PDA

View Full Version : Is Hornady 6.8 110gr V-Max OK to shoot through an AAC can?**help Kevin/AAC!**

shark31
09-19-06, 14:00
Would the Hornady V-MAX be a major no-no to shoot through a can even if it stabilizes? I heard something about no frangible rounds would be covered under warranty, but was thinking that this applied more to JSP, as the V-MAX shouldn't suffer from jacket separation. If the V-MAX round is unacceptable, then what about an SMK or another type of BTHP round?

SHIVAN
09-19-06, 14:39
If the V-MAX round is unacceptable, then what about an SMK or another type of BTHP round?

The VMAX is a ballistic tip round, I don't believe that would be considered frangible.

The SMK is OTM. Meaning that as a byproduct of the manufacturing it has a small open area in the tip.

OTM is used in Mk262. I have a hard time believing that a unit producing suppressors for the military would exclude Mk262 from use on their cans.

shark31
09-19-06, 15:10
The reason that I ask is because I found a post on "another site" that claimed velocities of 2314FPS SD (edited for accuracy)from Hornady's 115gr V-MAX 6.8 SPC out of a 10.5" LWRC upper. I love the effect that I have seen this round produce in animals, and would like the ability shoot it through my can. John Noveske said that I should net the same if not better out of my 10.5" upper. The poster also said that the SSA loaded Barnes TSX netted about 113 fps faster than the Hornady, but that these 2 were the fastest out of a whole bunch of ammo that was tested. IIRC the rest of the civilian spec SSA ammo only got up to ~2150 FPS with the Remington stuff producing even lower than that.

So I guess my question should have been will it be ok to shoot V-MAX through my can, and more importantly, will AAC's warranty be void?

SHIVAN
09-19-06, 16:33
So I guess my question should have been will it be ok to shoot V-MAX through my can, and more importantly, will AAC's warranty be void?

I guess that is a fair question. No one here can answer it, but we will await the answer from Kevin in short order.

VMAX is not frangible ammo though.

rsilvers
09-19-06, 18:40
It is ok to shoot through an AAC 6.8 or 7.62mm can. There is nothing special about that bullet. It is not frangible.

Frangible ammo is made of compressed metal powder.

shark31
09-19-06, 19:27
Great, Bambi beware! mwahahahahaha (evil laugh):D