PDA

View Full Version : Any pending new optics to fill CQB + mid range roles?

gjj
06-16-08, 18:31
This seems to be the biggest market opportunity for optics right now - a CQB + mid range optic than is cost effective for the average gun owner.

Does anyone know of new developments coming soon?

Our existing choices have serious limitations:

1. Short dot - too expensive for normal humans.
2. Acog with offset Mini red dots - bulky and awkward to use.
3. 3X optics + Red dot - Limited field of view. Lack of precision with dot.

I know other companies have tried to make something as solid as the Short Dot. It appears no one has hit the mark yet. You would think that this would be priority number one for several optics manufacturers.

Any insight?

Ron S.
06-16-08, 18:34
What are you looking for? What other option is there, even if it's just an "idea" of yours?

Why not a 1-4x with an illuminated mil dot reticle?

ErnieB
06-16-08, 18:36
A red dot sight of some type coupled with a removable magnifier will fill almost every roll one could need from a carbine IMHO.

Ron S.
06-16-08, 21:23
Yup...aimpoint or eotech with a flip-to-side mounted 3x or 4x. Does it all.

Alaskapopo
06-20-08, 04:21
This seems to be the biggest market opportunity for optics right now - a CQB + mid range optic than is cost effective for the average gun owner.

Does anyone know of new developments coming soon?

Our existing choices have serious limitations:

1. Short dot - too expensive for normal humans.
2. Acog with offset Mini red dots - bulky and awkward to use.
3. 3X optics + Red dot - Limited field of view. Lack of precision with dot.

I know other companies have tried to make something as solid as the Short Dot. It appears no one has hit the mark yet. You would think that this would be priority number one for several optics manufacturers.

Any insight?

I have a Swaraski z61 1-6 power scope with daylight illumination and I like it a lot. I bought it instead of a short dot.
Pat

Dave L.
06-20-08, 05:20
I have a Comp M4 and 3X on a LaRue Flip Mount. The 2moa dot is easy to make accurate hits at 10-200, the 3X just helps.
IMHO it's worth every penny.

sjc3081
06-20-08, 07:19
www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-cqt-riflescopes/mark-4-1-3x14mm-cqt/

M1A2_Tanker
06-20-08, 07:50
http://www.vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/view/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-riflescope

I just E-mailed them last week they are set to ship in early July.

Hootiewho
06-20-08, 11:37
One thing to consider, if you can save up and buy the short dot, especially if you pick up one on the EE, you will probably end up making money in the long run. S&B's website list another price increase, due to the falling dollar. If you buy one now, over time the resale value of the optic will grow. They have something crazy like a 30 year warrenty, and you will be hard pressed to find an optic that will have near the resale value of NIB price, much less show an increase in resale value over time.

Another thing to think about:
Short Dot 18.7oz +/-
Aimpoint M4 & 3x mag 18.2 oz +/-