PDA

View Full Version : SCAR Long Barrel

DiabhailGadhar
09-13-14, 12:09
So I just wanted to get people's input on this and see if there was any validity to what I was told....

So I walked into Red's Gun shop north of Austin, TX this morning and was just looking around and started talking to the guy behind the counter about SCAR's. I was just generally inquiring if they had any accessories, actually I was probing to see if they were gun shop commandos or what. They guy mentioned SCAR barrels and he said that they had in fact been able to get the long barrel for the SCAR from FN. He said it was around $800. Any one else heard of this and I've been failing at google is this guy full of it?

Travis B
09-13-14, 14:09
I would say he's full of it. I believe they are still in limited production for .mil and FN hasn't mentioned a civilian timeline. They're listed online (http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/scar-family/mk-17-series/mk-17-lb/) as police and military only.

Also, I would be very skeptical of his $800 price point. The SBR is around $1200 so I doubt the long barrel version would be 33% cheaper.

HDD Tactical makes a long barrel but it's not through FN.

JBecker 72
09-13-14, 14:20
$1200 for a barrel? Damn.

Travis B
09-13-14, 14:35
$1200 for a barrel? Damn.

It's actually a barrel assembly, complete with gas block/front sight, bottom rail assembly, etc.

28489(FN stock photo)

JBecker 72
09-13-14, 15:44
It's actually a barrel assembly, complete with gas block/front sight, bottom rail assembly, etc.

28489(FN stock photo)

I guess that's not as bad then. I know nothing of the Scar 17 other than I want one and they are expensive.

BaronFitz
09-14-14, 14:53
I saw an 18" barrel on a 16S owned by a guy I know that works for Fortis, so they are definitely out there.

Fox33
09-15-14, 23:46
The price point sounds way off. I do not doubt that a gun dealer could have gotten one or two.

I would say that I am not comfortable about the overall future of the FN SCAR, in particular the MK. versions. I love the gun, especially for what it could be. I also know that serious enhancements (Handl) were made for the system. Many who matter know about them, but no program wide changes.

I think this means the systems detractors have the upper hand. These are guys who work on a drive named for a historic 72 hour asskicking and a range whose numbers added together = 10. People when they hear the words FN SCAR launch into belt fed F-bombs and/or the facial expressions reserved for when someone rips ass in a buttoned up RG

What does this mean?

I think that until FN or someone in the Hillsborough County area figures out that Mk17/ Mk20 is not going to be the long term solution it could be, that without outside help the SCAR will eventual die off. That if the military ever shit cans the FN SCAR, the parts will be rarer than hens teeth (hoarding) for an already rare and expensive gun. I do not see FN flooding the market with cheap SCARs and you see what the FN parts cost. I also see that about half of the reason the FNfourms types even buy the gun (it's MILSIM bro) will be gone. I mean if NSW does not have SCARs they will sell thiers to get the latest thing NSW is rocking.

Which means the SCAR will have to stand on its own merits without USSOCOM, more accurately being rejected by it. It will have to do it facing the likes of the SR25eec, MR 762, OBR, LMT, and even the Ruger and SIG.

I will keep my SCARs but make no mistake the second SOCOM shitcans it (which I think is moderate to high) I am going to hoard parts and I think you should too.

halmbarte
09-16-14, 00:03
For all my SCAR parts Harding needs I use: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/scar-parts

H

DiabhailGadhar
09-16-14, 07:51
Unfortunately I agree 100% with Fox.. As soon as SOCOM is done with it we'll be back to the drawing board with the latest and greatest. But some how the M4 will live on and probably rightfully so.

MadAngler1
09-16-14, 13:26
So I just wanted to get people's input on this and see if there was any validity to what I was told....

So I walked into Red's Gun shop north of Austin, TX this morning and was just looking around and started talking to the guy behind the counter about SCAR's. I was just generally inquiring if they had any accessories, actually I was probing to see if they were gun shop commandos or what. They guy mentioned SCAR barrels and he said that they had in fact been able to get the long barrel for the SCAR from FN. He said it was around $800. Any one else heard of this and I've been failing at google is this guy full of it?

I have not personally seen one. I have seen the 13" version for sale for the SCAR-17 and of course, the 10.5" and 14" versions for the SCAR-16. I would only believe him when I saw the barrel assembly in hand, complete with legit FN markings. $800 is a good price. Most go for $1000-1200

MadAngler1
09-16-14, 13:48
The price point sounds way off. I do not doubt that a gun dealer could have gotten one or two.

I would say that I am not comfortable about the overall future of the FN SCAR, in particular the MK. versions. I love the gun, especially for what it could be. I also know that serious enhancements (Handl) were made for the system. Many who matter know about them, but no program wide changes.

I think this means the systems detractors have the upper hand. These are guys who work on a drive named for a historic 72 hour asskicking and a range whose numbers added together = 10. People when they hear the words FN SCAR launch into belt fed F-bombs and/or the facial expressions reserved for when someone rips ass in a buttoned up RG

What does this mean?

