PDA

View Full Version : Another NFL Standout, Stands Out!

Denali
09-12-14, 23:31
Adrian Peterson, the Vikings Standout Running back who a year ago stated immediately following the death of one of his numerous young children, who had not yet even been buried, that he was just fine and would definitely be ready to go in that Sunday's game, is at it again, "role modeling himself" that is....

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”
Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”
In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

JBecker 72
09-12-14, 23:37
I guess I don't feel so bad about missing him in my fantasy draft then.

Eurodriver
09-13-14, 06:21
You know, I swear that I've read on this forum many times whenever disciplining children comes up that a dad beating a kid with a switch makes him more respectful, instills discipline, etc. I'm sure if I put effort into it I could find threads on here where members talk about the media and CPS and how they exaggerate everything... With the amount of threads like this you post, I'd wager that I could find one where you're complaining about the resulting disaster of a kid who wasn't beat.

Black NFL guy does it though - that's wrong.

What gives, Denali?

Voodoochild
09-13-14, 06:43
You know, I swear that I've read on this forum many times whenever disciplining children comes up that a dad beating a kid with a switch makes him more respectful, instills discipline, etc. I'm sure if I put effort into it I could find threads on here where members talk about the media and CPS and how they exaggerate everything... With the amount of threads like this you post, I'd wager that I could find one where you're complaining about the resulting disaster of a kid who wasn't beat.

What gives, Denali?

Eurodriver do not I repeat do not go down this road of baiting.

I was whipped with a switch when I was a child and I turned out fine. There is a fine line between disciplining your kids and child abuse. What it sounds like to me is he crossed that line and will now have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Koshinn
09-13-14, 06:47
I was whipped with a switch when I was a child and I turned out fine. There is a fine line between disciplining your kids and child abuse. What it sounds like to me is he crossed that line and will now have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Hm.

If someone can turn out fine when not whipped as a child and someone can turn out fine when whipped as a child, it seems like the whipping with a switch is unnecessary.

Eurodriver
09-13-14, 06:57
Voodoo, I didn't realize te child was only 4 when I made my initial post. Your response was noted and I will retreat from this thread quickly.

.46caliber
09-13-14, 07:08
Hm.

If someone can turn out fine when not whipped as a child and someone can turn out fine when whipped as a child, it seems like the whipping with a switch is unnecessary.

Remember, no two children are the same. The same measures with two different children can and will yield different results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

uffdaphil
09-13-14, 08:48
I'm on board with appropriate spanking and understand that's ambiguous. But this is a little four year old. A disapproving swat or two with the hand on the behind, okay. Belts and sticks on naked skin leaving major welts? Lock the SOB up.

I say that knowing it probably means wrecking what looked like the first winning season for my Vikes in a while.

My dad whipped my brother and me for years with the belt and switches and our pants down. We had to cut our own switch knowing if we picked too thin he would cut a much larger one. That was abuse too, but at least 60 years ago most folks thought it appropriate. No excuse these days.

montanadave
09-13-14, 09:06
I understand the sentiments of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" crowd but whippin' a four-year-old with a stick and leaving cuts on his balls is waaaaaaay out of bounds.

Denali
09-13-14, 11:04

What gives, Denali?

I am sorry you feel that way, fortunately I have not many posts, and you will have little trouble sifting through them and finding absolutely nothing to substantiate your accusations.....Oh, and as to your reference to "black" as in racist, or biased in some way or the other, Mr Peterson took a switch and beat his child, according to the account about the child's entire body, inflicting multiple wounds upon the boy! Such martial discipline is totally illegal, and rightly classified as child abuse in every state of the union. Also, Mr Peterson's statements following the death of his child are entirely accurate, and in and of themselves caused a scandal that was conveniently swept under the rug in the days after they were made! Mr Peterson's having multiple sets of children by several different women is also a well known fact up in the twin cities!

Black has absolutely nothing to do with any of Mr Peterson's scandalous behaviors, you sir inserted "black" into my thread and no one else!

Here's a blog posting pertaining to the NFL "standout's" prolific irresponsibility,

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/66377/no-tears-for-nfls-adrian-peterson-babydaddy-of-3-w-different-women-bears-blame-for-dead-son-he-met-just-once/

If you watched NFL football over the weekend, you probably heard the announcers and play-by-play guys tell you sob stories about the “heroic” running back Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings, who played on Sunday, even though his two-year-old son died on Friday.

But before you join the chorus of commiserators, you might want to hear the facts. That includes the fact that Peterson never even met or knew about the existence of this son until recently. He saw his son once. That’s it. And he rarely sees the other two kids he fathered with two other women.

