PDA

View Full Version : Best "GI style" 1911 mags?

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-15-08, 21:00
Guys,

Who makes the best 7 round GI type mags? I seem to have NO luck with the fancy schmancy 8 round mags from Tripp and Wilson. I always have great performance from a bunch of old Springfield GI syle 7 rounders. I want to stock up, where do I get the best 7 round GI mags?

GHB

evilmonkey
06-15-08, 21:22
the colt GI mags work really well and also the Wilson and Chip McCormick seven rounders work well! I dont trust 8 rounders except at matches but these 7 rounders work well for me for self defense

Business_Casual
06-15-08, 21:26
http://www.ammoman.com has what appear to be GI mags - new in wrappper - for sale. I have a few of them and they work. I had good luck with Colt mags as well.

M_P

PS - I hardly ever shoot a 1911 anymore, so FWIW

HolyRoller
06-15-08, 21:36
What has worked for me is:

Get Chip McCormick (Shooting Star) 8-round mags.

Rip out the innards.

Replace with Tripp Industries springs and followers.

Now you have 7-round mags that will probably work. I have had maybe one stoppage in the last year with my Springfield TRP using these mags. I borrowed my shooting buddy's regular 8-rounders a couple weeks ago and got a stoppage within a few rounds.

Tripp, I think, is now making their own complete mags and these may be the way to go. For the latest and greatest, check www.10-8forums.com which has the best list of 1911 FAQs I've ever seen.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-15-08, 21:40
Holy,

I tried following the advice from the 10-8 forum. I have 2 trips 8 and 2 trips 7 round converted mags. Both of them introduced FTF issues that didn't exist with my 7 rounders or my ACT style mags. I would run the ACT mags, but the feed lips are too damn fragile. I found two with cracked feed lips today!!

I have had good luck with the McCormick mags though.

GHB

Lumpy196
06-15-08, 22:07
If you insist on GI "style," then go with Metalform.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-15-08, 22:11
Do you have any suggestions? I have tried...

1. wilson.
2. Tripp
3. McCormic
4. ACT (Nighthawk, Novak)
5 Kimber
6 colt

Out of them all, my 7 rounders run the best in my various 1911s. The McCormic mags and the ACT mags run nice too. The only problem with the Act mags is they insist on cracking at the rear of the feed lips.

Slater
06-15-08, 22:13
A lot of options there:

http://metalformcompany.thomasnet.com/viewitems/pistol-magazines/0-45-caliber?&forward=1

armakraut
06-16-08, 04:47
I've always had awesome luck with the mccormicks. The shooting star mags were better than any of the GI's I've used, smooth and reliable. A friend of mine bought the top of the line mccormick mags and they were the usual excellent quality too.

rob_s
06-16-08, 06:35
Another McCormick user here, I only use the Powermags. I shoot LSWC ammo almost exclusively as well which has been known to cause feeding issues in guns/mags that will run ball without a problem.

So far, the three Wilson Elite magazines I have are giving me no issues whatsoever either.

IMHO, a gun that won't run an 8 round mag is a problem gun. Doubly so if it won't run on one of the newer long-body 8 rounders like the Wilson Elite, Novaks, or Tripps. I see no reason whatsoever that a 1911 should be so magazine sensitive. Both my Yobo 1* and Brown SF (as well as the Wilson CQB and two Kimbers I have since sold) run on whatever brand I feed them. I have come across a few samples that don't want to work, but I attribute that to it being a bad magazine and just chuck it. You do have to keep on top of your mag springs and change them out when they get too short, but other than that they should run just fine.

SingleStacker45
06-16-08, 06:35
You should probably get some reliability work done to your gun. Try sending it to EGW. Those guys are great to work with and very resonable price wise. Your gun shoud run on any of the mags you listed. Also, I'm assuming you tried different ammo.

Mule

Bob Reed
06-16-08, 06:43
Hello,

Check-Mate Industries makes mags for Colt. Any Genuine ColtŪ mag that has a "C" stamped on the base came from Check-Mate and they offer a true GI mag w/fully tapered-lips & dimpled follower. It's Part No. CM45-7-B-GI for Blued, and Part No. CM45-7-S-GI for Stainless. http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

Metalform also makes mags for Colt, there the ones that have a "M" stamped on the base.

Sam
06-16-08, 07:49
Greg:
I think you said you're taking the Vickers 1911 operator class at the end of this month. If so, that is the best time to get Larry to diagnose your magazines and feeding issue.

