PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Free-float Handguards?

El Cid
09-01-14, 12:31
Okay, my searches only brought up threads that are 2 years old or more. The spreadsheet is not up to date and the author isn't posting here anymore.

I'm looking to make my SPR/DMR rifle lighter. When I built it several years ago the TRX was the lightest and one of the few available in a 15" length. Troy redesigned it due to some issues and now the market is flooded with some incredibly lightweight handguards. Currently the BCM KMR appears to be the front runner but DD just released a new Keymod handguard and I'm anxious to see the Gear Sector offering when it's released. I'm not married to Keymod or M-lok, but did notice the SLR rails of equal length are lighter as Keymod than as M-lok.

This got me thinking it might be time for an updated list of handguard weights sorted by length. Anyone know of such a thing? Or is anyone here with enough industry contacts able to tackle this project? I'm only interested in tubular handguards but it would probably be worthwhile to include the quad rail variety. Thoughts?

My "short" list so far:

Geissele
Noveske
Daniel Defense
BCM
SLR Rifleworks
Centurion (no 15" but I can live with the 14)
KAC (also only a 14.5")
Midwest Industries
Gear Sector

2nd.amendment
09-01-14, 12:47
There are so many these days it is tough to keep up with them all. If you want everything, there are some missing, like Samson/rainier, PWS, Lancer (if you want carbon fiber), Seekins, Parallax Tactical, etc.

Personally, I like the companies you have listed, especially a few personal specific ones from your list.

I think the challenge is, what is the purpose of such a list? To cover everything? Or to somehow pick only the "best", which then becomes difficult to quantify objectively and could easily spiral into a my rail is better than your rail thread.

Travis B
09-01-14, 12:48
Tactical Yellow Visor has a chart.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

Zim
09-01-14, 12:52
CMR 14 is 14.1 ounces with the nut. Geissele SMR Mk4 13 is 12.8 ounces with the nut. Can't you just Google up the weights yourself? Weights aren't exactly secret sauce.

El Cid
09-01-14, 13:27
I have used Google but some sites don't always publish the same weights, if any, and they often don't say if it includes the bbl nut. Some like the URX 4 seem very difficult to find. Thanks for those 2 you posted.

Travis, thanks but that's the spreadsheet I mentioned. It's not up to date and Rob downtown post here anymore.

2A, I knew I'd never remember all the options, so I just threw out the ones I am interested in for my rifle. Not lookjng for a thread or spreadsheet of the "best" as I believe you're correct - it would turn into drama. I'm looking for a factual reference to all free-floated handguards.

TacticalMark
09-01-14, 13:47
Noveske NSR15 11.8oz
BCM KMR15 8.1oz
Centurion CMR14 14.5oz
Rainier Arms Evolution 15 12oz
Rainier Arms Force 15 11.4oz
Geissele SMR MK2 15 16.6oz
Parallax Tactical FFSSR 15 17.8oz
MI Gen2 SS 15 10.9oz
SLR Solo Ultra Lite 15 10.1oz
Weight listed is including hardware.

Moses_J
09-01-14, 13:54
Noveske NSR15 11.8oz
BCM KMR15 8.1oz
Centurion CMR14 14.5oz
MI Gen2 SS 15 10.9oz
Thanks for this! It's crazy how BCM is the only one under 10oz. I've got a 10" KMR and hopefully will be adding a 13" soon.

TomMcC
09-01-14, 15:16
If you're interested in carbon fiber, the AP custom is the lightest I know of. The 15" on my 3gun rig is 6.5 oz with it's mounting hardware, excluding the stock barrel nut it uses.

birdkiller
09-01-14, 15:59
The 15" Midwest SSK, which is their key mod version of the hand guard you mentioned, is 9.9oz and the MLOK is 10.1oz. Also they both have built in QD swivels. MI SSK or BCM KMR gets my vote for a lightweight 15" hand guard.

six8
09-01-14, 16:04
The 15" Midwest SSK, which is their key mod version of the hand guard you mentioned, is 9.9oz and the MLOK is 10.1oz. Also they both have built in QD swivels. MI SSK or BCM KMR gets my vote for a lightweight 15" hand guard.
I concur. I have a 15" SSK on my .458 and it's light!

birdkiller
09-01-14, 16:44
I like the mounting a little better on the KMR, but that's not because I've had a problem with the SSK. KMR just seems more solid and has the anti-rotation tabs.

