PDA

View Full Version : Tinfoil time- Govt. Cell phone towers

Ready.Fire.Aim
09-03-14, 18:29
I thought the article below had an interesting supposition. It's not entirely far-fetched that our govt. may have potential established independent ELINT capability for cell phone signals.
Now where is my Reynolds Wrap?

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/02/cryptophone-500/

We’ve always been suspicious of folks being able to snoop in on phone conversations or intercept data, but there isn’t much we can do to prove that happening or to prevent the foul act. One secure phone seems to have changed that, however.

ESD America’s GSMK Cryptophone 500 (which is basically a Samsung Galaxy S3 with custom software and security) is device said to be used by many international and corporate organizations as well as private clients who demand more privacy and security. It was taken on a roadtrip from south Florida to North Carolina. Here’s the sales pitch for the phone to potential buyers:

A truly secure communication device must not only protect its communication links, it must also be able to withstand attacks against the device itself. To achieve this, all GSMK CryptoPhone secure mobile phones are based on a “hardened” operating system with granular security management and streamlined, security-optimized components and communication stacks. The hardened operating system reliably protects the device against outside attacks, thus offering true 360-degree protection when it counts most.

Said “hardened” operating system is Android, and it’s been loaded up with security apps and solutions for those who require more than your elementary PIN number.

Along the way, ESD was able to use a built-in function that allows them to monitor and identify the cellular towers it connects to — they found that they’d encountered 8 of them in that sizable drive, many of which sat upon government buildings. They weren’t able to pinpoint the origin of the interceptors, though considering those things are expensive to acquire and assemble we’re sure they had to come from some pretty authoritative entities.

WLS reports that a phone connected to one of these non-carrier towers could be subject to eavesdropping, as well as vulnerable to malware and/or spyware that can be loaded up remotely. It’s a scary thought, though we’re not sure any of it would be used maliciously if they’re of government origin.

We all know the NSA and Department of Homeland Security have the capability and permission to intercept calls to protect the country from potential terrorist threats, so it’s not at all surprising to learn such devices are in use. The scary part is the fact that you can randomly hop onto said networks at any time for seemingly no reason.

It’s important to note that any phone is susceptible to hopping onto these networks, and not just Android phones like WLS suggests. Android isn’t some security nightmare — it actually seems to be a hero here, as we’re sure no iPhone or Windows Phone has the capability to detect fake towers like the Cryptophone 500 did.

thopkins22
09-03-14, 18:58
as we’re sure no iPhone or Windows Phone has the capability to detect fake towers like the Cryptophone 500 did.

Sure they can. Take an iPhone and put custom software on it like was put on the droid, and it'll be capable of telling you that info...so can a windows phone or any other phone that has brains. I'd also like some proof that these are government towers. I'm not saying they don't have towers...I'm just saying it doesn't make sense, since they're literally set up to have anything they want from the carriers at a few key strokes.

It's my understanding that it doesn't really matter what phone you're using unless you genuinely have both parties on encrypted phones etc.... If the government wants to listen, they'll just pull it straight from Verizon or AT&T, or whoever you use.

I might be paranoid enough to want some super duper spy phone...but none of my friends are.

montanadave
09-03-14, 18:58
And folks thought Paulie was paranoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-jhmkcOGAA

Moose-Knuckle
09-03-14, 20:46
If the government wants to listen, they'll just pull it straight from Verizon or AT&T, or whoever you use.

Hah, now that's just tinfoil!

Room 641A is a telecommunication interception facility operated by AT&T for the NSA.

http://archive.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/04/70619
http://www.wired.com/2013/06/nsa-whistleblower-klein/

As an industry professional told me back in the 90's before the internet really caught on and way before smart phones; "We're so far past Big Brother it's not even funny".

scooter22
09-03-14, 20:52
Whatever. We'll all be Tom Cruise in Minority Report soon.