PDA

View Full Version : New car buying dilemma. Suggestions?

jpmuscle
08-31-14, 10:16
Ok, so long story short my the Lease on my 2012 VW Passat is up as of October 1st so I've been shopping around. I like my VW passat, I really do. It's been a great car albeit a bit boring. Plus the new TSI turbo models are big improvement. Pretty much they would role me into a new S model with cloth and a 5spd manual for the the same payment I have now. If I opt for the SE model with leatherette and 17's my 0 down monthly payment is 345 month for 36 months. That goes down approximately 25$ per/1000$ down. I considered the Jetta but the cost difference is negligible to get the same options at the expense of size, usable room, etc. It was more fun to drive by a touch.

BUT, my other options include the new Mazda 6 and Honda Accord sport, both with manual transmissions. I like the 2015 Mazda 6, alot. Definitely the nicest car of the group and and sportiest. I loved the interior and it definitely handled the best. Could use a hotter motor though. Price wise I'd be looking at 321 month for 36 months with 0 down or 237 month with 3000 down. Both numbers include TTFs. If I opt for the touring model it's either 378/0 down or 295/3000 down. Honestly, I'm not thrilled about this pricing structure and says to me that Mazda has little confidence in the long term resale value of this car when it comes off lease. It gets the best mileage though.

Now for the 2014 Accord. It's certainly a decent looking car. Not quite the aesthetic appeal of the Mazda inside and out however. The car just exudes that volume sales oriented feel and a reduced level of refinement, especially the interior. Nice certainly but not fantastic by any means when compared to the Mazda. Its more on par with my current Passat. The sport model looks better over the standard EX and has a few nice additional options such as full power driver seat and 18s. I've never owned a Honda and the fact that I'm sitting here now entertaining such options bemuses me but such is life. I've had a long standing preference form mature elegance (which attracted me to the Passat initially) and the tuner crap I always have and always will loathe ( as an aside I miss my 4th gen z28) Price wise the Accord is a better deal cost/value wise. I'm looking at 289/month out the door. 0 cash down and that includes my first payment, no security deposit, and they would buy out the last payment of my Passat. I think they can move a little on this price as well since they would have to bring in a manual transmission in my color choice regardless and they want to start pushing the 2015s. Apparently honda is not offering any lease incentives on the 2015s yet and I haven't seen when that will start. Between 2015 and 2014 the cars are pretty much identical. The dealer also stated that 18 months into my lease I could exercise and option to have them buy it back and roll me into a new model at no cost to me. I'm guessing this has more to do with the long term value retention of the Hondas in general. But everyone it seems has an Accord. No so much with the Mazda.

My biggest gripe against the Honda was the with the dealership. A little to much drive by salesmanship for my taste. I've experienced none of that with my dealings at VW and Mazda, hell when I first got my Passat my sales guy personally called me when my first service window came up and offered to come get my car, drop of loaner, and bring mine back to me after servicing. I live 45 mins from the dealership fyi.

So idk. I think it really is just going to come down to price as I would like to save some money this time around but I hate the idea of opting for what I feel to be a lesser car. The accord is definitely the best buy cost/value wise but the Passat SE with options and especially the Mazda touring are nicer cars. In their basic trims everything I think then is closer to being on par with the Accord but again the Accord becomes the better value. If I knew sitting here right now that I would likely buy following the termination of my lease then the upfront costs I can swallow but the resale value of the Mazda concerns me especially with the motor in it at present. If it was a v6 or turbo 4 my feelings might be different. The same goes for the Passat. In basic trims I think this is problematic.

So any suggestions, experiences, negotiating tips? Color preferences? My passat is black now and its the best color on all the cars being discussed but i'm finding the gunmetal silver to be very appealing this time around too.

Much obliged.

