PDA

View Full Version : MOE K2 grip installation

ridgerunner70
09-06-14, 12:59
I installed the MOE K2 grip on my DDM4V1 and it's a little loose with a forward and backward movement. I have tighten the screw that came with the MOE grip and have it snug enough that if I go any further I would be afraid to strip the threads. Am I going something wrong here? I have taken the original A2 grip off to grind the finger groove off and reinstalled with no problems at all. One thing I noticed with the MOE grip is that it did not come with a lock washer like the A2 grip has on it. Any suggestions cause I would rather put the A2 grip back on,than have that amount of play in the MOE grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
09-06-14, 13:01
Mine had a pretty thick nylon patch on the screw threads. Thread it in and out a few times to break off the extra and it should fit flush unless there is something out with your receiver.

ridgerunner70
09-06-14, 13:11
Mine had a pretty thick nylon patch on the screw threads. Thread it in and out a few times to break off the extra and it should fit flush unless there is something out with your receiver.

Thank you! I will give that a try. The screw seemed tight the whole way threading it in and I did make sure I wasn't cross threaded so I assumed it was from the nylon on the screw.

Junkie
09-06-14, 13:40
Speaking of grip installations, I've seen posts saying you should use a flathead screw rather than allen. Why is that?

ridgerunner70
09-06-14, 18:16
Speaking of grip installations, I've seen posts saying you should use a flathead screw rather than allen. Why is that?

I'm thinking maybe to much torque by using an Allen wrench, but not for sure.

Failure2Stop
09-06-14, 18:40
I've given that advice in general, but the new Magpul grips come with a hybrid flat head/hex screw. Original advice was because it's easy to tighten a loose grip screw with a Leatherman than a hex, since it's rare to have an appropriately sized hex anywhere other than the work-bench.

The hex makes for initially seating the screw easier, but I generally prefer a BFS anyway.

Treiz
09-06-14, 19:35
No issues with my K2, went on easy and love the feel.

MistWolf
09-06-14, 19:53
I've given that advice in general, but the new Magpul grips come with a hybrid flat head/hex screw. Original advice was because it's easy to tighten a loose grip screw with a Leatherman than a hex, since it's rare to have an appropriately sized hex anywhere other than the work-bench.

The hex makes for initially seating the screw easier, but I generally prefer a BFS anyway.

My problem is that, while I always have Allen keys on hand, I always have to hunt for the right sized common screwdriver

Dionysusigma
09-06-14, 20:50
My problem is that, while I always have Allen keys on hand, I always have to hunt for the right sized common screwdriver

I'm the opposite. Coin? Check. Butterknife? Check. Paper clip? Check.

Allen #1: Seems too big. Allen #2: Still too big. Allen #3: Okay, it's in the screw, but it's... wait - too small. WTF? Allen #2, second try: There we g- oops, screw fell off. (10 minutes pass as I search under the workbench) (Repeat step Allen #2, second try rand(1-14)) FINALLY! (go pout with a beer)

Jakashh
09-06-14, 20:57
Me and another member on here whom I had contact with and some people on TOS had problems installing aftermarket grips on our DD rifles. There was a gap between the front of the grip and the trigger guard.

I initially suspected that the grip was the problem but Jeff at Tangodown asked me to send him my DD A2 grip, and noted that the holes in the DD A2 grip were a bit wider than those on a Colt A2 grip. He sent me some pics to document his findings.

I then contacted DD, and upon their inspection, they found and confirmed Jeff's theory that the lower was out of spec and replaced it for me.

The tangodown grip now fits. Not saying you have the same problem, but there's always a possibility.

ridgerunner70
09-06-14, 22:17
Me and another member on here whom I had contact with and some people on TOS had problems installing aftermarket grips on our DD rifles. There was a gap between the front of the grip and the trigger guard.

I initially suspected that the grip was the problem but Jeff at Tangodown asked me to send him my DD A2 grip, and noted that the holes in the DD A2 grip were a bit wider than those on a Colt A2 grip. He sent me some pics to document his findings.

I then contacted DD, and upon their inspection, they found and confirmed Jeff's theory that the lower was out of spec and replaced it for me.

The tangodown grip now fits. Not saying you have the same problem, but there's always a possibility.

I have a gap in the same place you stated.

Jakashh
09-07-14, 01:41
DD said they had heard of Magpul grips not fitting on their lowers. Some people on Arfcom were having the same problem with their DD's, with different kinds of grips. If what other advice stated in the thread doesn't work out, I'd contact DD and have them check it out. Took em a while to finally get me a shipping label, about 9 days, but they did pay for it all.

mark5pt56
09-07-14, 06:04
I just did a build and a Bravo Co Gunfighter had the same issue, just replaced with an Ergo and it's fine. Must be a minor mold variation between parts I guess.

ap1220
09-07-14, 10:04
I also just installed a K2 grip on a stripped lower and at first it looked like there was too much material on the inside of the grip or on the post of the receiver where the grip sits. Needless to say it sits firmly attached just on friction, but I didn't have any issues with the screw. I think I did like the hex over the screwdriver....

Kokopelli
09-07-14, 10:11
Just trim/file/sand to fit. Run the screw/bolt in and out a few times. Use the big flat head bolt/screw with a star washer. Tighten snugly with the big ole honking flat blade screw driver.. JMO

GH41
09-07-14, 12:15
You don't have the selector spring bound up between the grip and receiver do you?

ridgerunner70
09-07-14, 12:32
No, I checked that and it's fine.

ridgerunner70
09-07-14, 12:52

I did what you suggested and used a 3/16'' allen wrench on the bolt/screw and it tighten up solid. Thank you and have a great day!!

t15
09-07-14, 16:26
I'm the opposite. Coin? Check. Butterknife? Check. Paper clip? Check.

Allen #1: Seems too big. Allen #2: Still too big. Allen #3: Okay, it's in the screw, but it's... wait - too small. WTF? Allen #2, second try: There we g- oops, screw fell off. (10 minutes pass as I search under the workbench) (Repeat step Allen #2, second try rand(1-14)) FINALLY! (go pout with a beer)

while i sympathize with wolfs logic, your experience with allens in any job is spot on. i laughed hard, especially when doing grips.. are magnetic allen wrenches a thing? they sure should be (and i should have a set..)

to the op, maybe throw a fat washer on there just to see? i dont think its possible to bottom out the screw in the receiver, i think other guy is right in that somethings binding the threads. maybe blast some compressed air in the receiver to boot with his advice? (thread and re thread to wear down the goo on the magpul screw)

could also try rubbing alcohol on a q tip, might be wrong but i think it would evaporate quickly enough in an evening and not interfere with a thread locking compound after.

t15
09-07-14, 16:28
crap a day late and a dollar short, glad you got it sorted! :alcoholic: