PDA

View Full Version : Constant Private Messaging and Email Notifications Problems

Razorhunter
06-16-08, 22:41
Guys,
Up until a year or so ago, all of my notifications settings worked flawlessly.
This means that:

-EVERY time I received a PM from another member, I would receive email notifiction of it, AND IF cruising the forums at the time, I would ALSO receive a "Pop UP" notification of the PM.
For some reason, now, I NO LONGER receive the POP UP PM notification, when someone sends a PM to me, WHILE I'm cruising the forums.

WHY is this? I have changed NOTHING on my end. I NEVER have installed a "Pop Up Blocker" at all.
This is a relatively minor issue, but I'd still like to get it fixed.

Second problem:
This is the one that bothers me most.

My email notifications to subscribed threads works fine, but it actually works a litte TOO FINE.
It seems that MANY times (not ALL the time however), I will receive 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or EVEN MORE email notifications for the EXACT same thread, even though I've not logged into the forum to check the thread.
HOWEVER, sometimes this happens with only certain threads, and others it WILL NOT happen with.
One example is the infamous "AR Picture Thread". IF 20 people replied to this thread today, then I got 20 seperate email notifications when I got home from work today. This is one example of many where this happens.
However, there are many other threads, where I only got ONE email notification (which is the proper # that I should have received).
Can anyone explain this?
It's been this way for a LONG time, and I'm only just now asking about it. It gets tiring to see so many notifications for the same thread in my inbox though.
I'd like to get this fixed as well.
Thanks in advance guys.

C4IGrant
06-17-08, 11:01
Guys,
Up until a year or so ago, all of my notifications settings worked flawlessly.
This means that:

-EVERY time I received a PM from another member, I would receive email notifiction of it, AND IF cruising the forums at the time, I would ALSO receive a "Pop UP" notification of the PM.
For some reason, now, I NO LONGER receive the POP UP PM notification, when someone sends a PM to me, WHILE I'm cruising the forums.

WHY is this? I have changed NOTHING on my end. I NEVER have installed a "Pop Up Blocker" at all.
This is a relatively minor issue, but I'd still like to get it fixed.

Second problem:
This is the one that bothers me most.

My email notifications to subscribed threads works fine, but it actually works a litte TOO FINE.
It seems that MANY times (not ALL the time however), I will receive 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or EVEN MORE email notifications for the EXACT same thread, even though I've not logged into the forum to check the thread.
HOWEVER, sometimes this happens with only certain threads, and others it WILL NOT happen with.
One example is the infamous "AR Picture Thread". IF 20 people replied to this thread today, then I got 20 seperate email notifications when I got home from work today. This is one example of many where this happens.
However, there are many other threads, where I only got ONE email notification (which is the proper # that I should have received).
Can anyone explain this?
It's been this way for a LONG time, and I'm only just now asking about it. It gets tiring to see so many notifications for the same thread in my inbox though.
I'd like to get this fixed as well.
Thanks in advance guys.

Did you check your settings under User CP?

If you have your options setup to receive an e-mail everytime someone posts in a thread you are subscribed too, then you can and will get 20 e-mails.
You can change it from dailey to weekly or just turn off a subscription.

C4

Razorhunter
06-17-08, 18:42
Ok,
I was unaware that "Instant Notification" would email EVERY TIME, even when I've not logged into the forums recently.
Many other forums, will ONLY EMAIL ONCE, until you visit the thread again, and then will email next time a reply is sent.
Anyhow, it sounds like I need to use the "Daily" notifications? I HOPE that means that I will receive a notification the INSTANT someone replies to the thread, but only once will I receive a notification, EVEN IF 20 people reply?
However, will the system ONLY email me ONCE EACH DAY, OR if I visit the forum, will it email me again???
I was just thinking that "Daily" would email me one summary email at the end of each day.

I just want to be notified IMMEDIATELY after someone replies, but I DO NOT WANT to receive 20 emails because 20 people replied.
I will try daily.

I still cannot figure out the Private Messaging issue. I just CANNOT get the system to POP UP a box in a new window when someone sends a PM to me! Every other forum I frequent will do this, and the pop up box works fine on said forums.
Thanks guys.

C4IGrant
06-18-08, 08:26
Ok,
I was unaware that "Instant Notification" would email EVERY TIME, even when I've not logged into the forums recently.

This does not make much sense. You would want to be notified no matter if you were logged in or not. This way you know if you NEEDED to login or not.

Many other forums, will ONLY EMAIL ONCE, until you visit the thread again, and then will email next time a reply is sent.

You get e-mailed every time someone posts in a thread (if you have it setup that way. This is the way most all forums operate.

Anyhow, it sounds like I need to use the "Daily" notifications? I HOPE that means that I will receive a notification the INSTANT someone replies to the thread, but only once will I receive a notification, EVEN IF 20 people reply?
However, will the system ONLY email me ONCE EACH DAY, OR if I visit the forum, will it email me again???
I was just thinking that "Daily" would email me one summary email at the end of each day.

It should work that way. I do not use the notifactions that way so you will have to play around with it to find what works best for you.

I just want to be notified IMMEDIATELY after someone replies, but I DO NOT WANT to receive 20 emails because 20 people replied.
I will try daily.

The problem I see to that is if someone replies, BUT is not the answer or the person you wanted to see reply then you will get no more notifications the rest of the day. The SW has no idea on which person you are waiting for a reply from.

I still cannot figure out the Private Messaging issue. I just CANNOT get the system to POP UP a box in a new window when someone sends a PM to me! Every other forum I frequent will do this, and the pop up box works fine on said forums.
Thanks guys.

You could have a number of pop up blockers. They come in the anti-virus SW, firewalls, Google and Yahoo tool bars, etc.

I personally hate pop up windows so I turn them off.

C4