Pics for reference. Note the accord pics are online finds. The Mazda pics I took myself and depict the touring model. The black car is a GT http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/9d299c57eb85d10057e603efb789c747.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/11c71bdbc63b23909c7e5149d82734c7.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/484eb04f8c87cf2dc2f6e51e1fc5cfa1.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/40007a775e4a14d280ba3509e87b0d55.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/f5f3f3609e38c61b992edc9ca191e8e0.jpg

TriviaMonster
08-31-14, 10:38
The Mazda obviously. Its by far the best driving of the three. But leasing is a financial black hole and thus I cannot support any decision.

jmoney
08-31-14, 10:40
My wife wanted a hind and we had a real bad experience at the dealership as well. I just don't get why their cars coat what they do.

She end up with and explorer. She has several friends that have mazdas, and they all love them.

I would try and do some research on the turbos you are looking at, look around and see what people's complaints are.

jpmuscle
08-31-14, 10:58
The Mazda obviously. Its by far the best driving of the three. But leasing is a financial black hole and thus I cannot support any decision.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think it does depend on the numbers though. A zero down lease or atleast first and fees isn't necessarily a bad deal so long as the residual value is inline with the actual value of the with respect to its depreciation. All your really doing then is renting the car. The more you put down though the black hole-ish it can become though.

Honestly part of problem is I get bored easy so leasing works. If I was going to buy something and keep it 10+ years there would be TDI vw in my driveway.

glocktogo
08-31-14, 11:40
Of the three, I'd pick the 6. However, I'd buy and get aggressive on the bottom line. You need to account for that depreciation factor because too many people are unaware of how much Mazda has improved.

My last pic would be the Honda. I went in to seriously check out an Accord. It was between that, the Kia Optima and a Subaru Legacy. The Legacy was too plain on the interior and down on power. I was concerned about depreciation on the Kia and they weren't budging on the price at the time. The Honda and the dealership turned me off completely, even though the engine was the best of the bunch.

I accidentally stumbled onto a terrifically priced, late model, low mileage Lexus GS-460. The premium over the Honda and Kia was only $2,500, so I couldn't pass it up. :)

Sam
08-31-14, 12:04
To the original poster -

How is your 2012 Passat running? has it ever had any problem? I'm asking because I have a 2013 Passat SE (gas, 5 cyl, leatherette (fake leather) seats. I haven't had any problem at all since I bought it. Just wondering what am I to expect in the coming years.

I can't tell you which car to choose but I can offer advice on the price and payment issue. Don't get bog down on the number of payments and amount of monthly payment. That's how a buyer gets into trouble with paying too much for a car. A sales weasel (that's what they are) are always trying to finagle with the numbers to get a potential buyer hooked. Concentrate and insist on the final bottom line purchase price. $25000? 28000? 30,000? Then figure out the financing next.

Oh I'll throw my two cents in on the styles, the more organic/aerobic/shapely/modern the car looks, the quicker it goes out of style. The more conservative (or boring but classy) it is, like your Passat, the longer that look will last. Consider a 1990s Mercedes 190 or 300 class cars, they don't look out of style even after over 20 years.

Good luck.

Dienekes
08-31-14, 12:57
"The horror! the horror!" (Kurtz)

GH41
08-31-14, 14:56
With Sam here. The money part is easy. Just add every expense and fees and divide by the number of months leased. You want to know what the car is going to cost you per month to drive. In my opinion leasing works if you want to drive a new car every couple of years or if you are capable of deducting the cost as a business expense and don't exceed the allowed mileage.

C-grunt
08-31-14, 15:15
Three letters...

WRX

MountainRaven
08-31-14, 15:52
Three letters...

WRX

Still waiting for the 2015 hatchback.

Mjolnir
08-31-14, 16:47
Honda

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

SkiDevil
08-31-14, 16:52
If you like to drive then buy the Mazda. I agree though that the Honda will have a better resale value.

