PDA

View Full Version : regular receiver or the mur is best

skt4271
08-30-14, 09:17
I'm building a 300blk URG, I have a noveske receiver, but wondering if I should just spend the money and but the noveske mur instead. Is the mur that much better, or is it a looks cooler kinda thing?

Zim
08-30-14, 09:58
Get the VLTOR MUR instead of the Noveske. The standard MUR has relief cuts for compatibility with anti-rotational tabs found on many handguards, while the Noveske version does not. The tolerances are held very tight on the MUR, and the thicker walls lead to greater rigidity. Whether it's worth it to you or not is a question only you can answer.

bzdog
08-30-14, 10:57
Although the Noveske MUR prob has the pin hole for the NRS handguard, assuming it is a newer sample.

-john

TehLlama
08-30-14, 11:49
If you already have a forged Noveske, absolutely run that. I have a trio of MUR's, but the only ones I'm happy with are ones I put on precision builds - anything else they're extra heavy, create compatibility issues with offset iron sights, and mostly are just added cost for no noticeable performance difference (just look awesome). If the upper looking cooler matters to you enough, the decision is already made - for me the awesome appearance and performance delta only fits on two uppers.

rjacobs
08-30-14, 12:30
I would probably just run the Noveske since you already have it and they tolerance check very closely. The other standard forged I like are the newer BCM's since they are also holding tolerances very tight. Then the MUR. I suggest the MUR's on the precision upper's I build for customers, but most everything else the BCM's are my go to since they arent really much more expensive than anything else. If a guy wants to go bare bones I go with Rainier, Aero or Mega and run a quick lapping tool pass on the barrel to receiver junction. Mega makes Rainier and Aero has been good for me so far(their early 2013 business "practices" not withstanding).

will_be
08-30-14, 12:40
I had a non-Noveske MUR that I was going to mate to a Noveske Gen II lower for a recce build. It did not mate well, very tight at the take down pin interface. Went with a BCM M4 upper instead that was a much better fit. Sample of one, YMMV and all that.

steyrman13
08-30-14, 12:41
If you are concerned about extra strength, check out this thread about surviving a kaboom https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?134595-SBR-Kaboom! and this one https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?150003-VLTOR-MUR-amp-Upper-Flex-tests minus Wacki's posts

The weight difference as mention by a few in the linked threads are negligible and also in the rear where weight is not as noticeable.

Koshinn
08-30-14, 13:54
Although the Noveske MUR prob has the pin hole for the NRS handguard, assuming it is a newer sample.

-john

All Noveske MURs that I've seen have the pin hole for the NSR because it's the same pin hole they used on their old Noveske branded SWS rails.

ROG Tactical
08-31-14, 20:24
I had a customer who accidentally shot 300BLK out of his 5.56 Noveske. He ended up with a kaboom and the MUR stayed intact. The carrier split inside the receiver and all the energy funneled down through the magwell. Looking from the side, you would think nothing happened to the receiver. However, once you get close, you can see the bulge in the sidewalls.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/01/5ery7upe.jpg

The VLTOR MUR is much cheaper and easier to get than the Noveske MUR. You cannot go wrong with either, unless you plan on going with a rail other than the NSR, KMR, or similar...in which case, you will want the VLTOR MUR.

skt4271
08-31-14, 20:33
Wow, I bet he pissed his pants. I would have.

will_be
08-31-14, 21:07
Wow! How is that even possible? Will a 300blk cartridge go far enough into battery to fire in a 5.56 chamber?

ROG Tactical
08-31-14, 22:21
Wow! How is that even possible? Will a 300blk cartridge go far enough into battery to fire in a 5.56 chamber?

From his account, he pretty much forced the bcg forward, causing the bullet to sink into the case, which made him think the round was chambered and good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MorphCross
08-31-14, 23:22

It shouldn't with most .30 cal bullets, It can with others. I use different mags for .300 vs. 5.56/.223. I also use an MUR upper on my .300, however I use it for additional reasons vs. the more practical.

chasetopher
08-31-14, 23:33
Of the features/benefits surrounding the blackout cartridge, bench-rest accuracy is not at the top of the list.
As nice as the Noveske/VLTOR MUR is or appears to be, I see no reason to go that route for .300 blk. unless there is just a "want", not that there's anything wrong with that.
In my opinion the an accurized application is the only place where the added expense could potentially show some (limited) benefit, especially as most ARs are not shot bagged off of a bench.

I do love my MUR, but am not convinced there is any measurable improvement over a standard upper.

will_be
09-01-14, 03:28
Yes, I can see that having different, readily identifiable mags for the two calibers would be key to preventing a catastrophic mishap. Back to the OP, I can't see where a MUR upper would hold an advantage over another properly machined, in spec upper given the properties of 300k. Besides the aforementioned potential protection from a catastrophic failure, that is. They sure are asthetically pleasing though.

ROG Tactical
09-03-14, 18:33
...In my opinion the an accurized application is the only place where the added expense could potentially show some (limited) benefit, especially as most ARs are not shot bagged off of a bench.

I do love my MUR, but am not convinced there is any measurable improvement over a standard upper.

Between the example I gave a few posts up and IG's example, I would say the strength of a MUR, is a clear improvement over a standard upper. Now, to answer the OP's specific question, the MUR is stronger and it is not just for looks. Heck, some people find the MUR fugly. The OP would have to determine if the greater strength is worth the extra cost to him. Not everyone is willing to pay more for added strength.

skt4271
09-03-14, 18:40
I think it looks absolute badass, but I already have one. But since I really won't be shooting much of the 300, I was wondering if I should add more cost to my build. Here's the two I have now.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/skt4271/Mobile%20Uploads/20140706_144236_zps4tiemqyq.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/skt4271/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140706_144236_zps4tiemqyq.jpg.html)

ROG Tactical
09-03-14, 18:49
I think it looks absolute badass, but I already have one. But since I really won't be shooting much of the 300, I was wondering if I should add more cost to my build. Here's the two I have now.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/skt4271/Mobile%20Uploads/20140706_144236_zps4tiemqyq.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/skt4271/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140706_144236_zps4tiemqyq.jpg.html)

Awesome pair! My suggestion would be to go with the one that gives you a bigger smile :)