PDA

View Full Version : cleaning and lube questions

platinumdude
06-15-08, 23:59
I was wondering if a special cleaner is needed when dealing with chrome barrels? I heard chrome could be harmed with certain harsh cleaners. Is this true?

For the lube part I would use miltec. I read this statement on website in regards to lubing the barrel:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/lubricating.msnw

' 3) Put a generous coat on the barrel. NOTE: The -10 calls for a generaous coat. That may be fine for storage, however SGT J. Bonner (US Army) has noted that by doing so "....the smoke will BURN THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR EYES AND TAKE YOU OUT OF THE FIGHT, trust me, been there." '

Do you then lube light?

Failure2Stop
06-16-08, 13:18
Any normal cleaner will be just fine. CLPs are pretty good for cleaning, you really don't need anything more for the barrel/chamber area as long as you use a decent bore and chamber brushes. Chrome bores are extremely corrosion and contaminant resistant, that's why they are in military guns. It will be pretty hard to remove the chrome lining with anything you would use in a non-industrial capacity.

ARs, like women, run better wet. (<-Stolen joke) Keep the bolt carrier rails and the internal areas of the bolt well lubed. Not dripping off, but more than what most would refer to as a "light coat". Replenish the lubrication as it burns off. There is no need to lube the bore, or rather, it is a bad idea to keep standing lube in the bore for anything other than long-term storage of non-chrome lined barrels, for very good reasons.

There are a ridiculous number of cleaning threads, and even more lubrication threads. If you have a question about a certain lube/cleaner or CLP, it has probably been stomped into the ground before. Just type it into the search function and instantly transport into the conversations of the past.

-F2S

CLHC
06-16-08, 13:29
For lubrication I use Amsoil Synthetic. . .I wonder if Marvel Mystery Oil would be okay to use? But if I remember correctly, I think it's Petroleum based and combustible?

rifleshooter
06-16-08, 15:28
Any solvent that contains ammonia should not be left in a bbl. longer then 15 mins.
I have this Tiptons bore solvent that contains ammoina to remove copper flashing in my handgun bbl.s
I don't use it in my chrome lined bbl.s. I don't think it would damage the chrome lining I just don't think it's needed. I got the 15 min.deal from Tiptons.

platinumdude
06-22-08, 22:55
I read on the Noveske website, that you should run your bore wet.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/care/

"Always finish with Tetra Gun Oil or KG 4. Never shoot a dry bore as this will greatly promote copper fouling. "

Is this true? I always thought it was the reverse.

Edit, nevermind, reading the military m16 handbook that it comes with, it too says a light oil coating in the bore.

rifleshooter
06-23-08, 09:38
I read on the Noveske website, that you should run your bore wet.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/care/

"Always finish with Tetra Gun Oil or KG 4. Never shoot a dry bore as this will greatly promote copper fouling. "

Is this true? I always thought it was the reverse.

Edit, nevermind, reading the military m16 handbook that it comes with, it too says a light oil coating in the bore.

I have always shoot all my firearms with a lite coating of oil and it's never caused any problems.;)

platinumdude
07-02-08, 18:24
I bought a bottle of Break-Free Lubricant and Preservative Gun Oil. I think I will use my MPRO 7 gun cleaner to clean it, then use the Break-Free lubricant for the oil. I think both should be safe for the chrome barrel.

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 18:37
I have started using this material and it came highly recomended.;)

http://www.corrosionx.com/

platinumdude
07-02-08, 18:41
I have started using this material and it came highly recomended.;)

http://www.corrosionx.com/

So you run through this product once to clean the gun parts, then again to lube it?

rifleshooter
07-02-08, 19:21
So you run through this product once to clean the gun parts, then again to lube it?

From the Chamber end:

Using a bore guide also is very helpful and really speeds up the bore cleaning job. I have a Tiptons.

I use some breakfree CLP first just spray it in the chamber end of bbl. then let it set in the bbl. a while five Mins will work then I follow with Hopes Copper Solvent on a true .223 bronze bore brush (4) times through the bbl. don't pull it back remove it and then pull cleaning rod out.

Then using a bore Jag and .223 size cotton patchs untill they come out clean.

I then also use a 5.56/.223 Chamber brush on the chamber.

I finish with Corrosionx on a patch (3) times. I also use it on the bolt&carrier and the outside of bbl. and all the metal parts.

RogerinTPA
07-02-08, 20:29
I too run a patch of lube down the barrel before shooting (Besides lubing the bolt). I was told it would promote a longer barrel life. It made sense to me, however...I've been on quite a few rifle teams in my life, both small and big bore. We never cleaned them until the end of the shooting season, after shooting thousands of rounds, but they weren't my personal weapons.

Joe Mamma
07-03-08, 09:47
I was wondering if a special cleaner is needed when dealing with chrome barrels? I heard chrome could be harmed with certain harsh cleaners. Is this true?

For the lube part I would use miltec. I read this statement on website in regards to lubing the barrel:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/lubricating.msnw

' 3) Put a generous coat on the barrel. NOTE: The -10 calls for a generaous coat. That may be fine for storage, however SGT J. Bonner (US Army) has noted that by doing so "....the smoke will BURN THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR EYES AND TAKE YOU OUT OF THE FIGHT, trust me, been there." '

Do you then lube light?

I think everyone is confusing lube ON the barrel (which is what the information at the link in this first post was referring to) and lube IN the barrel.

I only put a VERY light coat of some type of rust preventative/lube on the outside of the barrel. I have also found that when shooting a lot in a short period of time (with oil on the outside of the barrel), the barrel starts to get so hot it smokes and distracts you. I haven't experienced the eye buring that was mentioned in the link but, I'm not surprised.

With my chrome lined barrels, I don't leave any cleaner or lube on the inside.

Joe Mamma