As for leasing, if you can afford to just buy the car I think that is the route to take. The only time I see where a lease makes sense is to buy a car if you only drive a limited amount not exceeding the allotted mileage. Some people also lease more expensive brands to avoid the greater up front expense.

For what it's worth Honda is offering is 0.9 and 1.9% interest rates on some models.

Get what you can afford and as my financial advisor friend likes to say "a car is the worst place to put your money".

I keep reminding myself that as I am looking at used BMW M3's on-line. :rolleyes:

TriviaMonster
08-31-14, 18:54
If you like to drive then buy the Mazda. I agree though that the Honda will have a better resale value.

As for leasing, if you can afford to just buy the car I think that is the route to take. The only time I see where a lease makes sense is to buy a car if you only drive a limited amount not exceeding the allotted mileage. Some people also lease more expensive brands to avoid the greater up front expense.

For what it's worth Honda is offering is 0.9 and 1.9% interest rates on some models.

Get what you can afford and as my financial advisor friend likes to say "a car is the worst place to put your money".

I keep reminding myself that as I am looking at used BMW M3's on-line. :rolleyes:
Your financial adviser friend is right. I've hopped off the nice car train and it feels good. Next purchase will be a 8-10 year old civic, cash of course. Then an 8-10 year old pickup for work related stuff. Plus I am putting my fiance through school with no debt. With all the money I have saved, I will surely blow it on guns.

uffdaphil
08-31-14, 20:23
If you find your current Passat "a bit boring," you are not going to find the Accord less so. The Mazdas I've driven handle better than their Honda counterparts. Hondas have the edge on comfort, but suspensions too mushy IMO. My sister's Passat was the best shifting sedan I've ever driven. Of your three I would opt for the Mazda in your situation because of it's reputation as a fun to drive car, and for a change of pace from the VW.

If an Acura TL SH-AWD lease is in your price range, at least give one a test drive. The torque vectoring awd system is incredible. Go into a cloverleaf a little too fast with a front drive on the edge of understeer, you would let off the gas a bit. In the awd TL you give it MORE throttle and the computer will kick the rear out just enough to swing you around the curve. It is not like drifting a rear drive like my Miata, just a non-startling, easily controlled squaring the circle. A blast to drive plus the optional surround sound system is exquisite.

bp7178
08-31-14, 21:27
Don't figure out financing at the dealership. Figure that out ahead of time through, ideally the same financial institution you use for your everyday banking. It will simplify payments etc. Even if you're a point higher, its worth it to make sending in payments for the next five years.

Dealership negotiations is about OTD price. Out the door. Watch for add ons. **** pinstripes. If you pull onto a dealer lot and every car has dealer applied pinstripes...leave.

I don't look for passionate driving experiences with cars like that. They are all about practical experiences. My SUV is my go everywhere car. If you want to have an extreme experience on a vehicle buy a motorcycle. A Ducati Panigale 1199 has more horsepower than a MX-6, but weighs about 360lbs...with a 2.5 sec 0-60 and a 9.9 1/4 mile. To get that level of tech and performance in a car, you're over 100k easy.

Mjolnir
08-31-14, 21:58
The Accord Sport is not your typical, everyday Accord... And it is a better drive than the Mazda.

It's a true driver's car.

Just sayin'...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

C-grunt
08-31-14, 23:32

Hopefully I'll be buying a 2015 STi this winter.

TehLlama
09-01-14, 00:05

God yes - all I've wanted is a 6-spd Manual, Hatchback, with Sunroof. Looks like I'm just getting my wife an Outback, and spending the rest of a Fox body Mustang for me.

wildcard600
09-01-14, 00:10
but something you plan on driving for the next ten years, pay it off early then look at toys.

imo

Alex V
09-01-14, 07:40
Sonata 2.0T? No manual, sure, but I love my wife's Sonata a lot more than my Mazda3 lol.

BTW, still have my 4th gen WS6 :-)

Bulletdog
09-01-14, 09:39
Do customer satisfaction surveys, maintenance issues, and overall hassles mean much to you?

