PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have 2?

mysak
08-30-14, 22:45
I don't know how familiar everyone is with California gun laws but they passed a law that does away with the single shot exemption which is how us Californians were buying hand guns that are not on the "Approved California Hand Gun Roster". We can only purchase one hand gun every 30 days and I just picked up a VP9. So I have only three handguns left I can register to myself I have the Timberwolf frame waiting for me so that narrows me down to two after that. These are the two guns I am sort of thinking of a HK P7 and another HK VP9 (I want to stipple the one I just received and I will be carrying it) or a HK USP expert or something else?

haiedras
08-31-14, 03:13
VP9, CZ P07 or P09/Sphinx. P7 is CDI, but not worth it in parts support in the long run.

Beat Trash
08-31-14, 08:53
Get a spare to the gun you plan on carrying.

Also, before you stipple away on your VP9, try it a bit like it is. With my M&P's, I feel some stippling is mandatory. With my VP9, I find the texture is sufficient as it comes form the factory.

mysak
08-31-14, 11:21
Never been a big fan of CZ, the Sphinx might be an option but I haven't handled one. I think the P30 texture is fine but so far I am on the fence with the VP9 texture. A spare VP9 does make sense though.

MistWolf
08-31-14, 12:00
In your case, I'd get a spare VP9 and if it's allowed and I didn't already have one, an AR pistol with the Sig arm brace

PatrioticDisorder
08-31-14, 12:09
If I could only have 2, HK VP9 & Walther PPS (for ccw). For your purposes I'd probably opt for a Vp9 as the most practical, however the P7 is a sweet gun to have as a collector.

samuse
08-31-14, 12:12
The P7 is a POS. expensive and complicated, but not really something worth having for actual usin'.

The Timberwolf frame is the same.

If you can comfortably conceal the VP9, then good. I'd add a J-frame and a 1911 in 45 for when you grow up.:p

mysak
08-31-14, 13:22
I have a Shield so that covers PPS territory, I have a Smith J-frame and 3 1911s. The Timberwolf frame is actually pretty nice I only have 700rds through it but when a buddy had one available I figured why not. So another VP9 is pretty much my conclusion for one I have always wanted a P7 but I have never even shot one and thats alot of cheese to spread on a want. AR pistol is a good idea also considering we can't do NFA 10.5 on a pistol build would be kinda sweet.

Pilot1
08-31-14, 13:58
The P7 is a POS. expensive and complicated, but not really something worth having for actual usin'.

I would beg to differ. While I carry a CZ daily, I often carry an HK P7 that I have owned, and shot for many years. It has never given me a problem, is very accurate, and reliable. I feel well armed when carrying the P7, plus it is a blast to shoot at the range. Mine gets shot a lot, and is no safe queen.

RWCRaiden
08-31-14, 14:53
You're limited to how many handguns you can have in CA? Seriously? I'm not familiar with their laws out there but that seems insane. I know they only let you have 10 rounds mags, and no AR's and what not.

mysak
08-31-14, 15:00
Not limited we have a "approved" handgun roster and next year we will not be able to get handguns that are not on said roster. We can have ARs but yes 10 rds in the mag.

RWCRaiden
08-31-14, 15:09
I do remember vaguely hearing about said list, and I think if memory serves, Glock and S&W aren't changing the manufacturing to be compliant with the new law. I feel bad for you living in that oppressive of a state with gun laws.

haiedras
08-31-14, 15:14
Retail sales from an FFL are limited to 1 handgun every 30 days. In addition, as mysak said, we have a Safe Handgun Roster, which is really a sham, since all new handguns are required to have microstamping, if you're LE, you're exempt from the roster, and something as simple as a design change from stamped to MIM parts is considered a significant alteration by the CA DOJ requiring re-testing and all current roster regulations are applied. That means if a gen3 g19 changes frame color, that's a new design, and requires microstamping. :P

teutonicpolymer
09-01-14, 10:01
HK VP9 and a nice 1911

RWCRaiden
09-01-14, 10:16
Retail sales from an FFL are limited to 1 handgun every 30 days. In addition, as mysak said, we have a Safe Handgun Roster, which is really a sham, since all new handguns are required to have microstamping, if you're LE, you're exempt from the roster, and something as simple as a design change from stamped to MIM parts is considered a significant alteration by the CA DOJ requiring re-testing and all current roster regulations are applied. That means if a gen3 g19 changes frame color, that's a new design, and requires microstamping. :P

That's pure stupidity. That's CA. You've got my deepest sympathy.

haiedras
09-01-14, 13:11
Lol, as someone once said, "Only in CA do firearms owners need to know the law like a lawyer, while the courts and LE do not." If we don't know the intricacies, it means getting arrested and spending time and money to fix it in court. But for the masses..."OMG, a gun!" and off you go. Kinda like being a DV spouse sometimes, we cheer when we get beat 4 times in the face instead of 5. :D

All things considered, better than MD and NY though. ;)

RWCRaiden
09-01-14, 13:48
Lol, as someone once said, "Only in CA do firearms owners need to know the law like a lawyer, while the courts and LE do not." If we don't know the intricacies, it means getting arrested and spending time and money to fix it in court. But for the masses..."OMG, a gun!" and off you go. Kinda like being a DV spouse sometimes, we cheer when we get beat 4 times in the face instead of 5. :D

All things considered, better than MD and NY though. ;)

That was a pretty great analogy. I lol'd.

