PDA

View Full Version : Study: Since 2000, NC Net Job Growth Went Entirely To Immigrants(legal & illegal)....

Denali
09-04-14, 18:06
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/02/Study-Net-Job-Growth-in-NC-Since-2000-Went-to-Immigrants

The net increase in the number of employed working-age adults in North Carolina has gone entirely to legal and illegal immigrants since 2000, according to an analysis of government data conducted by the Center for Immigration Studies.
According to the limited immigration group, while the “native” working age (16-65 years old) North Carolina population has increased by 61 percent since 2000, the share of “natives” in that state’s work force has declined.
“The total number of working-age (16 to 65) immigrants (legal and illegal) holding a job in North Carolina increased by 313,000 from the first quarter of 2000 to the first quarter of 2014, while the number of working-age natives with a job declined by 32,000 over the same time,” the report reads, explaining that in the past 14 years has seen the labor-force participation of natives in North Carolina in decline.

It can not be made any plainer for you, this should be an absolute scandal...

wildcard600
09-04-14, 20:04
NC'ers shouldn't have been so lazy and unambitious to go to college and get a STEM degree or learn a labor skill and they wouldn't have had all those jobs stolen from them by immigrants. They must have all been too busy striking for $15 MW.

:rolleyes:

Belmont31R
09-04-14, 22:51
NC'ers shouldn't have been so lazy and unambitious to go to college and get a STEM degree or learn a labor skill and they wouldn't have had all those jobs stolen from them by immigrants. They must have all been too busy striking for $15 MW.

Ive said it here many times but immigrants aren't just taking field jobs. I bet these same "protestors" want amnesty and other dumb shit. Immigration is being used as a wage suppression tool by both the DNC and RNC.

7.62WildBill
09-04-14, 23:04
When I started building boats in NC twenty years ago, there were no Mexicans in the workforce.

Now, they make up 30-40% of it, just my rough guess.

Denali
09-05-14, 00:20
When I started building boats in NC twenty years ago, there were no Mexicans in the workforce.

Now, they make up 30-40% of it, just my rough guess.

And very likely, 2/3's of them are entirely illegal....

chuckman
09-05-14, 04:25

Only part of the equation. Much of the industry we had fizzled up (agriculture/tobacco) or packed up and left (textiles/furniture-making). People here are not going to pick cucumbers/make pickles for $4 an hour.

The area in which I live there are three large, major universities, which employ a large number of immigrants in the academic/research area. Not all the immigrants are picking tobacco or painting houses.

wildcard600
09-05-14, 07:23
Ive said it here many times but immigrants aren't just taking field jobs. I bet these same "protestors" want amnesty and other dumb shit. Immigration is being used as a wage suppression tool by both the DNC and RNC.

Only part of the equation. Much of the industry we had fizzled up (agriculture/tobacco) or packed up and left (textiles/furniture-making). People here are not going to pick cucumbers/make pickles for $4 an hour.

The area in which I live there are three large, major universities, which employ a large number of immigrants in the academic/research area. Not all the immigrants are picking tobacco or painting houses.

I agree. Have you been through the IT dept of any major company in the past 10-15 years ? Most of the people working there will have been "imported" from India and other places where colleges are cheap and the grads will work for much less than an American IT worker would want.

Anyone who doesn't think there is a serious problem with wage suppression across the board in the country needs to open their eyes.

But hey, those companies don't have any obligation to share their immense profits with their workers. People can always look for a new job or go back to school if they aren't happy.... right ? :p

Crow Hunter
09-05-14, 07:39

Hah!

Those jobs would have been taken by the legal immigrants here on H1B visas in an effort to drive down the wages of engineers.

That is why ****erberg and all his ilk are pushing for more H1B visas to "spur innovation". Yeah, right. You mean get you more profit because you can employ 3 Indian/Chinese engineers for the price of one American one because they are willing to work 12 hrs/day for less pay and live 4 people in a 2 bedroom apartment and send all their money back to their families in their home country and then when their Visa expires, go back home and startup a knock off company.

But hey.

They will do the work that Americans won't do.....for the pay being offered.

