PDA

View Full Version : Knights Armament SR-25 in California

Terryw123
06-16-08, 00:31
I live in California and I'm looking to build something similar to an SR-25. Does KAC sell just an upper? Is it compatible with any lowers that is legal in California? I know Noveske just came out with a lower. Any suggestions?

DANGER CLOSE
06-16-08, 02:57
check out calguns.net for more information including the legal aspect. yes you can build but it is based off of the other type lower / magazine which is not compatible with the kac model. honestly, i dont know much about the difference. i would like to plan a build myself in the future. for california, i know that the noveske and fulton ones are safe, maybe a couple other ones. another animal is to find a dealer that will transfer or sell a stripped lower / californicated rifle. happy hunting :)

flyawaychen
06-16-08, 08:26
It's not easy to get a stripped part from KAC, you have to find somebody who bought the SR25 doesn't want the upper and that is very rare.
Also the compatibility with Noveske N6 is suspected.
Since both SR25 and SR15 lowers are all illegal in California, it decrease the chance to even find a one.
However, there are many AR10 uppers out there that are compatible with N6 have the same reliability as SR25, you might want to take them in consideration.
You can ask the question on calguns.net for more cal-pro answers.

Razorhunter
06-16-08, 22:22
There is a way to make DPMS/KAC uppers/lowers fit with genuine AR10 uppers and lowers, but you don't want to go this route. It many times leaves an unsightly gap at the rear of the rifle (depending on the config you are using ie whose upper and whose lower), and it just downright doesn't work well.
From what I've found over the years, your only bet in the Peoples Republic of California is to use a Noveske N6 rollmarked lower, which is basically an AR10 (Armalite lower).

KevinB
06-17-08, 12:51
I will despute anyone finding an AR10 that is as reliable as a SR-25, unless its a single shot...

DocGKR
06-17-08, 13:20
CA Legal SR25/AR10=Rem700 or an M1A...

NoBody
06-17-08, 13:38
CA Legal SR25/AR10=Rem700 or an M1A...

Concur.

Terryw123
06-17-08, 14:37
So I think with the problem of me living in California the best bet is to go with Noveske. Which all in all is definitly not a bad thing. Cause I have an N4 and think it is the best thing ever. Does anyone have any good info on magazines? I have heard that is the biggest weakness in the rifle. I want to do everything to make it as reliable as possible

Littlelebowski
06-17-08, 20:27
I will despute anyone finding an AR10 that is as reliable as a SR-25, unless its a single shot...

My brother has a DPMS, he said it's not worse than the SR25 he carried in Iraq. It would seem reasonable to think a bit of gunsmith tuning or buying from GAP would ensure a reliable AR10. I know my gunsmith could handle it after watching him build an 18" 5.56 AR that printed 3" groups at 600 and is ultra reliable.