PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the jungle is TIRING !

WillBrink
09-05-14, 11:57
I spent all day hiking in the jungle in Panama in the El Valle area, which is beautiful area around an extinct volcano. I'm in good condition, but no hiking/rucking beast by any means. Got drenched in heavy rain* several times. Between the heat, the unstable/uneven/slippery landscape (which does not allow your brain to rest for a second), and being wet, and carrying a light pack (maybe 20-25lbs), I was beat down like I have rarely experienced after 5 hours of that. I even stopped and swam under a water fall. Was f-ing awesome and amazing. I didn't feel tired while in the jungle, but once I walked out, it hit my like a ton of bricks had just been added to my pack and the 20 min walk back to the little hostile quite challenging. I almost stopped and took a nap by the side of the road I was do damn tired, but more rain was coming so I kept moving.

Did my best to stay hydrated of course, but at some point sweat exceeds your ability to replace it and I'd say I hit that point around hour 3-4. I never got lost, but had compass, two form of communication** and a basic map in case I did. It's not the deepest jungle that exists in Panama, but were one get lost, you'd be very sorry and it could take you a few days or more to get out. Break an ankle, etc, bad mojo. There's no med flight, etc coming to get you....There are snakes and other biters, but I didn't see any but for one small snake who had no interest in me. There are even big cats in the jungles of Panama, but they are rare and generally have no interest in humans. I admit, would have been really cool to see a few paw prints in the mud or something.

Yes, I wish I had am M4 slung over my shoulder, and yes, at times I had visions of being in Borneo during WWII and such*, but a jungle fighter I am not. Still, even the hint of it and the conditions faced by those who did, left me on awe.

The US mil used to do jungle training in Panama (I cans see why now!) when there was a big US mil presence in Panama, not sure if that's still done today with SOF and such. Anyone do their jungle training in Panama? Some info I found:

http://www.junglefighter.panamanow.net/

If not Panama, what are major jungle training centers for US mil?

Didn't bring cable for my camera so will be a while until i can upload some pics.

* = and I mean heavy as only a tropical jungle can produce

** = cell phone with international plan and another with local plan, stopping occasionally to check bearings and or make sure I had some signal

*** = with the thought of something like "I can't believe those poor SOBs stayed in places like this for weeks on end and had to fight in it" etc.

markm
09-05-14, 12:10
You forgot to sing Creedence...

Makes jungle operations much easier.

WillBrink
09-05-14, 12:14
You forgot to sing Creedence...

Makes jungle operations much easier.

Next time! Any other jungle survival tips? :cool:

markm
09-05-14, 12:20
I'm picturing Lt Dan... "Keep your feet dry, and don't do anything stupid" ;)

GTF425
09-05-14, 12:35
25th ID runs a Jungle Expert School in Hawaii. As far as I know, it's currently only open to personnel assigned to the 25th at Schofield, unsure if it's open to the GPF yet. We've been deploying SOF in the Philippines for...a hot minute. I'm also sure that the men in 1st and 7th Group regularly train in the jungle, but that's their business.

Never been in the jungle myself, and not particularly wanting to. I've heard enough stories about Vietnam from my grandfather to know that it sucks.

WillBrink
09-05-14, 12:45
I'm picturing Lt Dan... "Keep your feet dry, and don't do anything stupid" ;)

I was unable to follow that one. But, it was only a day, so low chance of bad things happening, like jungle rot, etc. I tell you, I have no idea how you'd really be able to keep your feet dry in such a place, even by sweat alone. Water proof boots would of course trap moister inside, so seems lose lose. I can see of course keeping some dry socks in a water proof bag and such to help, but keeping feet dry sounds damn near impossible from my limited experience. Hiking shoes I was wearing were Gortex protected, but that only delayed feet getting wet at best.

WillBrink
09-05-14, 12:51
25th ID runs a Jungle Expert School in Hawaii. As far as I know, it's currently only open to personnel assigned to the 25th at Schofield, unsure if it's open to the GPF yet. We've been deploying SOF in the Philippines for...a hot minute. I'm also sure that the men in 1st and 7th Group regularly train in the jungle, but that's their business.

Never been in the jungle myself, and not particularly wanting to. I've heard enough stories about Vietnam from my grandfather to know that it sucks.

