PDA

View Full Version : Prayers go out to 2 PA state trooper families (ambushed, 1 killed, another shot)

domestique
09-13-14, 17:28
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/13/pennsylvania-police-barracks-shooting/

The gunman who ambushed two Pennsylvania state troopers late Friday night, killing one and injuring the other, is on the loose and dangerous, authorities said at a Saturday afternoon press conference.

The two troopers were ambushed outside a state police barracks in northeastern Pennsylvania during a late-night shift change.

One trooper was leaving the barracks in Blooming Grove, Pike County, and another was arriving when shots were fired at 10:50 p.m. Friday, State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan said.

Authorities identified the trooper killed as Bryon Dickson, which was first reported by The Times-Tribune. The other was injured and taken to Geisinger Medical Center in Scranton, where he was in stable condition after undergoing surgery.

He said the attack seemed to be directed at state police.

"This has been an emotional night for all of us," Noonan told reporters.

Law enforcement officials from across the region, including New York and New Jersey, descended on northeastern Pennsylvania to help with the search on foot and by helicopter. The Blooming Grove barracks is in a wooded area, surrounded by state game lands.

At a news conference after daybreak Saturday, Noonan said authorities were following several leads.

Noonan said police did not believe the general public was at risk, but they are asking everyone to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

"People in the area can come and go freely but should be alert," he said.

Several roads around the barracks, including parts of Interstate 84, were closed Saturday morning. Blooming Grove is a township of about 4,000 people about 35 miles east of Scranton.

Trooper Adam Reed, a state police spokesman, said the Blooming Grove barracks covers most of Pike County, which runs along the Delaware River and borders New Jersey and New York.

"There's a lot of rural area up where they patrol," he said. "As the primary police force in the county, they're going to respond to anything and everything."

Gov. Tom Corbett said he was praying for the slain trooper's family as well as the injured colleague.

"Every attack on an officer of the law is an attack on our state, our country and civilized society," Corbett said in a statement.

"The incident in Blooming Grove shows, once again, that our first responders face constant danger in order that the rest of us may live in peace and safety."

Here's hoping it was an isolated incident regarding a personal grudge and not another D.C shooter/ISIS jihad.

Wake27
09-13-14, 17:37
Damn. Reminds me of the Criminal Minds episode. Hope they smoke that bad guy fast.

Moose-Knuckle
09-13-14, 18:11
I always keep my head on a swivel when going to my POV after a shift ends, CCW AWIB, and NEVER wear a uniform home. Most LEA parking lots are soft targets and if other agencies are like mine most of the time our guys and gals pay little to no attention, talking/texting on their cells, ect. on their way out the door. I always wait till I'm in my truck, locked, and driving down the road before I call the wife.

wildcard600
09-13-14, 18:18
Hope this asshat (or hats) gets a JHP through the face.

TAZ
09-13-14, 19:23
Hope this asshat (or hats) gets a JHP through the face.

10000000000+

Prayers for the officers and their families.

Certainly hoping this is an isolated case of dipshit syndrome instead of something more nefarious.

devildogljb
09-13-14, 20:04
Sadly this has happened in my own back yard so to speak. I live in pike county not far from the barracks. I hope they catch the bastard who did this. They are looking for a person of interest. Prayers out to the officers family and injured officers family.

SeriousStudent
09-14-14, 02:46
I had read about that yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the two Troopers. I hope the killer is apprehended quickly, and no more good folk are hurt.

Averageman
09-14-14, 18:24
I just saw an airborne picture of that station and it has so much woodline around it the shot could have come from anywhere.

Voodoo_Man
09-14-14, 18:25
Rest easy troopers...we will take it from here.

devildogljb
09-14-14, 19:51
Pike county is nothing but woods and thick woods at that. Just find it weird that with all the road blocks and helicopters no one was found. Either this asshole or assholes are still in the woods some where or was able to get out of the area with out being noticed.

Averageman
09-14-14, 19:56
I've read a bit about this and I think the shots came from across the road.
If that is correct,
A) It might be a 200-250 yd shot at most.
B) The Shooter has a lot of time and terrain to use to their advantage.
It is little wonder they are having a hard time finding them.

davidjinks
09-15-14, 21:29
Just wanted to give an update to this...

Currently there is activity in the wood line in the general area of the initial shooting.

PSP have deployed their choppers and I believe they have troopers in the woods now.

Also just found out today (Have not been able to confirm it), apparently when first responders came in, they took fire as well. Their initial CCP was switched to a secondary area. Still listening to what's going on.

I'm not too far from where this shooting occurred.

davidjinks
09-16-14, 14:39
Reports are stating they have a shooting suspect. Images were released but I have not seen them yet.

Hopefully they get this ****er!

Clarification: Not in custody but they have a suspect they are looking for.

davidjinks
09-16-14, 14:43
Supporting news link from Fox:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/16/authorities-release-profile-gunman-who-ambushed-pennsylvania-state-troopers/

Local news link:

http://wnep.com/2014/09/16/state-police-name-suspect-in-trooper-slaying/

TAZ
09-16-14, 15:39
Odd that a guy planning a mass attack on a LEO HQ would leave his SS card and hunting license in his car. HMMMMM. It's either a serious case of Stupid is as stupid does or ...