I think that until FN or someone in the Hillsborough County area figures out that Mk17/ Mk20 is not going to be the long term solution it could be, that without outside help the SCAR will eventual die off. That if the military ever shit cans the FN SCAR, the parts will be rarer than hens teeth (hoarding) for an already rare and expensive gun. I do not see FN flooding the market with cheap SCARs and you see what the FN parts cost. I also see that about half of the reason the FNfourms types even buy the gun (it's MILSIM bro) will be gone. I mean if NSW does not have SCARs they will sell thiers to get the latest thing NSW is rocking.

Which means the SCAR will have to stand on its own merits without USSOCOM, more accurately being rejected by it. It will have to do it facing the likes of the SR25eec, MR 762, OBR, LMT, and even the Ruger and SIG.

I will keep my SCARs but make no mistake the second SOCOM shitcans it (which I think is moderate to high) I am going to hoard parts and I think you should too.

What improvements has Handl made to the SCAR? Their lowers are not exactly 100%, and no military unit to my knowledge has adopted them, just to use AR-10 type magazines. The SCAR's magazines are very well made with the exception of the floor plate, which some say can pop loose if dropped on the ground while fully loaded (I have yet to duplicate this feat but some on this board with military service said it can happen). The SCAR was meant to feed ammo into its chamber using the SCAR's own magazine design and feeding angle. Not that of an AR-10. One of the AR-10's weak points is the magazine design, as opposed to the HK G3's which is arguably one of the most reliable magazine designs in a .308 rifle. FN should just find a way to improve the floor plates to keep them from popping off. I think they started with a FAL magazine and improved upon it. Just needs some tweaking.

If FN wants to keep this platform alive, they need to listen to their users (civilian and military), and make improvements to the platform. HK did the same thing with the new HK 416A5 and similar improvements to the 417A2 (http://www.heckler-koch.com/de/produkte/militaer.html), so FN can do the same and make a "SCAR 2" or "SCAR ver 2.0".

My suggested list of improvements would include:

- A metal reinforced polymer lower (which oddly enough, is seen on almost every polymer framed handgun in existence)
- an aluminum stock latch
- a more durable guide rod retaining plate (in theory, some have said it doesn't last long enough)
- different or improved rear stock options made of more durable fiberglass or composite materials, and with improved ergonomics (of course, I like the stock design on my SCAR-17)
- replace the cheap metal hooks that serve as sling mounting points with something more durable
- Slightly longer handguard
- Bigger Ambi selector lever
- Pistol grip compatible with AR-10/15 grips (which of course, necessitates a lower receiver design change)
- non-reciprocating charging handle, similar in set up to the HK G3 assault rifle

FN has the ability to do these things within reason, and I think they could hit another home run if they improve the gun. Of course, it could add 0.5-1 lb in weight to the rifle, but it's a small price to pay for improved durability and function. The SCAR-H is not a Knight's SR-25, which is a good thing. It's a battle rifle that is supposed to run like an AK-47 and still shoot 1.5-2 MOA with service ammo. I think the SCAR still has the potential to supersede the M4, if improved upon and if the price is right.

Edited to add: The biggest problem we have, as civllian shooters, is that we lack any military data regarding how "reliable" this platform is. This means, no one has release data about the real issues that our servicemen have had using the SCAR-H in Afghanistan. So out of the 1000 rifles or so issues, how many had problems, what were the problems and if so, how many rounds were shot through the gun by the time the problem occured? Likewise, if we took a random sample of 10-20 SCAR-H rifles and put them up against a random sample of 10-20 Knight's SR-25 ECC/APCs or 10-20 HK 417A2s, which would run the best after 10,000 rounds were shot through them and torture tests were performed? We don't have that data guys, and it sucks.

MadAngler1
09-16-14, 15:06
I have a 20", doesn't everyone?

FN has a nonfolding stock for the SCAR, more robust.

A newer stronger button has been retro-fitted on the folders.

Magpul makes longer safeties.

VLTOR has a decent longer handguard.

All the afore mentioned 7.62 guns will make it to 7500rds, bolt & barrel.

The data points are certainly there, just have to look. If it's been adopted by a serious DOD component.. Good enough.

Hi sir. I am talking about mods from the factory, not after market parts. It's not like any US servicemen can just install after-market accessories on their service rifle, although many apparently have.

The data points aren't exactly public nor are they clear between different manufacturers of "state of the art" .308 rifles.

No doubt, the SCAR is the real deal though. I own one and like it :cool: . I am just a civilian, so I'm sure you have far more trigger time behind these guns than I will ever achieve. Do you think the SCAR-L or HK416 should replace the M4? Is the SCAR-H a success in your eyes given what it replaced (some SR-25s and M-14s)?

Thanks

Travis B
09-16-14, 15:09
Dano, any chances we could see a picture of your 20" barrel SCAR?

Fox33
09-16-14, 16:01
Sir, to start off I am answering your questions so please do not take this as confrontational, it is not intended as such. The PERSEC violations of another website mean I refuse to offer anything with my name and rank on it. So my name will always be black

What improvements has Handl made to the SCAR?