If you're in there for days or weeks, there's traps set, and people waiting to catch you in an abush and do very bad things to you, that's suck squared no doubt. I did have to fight a creepy crawly on my leg, but he was no match for my fixed blade :neo:

On a more serious note, a place you would not want go hiking in the jungle in Panama is on the Panama Columbia border. That's an area where you'd best be armed and best know what you're doing and best not be alone. There's some serious folk working in that area both good guys and bad. Rumor has it we may have an "adviser" or two on their some place, but is only rumor...

montanadave
09-05-14, 13:07
I think you're ready to submit your application for Discovery Channel's Naked and Afraid.

Although, admittedly, I have no desire to see you naked.

Doc Safari
09-05-14, 13:28
Next time! Any other jungle survival tips? :cool:

A serious one: one of my college profs was a real world traveler and anthropologist.

His advice: "If you're lost in the jungle, watch the monkeys. Whatever they eat, you can eat."

WillBrink
09-05-14, 13:38
I think you're ready to submit your application for Discovery Channel's Naked and Afraid.

Although, admittedly, I have no desire to see you naked.

And I have no desire to be naked in some jungle for my 15 minutes.

WillBrink
09-05-14, 13:38
A serious one: one of my college profs was a real world traveler and anthropologist.

His advice: "If you're lost in the jungle, watch the monkeys. Whatever they eat, you can eat."

I'd eat the monkeys...

ABNAK
09-05-14, 14:08
I spent 3 years down there in an Army infantry unit back in the 80's. I've never been to the Sandbox, so can't comment on that environment. I CAN say with experience that a tropical jungle is a mighty inhospitable place. The humidity is what gets you the most, no matter how good of shape you're in (obviously being in good shape helps but is not a panacea). When we would go to the "field" I didn't stop sweating for the entire time, except at night sometimes if we weren't actively doing something. If anyone remembers the old OD slant-pocket jungle fatigues and what they looked like new (dark green), well that is what my well-worn ones looked like the entire time in the "field".....dark green from being constantly soaked in sweat! After 5 or so days in the jungle my uniform had easily visible salt rings soaked through when they dried out. :bad:

As you stated, the jungle around El Valle isn't as thick as other parts of Panama. The closer you get to the Canal the thicker it gets. The area up near where you are is actually pretty nice, save for the climate. I'm sure you've seen pine trees, which struck me as odd in the tropics. Rio Hato isn't too far from El Valle so you probably know what I'm talking about.

Darien, near the Colombian border, is perhaps the thickest jungle on the isthmus (never went to that AO myself although one of our line companies did once). As you stated, it's also dangerous due to drug gangs. However, the jungle in that area is sufficiently thick to make it the only break in the Inter-American Highway as it traverses through Panama.

In January of 2013 my wife and I took a vacation there. I wanted to see my old stomping grounds from so long ago. She was looking out the window of our minivan and commented that she'd like to take one of those "jungle tours". I looked at her and said "I did my jungle tour. No thanks!" She has no idea.....(but I do!)

I wanna take another vacation down there in a few years. Mainly waiting for the new international airport in Rio Hato to open up to more airlines and thus more flight choices. We'll have to hook up if you're still ex-patting down there then.

WillBrink
09-05-14, 14:27
I spent 3 years down there in an Army infantry unit back in the 80's. I've never been to the Sandbox, so can't comment on that environment. I CAN say with experience that a tropical jungle is a mighty inhospitable place. The humidity is what gets you the most, no matter how good of shape you're in (obviously being in good shape helps but is not a panacea). When we would go to the "field" I didn't stop sweating for the entire time, except at night sometimes if we weren't actively doing something. If anyone remembers the old OD slant-pocket jungle fatigues and what they looked like new (dark green), well that is what my well-worn ones looked like the entire time in the "field".....dark green from being constantly soaked in sweat! After 5 or so days in the jungle my uniform had easily visible salt rings soaked through when they dried out. :bad:

As you stated, the jungle around El Valle isn't as thick as other parts of Panama. The closer you get to the Canal the thicker it gets. The area up near where you are is actually pretty nice, save for the climate. I'm sure you've seen pine trees, which struck me as odd in the tropics. Rio Hato isn't too far from El Valle so you probably know what I'm talking about.

