PDA

View Full Version : DPMS castle nut shallow staking notch?

crosseyedshooter
09-08-14, 17:48
Ordered up the parts to swap out my UBR for a VLTOR A5 setup from Midway and unfortunately went with a DPMS castle nut as that was all they had in stock. Received the parts today and it looks like the DPMS castle nut doesn't have notches for staking, but these tiny little indentations. Is this sufficient for staking or should I return this and look for a different castle nut?

Thanks in advance.

Col_Crocs
09-08-14, 18:54
I've delt with worse... You just have to push material out and punch it down into the notch.
Didn't your A5 kit come with everything?

ROTAM
09-08-14, 20:28
You only need to move a little material. Those little notches will work fine.

crosseyedshooter
09-08-14, 21:13
The reason I ask is because my BCM has what looks to be seriously secure staking into a square notch. This is for another rifle that I built with a UBR and used in three classes so far. I want to "do it right" when switching to the A5 and I don't ever want to be "that guy" with the AR falling apart in a class.

Kain
09-08-14, 21:22
While that DPMS may work, if you are wanting to do it right I would get a better quality castle nut. I mean, it's what a $5-10 part? In the scheme of things not a lot of money for simple piece of mind. Get one from BCM or Colt and put the DPMS in the parts bin for a budget build or a back up or something.

MegademiC
09-08-14, 23:19
Just torqueing it right will hold it. Staking is insurance. There are not ft-lbs of torque backing the castle nut off. You simply want to keep it from backing out. As long as the material flows perpendicular to the interface of the two parts a decent amount, it will not back out.

markm
09-09-14, 07:05
You only need to move a little material. Those little notches will work fine.

Exactly. It's a coin toss if it will vibrate loose. I've seen a few too many do it. I stake just a little towards the edge of the notch that will hold it from turning loose.

MadtactiX
09-21-14, 02:25
I've got a DPMS Castle Nut on one of my carbines and it's held just fine w/o staking or LocTite. It's one of my more "beater" guns and so far so good, not something I get all hung up about.

Iraqgunz
09-21-14, 05:32
And at some point it won't. I have seen it countless times. There is a reason the military changed from the old style to the new style and requires it to be staked. YMMV

I've got a DPMS Castle Nut on one of my carbines and it's held just fine w/o staking or LocTite. It's one of my more "beater" guns and so far so good, not something I get all hung up about.

ROTAM
09-21-14, 09:20

At some point, that castle nut will come loose. They really needvto be staked.

MadtactiX
09-21-14, 13:52
Cool. I will let you all know when it does.

Iraqgunz
09-21-14, 14:27
Don't bother. And we'll just close this one since it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

Cool. I will let you all know when it does.