Peterson is no “heroic, anguished father” struggling to go on. He’s a careless sperm donor who fathered three kids with three different women and never married even one. His story is so typical of inner city America, and his kids’ fate–despite the fact that their father is a multi-millionaire–is headed in the same disastrous direction.

Peterson chose to be an absentee, out-of-the-picture dad, despite the fact that he, himself, knows what it’s like to grow up without a father. From the killing fields of America, Peterson’s father went to prison for ten years for laundering drug money for a crack cocaine ring when Peterson was 13. His father never married his mother, he has 13(!) half brothers (the number would be 14, but one was killed), and the cycle continues, since the only thing he learned from dad (other than athletics) was how to father children with many women and abandon them.

Adrian Peterson’s dead son was fathered when he had a “casual” sexual relationship with a trashy bimbo, named Ann “Ashley” Doohen. Doohen didn’t tell Peterson of the existence of his son until three months ago. But once he learned about the existence of his son (and DNA tests confirmed he’s the daddy), Peterson only met his son once, just before he died of severe beatings.

This thread is not about "black," its about placing ignorant idiots on pedestals, ignorant idiots of any race, creed, or color....The NFL, which I haven't watched in over ten years, is full of such examples....

Voodoochild
09-13-14, 15:51
Final warning on this do not make this a racial thread or instigate any nonsense. This applies to everyone..

SteyrAUG
09-13-14, 17:19
I understand the sentiments of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" crowd but whippin' a four-year-old with a stick and leaving cuts on his balls is waaaaaaay out of bounds.

Yep, I can think of very few things that would warrant such a severe ass tearing and thankfully I don't think most four year olds would even think of them. Taking a couple "belt reprimands" kept me out of a lot of trouble. I still did some screwing up as a kid, but it could have been way worse.

Koshinn
09-13-14, 17:29
There's no doubt that what the guy did went far beyond what any somewhat sane person would consider necessary.

However, I honestly don't think you need to resort to physical violence to teach children how to behave. I'm not a child behavior expert and I don't have kids, but I do know many people who were not whipped as kids and turned out to be productive members of society with no difference from people who were whipped as kids.

fixit69
09-13-14, 17:32
The "reminders not to do this again" that were admistered by my father were not child abuse. Most kids I knew we all got spanked or switched. I had to cut my own too. The kids I knew who were not punished in this manner did not all become psychotic axe murdering pedophiles, but some were massive pieces of shit and the rest always were a sneaky bunch wh tried to get away with everything knowing no real punishment was coming. Not painting with a broad brush here just relating experience.

That said, nut injury and the like... He should have been more in control when administering punishment. That is inexcusable.

SteyrAUG
09-13-14, 17:42
There's no doubt that what the guy did went far beyond what any somewhat sane person would consider necessary.

However, I honestly don't think you need to resort to physical violence to teach children how to behave. I'm not a child behavior expert and I don't have kids, but I do know many people who were not whipped as kids and turned out to be productive members of society with no difference from people who were whipped as kids.

I don't thinks it's simple one way or another.

I know kids who regularly were disciplined as much as anyone and they still became massive ****ups. I know a few kids who never got hit at all because they never needed it and they are decent people today. Most of us needed to have the line drawn for us because we were dumbshits as kids.

I know more than enough families where one kid is in jail doing time and the other went to college and turned out fine. Most raised in the same environment and treated the same way. Parents have to do their best to provide the proper discipline as needed. That said, I don't think anyone benefits from actual "abuse" and any kid who is doing things that might warrant such discipline in the parents mind are probably gone already and a bloody ass whipping really isn't going to fix much.

TAZ
09-13-14, 20:20
What a total deuche. Hope he gets charged and then will fit into the National Felons League better.

Spankings that leave bruises in general and involve gentials is abuse, not discipline. Don't care who you are.

I don't have a problem with corporal punishment, but not a fan of using tools to get the job done. Too easy to go beyond discipline and into a beating IMO. My parents were strict and absolutely consistent. It took maybe once or twice for both my brother and I to get the hint that when mom or dad said if you do x you'll get a spanking they meant it. IMO consistency is a far better tool than spanking. Obviously each child and parent is different so folks need to find what work for them.

If you're leaving bruises and involving gentials you're doing it WRONG.

Sensei
09-13-14, 23:04

Many compliant children do great with redirecting or timeout. Other more head strong kids need the battery acid and lighter.

Ok, ok I'm only joking.

People without kids often make the mistake of thinking that child rearing is a one size fits all proposition. I know that I did when our first was born. Hell, I thought that I could use my dog training techniques on my son. Boy did I mess up when I forgot to take off that electric control collar before dropping him off at daycare...

