PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Gen4 G17

rauchman
09-05-14, 14:58
Greetings,

I'm having a new handgun purchase itch. Lately, I've gone through a new Beretta 92 phase, Sig P226 w/ SRT trigger phase, and now Gen4 G17 phase.

My primary is a Gen3 G19 with a Gen2 G19 backup. I do daily dry fires on these pistols and am one of the rare fortunate's that shattered the breach area of the Gen2 by way of A LOT of dry fire. Glock was kind enough to provide a new slide for that pistol. I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like, but try to shoot at least once a month.

I have a wide variety of pistol platforms but keep on coming back to Glocks as the primary. Amongst them, I have a Gen2 G17, '94 92FS and '95 P226 (I believe the last year of the German made folded sheet metal slide pistols). I recently installed a D spring in the Beretta, and it's transformed it to a pistol I thoroughly enjoy. Also, I've been dry fire practicing in DA only extensively with the Beretta and Sig lately and find my trigger control has gotten considerably better with all platforms as a result.

Was just at a local gunstore and had walked in asking to check out a P226 w/ SRT, HK VP9 and Gen4 G17. They had a P226 Elite w/ SRT and a Gen4 G22 (close enough to at least check out the frame and trigger pull), and no VP9. I really liked the SRT in the Sig but found that specimen to be a bit much, but keep coming back to the G17. I live in NJ, so no 17rnd mags, but this would be a range gun primarily anyway, with possible HD duty w/ TLR-1 mounted. If I got the G17, there is a small part of me that would consider doing the grip chop to accept 15rnd G19 mags.

Sorry, I digress....

What is your impression of the Gen4 G17? I'm thinking hard on it and have been wanting one for a while. Is it worth getting one since I already have the Gen2? I've read the accuracy on the Gen4 is improved. Is this your experience as well?

C4IGrant
09-05-14, 16:08
Greetings,

I'm having a new handgun purchase itch. Lately, I've gone through a new Beretta 92 phase, Sig P226 w/ SRT trigger phase, and now Gen4 G17 phase.

My primary is a Gen3 G19 with a Gen2 G19 backup. I do daily dry fires on these pistols and am one of the rare fortunate's that shattered the breach area of the Gen2 by way of A LOT of dry fire. Glock was kind enough to provide a new slide for that pistol. I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like, but try to shoot at least once a month.

I have a wide variety of pistol platforms but keep on coming back to Glocks as the primary. Amongst them, I have a Gen2 G17, '94 92FS and '95 P226 (I believe the last year of the German made folded sheet metal slide pistols). I recently installed a D spring in the Beretta, and it's transformed it to a pistol I thoroughly enjoy. Also, I've been dry fire practicing in DA only extensively with the Beretta and Sig lately and find my trigger control has gotten considerably better with all platforms as a result.

Was just at a local gunstore and had walked in asking to check out a P226 w/ SRT, HK VP9 and Gen4 G17. They had a P226 Elite w/ SRT and a Gen4 G22 (close enough to at least check out the frame and trigger pull), and no VP9. I really liked the SRT in the Sig but found that specimen to be a bit much, but keep coming back to the G17. I live in NJ, so no 17rnd mags, but this would be a range gun primarily anyway, with possible HD duty w/ TLR-1 mounted. If I got the G17, there is a small part of me that would consider doing the grip chop to accept 15rnd G19 mags.

Sorry, I digress....

What is your impression of the Gen4 G17? I'm thinking hard on it and have been wanting one for a while. Is it worth getting one since I already have the Gen2? I've read the accuracy on the Gen4 is improved. Is this your experience as well?

Accuracy is dependent on how well the barrel locks up to the slide (not whether it is a GEN 2 or GEN 4).

My question is, do you shoot them well?? What is your score on say the 10/10/10 drill? What does accuracy look like at 25yds?? If the answer is "Not so good" to these questions, then you might want to look at a different pistol.

C4

acaixguard
09-05-14, 17:20
I am actually starting to like the Gen4 more than the Gen3, because I find the slightly smaller grip gives me a bit improved control of my trigger finger (lets me get more of my finger around the trigger face).

