PDA

View Full Version : GOT TO TELL YALL...MEXICAN COKE IS THE STUFF!

Straight Shooter
09-11-14, 20:35
Been wanting to try some Mexican Coke a Cola latelty. Been wanting to mix it up with some Jack Daniels and reminisce a bit. Well, I went to lib paradise today....EARTHFARE...and got 5 bottles of Coke, and one Mexican Pepsi, cause I never had it at all.
Well sir...that first sip sho nuff brought me back, and I remembered what Coke was supposed to really taste like.
Then...made a few with JD.....just..damn.
Yall try it if you get the chance. I think it was $1.69 a bottle. Not bad. Sittin here eatin Cracker Barrel cheese, and drinkin Jack & Mexican Coke. Good times!;)

lunchbox
09-11-14, 20:42
Gotta admit, didn't know there was a Mexican coke vs American coke difference... And thought you were talking about something else when I read thread title. All letters in caps, you seemed really excited, just sayin:p

Zim
09-11-14, 20:45
Pepsi made throwback versions of Pepsi and Mtn. Dew for a while, and Dublin Dr. Pepper was legit until they were forced to stop making it.

Straight Shooter
09-11-14, 21:03
HA..lunchbox....that's the JACK, nothing else!

Lnxgeek
09-11-14, 21:07
My Costco carries it, so I get it by the case!

Trajan
09-11-14, 21:09
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

You should drink water.

lunchbox
09-11-14, 21:11
HA..lunchbox....that's the JACK, nothing else!Sure, that's what they all say:D. All kidding aside, now I'm going to have to track down some Mexican coke to try for myself. The M4C wills it!!

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-14, 21:28
Its pretty plentiful down here, in fact most of the eateries the wife and I frequent carry it. The Mexicans still do Coke right, real sugar and in a glass bottle. Nothing beats the taste. Personally I'm a Dr. Pepper man so I opt for what is formerly known as Dublin Dr. Peppers as they too are still made the right way with pure cane sugar and come in glass bottles.

Pork Chop
09-11-14, 21:49
SteyrAug put it perfectly in a thread once upon a time. Mexican coke comes with Mexican water, so, pass.

I'm sure it's absolutely delightful, but, pass.

Mak8080
09-11-14, 21:55
The real thing for sure.

Straight Shooter
09-11-14, 22:13
Dude...the water in the Coke is FINE.

wildcard600
09-11-14, 22:18
Dude...the water in the Coke is FINE.

exactly. mexican beer is made with mexican water and its fine too. if they were using contaminated water there would be exploding bottles all the time. also i doubt that much nasty stuff could live in coke die to the PH, i know this is the case for beer.

eodinert
09-11-14, 22:22
I no longer wonder why people make fun of Americans when they finally build up the nerve to go abroad.

TriviaMonster
09-11-14, 23:12
All we drank in TJ was glass bottle coke and ate TGI Fridays.

SteyrAUG
09-11-14, 23:13
exactly. mexican beer is made with mexican water and its fine too. if they were using contaminated water there would be exploding bottles all the time. also i doubt that much nasty stuff could live in coke die to the PH, i know this is the case for beer.

Not sure I want to put my faith in Mexican quality control. That said, I'd love it if Canada were to do the same thing. I miss coke with sugar, one of the few good things from the 70s.

Honu
09-11-14, 23:54
arizona its in all the stores it seems :) that and tons of other flavors

when I lived in Honduras they serve it in plastic bags :) so you get a coke unless you want to pay deposit on the bottle they pour it in a bag then put a straw in and tie a knot ? very strange at first

MountainRaven
09-11-14, 23:59
Not sure I want to put my faith in Mexican quality control. That said, I'd love it if Canada were to do the same thing. I miss coke with sugar, one of the few good things from the 70s.

Why not just do it here?

SilverBullet432
09-12-14, 00:31

Lots of goodies come out of MX that are just fine. Sodas for one, candies, chewing gum. They are made in a factory you know, not under a palm tree shack in the middle of BFE.

SteyrAUG
09-12-14, 01:07
Why not just do it here?

Because we need to subsidize the corn crop.

http://www.ussugar.com/sugar/sugar_facts.html

NAFTA made Mexico the only sugar producer-domestic or foreign-with unlimited access to the U.S. market.

SteyrAUG
09-12-14, 01:09
Lots of goodies come out of MX that are just fine. Sodas for one, candies, chewing gum. They are made in a factory you know, not under a palm tree shack in the middle of BFE.

And yet I've seen plenty of US industries staffed almost exclusively by Mexicans have regular outbreaks of things like Ecoli and that is US food producers.

ptmccain
09-12-14, 07:08
Mexico still uses real sugar, cane sugar, in their soft drinks, not corn syrup.

'nuff said.

JBecker 72
09-12-14, 08:10
I also love Mexican Coke. Tastes much better than the stuff we get here with corn syrup. It was much easier to find when I lived in CA, but here in VA the Hispanic grocery store has it along with other tasty soft drinks.

Shao
09-12-14, 08:19

I could argue with you on this one. I can drink German and American beer all day (Belgian, Dutch, Japanese, etc...) and feel fine the next morning. Corona gives me heartburn (in fact it's the only substance on EARTH that gives me heartburn) and Tecate gives me a condition that I lovingly refer to as "Tecate-Ass" the next day that makes my gas smell like the Pits of Gehenna.

