PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-gun shotgun

gman44116
09-13-14, 10:43
Thoughts from the community. What's the most affordable 3-gun ready shottie?

Mr blasty
09-13-14, 11:59
Handled but haven't used the mosberg 930 JM. Seems ready to go out of the box. Supposedly it's the same gun Jerry runs out of the box.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Failure2Stop
09-13-14, 14:29
I've gotten very mixed reviews from users of the 930JM.

Best bet these days seem to have "Benelli" written on the side. Not the cheapest, but probably the most economical as you won't have to subject it to as much special attention as the others.

Wake27
09-13-14, 14:32
Handled but haven't used the mosberg 930 JM. Seems ready to go out of the box. Supposedly it's the same gun Jerry runs out of the box.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

One thing to keep in mind with stuff like that, its designed specifically for him (at least supposedly) and what he wants. The number of people that would want the same exact thing is probably fairly limited.

bulbvivid
09-13-14, 14:58
It will be the one you didn't buy. Regardless of the one you choose, it will be choking while you watch everyone else's run like a top.

With that said, if you're looking for affordable, go over to the Enos forums and read up on the Stoeger M3000. They seem like a good thing to get into on a budget. Not necessarily 3-gun ready, but with a few extra parts—mag tube, etc.—it will be ready to go. These days though, a lot of what makes a shotgun "ready to go" is knowing what you need for the method you use for loading and then customizing the gun to work for you.

Kain
09-13-14, 15:04
How much are you looking to spend? That would be my first question. Second, would be what models do you have experience with?

First thoughts would be get a Benelli and set it up proper since those tend to be the ones that most of the serious shooters are running. Second, to me, would be to look at an 1100 and work that up, though I might be a little biased since I have experience in working on them and the weight of the shotgun tends to lend itself to hard use and have seen some run in very harsh conditions. Next, I would be looking at a Beretta auto loader. Have known some playing with the 930s, but have heard enough issues, mostly feeding to make me a bit wary of them.

cougar_guy04
09-13-14, 15:19
There have been some folks that seem to be pretty impressed with the Beretta 1301 Competition versions. I haven't messed with one yet, but the people I know that have them really seem to love 'em. I'd like to get hold of a VersaMax Comp Tactical and 1301 Competition to play with to see which I'd like to get. The VM Comp Tacitcal is damn spendy, but it looks like a turn key setup, just add ammo.

26 Inf
09-13-14, 19:23
Cabellas had the 930 JM's on sale the other day for 625.00, I had 145 Cabella bucks, so I was out the door for under 500.00. The cheapest I had found a Beretta 1301 Comp was 969.00. So I bought my first ever Mossberg (well for me - I bought my son a 500 at a DU auction years ago - he still uses it).

Initially mine hung shells up in the mag tube. I shined a light down mag tube and saw a ledge at the junction between the factory mag tube and the extension. This morning I took it to a local gunshop since I knew they had a big chamfering tool, kept my fingers crossed that they wouldn't try to recoup the cost of the tool on me, I was in luck, they did it on the house.

Just got back form shooting 100 rounds at the plate rack at 25 yards. Used Federal 1 1/8oz @ 1200fps loads. Gun cycles quick, I don't believe as quick as the Beretta 1301 I've fired but quick enough for me, recoil is not bad, I've shot softer gas guns, but also harder, so I'm not complaining. The very first rounds I fired through the JM, the day I bought it were some Federal 00B non-reduced recoil shells we had laying around. Recoil with them was not excessive either.

I'm not JM, but the recoil wasn't keeping me from getting some pretty good runs on the plates. I had the IC tube in it and do not recall missing a plate. I may get a new recoil pad for it, I ground the bottom of the Mossberg one down to allow it to mount cleanly into the shoulder, but it seems kind of spongy.

All in all, since I apparently have fixed the feeding problem, I'm happy to recommend the 930 JM as a budget 3 gun shotgun.

Hmac
09-13-14, 19:37
I have a Benelli M2 Tactical. It's an ulta-reliable, fast handling, accurate shotgun ... very well-suited for 3-gun. That said, I spent about $350 getting it upgraded to perform optimally in that role (stock, magazine extension, carrier modification, sling swivels, sight rail). If I were doing it again, I'd look pretty hard at the Beretta competition model.

.46caliber
09-13-14, 20:07
Benelli and Beretta are about the standards for autoloading shotguns. Two very different operating systems though. The Benelli inertia system is fantastic for speed, weight and reliability but with more felt recoil. Beretta gas systems on the late models are quite fast and soft on the recoil comparatively. A case could be made for Browning as offering top autoloaders but their offerings don't fit as well for 3 Gun and I've not paid them as much attention since the Browning Golds.

One of the others mentioned an 1100. I used a couple of 1100 Magnums for years. They fit and pointed for me well. The balance isn't bad, but they were very weighty. The gas system is slow compared to the B's and will have issues under hard use. I'll still like them but definitely not my go-to.