BTW, I am in NJ too. You can get the 17 round mags that have been permanently modified to 15 from a few vendors.

rauchman
09-05-14, 17:27
Accuracy is dependent on how well the barrel locks up to the slide (not whether it is a GEN 2 or GEN 4).

My question is, do you shoot them well?? What is your score on say the 10/10/10 drill? What does accuracy look like at 25yds?? If the answer is "Not so good" to these questions, then you might want to look at a different pistol.

C4

Appreciate the reply. Agree on the barrel lock up. I've read various theories on the Gen4 having better accuracy. The one I find plausible is along with possibly tighter tolerances and some newer barrel geometry, the newer recoil spring design has something to do with it. Again, this is purely based on reading many reviews.

Do I shoot them well? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a facility that allows anything approaching rapid fire. No drawing from a holster. I usually get a frown, and sometimes a talking to, for pushing limits on speed. I'm sure there are drills out there that I could utilize, but I confess my ignorance. Having said that, I usually shoot at 15 yards. With my G19's, I'm usually in the 2" range for 5 rounds with a shooting pace of around 1 round per 2-3 seconds. With the G17, after some warmup and what not, the best I've done is exactly at 1". My average is just under 1.5". Shooting cold, figure an additional .5" - 1" on the spread. I've found my gun likes Fiocchi and Gecco 124grn FMJ. I'm sure what I'm doing is very crude, but this is the best answer I can supply as to your references of accuracy standards.

In relation to other pistols I own, I shoot the G17 as well as any other pistol I've shot. I find it to be slightly harder work than say a P226 or 92FS in SA, but doable. I find both the 17 & 19 allow me to be more accurate with a purposefully aimed quick 2nd shot vs other platforms.

acaixguard
09-05-14, 17:31
Where do you usually shoot?

JHC
09-05-14, 18:05
Great guns in my experience. My eldest has 3 of them. Two are early 2010 and one from the first run of FDE. All superb in accuracy and reliability. These were shot rested at 25 yds. Round counts from 12K down to about 3K IIRC. We've found them a little more accurate than earlier gens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7523718476/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7782223568/

samuse
09-05-14, 18:57
I think you should get a Beretta 92a1 or M9a1.

Send it to Wilson Combat if you get the itch.

Cagemonkey
09-05-14, 21:18
I am actually starting to like the Gen4 more than the Gen3, because I find the slightly smaller grip gives me a bit improved control of my trigger finger (lets me get more of my finger around the trigger face).

BTW, I am in NJ too. You can get the 17 round mags that have been permanently modified to 15 from a few vendors.Feel exactly the same way. Love the way the Gen 4 feels.

rauchman
09-05-14, 21:33
Feel exactly the same way. Love the way the Gen 4 feels.

Posts like these are swaying my decision.

After holding the pistols today, the Gen4 G17 left the greatest impression. The grip frame didn't have the sometimes awkward feel of the Gen2 and I'm guessing Gen3. The G4 felt more natural in my hand.

acaixguard - Lately, I've been shooting at RTSP in Randolf. Used to shoot at the Bullet Hole. Want to check out the range affiliated with Gun For Hire in Woodland Park / West Paterson, as well as look at classes there.

Also, any recommendations on where to purchase 15rnd G17 pinned mags?

rauchman
09-05-14, 21:41
Great guns in my experience. My eldest has 3 of them. Two are early 2010 and one from the first run of FDE. All superb in accuracy and reliability. These were shot rested at 25 yds. Round counts from 12K down to about 3K IIRC. We've found them a little more accurate than earlier gens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7523718476/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/7782223568/

I've been really enjoying my wife's Beretta 92FS with the D spring. I find it very rewarding putting solid groups together shooting DA only. The D spring made a big difference in the trigger for the better.

acaixguard
09-06-14, 00:39
Posts like these are swaying my decision.

