PDA

View Full Version : Question Concerning Det. Carry Handles And Sights

Iraqgunz
06-16-08, 05:47
I would like to pose a question to the reasonably knowledgeable individuals here. I am looking for personal experience and obesrvations mostly. Here is the situation;

You have several Bushmaster M4gery carbines with detachable carry handles. All of the weapons have been zeroed to a specific individual. Were someone to carefully remove each handle individually, do some routine cleaning and then remount the carry handle do you feel that their BZO would be screwed up? Let's say that there was a 1 MOA difference. Does anyone feel that that is acceptable in battle rifle (weapon)?

We can also apply the same scenario to removing an ACOG, EOTech, etc....But in all cases the sights were placed back on the same address of the rail system.

Please share thoughts, experiences, opinions on this matter. Thanks.

warpigM-4
06-16-08, 08:39
well I had to take mine off a few times during BRM ,I never really had any problems once it was BSO.Now that was a colt though,but as long as the rear site was not bumped while cleaning or the Knobs changed .and put back on in the same place, i flush the handled with the front of the rail.I have no ideal about a Bushwacker. but I would not think it would mess it up That bad.

markm
06-16-08, 08:47
I've taken a carry handle off before. It held zero.

I'd be surprised if you could get the BZO to shift a minute.

Iraqgunz
06-16-08, 10:32
Demi,

We pulled that number out of ass. I was thinking more of 1/2 MOA, but that's only a SWAG. When I have time I want to put it to the test and get some data myself.

I've taken a carry handle off before. It held zero.

I'd be surprised if you could get the BZO to shift a minute.

markm
06-16-08, 10:56
I don't think you'll see any measureable shift in POI. The carry handle has such a wide footprint on the upper receiver.

Buck
06-16-08, 11:40
We do this routinely at work on carbines with a 100 yard zero and have never had a problem...

B

Failure2Stop
06-16-08, 17:17
I have removed and replaced irons, aimpoints, EoTechs, and Leupolds on AR platforms. When carefully and skillfully replaced they have demonstrated 0-1 MOA shift. They were not in any way scientifically conducted tests. Some were in theatre, and not without a great deal of stomach-turning for me until they were checked for zero.

I have also seen individuals incorrectly reattach sighting systems with a non-positive result. I cannot for certain say that they reattached them incorrectly every time, but the majority of the ones that demonstrated severe shift were corrected when detached and reattached by a knowlegable individual. For some reason, they weren't outstanding shooters to begin with :rolleyes: .

LaRue have consistently demonstrated no shift. OEM knobs (as on issued carry-handles and the TA-51 ACOG mount) show the highest rate of reattachment issue, probably due to the user failing to properly tension the knobs (one problem shooter's ACOG was literally hand-tightenable when I checked the mount).

I consider most of these mounts to be acceptable for up to 300 meter engagement, but would only trust LaRue for precision weapons/optics, mostly because I have more experience with LaRue than competing mounts.

I would still want to at least fire a confirmation before I headed off into Indian Country.