Darien, near the Colombian border, is perhaps the thickest jungle on the isthmus (never went to that AO myself although one of our line companies did once). As you stated, it's also dangerous due to drug gangs. However, the jungle in that area is sufficiently thick to make it the only break in the Inter-American Highway as it traverses through Panama.

In January of 2013 my wife and I took a vacation there. I wanted to see my old stomping grounds from so long ago. She was looking out the window of our minivan and commented that she'd like to take one of those "jungle tours". I looked at her and said "I did my jungle tour. No thanks!" She has no idea.....(but I do!)

I wanna take another vacation down there in a few years. Mainly waiting for the new international airport in Rio Hato to open up to more airlines and thus more flight choices. We'll have to hook up if you're still ex-patting down there then.

Wait a few years?! I believe Rio Hato already has some flights coming in. Direct flight via Copa out of most major, and a few minor, airports. 5 days in the jungle would not be on my "to do" list I can say, unless it was under the "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it" approach, as my mother (and likely your CO) used to say.

I assumed it rained every day on you? Sit under a pancho and dream of dry sheets and beer then? Your instincts (which I bet are still imbedded into your primal brain for that environment) make it very clear to you, you screw up here, you're in deep sh&%. Never had such a sensation that strong hiking through various woods and forests in the US for example.

The issue with that area was not that the jungle is the thickest compared to the areas you mentioned, but the ground nothing but different sized rocks (being volcanic), mostly covered in wet moss or other slippery goo, and on a sharp angle, which was very hard on the muscle of the lower legs. My ankles, shins, and calves and lower back are sore today. I aint 25 any more, that's clear.

PS, one thing that baffled me was, where are the mosquitos? I would think that would be ground zero for them, I had my repellent ready go, didn't see one damn mosquito the entire two days i in there. I even asked the locals, and they just smiled and shrugged. Typical Panamanians :)

ABNAK
09-05-14, 16:03
Wait a few years?! I believe Rio Hato already has some flights coming in. Direct flight via Copa out of most major, and a few minor, airports. 5 days in the jungle would not be on my "to do" list I can say, unless it was under the "you don't have to like it, you just have to do it" approach, as my mother (and likely your CO) used to say.

I assumed it rained every day on you? Sit under a pancho and dream of dry sheets and beer then? Your instincts (which I bet are still imbedded into your primal brain for that environment) make it very clear to you, you screw up here, you're in deep sh&%. Never had such a sensation that strong hiking through various woods and forests in the US for example.

The issue with that area was not that the jungle is the thickest compared to the areas you mentioned, but the ground nothing but different sized rocks (being volcanic), mostly covered in wet moss or other slippery goo, and on a sharp angle, which was very hard on the muscle of the lower legs. My ankles, shins, and calves and lower back are sore today. I aint 25 any more, that's clear.

PS, one thing that baffled me was, where are the mosquitos? I would think that would be ground zero for them, I had my repellent ready go, didn't see one damn mosquito the entire two days i in there. I even asked the locals, and they just smiled and shrugged. Typical Panamanians :)

Rainy season it rained every day and still *usually* did during the dry season. Yeah, you'd slink under something if you could but that wasn't always on the Army's agenda! Ponchos were only somewhat useful (mostly for making a hooch to sleep under) as you'd still end up getting "wet", but from sweat. The humidity underneath that nylon poncho zoomed past the environment's high humidity!

I checked flights a couple months ago and Copa was flying into Scarlett Martinez IAP (Rio Hato) but were coming from Torrijos, i.e. not direct from the States. I even spoke to a customer service rep who said that (as of then) they didn't have plans for direct flights from the U.S. A Canadian charter airline was flying direct but I'm not flying to Canada from TN and then to Panama. Kind of removes the convenience of flying right into Rio Hato. If you know of something different PM me as I'm all ears! There is a new RIU all-inclusive resort on Playa Blanca that has my interest.

As far as the mosquitos in the El Valle neck of the woods I don't know. In the thicker jungle they make a noise louder than those here in the USA......kind of like a Cessna flying past compared to a C-130!