I frequently look at what Consumer Reports has to say when considering a new vehicle. My father has also been a mechanic since before I was born. Based on that, I would not buy a VW, a Jeep, or a Benz. Your time and money though. I see lots of those cars driving around. Well, when they are not in the shop, I mean.

The_War_Wagon
09-01-14, 09:56
Something PRE-electronic ignition. EMP-proof. :cool:

CoryCop25
09-01-14, 11:01
I love my Passat 2.0T gas. It's 7 years old now and I have only ever replaced brake pads and tires. And recently an ignition coil that cast me $57.
Before the Passat, I had a 2004 BMW 325iX, the Passat was more comfortable, faster and has better features then the BMW. Oh yeah, and cheaper.
This is my third VW and I won't buy Jetta's anymore.

jpmuscle
09-01-14, 11:22
To the original poster -

How is your 2012 Passat running? has it ever had any problem? I'm asking because I have a 2013 Passat SE (gas, 5 cyl, leatherette (fake leather) seats. I haven't had any problem at all since I bought it. Just wondering what am I to expect in the coming years.

I can't tell you which car to choose but I can offer advice on the price and payment issue. Don't get bog down on the number of payments and amount of monthly payment. That's how a buyer gets into trouble with paying too much for a car. A sales weasel (that's what they are) are always trying to finagle with the numbers to get a potential buyer hooked. Concentrate and insist on the final bottom line purchase price. $25000? 28000? 30,000? Then figure out the financing next.

Oh I'll throw my two cents in on the styles, the more organic/aerobic/shapely/modern the car looks, the quicker it goes out of style. The more conservative (or boring but classy) it is, like your Passat, the longer that look will last. Consider a 1990s Mercedes 190 or 300 class cars, they don't look out of style even after over 20 years.

Good luck.

No major issues in the 33K or so that I've put on it. I few months back I had the right rear caliper hang up on my way home from work. Not to the point of locking the wheel up or anything but dragging just enough to throw off some noticeable heat standing in my driveway. It only happened that one time and has been fine since so idk. It may have had something to do with the E-brake but like I said it was a one time deal.

The 0.9% offer is available on the sport that I'm looking at so I'm entertaining that option as well.

If you find your current Passat "a bit boring," you are not going to find the Accord less so. The Mazdas I've driven handle better than their Honda counterparts. Hondas have the edge on comfort, but suspensions too mushy IMO. My sister's Passat was the best shifting sedan I've ever driven. Of your three I would opt for the Mazda in your situation because of it's reputation as a fun to drive car, and for a change of pace from the VW.

If an Acura TL SH-AWD lease is in your price range, at least give one a test drive. The torque vectoring awd system is incredible. Go into a cloverleaf a little too fast with a front drive on the edge of understeer, you would let off the gas a bit. In the awd TL you give it MORE throttle and the computer will kick the rear out just enough to swing you around the curve. It is not like drifting a rear drive like my Miata, just a non-startling, easily controlled squaring the circle. A blast to drive plus the optional surround sound system is exquisite.

I looked at that offering briefly and it is a bit out of my price range. Cool tech for sure.

Don't figure out financing at the dealership. Figure that out ahead of time through, ideally the same financial institution you use for your everyday banking. It will simplify payments etc. Even if you're a point higher, its worth it to make sending in payments for the next five years.

Dealership negotiations is about OTD price. Out the door. Watch for add ons. **** pinstripes. If you pull onto a dealer lot and every car has dealer applied pinstripes...leave.

I don't look for passionate driving experiences with cars like that. They are all about practical experiences. My SUV is my go everywhere car. If you want to have an extreme experience on a vehicle buy a motorcycle. A Ducati Panigale 1199 has more horsepower than a MX-6, but weighs about 360lbs...with a 2.5 sec 0-60 and a 9.9 1/4 mile. To get that level of tech and performance in a car, you're over 100k easy.