They submitted a 3 phase proposal in MAR of 2012 and a 6 phase proposal in MAR? 2014 called the Mk.17/Mk.20 improvement program. Some interest from the 8's, and about 100 were ran by team guys OCONUS. The VASWA Increment II Poster with upgrades shows optics rated for CAR-H use, there was a reason they had to be hardened, Handl Defense knows why and solved it. But it was never adopted program wide so to me that means another platform IMO

Their lowers are not exactly 100%

About 20 returns from one batch, out of a total of about 4000 sold were show to have an indexing defect. These 20 all have been replaced free of charge. So yes they are not 100 percent. They are 99.995% and the source all of this negative press comes from a site/persons "owned" by competition.

and no military unit to my knowledge has adopted them, just to use AR-10 type magazines.

No but individual team guys have, and not a single complaint and multiple recommendations for adoption.

The SCAR's magazines are very well made with the exception of the floor plate, which some say can pop loose if dropped on the ground while fully loaded (I have yet to duplicate this feat but some on this board with military service said it can happen).

The bottoms can shoot off no doubt about it BTDT magpul rubber magazine pull tabs are the quick fix

If FN wants to keep this platform alive, they need to listen to their users (civilian and military), and make improvements to the platform.

I agree 1000%

My suggested list of improvements would include:

- A metal reinforced polymer lower (which oddly enough, is seen on almost every polymer framed handgun in existence) Handl has done some testing and found that polymer can not be a stressed member like Magnesium or Aluminum. The higher modulus of these materials helps with a particular issue of the MK.17/Mk.20
- an aluminum stock latch Handl has these
- a more durable guide rod retaining plate (in theory, some have said it doesn't last long enough)
- different or improved rear stock options made of more durable fiberglass or composite materials, and with improved ergonomics (of course, I like the stock design on my SCAR-17) Handl has prototype CF ones
- replace the cheap metal hooks that serve as sling mounting points with something more durable
- Slightly longer handguard The front of the gun needs more than a bigger fore rail assembly IMO. They will be out soon enough
- Bigger Ambi selector lever
- Pistol grip compatible with AR-10/15 grips (which of course, necessitates a lower receiver design change)
- non-reciprocating charging handle, similar in set up to the HK G3 assault rifle

FN has the ability to do these things within reason, and I think they could hit another home run if they improve the gun. Of course, it could add 0.5-1 lb in weight to the rifle, but it's a small price to pay for improved durability and function. The SCAR-H is not a Knight's SR-25, which is a good thing. It's a battle rifle that is supposed to run like an AK-47 and still shoot 1.5-2 MOA with service ammo. I think the SCAR still has the potential to supersede the M4, if improved upon and if the price is right.

While I am a fan of the 417/416 and a well maintained SR25 (the SR25 EEC is ****ing badass) I fully agree with you. But I feel FN is not picking up the ball, and my instincts are saying people down south are probably thinking another direction.

Thanks

MBtech
09-20-14, 20:54
A Mercedes-Benz 55 AMG in 2001 is nothing compared to a twin turbo V6 in a regular base model now...
back then it was the shit.
Always room for improvement.
But if I could only keep just ONE weapon of my many..
It would be Scar.
Rifles are like a high performance sports car, how fast do you want to go?
How long do you want to go that fast?
and when it does break... then what?
Always good to look at the weak spots
just as much as the strong ones.

1911nbmore
09-24-14, 15:17
My buddy was lucky enough to find one in the wild. I thought the guy who had them was full of crap. So I spent my scar barrel money on something else. Still kicking myself for that one.

Squid
09-24-14, 17:23
My buddy was lucky enough to find one in the wild. I thought the guy who had them was full of crap. So I spent my scar barrel on something else. Still kicking myself for that one.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/65/6553/UNT4100Z/posters/the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

MBtech
09-24-14, 18:27
Where is "wild" ?
I want one:confused:

1911nbmore
09-25-14, 09:54
Where is "wild" ?
I want one:confused:

I'm hoping I might get another chance to purchase a 20 inch SCAR barrel. Since I'm no longer cash poor. Once I get one for myself I will share the info.

DiabhailGadhar
09-25-14, 10:19
I'm hoping I might get another chance to purchase a 20 inch SCAR barrel. Since I'm no longer cash poor. Once I get one for myself I will share the info.

^ BLUE FALCON!!!

MBtech
09-25-14, 14:17
LOL no doubt:p

mdrums
09-26-14, 20:52
SCAR17 owner here too...I agree with this.

Now what parts to really stock up on and what parts to have 1 or 2 around?????

DiabhailGadhar
09-26-14, 21:41
SCAR17 owner here too...I agree with this.

Now what parts to really stock up on and what parts to have 1 or 2 around?????

There is a sticky at the top of this section....

MBtech
09-26-14, 22:23
There is a sticky at the top of this section....

I agree with this

"The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder"

MBtech
09-26-14, 22:28
Lotta good info on there about that subject

MBtech
09-26-14, 22:55
Hopefully a Scar long barrel will become true soon.
I'll take 2 :)