WillBrink
09-05-14, 16:54
Rainy season it rained every day and still *usually* did during the dry season. Yeah, you'd slink under something if you could but that wasn't always on the Army's agenda! Ponchos were only somewhat useful (mostly for making a hooch to sleep under) as you'd still end up getting "wet", but from sweat. The humidity underneath that nylon poncho zoomed past the environment's high humidity!

I checked flights a couple months ago and Copa was flying into Scarlett Martinez IAP (Rio Hato) but were coming from Torrijos, i.e. not direct from the States. I even spoke to a customer service rep who said that (as of then) they didn't have plans for direct flights from the U.S. A Canadian charter airline was flying direct but I'm not flying to Canada from TN and then to Panama. Kind of removes the convenience of flying right into Rio Hato. If you know of something different PM me as I'm all ears! There is a new RIU all-inclusive resort on Playa Blanca that has my interest.

As far as the mosquitos in the El Valle neck of the woods I don't know. In the thicker jungle they make a noise louder than those here in the USA......kind of like a Cessna flying past compared to a C-130!

My friend has a place he rents in the Founders area of Playa Blanca I can hook you up with and get the friend rate. PM me for contact if interested. RIU just opened, so I have no reports on that. If you stay in the Founders building, you can buy an all inclusive pass for food, etc, that still saves $$$. At the Founders, you still have access to the worlds second largest swimming pool (usually) and the beach and such. As it has a full kitchen, I usually make breakfast and lunch and such in the apt, and eat dinner out.

Minus direct flights to Rio Hato, rent a car from Panama City, 90 mins or so later, GTG. There's also cheap bus from Albrook mall, etc.

WillBrink
09-17-14, 15:33
Finally got some pics up. More pics here if interested:

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/library/El%20Vella%20Panama?sort=3&page=1

Took a while, but here's some pics:

I took a swim here:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06457_zps6c069e85.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06457_zps6c069e85.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06451_zpscfea8020.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06451_zpscfea8020.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06445_zps8027b51d.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06445_zps8027b51d.jpg.html)

ABNAK
09-17-14, 15:38
Panama is indeed very beautiful in places, such as the ones you showed above. Not sure I'd have been humping through the jungla with shorts and tennis shoes on though! (old habits die hard)

WillBrink
09-17-14, 15:50
Panama is indeed very beautiful in places, such as the ones you showed above. Not sure I'd have been humping through the jungla with shorts and tennis shoes on though! (old habits die hard)

Not Tennis shoes. Them thar modern hiking hybrid type shoes. Made by Merrel. Quite well built. Similar to:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30890M/74580/Mens/Chameleon-5-Waterproof?dimensions=0

Few more:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06456_zps161ce47f.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06456_zps161ce47f.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06467_zps1e2bbe44.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06467_zps1e2bbe44.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06439_zps7e61129f.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/El%20Vella%20Panama/DSC06439_zps7e61129f.jpg.html)

ABNAK
09-17-14, 16:06
See any snakes? That's the thing that creeped me out the most about the jungle.

hatidua
09-17-14, 16:19
Any other jungle survival tips? :cool:

When I lived in SE Asia and spent time in the jungle, we made a point of always wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts. Just too many sharp vines/thorns/etc. for the luxury of shorts/t-shirt and the cuts/scratches that would result therefrom. And, if in an area where it's an issue, avoid mosquito bites - malaria, while a typically effective weight loss program, isn't as remotely as fun as it may sound. DEET, it's your friend!

Lastly, roll up your pants and pull up your shirt to check for leeches after fording creeks/rivers, they are usually painless (and can get huge if undetected for an hour or so).

WillBrink
09-17-14, 16:28
See any snakes? That's the thing that creeped me out the most about the jungle.

One small one who had no interest in me and bolted when I came close. There's a number of poisonous snakes in Panama, but I think most are in the denser jungle areas by the Costa Rican and Columbian borders. They even have big cats, etc in those areas. Panama does have coral snakes, which if you get bit and are far from help, bad mojo for you. Snake bites are fairly rare in Panama. I don't mind snakes too much, but I don't like big spiders. Panama has spiders big enough to catch and eat birds, and I hope to never see one. Their habitat is marshy areas deep within the primary rainforests of countries in the region, and that's a whole other level of jungle to where I was at a higher elevation.

Eurodriver
09-17-14, 16:53
USMC JWTC is in Okinawa.

That place is the worst.