TacticalMark
09-01-14, 13:52
In your case, I'd get a spare VP9 and if it's allowed and I didn't already have one, an AR pistol with the Sig arm brace
I would get a spare VP9 as well if its going to be you EDC.

FrankinCA
09-01-14, 16:10
If I could only have two, and one had to be an HK: P2000sk in 9mm.

The other pistol would either be a Sig P220 Carry or Colt Commander. Like you, I'm in CA and have to deal with asinine restrictions. Good luck.

Kokopelli
09-01-14, 16:32
You would be a two gun Charlie

RWCRaiden
09-01-14, 20:38

The other pistol would either be a Sig P220 Carry or Colt Commander. Like you, I'm in CA and have to deal with asinine restrictions. Good luck.

Another good option.

ffemt
09-01-14, 22:00
I'd like to have 2 non-CA MK25s :-)

mysak
09-02-14, 12:44
I have an old Colt Combat LW Commander don't shoot it much because of its age. I am not a big DA/SA fan but I can live HK cock/lock or light lem. I see non-ca MK25s all the time at my LGS.
The whole knowing the gun laws like an attorney is not a joke!

hatidua
09-04-14, 13:39
I don't know how familiar everyone is with California

30 years ago I was faced with several choices in California as well:

A) Leave via I-80
B) Leave via I-15
C) Leave via I-10

I chose option B.

As to your gun conundrum, flip a coin, there are fans of every pistol available, what I like probably wouldn't be what you would choose and vice versa.

Chiral
09-10-14, 08:41
Id recommend a vp9 and p30. Commonality of magazine and two diff operating systems: tda and striker fired. Share the same accessories as well such as holsters sights etc

mysak
09-30-14, 22:33
Here is the finished Timberwolf frame AKA FrankenGlock, so far so good! As far as last two I ordered a STI 2011 in 9mm I decided I wanted a play gun and a 9mm 1911 is always fun!
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u617/mysak86/FrankenGlock_zps4377b391.jpeg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/mysak86/media/FrankenGlock_zps4377b391.jpeg.html)

10-01-14, 09:10
30 years ago I was faced with several choices in California as well:

A) Leave via I-80
B) Leave via I-15
C) Leave via I-10

I chose option B.

As to your gun conundrum, flip a coin, there are fans of every pistol available, what I like probably wouldn't be what you would choose and vice versa.

Faced with the same options I choose option A as it was the most direct from the Bay Area..

JBecker 72
10-01-14, 09:16
If you are dead set on sticking with the VP9 platform, might as well get another. Something to maybe consider if you want an HK, and want a long slide version, is the P30L. That's on my want to buy list.

Pretty sure that's on the roster so he can get it whenever.

teutonicpolymer
10-01-14, 21:20
I-10 is best becuse of where it leads... Just saying

Honestly the laws in CA have gone beyond ridiculous, I think Canada has arguably more lax gun laws than CA has at this point

MistWolf
10-02-14, 00:23
My exit of choice was I-40 to Williams, then turned left and kept going until I got stopped by a great big hole in the ground

Mauser KAR98K
10-02-14, 00:32
USP Expert. The thing will last. The way Cali is going, they could place a ban on parts to where you can't repair, replace your weapon.

BTW: What is this new law about? I keep hearing about it, but never the details.

OP: just save your money, throw out resume's, get hired in a free-state, and then get the hell out of Cali.

mysak
10-02-14, 01:23
The new law is they are getting rid of the single shot exemption which is how CA got all the off roster hand guns because companies refused to pay CA extortion fee to sell guns here and i dont blame them.

Trust me I want to move but with recent turn of events its not exactly an option right now. Plus with only a year left of school might as well finish and we have a farm although with the way they crap on farmers around here who knows how long that will last.

mysak
10-02-14, 01:24
The new law is they are getting rid of the single shot exemption which is how CA got all the off roster hand guns because companies refused to pay CA extortion fee to sell guns here and i dont blame them.

Trust me I want to move but with recent turn of events its not exactly an option right now. Plus with only a year left of school might as well finish and we have a farm although with the way they crap on farmers around here who knows how long that will last.

gtmtnbiker98
10-02-14, 09:06

The Timberwolf frame is the same.

If you can comfortably conceal the VP9, then good. I'd add a J-frame and a 1911 in 45 for when you grow up.:p

Read more, post less.

TMS951
10-02-14, 09:14
Second vp9

beschatten
10-02-14, 11:02
Throw me in the vote for getting a backup VP9.

After that... a nice 1911.