PDA

View Full Version : indiana handgun permit

bowman57_2
09-10-14, 01:17
I have my handgun permit and just got my first pistol, a g19, a few weeks ago. Ive read on some laws on carrying a pistol in indiana but i cant follow all that legal wording junk.
Does a indiana handgun permit mean that you can carry open or concealed? The way i understand it in indiana if you have a permit you can carry either way?
Any other advice on carrying would help just to keep me on the safe side too.
Thanks

Zim
09-10-14, 02:26
Indiana Gun Owners Forum (http://ingunowners.com/forums/) might be of some help to you.

roboa89
09-10-14, 04:49
Indiana issues a handgun permit, there are no laws in Indiana regarding open/concealed carry of your handgun, once you obtain your permit.As long as you have your little pink permit your good to go with either. You can go to ingunowners forum and let them break it down and explain it to you more thoroughly if you'd like. Oh and welcome from a fellow Hoosier and good choice on your first handgun!

roboa89
09-10-14, 05:55
Indiana requires a license for most methods of carrying a handgun. Indiana laws are silent concerning the manner of carry therefore laws cover open carry, concealed carry, vehicle carry and locked case carry. There are exceptions for carrying a handgun unloaded, not readily accessible, and secured in a case in a vehicle, on your own property, from place of purchase and to a firearm range for the purpose of practice.[3]

Indiana is a "shall issue" state for the License To Carry a Handgun.[4] A license to carry will be issued to individuals age 18 or older who meet a number of legal requirements. Currently both limited term and unlimited lifetime licenses are available.

.....from Wikipedia regarding open vs. concealed legality.

Fordtough25
09-10-14, 07:30
Yep, like already said having your Indiana License to carry a handgun (LTCH) you can carry concealed or open. There are a few restricted places like post offices, courtrooms, etc... Knowing everything takes research and observance. Also welcome from another Hoosier. :)

bowman57_2
09-10-14, 10:53
Sweet thanks guys i knew i couldnt i couldnt carry in the courthouse but i had no idea i couldnt at the post office. Thanks for the heads up.

ADDICTED2TONE
09-12-14, 05:46
All is said correctly above. You can open or concealed carry your handgun except for restricted places.
Welcome from another Hoosier. I am from Corydon.