PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Mis-adventure

wedgehead30
09-19-06, 12:28
Once fired Lake City 97 brass, 77 grain Sierra HP-BT Match bullet and 23.8 grains of Varget.................23 cents.

Your first five rounds into a sub one inch group at 50 yards with an Eotech and a 14.5 inch carbine 1/7 twist barrel.........Acceptable.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8919/targetia6.jpg

Starting the second set of five rounds and listening to the hammer go "click" on a primerless round.......PRICLESS !!!!!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3279/casegj0.jpg

Suffice to say I was pretty excited when I looked through the spotting scope and saw my first five rounds were neatly clustered on the target. Feeling pretty full of myself and straining my arm patting myself on the back. I started my second five rounds with a resounding "click". Ejected the round and discovered that the case was neatly packed with powder but no primer. After examination at home......Yep you guessed it , loose primer pocket. One I obviously missed during reloading. I'm guessing that it came out under recoil because I'm pretty good about checking rounds while loading the magazine.

Lessons reinforced:

Turn off the Browns game, they're gonna lose anyway and pay closer attention while reloading. :(

Military ammo has staked primers for a reason.

My wife's right, I'm not perfect........yet :)

But I can't complain. Even a bad day at the range beats a good day at work!

Wedge
:D

Submariner
09-19-06, 12:54
I'm beginning to think that the Sinclair hand primer tool is great for really important loads (all of them?). You can feel the resistance (or lack of it) with each primer seated. It slows the process appreciably, especially when used to using a Dillon. Better that, though, than a "Click" when you expect to hear a "Bang". "Did we cover transitions?"

Oh, yeah, like M4arc says, "Turn off your TV." 50,000 psi isn't anything to screw with.;)

UVvis
09-19-06, 15:08
Just a side question, but I can't tell real well with the lighting, but now much crimp are you using?

jmart
09-19-06, 15:22
Once fired Lake City 97 brass, 77 grain Sierra HP-BT Match bullet and 23.8 grains of Varget.................23 cents.

Your first five rounds into a sub one inch group at 50 yards with an Eotech and a 14.5 inch carbine 1/7 twist barrel.........Acceptable.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8919/targetia6.jpg

Starting the second set of five rounds and listening to the hammer go "click" on a primerless round.......PRICLESS !!!!!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3279/casegj0.jpg

Suffice to say I was pretty excited when I looked through the spotting scope and saw my first five rounds were neatly clustered on the target. Feeling pretty full of myself and straining my arm patting myself on the back. I started my second five rounds with a resounding "click". Ejected the round and discovered that the case was neatly packed with powder but no primer. After examination at home......Yep you guessed it , loose primer pocket. One I obviously missed during reloading. I'm guessing that it came out under recoil because I'm pretty good about checking rounds while loading the magazine.

Lessons reinforced:

Turn off the Browns game, they're gonna lose anyway and pay closer attention while reloading. :(

Military ammo has staked primers for a reason.

My wife's right, I'm not perfect........yet :)

But I can't complain. Even a bad day at the range beats a good day at work!

Wedge

Did you find the primer in either the lower or in the mag?

wedgehead30
09-19-06, 21:00
I'm beginning to think that the Sinclair hand primer tool is great for really important loads (all of them?).

As much as I hate to admit it. All of these rounds were hand primed. I don't know how this one got past me. Well maybe the browns / saints game had something to do with it.:( 50,000 psi is not something to take lightly. I should know better. I'll chalk this one up to experience and hopefully remember the lesson.

Just a side question, but I can't tell real well with the lighting, but now much crimp are you using?

I've been using a Lee factory crimp die, adjusted for a medium crimp. In the picture it looks much more severe than it really is. I've had real good luck with the Lee crimp die.

Did you find the primer in either the lower or in the mag?

No, I didn't which is very unusual. You would think it would show up in one or the other. Perhaps when I cleared the gun it fell out. I didn't think to look around for it at the time.

Wedge

macman37
09-19-06, 21:11
Better than the guy I saw at the range in the early 80s. (Maplegrove for you SE MI'ers)

He was shooting an AR and it was one of the first ones I'd seen in person. I listened to him shoot as I was shooting my M1 carbine. "pop ... pop ... pop ... WHAM!"

He'd been drinking while reloading, and had overfilled the case. Fortunately it didn't Kaboom on him.

Submariner
09-20-06, 06:46
Where was the powder?

Nitrox
09-20-06, 10:09
That is a pretty deep crimp for an uncanalured projectile.

wedgehead30
09-20-06, 10:25
Where was the powder?

You can't tell in the picture, but it's still packed in the case.

Wedge

Submariner
09-20-06, 11:09
You can't tell in the picture, but it's still packed in the case.

Wedge

At least it wasn't down in the action (along with the primer). BTDT.:(

UVvis
09-20-06, 15:03
That is one of the fun things about varget and heavy bullets. The powder is large enough and usually compressed that it will not leak out of a small flashhole.

Wedgehead, the camera might be making an illusion, but it does look to me that the crimp is a bit heavy. I'd suggest backing off on the crimp a little. If you have enough neck tension, you need very little crimp, if any. Make sure the bullet isn't moving to much from recoil in the magazine, or from chambering. I have had better luck with lighter crimps in general.