PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw Shooter Needs Pistol Advice

AR-15Tom
06-16-08, 19:29
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and have some questions about pistol selection. Like the title says, I'm a left-handed shooter and I'm looking for some advice and tech info on pistols. I have a Glock 17 now, but after talking to Grant I'm leaning towards replacing it with a S&W M&P9. I like the interchangeable grip panels and the ambi mag release/slide release features. But I'm puzzled by a few things I saw on S&W's website.

1. The S&W website it says they offer the gun with and without a mag safety. What does this mean?

2. I understand these guns come with Novak low mount sights, and tritium night sights are also available. I would think night sights would be preferable but I was hoping I could get some insight on which sights would be best.

3. While I was on vacation I stopped at a gun shop and held an M&P. This gun had S&W installed laser grips on it. What is the consensus on laser grips?

4. Is there any drawbacks to these guns that someone new to tactical shooting should be made aware of?

My background is that I've been a recreational shooter for 25 years. Plinking, bench rest, and silo shooting is what I know. I'm just beginning to train tactically.

Thanks,
Tom

Jay Cunningham
06-16-08, 19:33
1. The S&W website it says they offer the gun with and without a mag safety. What does this mean?
It means that even if there's a round in the chamber, if you drop the magazine you cannot fire the pistol.

2. I understand these guns come with Novak low mount sights, and tritium night sights are also available. I would think night sights would be preferable but I was hoping I could get some insight on which sights would be best.
Sights are a very personal thing and everyone will have a different opinion. The factory night sights should be good for you to start with.

3. While I was on vacation I stopped at a gun shop and held an M&P. This gun had S&W installed laser grips on it. What is the consensus on laser grips?
They are invaluable in night/low light conditions. However, I would recommend proper low-light training first.

4. Is there any drawbacks to these guns that someone new to tactical shooting should be made aware of?
They are very solid pistols all around - just remember your 4 rules. If you are a brand-new shooter you may be more comfortable with a manual safety version.

ToddG
06-17-08, 11:58
There are literally hundreds of thousands of left-handed shooters who use Glocks successfully. While a reversible mag release may help and an ambi slide release is probably a slight advantage, I'd recommend switching only if you really find other benefits that justify the switch.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P, own two of the full size 9mm guns myself, and shoot them pretty extensively. If you do decide to get one, you'll probably love it.

AR-15Tom
06-17-08, 20:51
There are literally hundreds of thousands of left-handed shooters who use Glocks successfully. While a reversible mag release may help and an ambi slide release is probably a slight advantage, I'd recommend switching only if you really find other benefits that justify the switch.

I'm a huge fan of the M&P, own two of the full size 9mm guns myself, and shoot them pretty extensively. If you do decide to get one, you'll probably love it.

Thanks for the insight. I also like the interchangeable grip panel feature as the medium panel fits my hand better than the Glock. Although I haven't fired an M&P yet, simulating drawing the weapon from a holster the M&P seems to be easier to aim, if that makes sense. I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot an M&P head-to-head against the Glock before I purchase one.

Renegade
06-17-08, 22:44
They are invaluable in night/low light conditions. However, I would recommend proper low-light training first.

However if you are left-handed, right-handed CT laser grips are nearly useless, as your grip will probably cover up the light. You may want to try before you buy.

Chessbay
06-18-08, 17:38
I'm a lefty and have shot "right handed" guns for years.

I love my M&P 9mm. The ambi slide release is very, very nice and it took about one minute to change the mag release from right to left. I really did not know what a "luxury" it was to have a gun set up for left handed shooting until I actually bought one.

I also have an XD .45 with the ambi mag realease, but given the choice I'd take the M&P. Not becasue the XD does not perform well, but because the M&P is more comfortable to shoot.

The Glock is a fine gun, but you should not be forced to shoot a gun set up for right handed folks. It's good to be fairly comfortable shooting any type gun, but it makes it much more enjoyable when it's set up for you.

AR-15Tom
06-18-08, 21:52
I'm a lefty and have shot "right handed" guns for years.

I love my M&P 9mm. The ambi slide release is very, very nice and it took about one minute to change the mag release from right to left. I really did not know what a "luxury" it was to have a gun set up for left handed shooting until I actually bought one.

I also have an XD .45 with the ambi mag realease, but given the choice I'd take the M&P. Not becasue the XD does not perform well, but because the M&P is more comfortable to shoot.

The Glock is a fine gun, but you should not be forced to shoot a gun set up for right handed folks. It's good to be fairly comfortable shooting any type gun, but it makes it much more enjoyable when it's set up for you.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been shooting right handed guns for years for leisure, and have even went as far as to teach myself to shoot righty almost as well as I shoot lefty. But I do prefer to shoot left handed, and given the choice I want a gun that's set up for me.