Junkie
09-01-14, 17:20
I like the Midwest Industries one a lot, their Lightweight M-Lok 15" weighs 9.3oz including the barrel nut: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266 and the price is significantly lower than some of the other options. I'm probably going to pick one up before too long.

Cobrasks
09-01-14, 18:43
I'm not seeing ALG Defense listed amongst anyone's choices above .

Under 8 ounces for the 13 inch rail , less then 10.5 ounces including the proprietary barrel nut .

They come with a quick-detach sling mount right where I like it .

ALG is a division of Giessele .

Here's an article about them : http://www.guns.com/2014/06/16/alg-defense-rolling-out-super-low-priced-m-lok-free-float-handguards/

.46caliber
09-01-14, 19:13
I'm not seeing ALG Defense listed amongst anyone's choices above .

Under 8 ounces for the 13 inch rail , less then 10.5 ounces including the proprietary barrel nut .

They come with a quick-detach sling mount right where I like it .

ALG is a division of Giessele .

Here's an article about them : http://www.guns.com/2014/06/16/alg-defense-rolling-out-super-low-priced-m-lok-free-float-handguards/

OP is looking for a 15", ALG EMRs are only 10, 12 and 13".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

PigNorton91
09-01-14, 19:18
Thanks for this! It's crazy how BCM is the only one under 10oz. I've got a 10" KMR and hopefully will be adding a 13" soon.

I recently bought a BCM upper with the KMR13 and a free bcg. The 13" is great! I held some 10" kmr's but I felt like the 13" was definitely the sweet spot.

El Cid
09-01-14, 20:28
OP is looking for a 15", ALG EMRs are only 10, 12 and 13".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I am looking for a 15" now, but will need this type of info on other lengths down the road. I was hoping for a single repository of all rails in all lengths.

Noveske NSR15 11.8oz
BCM KMR15 8.1oz
Centurion CMR14 14.5oz
MI Gen2 SS 15 10.9oz
Great list! Thanks!

The MI and SLR models that are lightest save ounces by eliminating most of the top rail. At first I wasn't considering them. But then I realized I only mount the light and iron front sight. Anything I add later could likely use the M-Lol or Keymod.

ggp2jz
09-01-14, 20:31
The 15" Rainier Arms is pretty damn light as well

El Cid
09-01-14, 20:37
The 15" Rainier Arms is pretty damn light as well

Their site says 12oz but doesn't say if that includes the bbl nut. For my rifle I don't see anyone weighing less than the BCM.

Uprange41
09-02-14, 01:07

The 15" MI Lightweight M-Lok is 9.3oz, the Lightweight Keymod (12" only) is 8.0oz. The 12" Lightweight M-Lok is 8.2oz, for reference in comparison to the 12" Keymod.

markm
09-02-14, 08:04
I'm looking to make my SPR/DMR rifle lighter.

BCM KMR rail. I don't know why anything else is being brought up. Nothing can compare.

We set my 14.5 up in an SPRish set up with Pappabears NF scope, and it was ridiculous. With a loaded bi pod we could double tap 500 yards, no sweat....

And we shot it out to 1050 yards as well.... beyond realistic effectiveness of Mk262 for the most part, but it will get there.

El Cid
09-02-14, 10:32
BCM KMR rail. I don't know why anything else is being brought up. Nothing can compare.

We set my 14.5 up in an SPRish set up with Pappabears NF scope, and it was ridiculous. With a loaded bi pod we could double tap 500 yards, no sweat....

And we shot it out to 1050 yards as well.... beyond realistic effectiveness of Mk262 for the most part, but it will get there.

Good to know since that is probably the one I'll end up with - though the MI is almost as light with 4 built-in QD sockets. My rifle is around 10lbs as it sits right now. I can hit anything I want within reason out to 600, but after that I run out of optic reference points.

But this thread is about more than just my rifle. I'd like to see a database of all handguards based upon weight, length, features (QD, Keymod, M-Lok, etc.), type of bbl nut, colors, etc.

Big A
09-02-14, 12:50

I would love to see the results in balistics gel of that if you could pull it off. I'm just curious as to what it would actually do.

markm
09-02-14, 13:03
I would love to see the results in balistics gel of that if you could pull it off. I'm just curious as to what it would actually do.

Well.. we don't have ballistic gel, but I have the large water jugs I've used in the past that will give a basic Idea of how much energy and frag a 77 can yield when dropping from the sky from above. ;)

six8
09-02-14, 15:22
Well.. we don't have ballistic gel, but I have the large water jugs I've used in the past that will give a basic Idea of how much energy and frag a 77 can yield when dropping from the sky from above. ;)
I wanna see that! you have a gopro right? [emoji16]

mpom
09-02-14, 16:12
"BCM KMR rail. I don't know why anything else is being brought up. Nothing can compare."