Understood. That's part of the reason why I went with the Passat when I did. I wanted something simplistic and practical. It fit that bill very well. As for the real sport experience I'd still have my 03' ZX12-R if it wasn't for having to pay for grad school :mad: I miss that bike everyday lol.

Sonata 2.0T? No manual, sure, but I love my wife's Sonata a lot more than my Mazda3 lol.

BTW, still have my 4th gen WS6 :-)

My mom has an Elantra and while a nice car along with the sonata the lack of a manual is a deal breaker lol. I miss my 4th gen z-28 probably just as much as my bike. Growing up is dumb..

Do customer satisfaction surveys, maintenance issues, and overall hassles mean much to you?

I frequently look at what Consumer Reports has to say when considering a new vehicle. My father has also been a mechanic since before I was born. Based on that, I would not buy a VW, a Jeep, or a Benz. Your time and money though. I see lots of those cars driving around. Well, when they are not in the shop, I mean.

They matter a ton imo. When I was younger I didn't mind wrenching on my stuff. No I just want to put gas in it and go, if its fun in the process then Bonus. By all accounts the Honda seems to be rated slightly better in most areas than the Passat, but not by much except in the handling category. My line of thinking was/is that if anything breaks they can come and get my car and fix it since with the lease everything was/is under warranty. If I buy and keep for a number of years then the concerns you raise become more critical I agree. The one big thing I liked about VW are the service intervals. Every 10k miles worked really well since the dealership is almost an hours drive from my home town. I call and schedule a couple days before. Easy peasy.

Dienekes
09-01-14, 11:44

I'm waiting for Occam Motors to announce their new RAZR.

jpmuscle
09-01-14, 12:27
Just to follow up quick. I've gone back and forth a few times today with the Honda guys over the phone and this is where I'm at currently.

If I lease I'm looking at the following:

2014 Accord Sport - BLK, manual trans, etc - $269/month/35 months, $0 down, first month free, plus they'll buy out the last month of my Passat lease. The $269/month includes all TTFs, so less monthly if I pay that up front. I can also exercise an option to roll into a new lease at 18 months or new vehicle purchase should that be what I decide or want to do.

Payment total = $9,415
Residual value = $13,723
Total Vehicle Cost = $21,295.

From everything I can gather and find online that $21,295 is under the generally estimated dealer cost of $22,713. Sticker price on the window is $25,505 which is obviously inconsequential at this point but I mention it for reference sake.

If I buy I'm looking at the $21,295 @ .09% for 60 months. It works out to around $385/month. With 4K down that comes down to approx $315/month which is slightly more than what I'm paying now.

I see this as an attractive offer. If I had more to put down on a buy it would be better.

My VW dealer is closed today for the holiday so I'm going to touch base with them in the AM and see what they will do. I figure a 2014 Passat SE with manual trans, leatherette, etc comes in at the same sticker price so their dealer cost has to be pretty damn close. Either they match or beat the same lease rate and I'd be happy with that. If I buy I think the Honda is the way to go considering how quick the equity builds but I think the Passat is a better lease deal option for option, assuming they match the same numbers.

SkiDevil
09-01-14, 15:13
I would BUY the Honda Sport at that price. When I bought my first Honda it was 1.9% for 60 months, so 0.9% is ridiculously low.

I drove the same car in an automatic and it was a nice ride.The only thing I thought it was missing was leather and a sunroof. The Accord Sport is modified from the standard models with an upgraded suspension, exhaust, wheels/ tires.

We have had three Hondas in my family and each one went over 200k miles.

tylerw02
09-01-14, 22:08
My spouse and I purchased a 2014 Mazda 6 in January. We absolutely love the car! It drives great, gets good mileage, and has more room than anything else we tried. We looked at Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Dodge Dart, Ford Fusion (very similar car), and just about everything else.