TomD
09-17-14, 17:02
Would the Marines have it any other way?

WillBrink
09-17-14, 17:10
USMC JWTC is in Okinawa.

That place is the worst.

But probably not as bad as when it had to be forcibly taken from the Japanese. See, it can always get worse! :cool:

SteyrAUG
09-17-14, 17:34
First thing I'd need is a time machine so I could go back to my early 20s when I was in the shape required to do such a thing. Never been to the Panama jungle but there are place in Florida which do a decent impersonation of a South American jungle, the big difference is you don't have the same canopy so the sun kicks your ass as you trudge through the growth. But somehow it is still completely wet and humid.

A couple hours of that nonsense is usually enough for me to wish I was somewhere else. I can't imagine the guys who actually had to fight in environments like that during WWII and Vietnam.

WillBrink
09-17-14, 18:11
First thing I'd need is a time machine so I could go back to my early 20s when I was in the shape required to do such a thing. Never been to the Panama jungle but there are place in Florida which do a decent impersonation of a South American jungle, the big difference is you don't have the same canopy so the sun kicks your ass as you trudge through the growth. But somehow it is still completely wet and humid.

A couple hours of that nonsense is usually enough for me to wish I was somewhere else. I can't imagine the guys who actually had to fight in environments like that during WWII and Vietnam.

I made similar comments in the OP. It came to mind multiple times.

SteyrAUG
09-17-14, 18:36
I made similar comments in the OP. It came to mind multiple times.

Yeah, it's funny how we always imagine ourselves in combat in ideal conditions. Thinking we'd be able to do this and do that. Somehow in our imagined scenarios we forget to factor in environments that are as challenging as the enemy, crappy food, being weakened by illness and insects the size of your head.

I think I'd rather freeze my ass off in Bastogne.

montanadave
09-17-14, 19:20
Alas, one of the more confounding symptoms of my male menopause is testicular hyperhidrosis, which necessarily precludes any excessive exertion in tropical climes.

ABNAK
09-17-14, 19:44
USMC JWTC is in Okinawa.

That place is the worst.

Never been to Panama, have you? ;)

JOTC in Panama wasn't just attended by Army units; Marine BN's rotated through there too. There's a reason it was put in the old Canal Zone.....it's verifiable triple-canopy tropical rainforest.

I've never been to Okinawa, but looking at a map it's sub-tropical, i.e. like southern Florida is. There are chilly days there sometimes during the winter, correct? There are NO chilly days in Panama year-round. Look, I'm sure the Marines make it suck a great deal for their jungle training there. However, the miltary in general (and the Army and Marines in particular) could make Heaven suck!

Moose-Knuckle
09-17-14, 19:58
I have two friends from Panama, they tell me every year there is always a few people who go hiking in the Darién Gap and are never heard from again.

ABNAK
09-17-14, 22:04
I have two friends from Panama, they tell me every year there is always a few people who go hiking in the Darién Gap and are never heard from again.

Yeah the Darien is that AO down near Colombia which not only has probably the thickest jungle in Panama but also banditos/drug cartels.

WillBrink
09-18-14, 10:24

Yup. It's not a place you'd find me unarmed and or alone. Some of those people never seen again are not just dumb tourists either. You go in there, best know what you're doing. In terms of two legged varmints, it's gotten much better is my understanding (because things in Columbia are much better in general) but it's still a highly active border area, and the Panama version of SOF (a few of which I have met and they seem to be the only crew seen as GTG) who spend time at Bragg, etc, cross training, are active there in drug and border interdiction work along with "advisers" from other locals. It's an area with big cats (who don't generally bother with humans but still...), various poisonous snakes, crocs, bird eating spiders, and various nasties. Have not been there, but I know mil types that have and they tell me it's as jungle as jungle gets on this planet. You won't find this gringo roaming around there minus qualified guides, preferably armed.

Smuckatelli
09-18-14, 19:35
The US mil used to do jungle training in Panama (I cans see why now!) when there was a big US mil presence in Panama, not sure if that's still done today with SOF and such. Anyone do their jungle training in Panama? Some info I found:

My Battalion did the JOTC training in 83, they started the course by first taking us to their zoo to show us everything that could kill us. Things that could mess us up; black palm & vampire bats. People that would kill us; drug runners. Had some really interesting seastories coming out of that training.