Koshinn
09-14-14, 13:51
Hahaha I heard that kids can hear super high pitched sounds, but adults lose that ability.

Those sounds are often used to train dogs and cats.

No one will ever know!

Mjolnir
09-14-14, 16:22
I am sorry you feel that way, fortunately I have not many posts, and you will have little trouble sifting through them and finding absolutely nothing to substantiate your accusations.....Oh, and as to your reference to "black" as in racist, or biased in some way or the other, Mr Peterson took a switch and beat his child, according to the account about the child's entire body, inflicting multiple wounds upon the boy! Such martial discipline is totally illegal, and rightly classified as child abuse in every state of the union. Also, Mr Peterson's statements following the death of his child are entirely accurate, and in and of themselves caused a scandal that was conveniently swept under the rug in the days after they were made! Mr Peterson's having multiple sets of children by several different women is also a well known fact up in the twin cities!

Black has absolutely nothing to do with any of Mr Peterson's scandalous behaviors, you sir inserted "black" into my thread and no one else!

Here's a blog posting pertaining to the NFL "standout's" prolific irresponsibility,

This thread is not about "black," its about placing ignorant idiots on pedestals, ignorant idiots of any race, creed, or color....The NFL, which I haven't watched in over ten years, is full of such examples....

Wow! I don't follow professional sports much but had heard only a little bit about Peterson a few years ago. This and the OP's quotes paint an entirely different picture of him.

There are many players that should be suspended from the game too.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Irish
09-14-14, 17:19
It's okay to assault children with a weapon but not okay if it's another adult? The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Watrdawg
09-15-14, 07:15
Many compliant children do great with redirecting or timeout. Other more head strong kids need the battery acid and lighter.

Ok, ok I'm only joking.

People without kids often make the mistake of thinking that child rearing is a one size fits all proposition. I know that I did when our first was born. Hell, I thought that I could use my dog training techniques on my son. Boy did I mess up when I forgot to take off that electric control collar before dropping him off at daycare...

I still use the collar to this day! Works especially well on the wife! Great thing about it is that mine have a 1 mile range. Kids school is less than that from work. All the teachers have to do is shoot me a text and I press a button. Kids straighten up real quick. HAHA

moonshot
09-15-14, 08:47
A guy who beats is girlfriend (and that she still ends up marrying him says a lot about her), and a guy who beats his child. Great group of skum we turn into millionaires, treat as heros for our sports fans and elevate to roll models for our kids.

I am appalled at the tone of this thread. The TSA goons grab out junk and we view it as an assault. We arm ourselves so as not to be a victim of an assault on the street or in our homes, and yet many here apparently think it's OK to hit your own child. A baseball bat is over the top but a switch is OK? A switch is too much but a backhanded slap (that doesn't leave evidence, I mean marks) is OK?

You don't demonstrate your love for someone by hitting them. Period.

Safetyhit
09-15-14, 09:45
Eurodriver do not I repeat do not go down this road of baiting.

Why is a staff member here threatening others who find such punishment against a defenseless four year old legitimately vile? Is this a serious post?

I'll stick my neck out, chop my head off if you like. Honestly I can't believe what I just read and any non-staff member would be blasted into oblivion for making such a stifling threat.

To add if I ever saw anyone anywhere do such a thing we'd physically fight until someone is incapacitated and I'd then gladly take my chances in court. Any day of the week.

Sensei
09-15-14, 10:00

I agree 110% and this is why I'm a big advocate of electric control collars. My 3-year old has no idea that I'm the one shocking him when he misbehaves. I've told him that Jesus is always watching and punishes him for being bad.

TAZ
09-15-14, 10:40
I agree 110% and this is why I'm a big advocate of electric control collars. My 3-year old has no idea that I'm the one shocking him when he misbehaves. I've told him that Jesus is always watching and punishes him for being bad.

LOL!! I now have reason for an iPhone 6 pre order cause this one is covered with coffee.

Safetyhit
09-15-14, 21:54
A fellow member mentioned privately that I misunderstood Voodo's intent and he's probably right in context, but it doesn't change much. No child deserves to have an adult utilize a weapon on them because in my potentially worthless opinion if it comes to that, even out of perceived necessity, then something is wrong fundamentally. Voodo I am sorry that happened to you and no matter what you may portray having been on a similar end myself I know it hurt beyond the physical damage.

fixit69
09-15-14, 23:14
If this helps any, I'm throwing it out. If it inflames any vaginas out there don't respond. You won't get an answer to your likeing.

