PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington in 700 Long Action?

5.56Geo
09-01-14, 10:16
I have an extra Remington 700 Stainless long action that I would like to build small 6.5 caliber 1000 meter rifle with. I have narrowed it down to one of the two following cartridges 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington. Both of these cartridges have very similar ballistics, I'm just not sure which one I should go with. I understand that the 6.5CM is designed for an AR platform and the .260Rem is designed for a short action but I think both will work in a long action. What are your thoughts?? Thanks-5.56Geo

EDIT; I forgot to mention I reload.

caporider
09-01-14, 10:41
If you reload I'd recommend .260Rem. It's very easy to make .260 brass from .308 brass, so you have lots of options at multiple price points. As you have discovered, there really isn't a lick of difference ballistically between .260Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Please let us know what you end up shooting - it'll be interesting seeing how heavier bullets do when you can load LONG.

Coal Dragger
09-01-14, 15:12
Ballistics are virtually identical between the two, and it has been said that the 6.5mm Creedmoor is what the .260 Remington should have been in the first place from a case dimensions and design standpoint.

The .260 Remington has a bit more case capacity but not enough to make a huge difference until you start loading the bullets out long if your barrel's chamber allows for it. Of course if you are going to go to the trouble of long loading the bullets to get every last bit of velocity one has to ask why you don't just utilize that long action and chamber for something with a larger case in the first place like a 6.5mm-06, or 6.5mmX284 Norma, or a 6.5mm SAUM....

At any rate the .260 does hold slightly more powder which will net higher velocity if you can utilize it by seating the bullets out long. You can also now buy very good Lapua brass for the .260 Remington which should eliminate the variable of brass quality from your equation.

The 6.5mm Creedmoor probably will be a bit more easy to get accuracy out of given the way the case was designed, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the cases go a lot of reloadings because of the fairly sharp shoulder angle. Ackley improved cases feature a similar shoulder angle and it helps prevent case stretch and neck growth so brass lasts, and you don't have to trim it very often. I have a .280 Ackley and trimming brass is very rare. You've also got a longer case neck to play with so case neck tension will be easier to achieve and might help accuracy as well. Plus Hornady brass in my experience is usually pretty good, not Lapua good, but certainly not dog shit either.

The 6.5mm Creedmoor is also well supported by Hornady with match loads, that supposedly are really really really good. So if you ever needed to order some factory ammo in a pinch the 6.5mm Creedmoor is head and shoulders above the .260 Remington in that regard. An additional bonus, Hornady prints the cartridge load data right on the box, and from what I have read duplication is as easy as following the the load data provided. So if the factory loads shoot well, and you just want to duplicate them and have more fun shooting you can just do that. For me that is a big advantage because I like shooting way more than I like tinkering with loads to try to get another .1-.2" out of a 5 shot group, if it will shoot .5" at 100 yards and hold up to that MOA as distance increases I don't mess with it much. If a factory load did that and I could replicate it right off the bat with no tinkering I'd be a happy man.

You've got a tough decision, because either cartridge will work great, just got to pick the right pros and cons for you.

Koshinn
09-01-14, 15:47
I understand that the 6.5CM is designed for an AR platform

6.5CM was not designed for the AR platform.

You might be thinking of 6.5 Grendel.

caporider
09-01-14, 16:00
6.5CM was not designed for the AR platform.

You might be thinking of 6.5 Grendel.

It was actually designed for a David Tubbs space gun, which looks like an AR308. 6.5 Creedmoor is also perfectly happy at a 2.800 COAL with 140gr bullets so they work well out of AR308 mags. To be fair, though, .260Rem has few problems in an AR308 as well.

jwfuhrman
09-01-14, 16:09
I went with 260 Remington. 37.5gr Varget in Lapua Brass with 142gr SMK gets me 2 MOA at 1000 which is good enough for me. I didn't build this gun to shoot 1/2 dollar groups at 1000, I built it to hit 12"x20" IPSC Steel at 1000 consistently and as long as I do my part, it does.

masan
09-01-14, 18:16
I know you stated 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem but it may be worth your time to look into the 6.5-284. That particular cartridge is a stellar performer and in general does not need to be pushed up to max loads for optimal performance, running 142 smk's around 2900 fps. You can build it on your long action so that it will feed from a magazine if that is a factor. I will admit that I am a 6.5-284 fanboy and you should build what you want, I just wanted to throw this cartridge out there since you are already looking into a 6.5 build.

Steel head
09-01-14, 23:20
I also went with 260.
Mainly because of die choice and many options for cases.

Avtech850
09-04-14, 09:02
I know you stated 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem but it may be worth your time to look into the 6.5-284. That particular cartridge is a stellar performer and in general does not need to be pushed up to max loads for optimal performance, running 142 smk's around 2900 fps. You can build it on your long action so that it will feed from a magazine if that is a factor. I will admit that I am a 6.5-284 fanboy and you should build what you want, I just wanted to throw this cartridge out there since you are already looking into a 6.5 build.

Plus one on this!! I really don't know why this cartridge isn't more main stream and as a matter of fact when I load for my .284 I use lapua 6.5x284 brass necked up to 284.
It will do anything you want from busting prairie dogs out to 1500 yards to shooting local steel matches and there are a ton of documented scary small bench rest records set with it at 1000 yards.

Markk9
09-04-14, 10:46
Plus one on this!! I really don't know why this cartridge isn't more main stream and as a matter of fact when I load for my .284 I use lapua 6.5x284 brass necked up to 284.
It will do anything you want from busting prairie dogs out to 1500 yards to shooting local steel matches and there are a ton of documented scary small bench rest records set with it at 1000 yards.

I've heard the 6.5x284 is only good for about 1K down the tube.

Avtech850
09-04-14, 10:52
For premium accuracy that is a fair statement. I generally set the barrel back once my round count hits 1200 and can get about 600 more rounds of acceptable accuracy, but barrels need to be looked at as a expendable item like you would a good magazine.
It really depends on your load though, I have had 308s poop the bed after 1800 cause I was loading so hot and I have a 204 ruger that has well over 2500 rounds through it and still shoots 1 moa. Like everything else ymmv, but I've generally found 6mm-6.5mm designed for long range aren't the most barrel friendly round

Markk9
09-04-14, 12:47
For premium accuracy that is a fair statement. I generally set the barrel back once my round count hits 1200 and can get about 600 more rounds of acceptable accuracy, but barrels need to be looked at as a expendable item like you would a good magazine.
It really depends on your load though, I have had 308s poop the bed after 1800 cause I was loading so hot and I have a 204 ruger that has well over 2500 rounds through it and still shoots 1 moa. Like everything else ymmv, but I've generally found 6mm-6.5mm designed for long range aren't the most barrel friendly round

If you only fire a 100 rounds a month, that's a barrel every year to 18 months. To me, and in my opinion, that can get costly. You have the price of a new barrel and the cost to install, plus load work up time and expense.

Avtech850
09-04-14, 14:55
Yes it can get expensive, but I didn't get into shooting or guns to save money. As for the new load development, it is marginal if you buy the reamer used to cut your chamber. I honestly have a harder time when I have to switch to a new lot of powder or bullets.