I also did the Jungle survival training in the Philippines. Guam has some pretty nasty bush but no snakes so that was good. In Okinawa they run Marines through the Jungle Operations course in the Northern Training Area. For those new to the jungle, it can get scary but it really isn't jungle when compared to other jungles.

The picture is after completing the obstacle course in Panama.

Eurodriver
09-18-14, 21:02
Never been to Panama, have you? ;)

JOTC in Panama wasn't just attended by Army units; Marine BN's rotated through there too. There's a reason it was put in the old Canal Zone.....it's verifiable triple-canopy tropical rainforest.

I've never been to Okinawa, but looking at a map it's sub-tropical, i.e. like southern Florida is. There are chilly days there sometimes during the winter, correct? There are NO chilly days in Panama year-round. Look, I'm sure the Marines make it suck a great deal for their jungle training there. However, the miltary in general (and the Army and Marines in particular) could make Heaven suck!

I'll be honest, Oki isn't really that bad. It's hot, but not that oppressive stifling heat you get elsewhere. It does get really hot in July and August, but it's not like Florida where it's hot from April to November. I've never been to Panama, and I hope to keep it that way, but I can't imagine the heat there. Hawaii is just a total joke (I spent years there. Anyone who thinks "jungle training" when you're a few miles from the Dole Plantation is a lunatic)

I was going to attend FSU's campus in Panama but after reading about the bugs and the weather, I decided against it.

But probably not as bad as when it had to be forcibly taken from the Japanese. See, it can always get worse! :cool:

God bless every one of them.

WillBrink
09-18-14, 21:15
I'll be honest, Oki isn't really that bad. It's hot, but not that oppressive stifling heat you get elsewhere. It does get really hot in July and August, but it's not like Florida where it's hot from April to November. I've never been to Panama, and I hope to keep it that way, but I can't imagine the heat there. Hawaii is just a total joke (I spent years there. Anyone who thinks "jungle training" when you're a few miles from the Dole Plantation is a lunatic)

I was going to attend FSU's campus in Panama but after reading about the bugs and the weather, I decided against it.

God bless every one of them.

It's something you need to experience. I thought FL in July was hot. I was wrong. :)

Smuckatelli
09-18-14, 22:10

The thing I loved about JOTC was the Army instructors telling us to don't touch anything that you can't positively ID...because....it'll kill ya.

I just lost my squad to a new Corporal that checked into our Platoon from Sea Duty. I was a L/Cpl but had more time in service, so my Lt told me that the Cpl was in charge but I needed to 'mentor' him. One of the night ambush patrols that we had set up was pretty good, I moved over to the left flank to cover a draw, really I just wanted to get away from the Cpl. So the Cpl comes over to get some advice......about 5 minutes after he arrived we heard movement in the draw below us. We figured that it was second platoon trying to out flank us. We threw two CS grenades, switch the rifles to full auto and emptied our magazines (blanks). There was silence...then the movement started again but this time it was towards us. At that point I looked at the Cpl and he asked me who it could be. I told him that either second platoon all of a sudden became disciplined or we just CS some drug runners because animals would not be coming towards us. Knowing that the drug runners had live ammo and we had awesome blanks..he asked me what we should do...I came back with a classic, "I don't know. you're in charge".....we looked at each other and said run away...no kidding right out of Monty Python's in search of the Holy Grail. So the whole squad is PFTing down this trail scared shitless and then we realized that we were running in the wrong direction, we would have to double back to get to the platoon cp.

We stopped, completely exhausted and then sticks started falling from the trees...right before we started running again we discovered it was monkeys in the trees. Take a couple steps back and the stick throwing stopped, go forward and it started again. By that point we were physically and mentally exhausted, forget the cross jungle navigation. We took our BFAs off fixed bayonets and went high diddle diddle right up the middle of the trail back to the cp.

Another story; during the land navigation let's find a painted ammo can in the jungle goatrope, the Plt Sgt from 2nd was crossing a stream. He saw an anaconda type snake in the water and decided to be a man. He picked it up just behind it's head, he was fully committed at that point. The head was the size of a football and he couldn't let go of it because it would bite him. The need for a working party was recognized very quickly. They gathered up 6 wanna be Magellan Marines to help keep the snake from coiling around him. They formed a line and held the snake straight to keep it from constricting. They walked back to Ft Sherman carrying the snake. The Army ended up adding it to it's zoo, it was the biggest one that they had, just a little over 14 feet. JOTC gave him a really nice plaque with a machete on it for that snake.