I just don't understand why the American public doesn't see this. The more people in the country, the more competition for jobs, the lower EVERYONE'S wages will be and the richer the politicians and business owners.:mad:

The_War_Wagon
09-05-14, 07:43

OR, it's an asymmetrical WAR that's been going on since BEFORE 9/11... :mad:

wildcard600
09-05-14, 08:58
Hah!

Those jobs would have been taken by the legal immigrants here on H1B visas in an effort to drive down the wages of engineers.

That is why ****erberg and all his ilk are pushing for more H1B visas to "spur innovation". Yeah, right. You mean get you more profit because you can employ 3 Indian/Chinese engineers for the price of one American one because they are willing to work 12 hrs/day for less pay and live 4 people in a 2 bedroom apartment and send all their money back to their families in their home country and then when their Visa expires, go back home and startup a knock off company.

But hey.

They will do the work that Americans won't do.....for the pay being offered.

I just don't understand why the American public doesn't see this. The more people in the country, the more competition for jobs, the lower EVERYONE'S wages will be and the richer the politicians and business owners.:mad:

I think some are in denial, some are too shortsighted to realize the screwgie that is coming for thier job soon, and some just dont give a rusty poop cause they are on the .gov dole.

austinN4
09-05-14, 10:05
They will do the work that Americans won't do.....
This is exactly right, but not for the reason you espouse, based on my own experience. When I left corporate life to start my own business, I spent 60 to 80 hours per week working directly with or for my clients not counting the hours involved in the weekly travel of 5 to 6 days per week. And the people that worked with me did the same.

I can only relate to my own experience, but in that experience I found few US-born applicants willing to travel that much and work that hard and long, and also be sufficiently educated in basic reading, writing and math, and have decent communication skills necessary for the job. When I found one, they got paid very, very well.

Call me jaded, but my own experience taught me that the typical US-born applicant for my business was poorly educated, lacked motivation, and was spoiled rotten, and expected high pay for not a lot of quality work.

And for the record, I did not hire any illegals or H1B's. But I had to search long and hard for the people I did hire. Luckily, I did not require that large of a staff.

I know some of you won't like reading this, but this was my experience and I am sticking to it! Maybe things have change in the 10 years since I retired, but I doubt it.

7.62WildBill
09-05-14, 10:24
In our yacht construction industry, Mexicans are taking jobs as painters, fiberglass laminators, and even carpenters. They are willing to work for less, since they are mostly illegal immigrants and live 12 to a single wide trailer. The majority of them have children as soon as they get here. The Latin population in NC has increased about 150% in the past two decades. Some counties in the eastern part of the state have seen nearly a 300% increase.

This doesn't mean the companies are making more money. The weak economy has materials costs jumping wildly while demand for boats is dropping. About 60% of custom boat builders in NC went out of business in the last 7 years. Using cheaper labor is the only way most companies can keep the doors open.

wildcard600
09-05-14, 10:32
This is exactly right, but not for the reason you espouse, based on my own experience. When I left corporate life to start my own business, I spent 60 to 80 hours per week working directly with or for my clients not counting the hours involved in the weekly travel of 5 to 6 days per week. And the people that worked with me did the same.

I can only relate to my own experience, but in that experience I found few US-born applicants willing to travel that much and work that hard and long, and also be sufficiently educated in basic reading, writing and math, and have decent communication skills necessary for the job. When I found one, they got paid very, very well.

Call me jaded, but my own experience taught me that the typical US-born applicant for my business was poorly educated, lacked motivation, and was spoiled rotten, and expected high pay for not a lot of quality work.

And for the record, I did not hire any illegals or H1B's. But I had to search long and hard for the people I did hire. Luckily, I did not require that large of a staff.

I know some of you won't like reading this, but this was my experience and I am sticking to it! Maybe things have change in the 10 years since I retired, but I doubt it.

can you define "very, very well" ? As much as you might not agree with it, many people dont want to devote thier lives to thier employer unless the pay is very good.

i have almost a sixty hour work week counting commute and i can tell you its not worth what i'm getting paid. life is far too short and precious to waste it making someone else rich. IMO

austinN4
09-05-14, 10:54
i have almost a sixty hour work week counting commute and i can tell you its not worth what i'm getting paid.
I can fully understand and appreciate that. As to your question, 20 years ago when I started the business it would have been into 6 figures with additional bonus opportunity.

