14, 14:50
Never owned one, but shot one. Did not like it. Wasn't all that accurate, the recoil was snappy, and the trigger was horrible. Terrible trigger slap on the one I shot. I also wouldn't trust my life to one.

Sixgunner
09-07-14, 16:25
I had one and sold it. I shot it a lot and just couldn't get used to it.

ROTAM
09-14-14, 15:29
I have read that these do shoot high. Some have filed on the sights and others have added shims to correct this problem.

I like the idea of the PF9, but feel improvements need to be made to make it more reliable. Also, the trigger sucks. Kel Tec could easily make improvements to make the pistol better.

HKGuns
09-14-14, 17:54
I have shot one of my buddies PF9's and the thing very nearly jumped right out of my hand. I really didn't care for how it shot one bit.

ETA: I shoot 44 Mag revolvers all day long without issue, for a point of reference.

payj
09-14-14, 23:48
I had one and sold it. It was not reliable.

Fordtough25
09-15-14, 05:43
My PF9 is a pretty decent shooter, I must be one of the lucky ones. My only dislike is also the physical trigger itself, well the bottom of it. It has a rather sharp spot on the bottom that can rub my finger, I need to just make it go away. Shoots great though, a little high but not real bad. Has eaten any ammo I have fed it so far.

ROTAM
09-15-14, 20:21
My PF9 is a pretty decent shooter, I must be one of the lucky ones. My only dislike is also the physical trigger itself, well the bottom of it. It has a rather sharp spot on the bottom that can rub my finger, I need to just make it go away. Shoots great though, a little high but not real bad. Has eaten any ammo I have fed it so far.

You can lightly file on the sharp spot to make it smooth. Seems like all the Kel Tecs need a little filing on them. I think the triggers feel weak like they will break. I wish they woild make them out of a stronger polymer.

Chiral
09-16-14, 07:45
Had one. Used it as a belly gun for about a year. Hated shooting it though. Harsh snappy recoil and awful trigger. Sold it off to purchase a LCR 38 snubby which fit my desired role better.

Fordtough25
09-16-14, 08:33
You can lightly file on the sharp spot to make it smooth. Seems like all the Kel Tecs need a little filing on them. I think the triggers feel weak like they will break. I wish they woild make them out of a stronger polymer.

Thanks for the tip! it doesn't feel near as nice as my Glock or Sig no, but I shoot the snot out of it whenever I can to make sure it will hold up. And it hasn't let me down yet, I was hesitant to get it but I have had the J frames and what not and I don't care for them. I wanted to but I just didn't like them.