I'm always surprised by shotgun threads. The mantras used in this forum regarding first AR purchase threads magically vanish in shotgun purchase threads.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hmac
09-13-14, 21:52
I'm always surprised by shotgun threads. The mantras used in this forum regarding first AR purchase threads magically vanish in shotgun purchase threads.

Excellent point.

As to 1100's, I have an 1100 Special Field that I've used for birds for almost two decades. I respect it a lot for that purpose, but I used it in a couple of 3-guns early on and found it wanting, especially in comparison to the Benelli M2.

.46caliber
09-13-14, 22:09
Excellent point.

As to 1100's, I have an 1100 Special Field that I've used for birds for almost two decades. I respect it a lot for that purpose, but I used it in a couple of 3-guns early on and found it wanting, especially in comparison to the Benelli M2.

My biggest gripe with the 1100s was the wear and tear in the gas system. Greatly exacerbated in waterfowl applications.

RONK
09-14-14, 05:56
I like the Beretta 1301 Comp,it gives you a great package,with two barrel length choices.While the Benelli M2 is a great gun,unless you buy their expensive,Three Gun model from Benelli's Performance Shop,you have to have work done,carrier,loading port,etc to make it as user friendly as the Beretta.As was written by .46caliber,while the Inertia-driven recoil system is very reliable,it doesn't do much to reduce recoil,even with the Comfor-Tec stock.I have also had mixed reviews from customers with 930's as to their reliability.I can't comment on the Versa-Max but I have become less and less a fan of Remington/Freedom Group and their lack of QC.Never sold an FN either.There's also the Brian Enos forum devoted to Three Gun,you'll get some feedback there too.Good luck.

.46caliber
09-14-14, 07:28
While the Benelli M2 is a great gun,unless you buy their expensive,Three Gun model from Benelli's Performance Shop,you have to have work done,carrier,loading port,etc to make it as user friendly as the Beretta.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to 3 gun. Would these mods be necessary for a casual 3 gunner or are they more for the heavy competitor who is looking to knock off a few tenths of a second or help the gun cycle lighter 1oz or 7/8 oz loads?

I don't mean to hijack, but I think these questions would be of benefit to the OP as well.

RONK
09-14-14, 09:32
I don't shoot 3-Gun either,most of the feed back is from my customers that do.It's like a lot of modifications and things in general,need vs. want.You could start off with a stock gun and just add if and/or when you feel the need,no different than an AR,pistol,etc.for that matter you could shoot a pump gun as well and still have a good time.I think the mods done to a 3-Gun shotgun would work very well in a tactical role also.

26 Inf
09-14-14, 22:20
Assuming you want to get in for under a thou, I think the top runners are the 930 JM (around 600.00) and the Beretta 1301 (probably about 1100.00).

Somebody mentioned Brian Enos, there is a group of guys over there that are really stoked on the Stoeger 3000 as a budget 3 gun shotgun. They generally run out under 500.00, but you'll have to put an extended tube on it. There is a thread on it in the 3 gun shotgun section. Also a write up in Shooting Illustrated - January 2014.

Good luck.

yellowfin
09-15-14, 10:55
Hmm...looks like the Stoeger can be had with as short as a 24" barrel out the door. Short enough, I suppose.

bullittmcqueen
09-15-14, 13:47
Best is the Benelli M2. It's more expensive, justifiably, and its not 3-gun ready out of the box. You have to mod it up. The Stoeger 3000 is a budget version of the Benelli, as most of the same parts work with little modification.

I wouldn't recommend the JM PRO first hand. Very hit and miss. Mine worked fine, but I've seen far more have trouble.

teutonicpolymer
09-19-14, 17:05
Honestly I would just save a little more and get the Beretta 1301
I don't trust the cheaper shotguns and the 1301 is cheaper than the Benellis (and I think it is better, but that might just be me)

thopkins22
09-19-14, 17:13
Not as popular, but the FN SLP MK1 is ready to go out of the box, reliable, and pretty damned decent. The M2 seems to be what the genuine pros use if they have the choice, but the vast majority of shooters won't be at a disadvantage using the FN. And you don't have silly compliance issues to think about either.

Honestly if you want to win, just pick a shotgun that you can load fast...on most shotgun stages the actual shooting is kind of secondary.

IrishDevil
09-19-14, 19:36
I'm a Benelli guy, I use a M1 24" mostly, but also have a M2. The Beretta is the new hotness, and from the limited time I have with it, I'm planning on picking one up. The Versa-Max is nice, I've shot one exactly once. The 930, from what I've seen is either good or bad, not much in between. The FN I had and really liked, but decided I wanted a second Benelli, so I sold it.

Most every brand/model is going to need some massaging to your preference. One thing to remember is the key to shotguns in 3-Gun, is the loading. I've seen talented pump shooters walk the dog on semiauto guys, because they know how to load.

bulbvivid
09-19-14, 20:14
Not as popular, but the FN SLP MK1 is ready to go out of the box, reliable, and pretty damned decent.

