PDA

View Full Version : 338 lapua savage and optics

dan68
09-06-14, 10:20
Hi all. Just a coue questions for you fellas. About four months ago I bought new this 338. Shot it enough that I think I have a fairly good couple loads worked up with H1000 and Retombo both using Berger 300 grain bullets. Pretty sure I can get a little more speed out of it but it at least to me was showing some signs of pressure as in scuffing the brass on primer end after ejecting. Anyway that parts probably for another section. So for optics I went with the vortex 6-24x50 (PST ?). Very impressed with the quality of the scope at closer range and lower power (100-400 yrds) but when on 24 the clarity is not so good. I guess this is fairly normal on a variable scope of any brand? Also on this scope it has 11 moa's per revolution with four I'm assuming 1/4" marks in between. Sorry if I sound a bit uneducated but on these scopes I am. Now the online ballistics chart I'm using uses numbers like 12.7 moa clicks so that adds what to me is the start of the confusion. Where I'm really having trouble is I have shot and hit my targets (8"x8") at 600-800&1000 yards and my moas do not jibe with theirs which means I cannot use their information for everything in between those ranges without actually shooting at them. Just don't want to waist the ammo and after learning more about this gun 25 yards at longer ranges can mean the difference of 12" or more in drop. So the long and short is can anyone help me out with understanding this scope I little better and should I go to a better scope like a night force? Thank you very much.
Dan

beb0541
09-24-14, 19:37
Before you go investing a lot in another scope I would see what gun is capable of shooting - 1 moa, sub 1, sub 1/2 etc... Then decide whether is worth getting high end glass.

wilson1911
11-01-14, 22:13
I am not sure where to start with this.....you need some software that measures the same as the scope. I use a kestral with applied ballistics on it. The tracking is not going to be exact at the longer ranges without going to a better scope. But this can be fixed on a range card. While 1000 yards is just starting to flex it legs so to speak, longer becomes even harder.

Can you share with me what your using for your loads ?

elnino31
11-02-14, 13:52
Which software are you using?