As much as you might not agree with it, many people dont want to devote thier lives to thier employer unless the pay is very good.
I fully agree with that. I knew when I started the company that I had sold my soul to the business. But I fould most applicants wanted the pay but not the work.

wildcard600
09-05-14, 11:01
I can fully understand and appreciate that. As to your question, 20 years ago when I started the business it would have been into 6 figures with additional bonus opportunity.

I fully agree with that. I knew when I started the company that I had sold my soul to the business. But I fould most applicants wanted the pay but not the work.

that sounds like fair compensation, especially considering the difference 20 years of inflation and funny money has done to the value of the dollar.

These days it seems like companies want that level of commitment but are willing to pay less than half that.

austinN4
09-05-14, 11:03
These days it seems like companies want that level of commitment but are willing to pay less than half that.
Why do you think I started my own business? :cool:

7.62WildBill
09-05-14, 11:03
From my experience, the stereotype that immigrants are "harder workers" than Americans is bullshit. But they are willing to work for less.

And I am a small business owner as well.

TMS951
09-05-14, 12:40

A scandal against whom?

My take away here is NC companies are employing Many immigrants. Is that because white people won't do the work? Is it because the companies employing the immigrants are racist and don't like whites? I find it very hard to believe the immigrants are better candidates for the jobs, but who knows.

Here is what I do know, they are being employed, their employer is the bad guy in my eyes.

I own a business, I won't take an application from any one who can not speak clear fluent english. It is a pretty simple and straight forward skill set to require. Interestingly enough it has not only made it so I have not been had a single hispanic meet my requirement, it has also produced a few american born blacks and one white from not meeting my simple need in an employee.

Now there is no discrimination here. I require a skill set in my employes, that shill set english language proficiency. There is not a job in our country where that can not be rightly required of a worker, if for nothing else than being able to communicate to each other and management. There for every employer in this country should be able to not hire these people. If they do hire them, they are part of the problem.

I am not part of the problem.

Additionally any time I hire a service to do work on my house or around it, I ask one simple and straight forward question: Do all of your employees speak english as a first language? If not, they are not getting the job.

Another thing to consider is do you patronize establishments that employ illegal immigrants? Because if you do, you are paying their wage.

If we didn't have jobs for illegals here there would be no reason for them to want to be here.

Crow Hunter
09-05-14, 12:43
If we didn't have jobs for illegals here there would be no reason for them to want to be here.

+10000000000

Border enforcement without incentive reduction is a waste of resources.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-05-14, 15:03

Drives me nuts when people talk about how Americans won't pick that or paint this or do some job so we need these illegal immigrants- and then they want to make them citizens. Uhm, I thought Americans won't do those jobs? Make them Americans and they'll have access to all the programs (or at least more programs) and won't do these crappy jobs for these wages. Yes, Americans won't do these jobs for these wages, which is why if Americans did them they would get paid more. Of course, the price of food would go up- but it is being illegally subsidized right now.

That leads to the second issue. Illegal immigrants reduce lower-class incomes. I know there are all kinds of studies that say it isn't true, but I'll b!tch slap any economist that says that an overs supply of something doesn't depress its price. But the real issue is this new ruckus over 'income inequality'. The left has given up saying that Capitalism doesn't work and instead has taken the tack that the proceeds aren't 'fairly' distributed. Distributed to whom? We keep importing a small third world country every decade. Of course there are poor people- we keep adding more of them, duh. Restrict the addition of poor people to the unskilled labor pool and their wages will eventually rise.

Crow Hunter
09-05-14, 15:20
Restrict the addition of poor people to the unskilled labor pool and their wages will eventually rise.

But then they will have more money, decide THEY don't want to give THEIR money to the poor for sitting around on their rears doing nothing and stop voting Democrat.

SteyrAUG
09-05-14, 17:29
So long as they were hired on "merit" I have no problem with LEGAL immigrants, getting the jobs. I would prefer of course for naturalized citizens and US citizens to get priority consideration, but I have very little objection to "legal" immigrants. Illegals on the other hand should all be arrested upon detection, sentenced to a one year work camp building a wall on the southern border and then deported.