Another lovely training event....poncho rafts across the Chagres River...gotta aim up stream or you will never make it to the landing sight. Down stream was a shark breading area.......

To this day I don't know how much of the stuff the Army Instructors were telling us was fact or let's mess with the Marines.

One thing I do know, libo was kick ass.

Smuckatelli
09-18-14, 22:37
They flew us down there on a commercial DC-8.........crew serves don't fit in the overhead compartments....

Two months later the USS Lamoure County took us down to Honduras....another super nasty jungle but not as bad as Panama.

ABNAK
09-18-14, 22:56
On the Pacific side was the Empire Range complex where we went to the "field". We were set up in a mortar position at the edge of some kuna (elephant) grass. Can't fire a mortar through a jungle canopy, right? It was a night-fire mission and in between calls I had pulled a couple of boxes that the rounds came in together to lay on. After a few minutes I started itching.....WTF? I took my jungle fatigue shirt off and took out my OD green flashlight. Lo and behold I had set those boxes in the middle of a trail of ants. It had apparently disrupted them for a short period but those little bastards resumed their march.....right up over the box, into my shirt, and out the other side! I was frantically swatting them off me in case they were "Ranger Ants", which had HUGE heads with these pincher things on them. Fortunately for me they weren't the dreaded Ranger Ants but were persistent nonetheless. I had respect for those little critters after that. Kinda like the Viet Cong of ants!

When we'd set up in a mortar position you'd send out a security guy in the jungle in each direction. I knew better than to just plop down in the jungle to relax. No, you take the muzzle of your M16 and poke around in the bush to check for critters. Then I'd take my steel pot off (yeah, dating myself a bit!), turn it upside down and squat in it as a seat. Back then I smoked so I lit one up and looked upward at a huge tree in front of me. There was a HUGE black snake with yellowish spots on it slowly twirling itself out a branch, not towards me but kind of at an oblique angle away from me (not far enough for my comfort though!). I don't think there are Anacondas indigenous to Panama but this damn thing looked to be nearly that size. I didn't take my eyes off of it the whole time I sat there, which seemed like forever. My squad leader came over and said "What's up?" I pointed up into the tree. His eyes got big and he kind of chuckled and said "Let's go back to the gun position".

Snakes creep me out BIG TIME. Of all the damn places the Army could've sent me they sent me to Panama! Of course you'd always have the Steve Corwin-like idiots that just had to f**k with the wildlife no matter what. It was like having Marlin Perkins from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom in your platoon.

One of the line companies was "assaulting" a hill one day and was driven off by a swarm of those African Killer Bees that were working their way up from South America during the 80's. We were set up in a mortar position and could here the radio traffic. They had to wait until the bees calmed down and then sneak back up the hill to retrieve weapons and other sensitive items that had been dropped in their retreat as they swatted frantically and ran downhill!

WillBrink
09-18-14, 23:03
On the Pacific side was the Empire Range complex where we went to the "field". We were set up in a mortar position at the edge of some kuna (elephant) grass. Can't fire a mortar through a jungle canopy, right? It was a night-fire mission and in between calls I had pulled a couple of boxes that the rounds came in together to lay on. After a few minutes I started itching.....WTF? I took my jungle fatigue shirt off and took out my OD green flashlight. Lo and behold I had set those boxes in the middle of a trail of ants. It had apparently disrupted them for a short period but those little bastards resumed their march.....right up over the box, into my shirt, and out the other side! I was frantically swatting them off me in case they were "Ranger Ants", which had HUGE heads with these pincher things on them. Fortunately for me they weren't the dreaded Ranger Ants but were persistent nonetheless. I had respect for those little critters after that. Kinda like the Viet Cong of ants!

