PDA

View Full Version : Army Officer Denied Entrance to School Due to "Offensive" Uniform

Outlander Systems
09-10-14, 19:01
Baker's wife Rachel Ferhadson says, "Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry you're not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren't allowed because it may offend another student."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26491600/army-officer-is-told-he-cant-enter-his-daughters-high-school-because-hes-wearing-his-uniform

Sometimes, I seriously have to pinch myself. I thought this was The Onion.

What Communist, insane, bizarro hell has this country turned into?

El Cid
09-10-14, 19:24
Sickening. Unfortunately whoever set that policy is not likely to comprehend how pathetic he/she is and why the policy is more offensive than upsetting some candy ass teacher or student with the presence of our nation's finest.

Time for the recruiters to make weekly stops there.

MountainRaven
09-10-14, 19:26
I would promptly complain about the security guard. Especially his uniform. My children shouldn't feel like they're in a police state, a prison, or an armed camp - it is negatively impacting their ability to learn.

Sensei
09-10-14, 19:48
Sickening. Unfortunately whoever set that policy is not likely to comprehend how pathetic he/she is and why the policy is more offensive than upsetting some candy ass teacher or student with the presence of our nation's finest.

Time for the recruiters to make weekly stops there.

After reading the entire article and response from the superintendent, it does not appear that there is a policy at play. This was an incident where a school security guard, who has an IQ just 2 points above your typical mall security guard, applied his own independent judgement and decision making. This is why my kid goes to private school; I have a lot more control over the caliber of supervision with my checkbook. Well, that and I don't trust people pulled from the DMV tallent pool teaching my son.

williejc
09-10-14, 19:48
Let's say a kid--or anybody else for that matter--was offended. So what? Schools should prepare people for life, and one method is to teach students to tolerate and respect those who might not fit into one of their narrow categories. In most instances, keeping one's mouth shut will do nicely. I would have never dreamed that an American soldier's uniform might be offensive to a citizen.

SeriousStudent
09-10-14, 20:05
Any child offended by the sight of the uniform should be made to pump put one hundred pushups, followed by a hearty "HOOAH, COLONEL BAKER!"

And I'd make the "security guard" do two hundred.

Koshinn
09-10-14, 20:05
Who doesn't think UCP is offensive?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
09-10-14, 20:11

You totally LOL'd me with that, bro.

El Cid
09-10-14, 20:36
After reading the entire article and response from the superintendent, it does not appear that there is a policy at play. This was an incident where a school security guard, who has an IQ just 2 points above your typical mall security guard, applied his own independent judgement and decision making. This is why my kid goes to private school; I have a lot more control over the caliber of supervision with my checkbook. Well, that and I don't trust people pulled from the DMV tallent pool teaching my son.
That's certainly possible. Detroit has a high percentage of muslims and arabs so perhaps the guard has a personal agenda? Knowing what I do about our schools and how most working in them tend to be very left leaning, I suspect the guard was following orders.

Let's say a kid--or anybody else for that matter--was offended. So what? Schools should prepare people for life, and one method is to teach students to tolerate and respect those who might not fit into one of their narrow categories.

Not in a world where everyone is "entitled" to anything they want and we give out 9th place ribbons and participation trophies.

Caduceus
09-10-14, 20:36
Lucky for him, that guy had some control. I probably would have been up in his face and then in the admin office raising immediate hell. Promptly followed by taking my kid out of the school with me - and no, I wouldn't be giving them a note for her absence that day.

Campbell
09-10-14, 21:46
vvvvv My initial thoughts exactly...

That's certainly possible. Detroit has a high percentage of muslims and arabs so perhaps the guard has a personal agenda? Knowing what I do about our schools and how most working in them tend to be very left leaning, I suspect the guard was following orders.

Not in a world where everyone is "entitled" to anything they want and we give out 9th place ribbons and participation trophies.

SeriousStudent
09-10-14, 22:22

Chortle. I am tempted to now lock the thread and make it a sticky. :cool:

Well played.

thopkins22
09-10-14, 23:10
The article is incredibly poorly written. Given the state of journalism in general, and what I can only assume the state of journalism is in Detroit, I'm not convinced that this happened at all.

Sherwood, who has served in the Army for 24 years, was told by Rochester Adams High School security that if he wanted to get into the school with his daughter he was going to have to go home and change his clothes.

Baker's wife Rachel Ferhadson says, "Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry you're not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren't allowed because it may offend another student."

Baker says he was simply coming to the school to speak with his daughter's counselor regarding her class schedule but was turned away at the doors because he was not wearing a tie.

Was it that there was no uniforms allowed? Was it because he wasn't in a tie?

Also, if the article is correct he was allowed into the school...and I imagine that heads are rolling there as we speak.

It's possible that there was a rule that no military style uniforms were allowed on campus, meaning fatigues or some other articles that were being worn by a certain disreputable crowd(gangs etc....) Without the thought that someone might actually apply that rule to someone in a real uniform. Like a no steel toe boot rule being applied to a construction worker coming to pick up his kid or work on some masonry.

NWPilgrim
09-10-14, 23:10
He should consider it fair warning about the type of education his daughter is receiving there. Common sense says to get her the hell out of that dump.

SteyrAUG
09-10-14, 23:26
He should consider it fair warning about the type of education his daughter is receiving there. Common sense says to get her the hell out of that dump.

