PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking to much?

R1pper
06-16-08, 21:09
I am trying to sell my M&P.40 because my department has finally authorized the M&P .45 for duty use. I offered it to my buddy first considering he is currently looking for a pistol. I offered it to him for $350 and he will get the pistol, three 10 round mags, three 15 round mags, a Desantis three slot holster, and about 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger (bonded) carry ammo.

His response to me was that he will think about it, because he wants to shop around and see if he can get a better deal. For $350 he will be lucky to get a piece of shit sigma or a glock that has been beat to shit. I understand I have about 5000 rounds through it, but it has been very well maintained. I am fanatical, even borderline OCD about weapons maintenance.

Am I really asking to much for this pistol. I bought brand new right when they were approved for duty use and I paid about $550 and I still had to buy the three 15 round mags seperate at $41 each, because it only came with the ten rounds mags.

-DM-

mark5pt56
06-16-08, 21:38
I always do reverse math on these things. Consider the extra mags, ammo and holster, deduct that from the asking price an dthat's what the gun goes for. The holster thing is subject, dependant on the make, etc. Sometimes, they are along for the ride unless it's something nice.

I think he's getting a great deal since you are closing on 100 worth of extra's

Mark

rayray
06-16-08, 21:45
Thats a damn good deal. M&P .40's are great weapons.

In2Deep
06-16-08, 22:02
I am trying to sell my M&P.40 because my department has finally authorized the M&P .45 for duty use. I offered it to my buddy first considering he is currently looking for a pistol. I offered it to him for $350 and he will get the pistol, three 10 round mags, three 15 round mags, a Desantis three slot holster, and about 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger (bonded) carry ammo.

His response to me was that he will think about it, because he wants to shop around and see if he can get a better deal. For $350 he will be lucky to get a piece of shit sigma or a glock that has been beat to shit. I understand I have about 5000 rounds through it, but it has been very well maintained. I am fanatical, even borderline OCD about weapons maintenance.

Am I really asking to much for this pistol. I bought brand new right when they were approved for duty use and I paid about $550 and I still had to buy the three 15 round mags seperate at $41 each, because it only came with the ten rounds mags.

-DM-

Q: What's cheaper than a Cop?

A: 2 Cops...

R1pper
06-16-08, 22:15

A: 2 Cops...

Nah he's a hosehead!

-DM-

Lagadelphia
06-16-08, 22:17

-DM-

I don't care much for the M&P but I'd buy that in a heart beat for $350 if I was in the market.

ST911
06-16-08, 22:42
Nah he's a hosehead! -DM-

Everyone knows hoseheads can't do math. :D

Dr. Quickdraw Mcgraw
06-17-08, 16:14
sell it elsewhere, you gave your buddy first refusal, you aren't lay-a-way.

ToddG
06-17-08, 16:20
The problem with selling guns and accessories is that you factor the accessories into your price, and the buyer usually sees them as "free extras." So you're selling a $450 gun w/5k rounds through it for $350. He probably doesn't even know what the ammo is worth.

Ironically, you could probably sell the 10rd mags and holster separately over at mp-pistol.com, then offer just the gun w/ three 15rd mags for the same price and someone will probably snatch it up. As for the ammo, keep it. You never know when you might want another .40 some day.

DrMark
06-17-08, 16:38
An Engineer?

...seems like a real good price.

RD62
06-17-08, 17:08
I'd sell the gun and whatever mags it came with on gunbroker and list extra mags etc seperately.

Seems like a good deal to me though...

-RD62

Saginaw79
06-17-08, 17:52
Thats a great deal. Im not sure what your friend expects, for that price all hes gonna get in a Sigma or some saturday night esque special like the Bersa and that before ammo and mags and a holster.

Id have been all over that!

DrewH
06-17-08, 19:43
That seems a fair enough deal, but suppose he doesn't want that holster, or ammo? Or the ten round mags.

That is the problem with accessories, holsters and ammo are very particular to individuals. And 5,000 rounds is a non-trivial amount, it is not like the gun is brand new.

You might be better off puting it on consignment at $450 even if they take 20 percent. I suspect it would sell at that, and you could offload the ammo and holster separately.