After holding the pistols today, the Gen4 G17 left the greatest impression. The grip frame didn't have the sometimes awkward feel of the Gen2 and I'm guessing Gen3. The G4 felt more natural in my hand.

acaixguard - Lately, I've been shooting at RTSP in Randolf. Used to shoot at the Bullet Hole. Want to check out the range affiliated with Gun For Hire in Woodland Park / West Paterson, as well as look at classes there.

Also, any recommendations on where to purchase 15rnd G17 pinned mags?

I've shot at RTSP a few times and have shot more times at Woodland. Both very nice ranges. Bullet Hole is a complete dump, both in facility and their service. Glad I don't have to go back to that hole anymore.

RTSP can pin 15 round mags. Also Estrella Ordnance can also sell you the G17 mags pinned to 15. Just note that once pinned, you can't fully disassemble the mag anymore.

plouffedaddy
09-06-14, 07:43
I'm certainly a fan. Mine's been as reliable/durable/etc.. as any other Glock I own. Here's my review I did a while back if you'd like to see it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4dSKvrX0Sg

Surf
09-06-14, 13:58
I am contiuously looking for something better but it is my favorite all around pistol out there right now.

brianc142
09-06-14, 14:05
I have been shooting Glocks for 20 years and the Gen 4 G17 is my go to gun these days.

okie john
09-06-14, 14:21
If I got the G17, there is a small part of me that would consider doing the grip chop to accept 15rnd G19 mags.

I have very little experience with the Gen4 Glock, but I've done the grip chop on a couple of Gen3 G17's, one of which is my EDC. I definitely recommend it.

Okie John

GregP220
09-06-14, 14:23
I resisted buying a Glock 17 for a while because I tend to think a 9mm pistol should be smaller than a full sized service pistol. Others will disagree.

I have many Gen2 and Gen3 Glocks - they work very well for me and I shoot them about as well as anything. When I decided to finally get a 17 I purchased a Gen4 and have been very happy with it.

My 17 has sent 1200+ rounds downrange without a hiccup in the 2 months that I've owned it. I shoot in the desert so nobody gets to tell me what to do. Gotta love full-speed mag dumps :cool: Feeding, extraction and ejection have been perfect. The texture of the Gen4 gripframe is a major improvement over the earlier pistols IMHO.

For what it is worth - my ejector is #30274, recoil spring assembly is #042, extractor is non-dipped.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Flankenstein
09-06-14, 15:08
Thoughts? It's awesome.

Hornbuckle
09-06-14, 19:35
I have a gen3 for work and a gen4 19 for my own. I love my gen4. A buddy just got a gen4 17 for work and he's ready to make it his first born child, he loves it so much...

JHC
09-06-14, 20:19
I am contiuously looking for something better but it is my favorite all around pistol out there right now.

Is your rollout over 1000 new Gen 4 G17s put in service now?

bowietx
09-06-14, 21:53
The Glocks are good to go, however after shooting the VP9 I have a new favorite.

13MPG
09-06-14, 22:49
I have always enjoyed my gen4 G17's. No real issues to speak of. As far as the accuracy goes 3 out of the 5 were great the other two were not nearly as good. They weren't hard to carry concealed but I always reverted back to a G19.

Rattlehead
09-06-14, 23:22

Very nice, reliable pistol (mine anyways). I will take a Gen 4 grip over a Gen 3 anyway as well. The grenade checkering still hurts me pretty bad even after having huge calluses from running the Gen 3s so much. As far as reliability I have seen no difference when compared to my Gen 3 guns.

....We've found them a little more accurate than earlier gens.

I can second this statement, even on the later made Gen 3 guns. A lot less up and down movement/play in the hood area of the barrel - tighter lockup. No more welding up the locking block to increase accuracy; not even needed anymore.

HighDesert
09-06-14, 23:44
Love!!!

Much prefer the Gen 4s grip over the Gen 3s.

My FDE 17 is accurate enough, but I shoot my Gen 4 19 better. Shoot the 17 better than my Gen 4 26 though.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/file_zps934bd3fe.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/harry1922/media/file_zps934bd3fe.jpg.html)

G34Shooter
09-07-14, 01:23
I've been through about 15 Glocks since the 90's and prefer the Gen 4 G17 over all others. The smaller grip, additional texture, wider mag release and they have shot more precise for me on average over the earlier generations with looser fitting barrels at 25 yards. Some very recent Gen 4 G19's have had the best lockup I've seen on any Glock and I wish I could pick another up.