Not every person in uniform has the funds for private school and when it comes to public school they don't get much say in the one "assigned" to them by the county.

That said, I hope this story makes it's way around the internet, resulting in a wicked backlash that has the security guard working the drive up window at McDonalds and the school administrator doing backflips and a tap dance trying to explain how they are NOT "anti military."

If we are going to have BS PC nonsense then "military" needs to be the new "black."

thopkins22
09-10-14, 23:39
No chance the policy was for things like this...and was simply misapplied by someone who can barely fog a mirror?http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=8jkkbzo96jYHXM&tbnid=zQN0qKO4AB8bDM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frap.genius.com%2F114795%2FWiz-khalifa-taylor-gang%2FCamo-shorts-go-with-anything-i-wanna-wear&ei=SCcRVKafCJK1yASC3IGwAg&bvm=bv.74894050,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNFFLZ5522Tnr4uHcpaACstW0TWEJQ&ust=1410496703633407

Denali
09-11-14, 00:30
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26491600/army-officer-is-told-he-cant-enter-his-daughters-high-school-because-hes-wearing-his-uniform

Sometimes, I seriously have to pinch myself. I thought this was The Onion.

What Communist, insane, bizarro hell has this country turned into?

Voting democrat comes with terrible consequences, this is nothing new, business as usual for the democrat controlled USA....Consider, we live a nation where the democrat party is dedicated to obstructing English as the official spoken language, and which extends greater political representation to illegal aliens than its does US citizens! We have a sitting US senator from Illinois who is openly inciting illegal aliens to take over the country, not to mention the former Illinois senator currently acting as the nations chief executive and whom a reasonable argument could be made, that in all likelihood he himself is an illegal alien! There's nothing even remotely entertaining about these outrages, its quite literally insane!

NWPilgrim
09-11-14, 02:58
Not every person in uniform has the funds for private school and when it comes to public school they don't get much say in the one "assigned" to them by the county.

That said, I hope this story makes it's way around the internet, resulting in a wicked backlash that has the security guard working the drive up window at McDonalds and the school administrator doing backflips and a tap dance trying to explain how they are NOT "anti military."

If we are going to have BS PC nonsense then "military" needs to be the new "black."

When your kids are being "taught" and controlled by nincompoops and idiots then it is time to do something about their future. Homeschool, private or move to a better part of town or a better town.

But if staying in the same shithole is more important than your kid's mind, don't be surprised how they turn out. We always have choices, it's just that most will not take the risk or make the sacrifice some choices entail.

Most parents I know sending kids to private school are not wealthy. They just make major family sacrifices to make it happen. Like we did when we made the switch. And at least most parochial schools have generous financial assistance for families that need it and accept kids of every faith.

Hoping the guard gets his ass in a slung is passive and does not solve the issue that the school is a place an idiot such as this guard felt comfortable enough to make this decision. Personally I think a kid deserves better and if it were me i would have my kids out if that zoo immediately, give them a week vacation and figure out plan B.

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-14, 03:30
I bet if he was not wearing a shirt, donning ass less chaps, a dog collar, a leather biker cap, and waiving a rainbow flag he would have been allowed in.

docsherm
09-11-14, 09:20
I bet if he was not wearing a shirt, donning ass less chaps, a dog collar, a leather biker cap, and waiving a rainbow flag he would have been allowed in.

All chaps are assless........and ACUs are the most offincive uniform EVER! ;)

Do people actually expect more for that place?

skydivr
09-11-14, 09:32
The guard should provide a written (if he can write, that is) apology to the soldier. I also, at a sizeable expense, send my daughter to private school to try and give her the best chance I can. They know I'm retired, and every letter I get from them is addressed with my Rank, even though I am retired...

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-14, 14:57
All chaps are assless........and ACUs are the most offincive uniform EVER!

LOL. this is true, but I always feel compelled to point that fact how for some reason when mentioning them.

SteyrAUG
09-11-14, 17:57
When your kids are being "taught" and controlled by nincompoops and idiots then it is time to do something about their future. Homeschool, private or move to a better part of town or a better town.

Do you honestly believe those options exist for every member of the military?

Voodoo_Man
09-11-14, 17:59
Detroit.

Color me surprised.

NWPilgrim
09-11-14, 18:12
Do you honestly believe those options exist for every member of the military?

I would guess that most military rent houses or apartments as they move around every few years. So, yes, I think the majority of military members COULD choose to move to another school area. I've seen vast differences in schools within the same district. Some could choose to homeschool which would actually be easier on the kids then being "the new kid" at another school every 2-4 years. Not easy, not cheap but a choice.

We are not helpless victims in this world.

Mauser KAR98K
09-12-14, 12:11
Detroit.

Color me surprised.

That's racist.

Voodoo_Man
09-12-14, 13:33
That's racist.

Getting called a racist when talking about Detroit and being white.

Again, color me surprised.

Mauser KAR98K
09-12-14, 13:51

And that's...oh never mind, you got the idea.

Moose-Knuckle
09-12-14, 15:44

Dude, your white that makes you automatically racist.

Voodoo_Man
09-12-14, 15:54
Dude, your white that makes you automatically racist.

I just say im white.

Im actually asain.

And black.

screw it im american.

Jokin btw...