When we'd set up in a mortar position you'd send out a security guy in the jungle in each direction. I knew better than to just plop down in the jungle to relax. No, you take the muzzle of your M16 and poke around in the bush to check for critters. Then I'd take my steel pot off (yeah, dating myself a bit!), turn it upside down and squat in it as a seat. Back then I smoked so I lit one up and looked upward at a huge tree in front of me. There was a HUGE black snake with yellowish spots on it slowly twirling itself out a branch, not towards me but kind of at an oblique angle away from me (not far enough for my comfort though!). I don't think there are Anacondas indigenous to Panama but this damn thing looked to be nearly that size. I didn't take my eyes off of it the whole time I sat there, which seemed like forever. My squad leader came over and said "What's up?" I pointed up into the tree. His eyes got big and he kind of chuckled and said "Let's go back to the gun position".

Snakes creep me out BIG TIME. Of all the damn places the Army could've sent me they sent me to Panama! Of course you'd always have the Steve Corwin-like idiots that just had to f**k with the wildlife no matter what. It was like having Marlin Perkins from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom in your platoon.

One of the line companies was "assaulting" a hill one day and was driven off by a swarm of those African Killer Bees that were working their way up from South America during the 80's. We were set up in a mortar position and could here the radio traffic. They had to wait until the bees calmed down and then sneak back up the hill to retrieve weapons and other sensitive items that had been dropped in their retreat as they swatted frantically and ran downhill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92gP2J0CUjc

ABNAK
09-18-14, 23:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92gP2J0CUjc

Pretty much!

Heavy Metal
09-18-14, 23:14
Well....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Smuckatelli
09-19-14, 00:45

Here's a no shitter lesson that I learned there: clp will stop the ants. Before setting up, look for the ant trails, this works both day & night. If there is a trail within three feet of where you plan to harbor, draw a half circle blocking it. Check once an hour, once the traffic build up gets heavy, complete the clp circle. They wont cross the clp line but it will take hours for them to make a bridge and save the trapped ones. Repeat as necessary. Word of caution, clp doesn't have an effect on your hands but if you place it anywhere else on your body, it BURNS.

ptmccain
09-19-14, 06:12
Jungles are a major pain...

Imagine hacking your way through inch by inch, step by step, with no trail but the one you have to hack out with a machete.

ptmccain
09-19-14, 06:14
Well....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

I'm surprised this did not come up earlier...well played, sir.

I say if you are going to Rock, then go big, or go home.

ABNAK
09-19-14, 06:20
Jungles are a major pain...

Imagine hacking your way through inch by inch, step by step, with no trail but the one you have to hack out with a machete.

From a military perspective that isn't the most "tactical" way to move! Rather noisy. However, that's the way most conventional units do it in jungles.

LRRP's, Recon, SOG, et al, tended to pick (as opposed to hack) their way through more quietly. Slower moving for sure, but much more stealthy. Carefully and slowly move a little ways. Stop. Listen for a minute. Rinse and repeat.

ptmccain
09-19-14, 06:25
Agree...was simply commenting on the difficulty of moving through a jungle where there is no path, not even an animal path, to follow. I got a **tiny** taste of it surveying through Florida dense scrub country. We had to hack a "line" as far as necessary to shoot angles for section and subdivision property markings, several miles away from our truck. The nice "surprises" included snakes all nicely coiled up and wasps' nests. But nobody was shooting at us, so it was all good, relatively speaking.

Smuckatelli
09-19-14, 09:15
Agree...was simply commenting on the difficulty of moving through a jungle where there is no path, not even an animal path, to follow.

We did that on Tinian, we had to constantly replace the point man because hacking through the bush leads to exhaustion very quickly.

There in lies the problem; The bad guy knows trails, even animal trails offer the least resistance.....the best places to set up an ambush. Hacking through the bush is noisy, exhausting, and time consuming but as long your rear security does it's job you are relatively safe until you hit a danger zone.

You could hack through bush for weeks and avoid enemy contact.....but then again you could have the same results by never leaving your living room.....

ptmccain
09-20-14, 14:58
Tinian? Do tell!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-14, 15:28
From a military perspective that isn't the most "tactical" way to move! Rather noisy. However, that's the way most conventional units do it in jungles.

LRRP's, Recon, SOG, et al, tended to pick (as opposed to hack) their way through more quietly. Slower moving for sure, but much more stealthy. Carefully and slowly move a little ways. Stop. Listen for a minute. Rinse and repeat.

That and someone can track you easier when leaving a nice mowed path.