My newest all FDE 17 which I was shooting for the first time with a new G19 and others:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/20140810_121726_zpspwxwgxcc.jpg

mizer67
09-07-14, 06:36
I've been through about 15 Glocks since the 90's and prefer the Gen 4 G17 over all others. The smaller grip, additional texture, wider mag release and they have shot more precise for me on average over the earlier generations with looser fitting barrels at 25 yards. Some very recent Gen 4 G19's have had the best lockup I've seen on any Glock and I wish I could pick another up.

My newest all FDE 17 which I was shooting for the first time with a new G19 and others:

The only thing I don't like about the Gen4 is the texture against bare skin while carrying. It's not as bad as an RTF, but it's still sort of like shoving a bunch of ants down your pants.

G34Shooter
09-07-14, 09:12
I just use Under Armour undershirts which keep me cool and protected from texturing or sights digging into me.

JHC
09-07-14, 12:25
The only thing I don't like about the Gen4 is the texture against bare skin while carrying. It's not as bad as an RTF, but it's still sort of like shoving a bunch of ants down your pants.

I tolerate Gen 4's ok agin' the skin. RTF2 is like packing a weasel.

Surf
09-07-14, 13:00
Is your rollout over 1000 new Gen 4 G17s put in service now?Around 1800 right now.

G34Shooter
09-07-14, 14:04
Around 1800 right now.

Are your videos online somewhere anymore? They were very informative.

Up1911fan
09-07-14, 18:04
Are your videos online somewhere anymore? They were very informative.

This!

C4IGrant
09-08-14, 07:56
Appreciate the reply. Agree on the barrel lock up. I've read various theories on the Gen4 having better accuracy. The one I find plausible is along with possibly tighter tolerances and some newer barrel geometry, the newer recoil spring design has something to do with it. Again, this is purely based on reading many reviews.

Do I shoot them well? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a facility that allows anything approaching rapid fire. No drawing from a holster. I usually get a frown, and sometimes a talking to, for pushing limits on speed. I'm sure there are drills out there that I could utilize, but I confess my ignorance. Having said that, I usually shoot at 15 yards. With my G19's, I'm usually in the 2" range for 5 rounds with a shooting pace of around 1 round per 2-3 seconds. With the G17, after some warmup and what not, the best I've done is exactly at 1". My average is just under 1.5". Shooting cold, figure an additional .5" - 1" on the spread. I've found my gun likes Fiocchi and Gecco 124grn FMJ. I'm sure what I'm doing is very crude, but this is the best answer I can supply as to your references of accuracy standards.

In relation to other pistols I own, I shoot the G17 as well as any other pistol I've shot. I find it to be slightly harder work than say a P226 or 92FS in SA, but doable. I find both the 17 & 19 allow me to be more accurate with a purposefully aimed quick 2nd shot vs other platforms.

Shoot 10rds at 25yds on a B8 target (for score and see how you do).

The 10/10/10 drill can be shot in 20 seconds (if that is all they allow) so give that a whirl as well.

IMHO, Glocks are the most difficult of all polymer pistol to shoot WELL under any kind of speed do to the grip angle and hard reset. So before buying another one, I would actually make sure that you can run this at speed and at distance (as most cannot).

C4

rauchman
09-08-14, 08:35
Shoot 10rds at 25yds on a B8 target (for score and see how you do).

The 10/10/10 drill can be shot in 20 seconds (if that is all they allow) so give that a whirl as well.

IMHO, Glocks are the most difficult of all polymer pistol to shoot WELL under any kind of speed do to the grip angle and hard reset. So before buying another one, I am actually make sure that you an run this at speed and at distance (as most cannot).

C4

Thank you for this info. I plan on hitting the range this upcoming weekend and will give this a whirl. Again, greatly appreciated!