Anyway, being from Texas - I can attest that Mexican Coca-Cola is indeed better than US Coca-Cola. It's the cane sugar that they use instead of high-fructose corn syrup. Moose-Knuckle brought up a good point too - the glass bottle. I'm still not convinced that we should be eating or drinking anything out of a plastic container.

BoringGuy45
09-12-14, 09:15
Mexican Coke is very popular around here and you can usually find it in Giant, Wegman's, and just about any mom and pop general store type of place. The truth is, one can usually taste the difference between a soda made with HFCS or cane sugar without even being told what the sweetener is. It's also about texture; your mouth will feel a lot slimier after drinking something with corn syrup as opposed to sugar.

CrazyFingers
09-12-14, 09:46
My wife loves the Mexican cane sugar cokes. There's a store down the road that carries them for $.89 each, and also has Mexican Fanta grape, orange, and strawberry made with cane sugar. It's a crying shame I don't like Pepsi, because most stores around here carry the Pepsi Throwback in 24-can cases made with cane sugar.
C'mon Coca-Cola, give your U.S. customers what they want.

wildcard600
09-12-14, 09:53
I could argue with you on this one. I can drink German and American beer all day (Belgian, Dutch, Japanese, etc...) and feel fine the next morning. Corona gives me heartburn (in fact it's the only substance on EARTH that gives me heartburn) and Tecate gives me a condition that I lovingly refer to as "Tecate-Ass" the next day that makes my gas smell like the Pits of Gehenna.

Anyway, being from Texas - I can attest that Mexican Coca-Cola is indeed better than US Coca-Cola. It's the cane sugar that they use instead of high-fructose corn syrup. Moose-Knuckle brought up a good point too - the glass bottle. I'm still not convinced that we should be eating or drinking anything out of a plastic container.

you do realize that different beers have different ingredients right ?

brickboy240
09-12-14, 10:04
We've known about Mexican Coke here in South Texas for many years!

Yes...it is much better. I don't drink very many soft drinks at all but Dublin Dr. Pepper and Mexican Coke are two that I will drink now and then.

Try a Jarritos Tamarind soda some time....another delicious Mexican import. Lime Topo Chico is also very good.

-brickboy240

Shao
09-12-14, 10:31
you do realize that different beers have different ingredients right ?

Of course... I used to be a huge beer fan and have tried many micro-brewed and just about every major beer on the market. I can't recall one Mexican beer besides Dos Equis (which technically isn't even a Mexican beer) that didn't either give me an adverse physical reaction while I was drinking it or more commonly, the next day.

It's not just Mexican beers either.... Bud Light has some sort of secret ingredient that doesn't allow me to catch a buzz off it. Once I reach about 10, I barely have a buzz, and then the puking starts. There are a lot by-products left over in some beers that don't agree with me. All Mexican beers apparently contain them (or at least the ones I've tried).

I can down a 12 pack of Heineken or Shiner Bock and run a marathon the next day. If I drink four Negro Modelos, I'm on the toilet for at least a couple of hours the next day.

EDIT: All German beers that I've tried (which is many) ,except for Warsteiner (I firmly believe it to be repackaged Budweiser) agree 100% with my system - I think it has something to do with their purity laws, which need to be passed in the US. We've got too much rot gut on the shelves for a developed nation.

wildcard600
09-12-14, 11:03
Of course... I used to be a huge beer fan and have tried many micro-brewed and just about every major beer on the market. I can't recall one Mexican beer besides Dos Equis (which technically isn't even a Mexican beer) that didn't either give me an adverse physical reaction while I was drinking it or more commonly, the next day.

It's not just Mexican beers either.... Bud Light has some sort of secret ingredient that doesn't allow me to catch a buzz off it. Once I reach about 10, I barely have a buzz, and then the puking starts. There are a lot by-products left over in some beers that don't agree with me. All Mexican beers apparently contain them (or at least the ones I've tried).

I can down a 12 pack of Heineken or Shiner Bock and run a marathon the next day. If I drink four Negro Modelos, I'm on the toilet for at least a couple of hours the next day.

EDIT: All German beers that I've tried (which is many) ,except for Warsteiner (I firmly believe it to be repackaged Budweiser) agree 100% with my system - I think it has something to do with their purity laws, which need to be passed in the US. We've got too much rot gut on the shelves for a developed nation.

again i think to has to do with the ingredients and not the water.

one
09-12-14, 17:46
You can get that stuff all day long at Wal Mart here.

I've not had the Mexican coke but have had the Mexican Pepsi and thought it tasted like sugared shit. But maybe I've been poisoned by artificialness for too many years now. I guess I might try the Mexican coke.

Alpha Sierra
09-13-14, 18:12
But maybe I've been poisoned by artificialness for too many years now.

Yep. Having grown up in a sugar-producing caribbean island in the 70s, I can safely say that your taste buds have atrophied.

Talon167
09-13-14, 19:06
Pepsi Throwback FTW!

The_War_Wagon
09-13-14, 19:57
Don't forget - Mexican ICE CUBES are made of what? :eek:

Ready.Fire.Aim
09-13-14, 20:32
Try a Jarritos Tamarind soda some time....another delicious Mexican import. -brickboy240

When I go through town in the evening, I stop at the taqueria trailer & get a bottle of Jarritos Tamarind soda to go with my grilled meat/ onions/ peppers taco made fresh. Goes together great.

FYI- US made Dr Pepper Classic is made with cane sugar.