The SLP Competition is the place to start in that regard, not the MK1, unless you can get a deal on a used one, maybe.

One thing to remember is the key to shotguns in 3-Gun, is the loading. I've seen talented pump shooters walk the dog on semiauto guys, because they know how to load.

That's the thing about the less expensive guns, though. I would not want to take an expensive shotgun and do what many are to open up the receivers for deuce and quad loading. If you're willing to essentially "ruin" an expensive gun to get it to work with your method of loading, then rock on. I could better understand it if you're traveling and shooting a lot of big matches, but for club stuff or just getting started before you know what you need/want, I'm not so sure.

I've gone the JM route and wouldn't do it again. I'm considering acquiring the Stoeger so I can chop it up and beat it to pieces without regret. I would not want to do this to my SLP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KLCVDF6whc

IrishDevil
09-20-14, 10:28
I still weak hand load, I need to get around to trying the load 2/load 4 stuff. Both my Benelli's are unmodified other than the obvious mag tubes/bolt handle/bolt release.

I also have been considering the Stoeger 3000, as a "practice piece" for port mods.

dramabeats
09-30-14, 23:00
I would say the stoeger 3000 is the best entry level shotgun, it can be made very competitive with the expensive guns with general mods like opening the loading port.

joshua79109
10-11-14, 21:59
My FN SLP MKI is still running strong. Can't really say what's best, but this one has been good to me.

KC_in_Bama
10-12-14, 09:29
Not as popular, but the FN SLP MK1 is ready to go out of the box, reliable, and pretty damned decent. The M2 seems to be what the genuine pros use if they have the choice, but the vast majority of shooters won't be at a disadvantage using the FN. And you don't have silly compliance issues to think about either.

Honestly if you want to win, just pick a shotgun that you can load fast...on most shotgun stages the actual shooting is kind of secondary.

I agree. I've a FN SLP MKI as well. No issues with it. Mesa Tactical came out with side saddles for FN's. that's really my only complaint about having an FN for 3-gun, the lack of after-market accessories for it. But really, all I wanted was a good side saddle, and now I have that.

+1 on picking a shotgun that you can load fast, quick reloads on shotgun stages are the key to get the best time IMHO.

tommyrott
02-18-15, 00:02
only personal experience I have is with a JM930 took me about a year of fussing with it to get it to run reliably. added XS express sights which I really like, got lucky that it shoots slug to the sights. not as nice as the super 90 I borrowed when I first started, and yes you have to clean it after every match but I can come pretty close to some sponsored shooters in times on runs without reloads. the sponsored shooters run berretta 1301 comps and they very happy with them, of course they were given the guns as sponsorship (don't hurt being an ex-Olympian bi-athlete);)

TomMcC
02-19-15, 10:39
IMHO the Steoger M3000 is the hot ticket in the affordable 3gun shotgun. Nordic now makes a tube for it and a PE Kelley influenced version is in the works.

carl15
02-25-15, 22:46
Was about to pick up a M3000 until I saw this.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/first-look/stoegers-competition-m3k-shotgun/

gman44116
02-25-15, 22:58
Chiming in for an update.

I decided to go with a Beretta 1301 Comp. 24".

Thank you all for all the great input. In reality, the M2 was my first choice. But, for a few bucks shy of a grand, I jumped on the 1301.

What suggestions can anyone provide regarding a Nordic mag length. I was thinking 4. But would it make sense to go longer??

TomMcC
02-26-15, 10:58
Chiming in for an update.

I decided to go with a Beretta 1301 Comp. 24".

Thank you all for all the great input. In reality, the M2 was my first choice. But, for a few bucks shy of a grand, I jumped on the 1301.

Really nice shotgun, you should do well with it. It looks like a +4 will give you 9 + 1 and be even with the end of the barrel. With a +4 you can stuff 1 in the tube at the buzzer, with a +5 you can stuff 2. Do you shoot matches where stuffing would be an advantage? If so, a +5 might be the way to go. Although it might not please your eye on the looks.

What suggestions can anyone provide regarding a Nordic mag length. I was thinking 4. But would it make sense to go longer?? xxxxx

MadAngler1
03-04-15, 16:57
FN and Benellis are hard to beat for a 3 gun shotgun. Can't comment on the new Beretta outside of their duck guns (which are awesome).

Anything semi-auto with "Remington" written on the side of it will fail you when it counts. I have seen too many semi-auto 1100 model Remingtons crap out during hunts and at matches. Their police model 870s are decent, but I can't make a positive comment about anything else they make.

yellowfin
03-11-15, 21:41
Now the matter is feeding it. Taccom caddies are the way to go.

ScottD
03-12-15, 20:02
I was dead set on the Stoeger 3-gun model until I saw that Beretta. Now I'm trying to convince myself that I need to spend $400 more on a shotgun than I had planned....