So far, the only complaints we have is the mirrors are placed in a funny spot, and you will take several months to remember to open the fuel door before you get out to fill it up.

Also, the iPod mod won't let you control it from the pod when it's plugged in and automatically starts the entire library alphabetically. Kind of annoying in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramairthree
09-01-14, 22:21
Grab a Charger RT AWD,
fill the huge trunk with guns and ammo,
buy an extra computer module from a totaled car at a junk yard, bubble and Faraday wrap it, put it in the trunk,
then relax and await the solar flare/EMP.

jpmuscle
09-02-14, 07:15
Although not necessarily germane to this discussion GM can go to hell.

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fe5787fea-30e9-11e4-8313-00144feabdc0.html

MountainRaven
09-02-14, 09:27
Although not necessarily germane to this discussion GM can go to hell.

http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fe5787fea-30e9-11e4-8313-00144feabdc0.html

Anyone who thinks car drivers, I mean "users", should be able to "create content" while operating a motor vehicle is f__in' retarded. As though enough people don't die already from fumble-f___ing their radio and their GPS navigation and their cellphones, now we have to have the world's worst Twitter and Facebook apps to distract the driver... And now they want the driver to start taking selfies!?

jpmuscle
09-02-14, 09:35
Anyone who thinks car drivers, I mean "users", should be able to "create content" while operating a motor vehicle is f__in' retarded. As though enough people don't die already from fumble-f___ing their radio and their GPS navigation and their cellphones, now we have to have the world's worst Twitter and Facebook apps to distract the driver... And now they want the driver to start taking selfies!?
I can see this eventually getting tied into insurance rates and the like. Same with the black box issue eventually. Big brother knows no bounds.

Alex V
09-02-14, 10:26
My mom has an Elantra and while a nice car along with the sonata the lack of a manual is a deal breaker lol. I miss my 4th gen z-28 probably just as much as my bike. Growing up is dumb..

I agree. The lack of a manual option is a killer for me. The lease on my Mazda3 is up in March and I am in the same boat.

Having the WS6 it's a little different tho, If I want to scare myself I can just drive that. Otherwise I needed a sh*t box to get me to and from work.

The new Mazda 6 is a very nice looking car for sure. Judging by the 5spd in my 3, it is one of the better shifters I have used. Sure it is still a little sloppy, but not as bad as my '96 Maxima or my friends '02 Elontra was. Those cars you did not know if you were in 5th or 1st. Is it as positive feeling as my TA? Absolutely not. But its better than most imports. For me, shifter feel is a big factor. I test drove an Impreza wagon and the shifter was crap. Even though its only a daily driver, I still like to power shift it at WOT and heel toe into the corner lol. Mistaking 1st for 3rd would suck!

My vote is for the Mazda 6

jpmuscle
09-02-14, 10:55
Ok it comes down to this.

Volkswagen essentially was willing to bring the lease price down on 2014 SE with leather and what not to 283 a month for 36 months at 10k a year. Residual cost would be 13,413 with my 36 payments totaling 10,188.

BUT

They can only bring in a white are lite silver vehicle (blah).

Also my insurance would increase approximately 1200 dollars over the course of 3 years from where I'm at now. No option to role into a new vehicle after 18 months either.

The accord sport increases my insurance approximately 275$ over 3 years from where I'm at now.

Mazda didn't really want to deal at all.

So I do like the passat a bit better especially with the leather and what not but the accord looks to be the better cost effective buy for where I'm at presently in life all things considered.

Sam
09-02-14, 11:01
My original question was how is your current Passat running, any problem with it?

jpmuscle
09-02-14, 11:09
My original question was how is your current Passat running, any problem with it?
Sam,

Post #24 I touched on that. Short answer no not except for the caliper issue which has not occurred since.