I was 6 years old and "helping" dad rake some leaves in the front yard. Now, I was not a problem child, but I was more than a handfull. So, as the day went on, my father(one of the best men I have ever met, and I'm not saying that because he was my dad) said to me "don't go into the road".

Well, into everything as I was, I said "I will if I want to". Yes, I remember saying it.

My father said "just go ahead and see what happens".

I said "ok".

I walked to the middle of the road, now this is not a busy road but enough traffic to be worried. And I turned around, proud of myself for making it. As I turned, my father was taking off his belt yelling at me to get out of the road... NOW.

So you can imagine, he whipped me. PM me if you want details. It was epic. And you want to know why?

He was scared. I thought I was unbreakable, billybadass, whatever. He taught me a lesson in survival.

I was born a smartass so I had to learn the hard way. And it did not stop there. But I'll tell you this nugget of info... Don't walk in the middle of a road without looking and dare your parent to do somthing about it. I would say to not do somthing about it is tantamount to child abuse. You have to teach limits. I learned one of mine that day.

I leave my feelings at home bro, so flame on.

Koshinn
09-16-14, 00:13
A guy who beats is girlfriend (and that she still ends up marrying him says a lot about her), and a guy who beats his child. Great group of skum we turn into millionaires, treat as heros for our sports fans and elevate to roll models for our kids.

I am appalled at the tone of this thread. The TSA goons grab out junk and we view it as an assault. We arm ourselves so as not to be a victim of an assault on the street or in our homes, and yet many here apparently think it's OK to hit your own child. A baseball bat is over the top but a switch is OK? A switch is too much but a backhanded slap (that doesn't leave evidence, I mean marks) is OK?

You make good points.

I don't even hit my pets if they do something wrong.

Safetyhit
09-16-14, 11:54
If this helps any, I'm throwing it out. If it inflames any vaginas out there don't respond.

Great way to start a productive dialogue.

You won't get an answer to your likeing.

Couldn't care less. Now for your daily lesson.

I was 6 years old and "helping" dad rake some leaves in the front yard. Now, I was not a problem child, but I was more than a handfull. So, as the day went on, my father(one of the best men I have ever met, and I'm not saying that because he was my dad) said to me "don't go into the road".

Well, into everything as I was, I said "I will if I want to". Yes, I remember saying it.

Obvious problem number one. If he was so great and you such an angel otherwise this would never, ever have taken place. End of story.

My father said "just go ahead and see what happens".

I said "ok".

Nothing less than two people acting the fool trying to see who can outdo the other. Highly unimpressive, particularly from the adult.

I walked to the middle of the road...

If you had been raised properly then barring a mental issue you would never have done so. Don't need to be Dr Phil to know this elementary fact.

So you can imagine, he whipped me. PM me if you want details. It was epic. And you want to know why? He was scared. I thought I was unbreakable, billybadass, whatever.

Why was he so scared if there was no traffic on the road? And what in heaven's name led a 6 year old to believe he was a "badass"? Was it something in the water, or perhaps parental mistakes that were made prior?

I was born a smartass so I had to learn the hard way. And it did not stop there. But I'll tell you this nugget of info... Don't walk in the middle of a road without looking and dare your parent to do somthing about it. I would say to not do somthing about it is tantamount to child abuse. You have to teach limits. I learned one of mine that day.

Nobody anywhere is born a smartass. This attitude was instilled and fostered unless, again, you had some sort of mental defect as a child. Plus you blatantly contradict yourself when you say "It did not stop there" followed by you stating that you learned a permanent lesson. What, did you stop going into the road and start lighting fires in the house instead?

I leave my feelings at home bro, so flame on.

That's a good thing because otherwise you'll be tempted to get upset and honestly that's not my goal. Circumstance led both of you to that moment. I am not here to say a few words can fix everything as a child grows, nor am I a perfect parent, but beatings are a huge red flag indicating dysfunction.

Not in the least looking to diminish your fond memories of your or Voodoo's father even a little bit, just get you to maybe think and do better when it's your (or anyone else out there reading this) turn. There is a better way. It may take patience and effort but to say that what happened was essentially inevitable is almost guaranteed to be false under reasonable scrutiny.

Irish
09-16-14, 12:00
My wife wouldn't do the dishes so I beat her with a belt.

brickboy240
09-16-14, 12:21
Rice's girlfriend married him after being knocked out because he had money.

If you are a regular schmoe and did that to your then fiancee....I doubt she'd hang around to get married to your ass!

Does not surprise me at all that some of these NFL players are wife-beaters....I am surprised at the number that ARE shocked by their behavior.

-brickboy240

Irish
09-16-14, 12:26
If she doesn't vacuum should I hit her with a stick or just my hand?

