PDA

View Full Version : My TROY front sight....

billybronco
06-16-08, 15:38
has a bit of play north to south when engaged.

WTF ???? How is this to hold a zero?

My rear sight locks up tight as a tick, however.....

what gives?

JoshNC
06-16-08, 16:12
Have you tried calling Troy? They will make it right if it is not in spec.

Bret
08-07-08, 20:02
I spoke to someone at Troy today and asked this very question. He said that they're designed to have a little play. He said that the slight front to back movement won't have a measurable effect.

rifleshooter
08-07-08, 20:40
This is normal and will not effect your sighting zero.

Stickman
08-07-08, 21:41
At least yours is working, my Troy rear sight just died (again). I need to give Steve or Matt a call, I have no doubt they would make things right.

vicious_cb
08-08-08, 08:31
At least yours is working, my Troy rear sight just died (again). I need to give Steve or Matt a call, I have no doubt they would make things right.

Unfortunately Ive had a Troy rear sight die on me as well. The locking detents fell off so it wouldnt lock in place. Troy made it right but it took them over 3 weeks.

BushmasterFanBoy
08-08-08, 11:11

I have two sets and both of mine have some play. Troy probably figured that we can't shoot good enough to tell the difference.

tango-papa
08-08-08, 12:36

What's going on with it (again)?

~tp

Shihan
08-08-08, 14:30
Every folding site I have ever seen has had some play. LOL I have seen alot of them ;) Besides they are BUIS and not ment for all the tiime use. I have been hearing alot of reports of the Troy rears failing but Troy is very good at taing care of problems.

hyrepower
08-08-08, 20:05
Well I was going to buy some Troy folding sights, but if they are prone to fail, whose are better. I don't want to have something that I am waiting to fail on me. Especially when it could mean life or death.

BushmasterFanBoy
08-08-08, 22:31
Well I was going to buy some Troy folding sights, but if they are prone to fail, whose are better. I don't want to have something that I am waiting to fail on me. Especially when it could mean life or death.

Anything can break. Right now I think Troy's are the best folding sights. For a more rugged sight, I don't think the fixed sights can be beat.

Luckily for me I just shoot my guns for fun, so no worries about potentially getting hurt if my equipment fails :D. Good luck!

trunkmonkey
08-09-08, 01:08
For the price I'd expect them to lock up well with a very low failure rate.

hyrepower
08-09-08, 04:49
I agree with you, that sounds kinda disappointing.

Magic Sauce
08-09-08, 05:56
My Troy rear sight has the slightest amount of wiggle, but it is still rock solid.

Has anyone seen a folding sight that doesn't have even the slightest bit of wiggle?

I would hardly call it wiggle at that, as it's so insignificant...

MassMark
08-09-08, 08:08
My Troy rear sight has the slightest amount of wiggle, but it is still rock solid.

Has anyone seen a folding sight that doesn't have even the slightest bit of wiggle?

I would hardly call it wiggle at that, as it's so insignificant...

Exactly - I have Troy front and rear BUIS mounted on my SOCOM-16, which as you all know puts out a lot more pop than a 5.56. They were dead on when I mounted them and remain that way to this moment and I have a few thousand rounds underneath them. Everything mechanical can fail, but to suggest that Troy BUIS are "prone" to failure is a bit over the top. The only folding sight that raised my eyebrows with the amount of play were some MI's I saw mounted on a Bushmaster M4 quite a while ago - they were literally wobbly. I'm no engineer, so I can't tell you if it was an out of spec rail, an overly thin mounting screw, a lemon, or a combination. What I do know is that everything from toasters, to socket wrenches, to BUIS can have a product that sneaks past QC. The BUIS, (be they Troy, MI, YHM, etc) is no different and at the same time is not an overly-complex mechanical device. In many cases, out of spec rails, build or heaven forbid - operator error can be the culprit....Then the Internet hype kicks in......:rolleyes:
Thankfully, I ignored it when I bought my SOCOM-16, (unreliable, out of spec, inaccurate, loud, no USGI parts) - it's been a joy....My Troy BUIS - now three of them have been the same....

Robb Jensen
08-09-08, 08:19
has a bit of play north to south when engaged.

My rear sight locks up tight as a tick, however.....

what gives?

This isn't a Camp Perry Hi-power sight. If it fit tight like an INDY car engine head you wouldn't be able to flip it up and down when there's blood/mud/crud or Krylon on it.