Sam
09-02-14, 12:11
Thanks, sorry I missed your short answer. I am one of those that keep a car at least 10 years. This is my first VW, I'm very happy with it so far.

jpmuscle
09-02-14, 12:35
Thanks, sorry I missed your short answer. I am one of those that keep a car at least 10 years. This is my first VW, I'm very happy with it so far.
No problem. Great car all around IMO. The new turbo motor is a huge improvement.

brickboy240
09-02-14, 16:22
Leasing a car is the biggest rip off ever!

Buy a really nice 2-3 year old used car with some warranty left. Take great care of it and drive it for a very long time. Bonus points if you can do some of the repair/maintenance work yourself. Seriously..this is what I do and have done for a very long time. Put the car on the shortest note you can stand and pay it off ASAP. Then...take care of it and drive it without a note for as long as you think it will go. With good maintenance...many quality cars will go 200-250k miles before they need major work. A constant car note is for chumps.

Sorry...I work for myself....not the auto dealerships and auto finance companies. If you lease...then you ALWAYS have a note and you NEVER OWN anything.

That said, I'd pick the Honda over a VW or Mazda. Honda's build quality and reliability is just better, overall than that of VW or Mazda.

We owned one VW and the thing had VERY high maintenance costs. It was like paying BMW-part prices for parts/service on what is still sort of an economy car. Never again. My Volvos and Saabs had cheaper parts prices than our Jetta!

Mazda is NOT of the quality of Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Mazda and Mitsubishi are the lower quality of Japanese cars and their resale values reflect that.

-brickboy240

CoryCop25
09-02-14, 19:04
Buy a really nice 2-3 year old used car with some warranty left. Take great care of it and drive it for a very long time. Bonus points if you can do some of the repair/maintenance work yourself.

-brickboy240

This is exactly what I do but I can relate to the OP's statement that he gets bored with cars after a couple years. I love my car but I'm already shopping in my head for the next one.

Belmont31R
09-02-14, 22:19
I agree. The lack of a manual option is a killer for me. The lease on my Mazda3 is up in March and I am in the same boat.

Having the WS6 it's a little different tho, If I want to scare myself I can just drive that. Otherwise I needed a sh*t box to get me to and from work.

The new Mazda 6 is a very nice looking car for sure. Judging by the 5spd in my 3, it is one of the better shifters I have used. Sure it is still a little sloppy, but not as bad as my '96 Maxima or my friends '02 Elontra was. Those cars you did not know if you were in 5th or 1st. Is it as positive feeling as my TA? Absolutely not. But its better than most imports. For me, shifter feel is a big factor. I test drove an Impreza wagon and the shifter was crap. Even though its only a daily driver, I still like to power shift it at WOT and heel toe into the corner lol. Mistaking 1st for 3rd would suck!

We have a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv with the 6-speed manual. Love the car for what it is. Not a sports car by any means but its still reasonably fun for a small 4 door. No issues with it yet after 31k miles.

jpmuscle
09-04-14, 00:00
Ok

Well all said and done I went with the accord sport. I picked it up this evening and I'm loving it so far. I was able to take advantage the college graduate program they were running too so that netted me an extra $500 off, so bonus.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

C-grunt
09-04-14, 10:09
You cant go wrong with an Accord. Those Sport models look sharp and I hear they are nice to drive as well.

Caeser25
09-04-14, 11:12

This. I prefer to buy older, used, cash or able to be paid off in a year, maintain and drive into the ground.

My 96 Maxima was great once I added a Stillen STS and Unorthodox Racing Ceramic clutch and super lightweight flywheel (25% of stock) revved great. I didn't drive that one into the ground but a telephone pole :cray:

brickboy240
09-04-14, 14:35
Yep...nothing says, "I failed Economics 101" more than leasing a car. Total rip-off.

-brickboy240

jpmuscle
09-04-14, 16:00
Yep...nothing says, "I failed Economics 101" more than leasing a car. Total rip-off.

-brickboy240
I appreciate the constructive input since this thread has nothing to do with the efficacy of leasing or purchasing.