What about people at the grocery story? Always cutting in front of me, not watching where they're going, getting in my way. Do you hit them with a stick or a thick leather belt?

Koshinn
09-16-14, 13:11

What about people at the grocery story? Always cutting in front of me, not watching where they're going, getting in my way. Do you hit them with a stick or a thick leather belt?

If you're carrying and you take off your belt to discipline grocery shoppers, where do you put your firearm?

The answer is obvious, you take off the offender's belt and use that.

Crow Hunter
09-16-14, 13:14
I don't have any kids and never will.

However, I was a kid once, and I got spankings and switching and paddlings at school and I turned out fine, quite successful actually.

How do you discipline kids if you don't have the "punishment of last resort"?

My Mom kept an old belt on the linen closet door knob and when we were really, really bad she would make us go get the belt and she would swat us with it. My Grandmother kept a fly swatter for that reason. My neighbors mom would make us go and cut a willow switch. Teachers at school kept a paddle.

It was very, very seldom that I ever got a whipping/spanking/paddling but I did remember it and I damn well didn't do it again. Now I was raised in the South. Once we got on up older, she didn't have to.

Grounding from things worked much better.:)

I don't think a time out would work for a child like me. Sitting somewhere quietly in my own imagination was a treat more than a punishment. My wife's nephew is never spanked. He is a holy terror.

So if whipping isn't acceptable, what is?

Seriously. I really have no idea what would work. All I have to go on is how I was raised.

Here is a vivid example that I can remember to go off of.

I was 3 or 4 and my Grandmother was sitting with me while my parents went out. My Mom had said that she didn't want my Grandmother to do any just watch me. Well, she was bored so she started washing dishes. I went into the kitchen and told her to stop because Mom had said not to. She told me to go back in the living room and play. I apparently didn't like that answer and I kicked her hard in the shin. She turned around and whipped me good and told me I had better not ever do that again. It worked. 37 years later, I have never again kicked anyone in the shins when I didn't get my way. ;)

How should she have done it?

Irish
09-16-14, 13:36
If you're carrying and you take off your belt to discipline grocery shoppers, where do you put your firearm?

The answer is obvious, you take off the offender's belt and use that.

Or you just revert to pistol-whipping them. That gets your point across much quicker!

Sensei
09-16-14, 14:52

According to Sean Connery, you should use your open hand. Here is some advice to live by:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA

Safetyhit
09-16-14, 15:19
How do you discipline kids if you don't have the "punishment of last resort"?

Great question leading to a critical point. While I've obviously been down on physical beatings in this thread and have never exercised one, the context of my verbal reprimands as a parent is relevant.

As mentioned in previous threads I had it a little tough growing up too. My father was extremely temperamental and as an Italian American (with a little Irish from me mom) I inherited this trait. His displays of anger as a 6'4" tyrant instilled a lot in me and especially from 18-30 was very prone to getting into fights at clubs or in the street if it was deemed...worthy. Made a great many mistakes in that regard and am very fortunate to have all of my teeth let alone be alive.

The reason it is mentioned is because while my primary goal is not to do the same to my son I can also get very mad if pushed too far. It's probably more of a residual effect more than inherited and in some ways I commanded respect as a result, but I also probably made others look down on me too. Not proud of that.

So, my personal technique as a parent is, if needed, to be forceful in a way that probably comes off as intimidating but tempered with sensibility. To clarify my son knows by now not to push the envelope, yet at the same time I also try very hard to verbalize my issue and carefully explain what it is I am upset about so it isn't all about yelling and threatening because that is also very bad.

Yes he respects me physically, this though I have never had to hit him. And yes when I get mad I can be a little scary, but I think that even more he also respects the fact that I will carefully explain what if anything he did wrong and why it was deemed offensive or inappropriate. If I go too far I'll remind him that I'm not perfect either and that I'm sorry if I scared him. I have at times also felt the need to say that I grew up with it somewhat tougher and am doing my best with what I have, and that I too am always willing to learn from my mistakes as a parent.

So sure it is kind of complicated because no I don't think that, even for a child as generally well behaved as he, just quietly but firmly stating "enough" is always going to be enough. For me anyway there is a middle ground, one that teaches both right and wrong as well as establishing respect. But I sometimes fail and to be honest if I go too far I will privately cry and hate myself for a time, then I get it together and realize that I have a job to do and continue my best to get it done in a way that I hope will be best for him.

Please folks understand this isn't about drama or me needing to share. If I can help someone, even one person, then any other residual effects are worth the cost.

montanadave
09-16-14, 21:26

As much as I'd like to continue down this path, I fear it would probably offend more than a few folks.

But it really did make me laugh out loud.