Main reason to bring up anything else is cost; there are options that are half the price and maybe 2 oz more. An example is the Ranier Arms Force 12". If you figure in the built in QD attachment points, the weight difference drops, as the KMR requires another bit of hardware to attach a sling.

GH41
09-02-14, 16:45
Putting QD sockets in aluminum is a bad idea to me. I don't trust them to hold in steel much less aluminum after a little wear. Another reason not to worry about a rail having them because the location is fixed by the manufacturer.

Alaskapopo
09-02-14, 17:49
AP customs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
09-02-14, 17:54
I wanna see that! you have a gopro right? [emoji16]

It's going to have to cool down a little first. Hauling water 1000 yards is painful to think about in the heat.

Warg
09-02-14, 18:21
AP customs

Light, but relatively fragile compared to, say, a KMR. I've two of these and the primary issue is amount of CF, or lack thereof, near the edge of the tube/screw holes that mount to the trunnion. Good for a competition, paper punching, and perhaps hunting. Wouldn't recommend for hard use, particularly for the negligible 0.3 oz weight savings vs the 15" KMR.

Junkie
09-02-14, 19:04
I am looking for a 15" now, but will need this type of info on other lengths down the road. I was hoping for a single repository of all rails in all lengths.

Great list! Thanks!

The MI and SLR models that are lightest save ounces by eliminating most of the top rail. At first I wasn't considering them. But then I realized I only mount the light and iron front sight. Anything I add later could likely use the M-Lol or Keymod.Additionally, it appears the top is even set up for mounting stuff - so if you want to put something else on, you can always attach a section of rail there. I suspect the top on the lightweight versions is more comfortable for your thumb if you grip in a way that puts it up there, too.

And we shot it out to 1050 yards as well.... beyond realistic effectiveness of Mk262 for the most part, but it will get there.14.5 shooting out to 1050? Wow, never would've guessed that. The bullet has to be dropping like a rock by there, subsonic too I suspect.

GH41
09-02-14, 20:20
AP customs

I have a serious CF fetish but the AP rails cannot compete with the KMR. AP is heavier without the nut than the KMR is with the nut and it's 3/4" shorter. With the AP rail you are forced to put a pic rail section on to add any accessory on. Key-mod is far superior than the slots on the AP rail.

ToeTagger6552
09-02-14, 20:51
Check out 556 Tactical rails. My 12.37 is 9.2 Oz.

TacticalMark
09-02-14, 20:54
Their site says 12oz but doesn't say if that includes the bbl nut. For my rifle I don't see anyone weighing less than the BCM.
The 12oz RA Evolution doesn't use a proprietary barrel nut. It uses bushings that go around a stock barrel nut. I believe the 12oz includes bushings, but not the weight of a factory barrel nut. The RA Force uses a proprietary barrel nut.

mpom
09-02-14, 21:05
GH41: With all due respect, if aluminum was not a reasonable choice for QD sockets, then IWC would have stopped using it for their QD sockets. I recall my Noveske/SWS handguard also had aluminum QD points. No doubt steel is stronger, but how strong does it need to be? Agree that if manufacturer's placement of QD points are not where one desires, then its of no use. One of the locations chosen by Ranier Arms coincides with my preference, so its a benefit.

six8
09-02-14, 21:26
The 12oz RA Evolution doesn't use a proprietary barrel nut. It uses bushings the go around a stock barrel nut. I believe the 12oz includes bushings, but not the weight of a factory barrel nut. The RA Force uses a proprietary barrel nut.
Sounds like a Samson

jesuvuah
09-02-14, 21:52
I have the KMR and the MI SSK. The weight difference is pretty negligible. Once mounted on the rifle you will not really notice. That being said, there is not doubt in my Mind that the KMR has better mounting, and honestly feels better in the hand. Then only reason I would go with the SSK would be if the budget would not allow the KMR

scooter22
09-02-14, 21:55
Sounds like a Samson

That's because it is a Samson ;)

El Cid
09-04-14, 09:38
FYI - It has been pointed out to me that the spreadsheet Travis provided a link for on page 1 is more up to date than I believed. There are tabs at the top for slick ("Brazilian"), quad rail, and Keymod.

falconman515
12-30-14, 20:26
Delete