If we arrested even half the illegals currently in this country and fined employers who hired them we'd have a Gulf to Pacific security wall that would amaze even Israel.

chuckman
09-06-14, 07:49
When we think immigrants, legal immigrants, we think the techies...Indians, Pakis, Chinese. A big "problem" in my field are Canadians. We have a metric shit-ton of Canadian nurses, and a surplus of American nurses who are looking for work (in spite of a continuing nursing shortage). I like just about every Canadian I have met, and many are more American that many Americans I know, but it is an issue.

austinN4
09-06-14, 08:14
.........., and a surplus of American nurses who are looking for work (in spite of a continuing nursing shortage).
This sentence does not compute for me. If we have a nursing shortage, why can't out of work US nurses get work? Or is it that the Canadian nurses are better somehow?

........, and many are more American that many Americans I know, but it is an issue.
Again, I am having trouble understanding this. How is it that Canadians are "more American" than many Americans you know? Also, when you say Canadian and American, I assume you mean Canadian-born and American-born, no?

TAZ
09-06-14, 08:58
I have stated this in many threads. The solution to the illegal immigration issue and the welfare state are linked. Eliminate the perks and the problem goes away to a very large degree. You will always have someone try to sneak into the country. Be they drug runners or some desperate individual trying to get away from some shithole. Without any job opportunities or benefits the numbers of the latter would dwindle to a manageable level. The criminal will be a criminal. Internally, of you stopped giving people free shit all the time they would need to get a job or go the criminal route.

No bennies to illegals = more jobs available. No bennies for the FSA = labor force

chuckman
09-06-14, 11:04
This sentence does not compute for me. If we have a nursing shortage, why can't out of work US nurses get work? Or is it that the Canadian nurses are better somehow?

Again, I am having trouble understanding this. How is it that Canadians are "more American" than many Americans you know? Also, when you say Canadian and American, I assume you mean Canadian-born and American-born, no?

The trend over the past few years is for nursing units to not staff to 100%, along with a marginal economy (hospitals saving money) and potential Obamacare impacts on funding. I have yet to work in a unit that was staffed 100% in spite of carrying open positions.

austinN4
09-06-14, 11:56
The trend over the past few years is for nursing units to not staff to 100%, along with a marginal economy (hospitals saving money) and potential Obamacare impacts on funding. I have yet to work in a unit that was staffed 100% in spite of carrying open positions.
Still doesn't tell me why Canadians are hires and not Americans. Are Canadians more qualified? I doubt they work for less money.

chuckman
09-06-14, 12:01
Still doesn't tell me why Canadians are hires and not Americans. Are Canadians more qualified? I doubt they work for less money.

I don't know that they hired any faster than anyone else but their visa's requires them to either have a job or a job offer when they come. The hourly rate is the same. Nursing schools are churning out nurses at the rate they have been.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-06-14, 12:16
The nursing stats seem to me to be doctored. I still don't get it.

chuckman
09-06-14, 17:16
The nursing stats seem to me to be doctored. I still don't get it.

Which part? It is a conundrum. If everyone with a nursing license worked clinically, there would be no shortage. Nurses work for a couple years then go back to school, admin, research, teaching, project management, etc. The schools churn out nurses, but a lot of folks either are not hiring or are hiring minimal staff. I have worked a skeleton staff in many of my jobs, with jobs posted but unfilled. The Canadians have a job; otherwise, they could not fulfill the requirements of their visas and have to go back home.

Belmont31R
09-08-14, 01:35
Every nursing school even semi-local is at capacity, and theres often a waiting list of 2 years. Also, LVN's are becoming less popular. I know of at least 1 if not 2 hospital chains that have stopped hiring LVN's for nursing staff.

The units my wife has worked at ALWAYS operated on the bare minimum amount of staff though. She'd do a 12 hour shift, and not even have 5 minutes the entire time to take a break. They had to hire contract nurses, and they are hit or miss. Yet they don't want the long term commitment of hiring more full time people. We don't understand it but I guess theres some rhyme or reason to it.