PDA

View Full Version : Saw something interesting a few weeks ago... (Dog handlers input needed)

alienb1212
09-12-14, 21:59
So I was in a larger local gun shop up here in the state a few months ago. Doing my normal killing time rotation through the store, I notice there is a local county deputy with his working dog soaking up the attention like they seem to do normally. No problem, whatever. I move in and begin to listen to the conversation, and the handler is asking the guy at the counter for a compact green laser. Guy behind the counter doesn't have any, starts going on about how in the Army he used red and that's all you need and blablabla, but they deputy insists it must be green. When asked why green, he said "The dog can't see red well during the daytime" After the employee probed a bit more, the handler claimed that the laser was a reward for the dog. Immediately stopped what I was doing and began paying 100% attention to their conversation. The deputy then pulled out a larger pen-style green laser with a large spread dot and began shining it around near the counter. The dog IMMEDIATELY performed the action that I would consider an "alert" (the dog stopped all action and placed both his paws in a stationary position where he had last seen the laser, and froze) This did not seem like the usual food treat or rubber toy that I've seen 99% of other handlers throw for the animal when he's finished with a search, and the dog did not react to it as I've seen others react when being rewarded. The deputy also did not provide positive verbal reinforcement when aiming the laser, either. It was clear to me, he had trained the dog to alert on whatever he aimed the laser at.

I waited outside near his SUV, (I had parked near it) and when he came outside, and put the dog in the cage, asked him, "Why is it you need your dog to alert on demand?" He looked confused, then angry, and did a double take, immediately squaring up on me and began approaching me, saying "What the hell do you think you're talking about? You got any ID? You have a warrant or something?" I got in my car and immediately left, (not his county anyway)

I wrote his name down and have some information on this guy, after doing some basic searching and asking a few local LE contacts. Would I be off base to contact his department and file a...complaint? Ask questions?

What should I do here? I don't really care how my interaction went with him, I'm rather upset that the guy apparently has his dog alert on demand, and in my state that's probable cause for a complete tear-apart of a vehicle.

williejc
09-12-14, 22:30
Sounds like you stumbled upon his intentions.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-12-14, 23:35
Interesting.

Bahhh, You must have been listening to Alex Jones or something, that kind of thing never happens.

Airhasz
09-13-14, 00:13
Never invite the man into your life.

JBecker 72
09-13-14, 00:30
If true this has a direct relation to another active topic here on search and seize tactics.

Vash1023
09-13-14, 00:56
his reaction says it all. he wouldn't be the first dog handler to train his dog to alert on command.

and unfortunately i doubt there's anything you can do about it.

jpmuscle
09-13-14, 05:02
The fact that he asked YOU if you had a warrant says a lot IMO.

Straight Shooter
09-13-14, 06:44
Brother...DO SOMETHING, please. Maybe someone hear can PM you with info, I hope. I believe you flat out COLD BUSTED the guy.
If any hear can think up ONE reason to have a drug dog do this on command, by means PLEASE chime in.
This right hear is why I, and others simply do not trust law enforcement.

Eurodriver
09-13-14, 07:01
Was this a drug sniffing dog or an "attack" dog? Do you know?

If it doesn't sniff for drugs, it's a non-issue IMHO.

A few years ago, Nevada State Troopers actually sued the governor and the department because the higher ups were intentionally wanting dogs to alert on command. I don't know the outcome, but seeing troopers take the brass to court on federal charges made me feel very good about individual LEOs.

jmoney
09-13-14, 07:47
Was this a drug sniffing dog or an "attack" dog? Do you know?

If it doesn't sniff for drugs, it's a non-issue IMHO.

Most k9s are dual purpose.

To the OP, if true there are some serious problems there. I'm going to shoot you a pm here in a bit when I'm back at a computer.

montanadave
09-13-14, 07:57
Sounds like a situation that could turn on a guy pretty fast with the potential for a lot of unforeseen consequences. That said, I admire your willingness to confront the officer about the observed behavior and I certainly support folks standing up and calling attention to improper behavior, particularly by public employees who are supposed to be enforcing the law, not manipulating it for personal or professional gain.

I'm guessing both the county attorney's and the public defender's offices would be quite interested in both the behaviors you observed and the officer's defensive attitude when questioned, as no telling how many cases may have been tainted by this officer's actions if your suspicions proved correct.

jmoney
09-13-14, 08:26
Sounds like a situation that could turn on a guy pretty fast with the potential for a lot of unforeseen consequences. That said, I admire your willingness to confront the officer about the observed behavior and I certainly support folks standing up and calling attention to improper behavior, particularly by public employees who are supposed to be enforcing the law, not manipulating it for personal or professional gain.

I'm guessing both the county attorney's and the public defender's offices would be quite interested in both the behaviors you observed and the officer's defensive attitude when questioned, as no telling how many cases may have been tainted by this officer's actions if your suspicions proved correct.

Also, it would be nice to stop this guy before he causes permanent damage to the k9s ability to be useful in the field, or prevent eye damage from the laser pointer.

But yes, if this is true, the DA needs to know about it ASAP.

Averageman
09-13-14, 09:19

This is the best advice.
Potentially you are looking at millions of tax payer dollars being spent by this guy getting caught doing wrong. I would call the County Attorney an give him a heads up.
The potential splatter from something like this can take out a lot of innocent people.

TriviaMonster
09-13-14, 09:23
Please keep us updated on your progress.

It does sound very shady, and I hope its just a misunderstanding, but please pursue this.

montanadave
09-13-14, 09:29
If the OP decides to ring that bell, I would strongly advise him a draft a letter detailing the particulars of what he observed and send the identical letter to both the county attorney's AND public defender's offices. The fallout could prove both extensive and VERY costly, depending on how many cases this officer and his canine have been involved with. And there are more than a few county attorneys who are going to show little or no enthusiasm for having the courts revisit a stack of their convictions, not to mention the public officials who may balk at any actions which might put the taxpayers in the jackpot when those convicted on evidence gathered by a tainted search warrant come looking to exact their pound of flesh from the public coffers.

Tread lightly. And it may be in your best interest to seek some legal counsel before stepping into this too deep.

jmoney
09-13-14, 10:01
Tread lightly. And it may be in your best interest to seek some legal counsel before stepping into this too deep.

Strongly agree with this.

alienb1212
09-13-14, 10:45
I personally know my county Sheriff, I think I will shoot him an email to see what he thinks I should do.

Moose-Knuckle
09-13-14, 11:10
I waited outside near his SUV, (I had parked near it) and when he came outside, and put the dog in the cage, asked him, "Why is it you need your dog to alert on demand?" He looked confused, then angry, and did a double take, immediately squaring up on me and began approaching me, saying "What the hell do you think you're talking about? You got any ID? You have a warrant or something?" I got in my car and immediately left, (not his county anyway)

I wrote his name down and have some information on this guy, after doing some basic searching and asking a few local LE contacts. Would I be off base to contact his department and file a...complaint? Ask questions?

What should I do here? I don't really care how my interaction went with him, I'm rather upset that the guy apparently has his dog alert on demand, and in my state that's probable cause for a complete tear-apart of a vehicle.

From your account I would consider the way he acted towards you as "unprofessional", I've been given reprimands for FAR less dealing with actual FELONS.

Yes, call his agency and ask to speak to their Professional Standards Unit; aka Internal Affairs and file a formal complaint. It may not go anywhere but at least it’s on file so if there is a history there or anything in the future your incident at the least is documented. Again, from your side of the story he comes off as what we call "badge heavy".

If his SO gives you shit, lodge a complaint with your local chapter of the ACLU lol.