An easier way to fix this problem is to send me all of your 1911s and I'll shoot them a few years and work out the bugs for you, I won't charge you anything. I'm sure my Wilson magazines will work.

ralph
06-16-08, 18:52
What about Meggar's Has anybody used their 1911 mags? I see CDNN has a pretty good price on them...

dwhitehorne
06-17-08, 09:33
I had a Charles Daly EMS that came with 2 Mecgars. They worked fine and looked exactly like the ACT/Novak mags I have. David

BUBBAGUNS
06-17-08, 13:51
If you insist on GI "style," then go with Metalform.

+ 1, I bought some metalforms at a gun show a few years ago. Never had a problem with them.

:)

Frens
06-18-08, 13:32
got some MecGar 7rnd mags from Midsouthshooter.com
finish looks really nice and have been 200% reliable with my SA MilSpec.

I also got a couple of cheap mags from Sherluk.com but I dont know the manufacturer of those. They look like USGI mags and have been reliable so far. Nice mags for 7$.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-18-08, 23:10
Italy rocks!:D

HolyRoller
06-19-08, 09:07
Holy,

I tried following the advice from the 10-8 forum. I have 2 trips 8 and 2 trips 7 round converted mags. Both of them introduced FTF issues that didn't exist with my 7 rounders or my ACT style mags. I would run the ACT mags, but the feed lips are too damn fragile. I found two with cracked feed lips today!!

I have had good luck with the McCormick mags though.

GHB
Oh. Now I'm glad that I said it worked for ME! My TRP was gently used when I got it, and it still had the two factory mags. One of them didn't drop free, which I thought must mean something bad, but didn't know what it was. Only after I saw the picture of the cracked feedlip base (if that's the right term) at 10-8 did I check my mag and that's what it was. In the trash it went.

If you're taking LAV's 1911 Operator class, I'm sure he'll set your gun straight.

OD*
06-30-08, 11:07
Guys,

Who makes the best 7 round GI type mags? I seem to have NO luck with the fancy schmancy 8 round mags from Tripp and Wilson. I always have great performance from a bunch of old Springfield GI syle 7 rounders. I want to stock up, where do I get the best 7 round GI mags?

GHB
Greg,

If you read through this thread, you'll find a great deal of information on 1911 magazines (and some to stay away from).
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=28256

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-30-08, 19:32
Thanks!

I ran my Novak's Colt through the 1911 class, but it will run with any mags. Larry looked at my GSP (which is the gun that was picky) and gave me some pointers.

It is sad that the ACT mags are still on the market. They really are POS in my opinion. I have about 10, and FOUR already have cracked feed lips. Jesus.

OD*
06-30-08, 21:43
You're most welcome, Sir.

USG
07-08-08, 22:57
Checkmate Industries is the actual manufacturer of Colt magazines, and several other brands, including USGI M9 magazines. They were also a government contractor for ml-spec USGI 1911 magazines. They make the exact magazine in blue or stainless. I have run them extensively for years and they are excellent, true JMB design mags.

They also manufacture the Colt 8-rd mag, and sell their own brand of it, without the Colt logo.

Finally, they have a new enhanced 8-rd magazine which addresses many of the issues with 8-rd magazines and are currently being tested by a number of agencies. All metal follower with JMB-endorsed dimple, stainless construction mag tube, and skirted polymer basepad of a material that does not easily crack when dropped. I just picked up a dozen of them and will be shooting them up over the next few weeks.

But the 7-rd USGI are the best of that genre, and made completely in the USA.

http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

OD*
07-08-08, 23:00
Checkmate Industries is one of manufacturers for Colt's magazines. They also get them from MetalForm and OK Industries.

Alaskapopo
07-09-08, 04:58
Guys,

GHB
Have you tried Wilsons new ETM magazine. It is the only 8 round 1911 mag I really trust. They work good in both of my 45 1911's. (Wilson and Kimber Series 1) If not try Wilson 7 round mags.
Pat

Alaskapopo
07-09-08, 05:03
What has worked for me is:

Get Chip McCormick (Shooting Star) 8-round mags.

Rip out the innards.

Replace with Tripp Industries springs and followers.

Now you have 7-round mags that will probably work. I have had maybe one stoppage in the last year with my Springfield TRP using these mags. I borrowed my shooting buddy's regular 8-rounders a couple weeks ago and got a stoppage within a few rounds.

Tripp, I think, is now making their own complete mags and these may be the way to go. For the latest and greatest, check www.10-8forums.com which has the best list of 1911 FAQs I've ever seen.

That is a good 7 round mag that Hilton Yam recommends.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/10-8mag2.jpg

I used them up until I was done testing the new Wilson ETM mags. Which I like better.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Wilsonmag.jpg