Moose-Knuckle
09-16-14, 17:12
Odd that a guy planning a mass attack on a LEO HQ would leave his SS card and hunting license in his car. HMMMMM. It's either a serious case of Stupid is as stupid does or ...

Yes indeed, not like its beyond Holder and his ilk to use tatics he learned while working under Reno.

As Right-Wing Shooting Rampages Grow, U.S. Revives Domestic Terror Unit Shelved After 9/11

Less than a week after Attorney General Eric Holder revived a task force to look at domestic terrorists, a married couple aligned with the anti-government Patriot movement shot dead two Las Vegas police officers, killed a civilian bystander, and then turned their guns on themselves. Jerad and Amanda Miller had recently spent time at the ranch of Cliven Bundy during his standoff with the federal government. Police say they proclaimed "the beginning of the revolution" and laid an American Revolutionary flag and a swastika symbol on the dead officers’ bodies. The Las Vegas shooting came just two days after a man tied to the "sovereign citizen" movement attacked a Georgia courthouse, throwing smoke bombs and shooting a sheriff’s deputy, who returned fire and killed him. Authorities say the shooter, Dennis Marx, had homemade explosives, and food and water, suggesting he planned to take hostages. Holder’s decision to revive the domestic terror unit comes five years after Republican outrage led the Obama administration to withdraw a key report on the resurgence of the radical right wing . . .

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/6/10/as_right_wing_shooting_rampages_grow

Anti-Government Americans And The Threat To Law Enforcement
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/06/11/anti-government-extremists-las-vegas-killings

Holder is in full swing using the Las Vegas LEO murders/the support of the Bundy family over the BLM/etc as justification to attack his/Barry's political enemies. I surmise we will see more of these ambush murders and further erosion of rights in the name of safety.

devildogljb
09-16-14, 21:08
Here is what he has been charged with if any one wanted to take a look. https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJReport.ashx?docketNumber=MJ-60302-CR-0000207-2014 I just got a call from work saying i may have to come in due to a possible sighting 10 mins away from my job were i work security. Reports have said 3 shots were heard in the area and a possible sighting. This is 20+ or - miles away from original incident. I think the guy is still up in my area in the woods but who knows. Local schools also in the area of were the 3 shots being heard are cancelled for tomorrow.

TAZ
09-16-14, 21:13
Here is what he has been charged with if any one wanted to take a look. https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJReport.ashx?docketNumber=MJ-60302-CR-0000207-2014 I just got a call from work saying i may have to come in due to a possible sighting 10 mins away from my job were i work security. Reports have said 3 shots were heard in the area and a possible sighting. This is 20+ or - miles away from original incident. I think the guy is still up in my area in the woods but who knows. Local schools also in the area of were the 3 shots being heard are cancelled for tomorrow.

Be careful if you get called in and good hunting.

Eurodriver
09-16-14, 22:07

Definitely raises eyebrows, But let's try to remember the type of person that does these things is not usually the smartest or the most sane. This isn't the movies and he's no Bob Lee Swaggert.

davidjinks
09-16-14, 22:25
I think the closing of the schools was the best move for the locale.

Be safe if you have to go out.

Voodoo_Man
09-17-14, 04:00
There are enough LE swat teams in that area he couldn't cough without drawing the attention of someone.

Hopefully he gets found soon.

devildogljb
09-17-14, 19:32
Just thought i would update every one. As of right now the dirt bag is still on the run. They shut down a few roads a couple of hours ago in east stroudsburg near the college from a report some one seeing him entering a house near the college. Needless to say he was not there. The surrounding areas are pretty much on edge due too whats going on and of course the media is not helping. A lot of reports of his firearm training (he was on the high school shooting team and some type of historical war recreation group) and a army special forces sniper training manual was found in his room. Also a lot of talk of his " disdain for law enforcement and government since at least 2006". What has me a little worried was the talk of his fascination of mass shootings i read in a report yesterday. Even have the state police calling him a coward on tv (although i see where hes coming from and understand the emotions they must be all going threw im not sure i agree with pushing this guy with schools so close by and most are still in session) I got called into work on my vaca for extra security for over nights for the next couple of days. So hopefully this ends peacefully or they find him and some state police officer puts one between his eyes with no one else hurt either way is fine by me.
Heres a link which mostly every one i hear is referring too
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140917/NEWS/140919750

SteyrAUG
09-17-14, 20:12
Definitely raises eyebrows, But let's try to remember the type of person that does these things is not usually the smartest or the most sane. This isn't the movies and he's no Bob Lee Swaggert.

Reports are that he was trained by his father, who was an Army Major who made the comment that his son "doesn't miss." Other members of the family reported he doesn't have mental issues, etc. Not sure what his "war on law enforcement" is actually about or why he targeted state troopers. But what I really find "odd" about this "sniper" is he left two spent .308 casings in his car that match .308 casings used in the shootings.

So he either deliberately is leaving a "calling card" or he is a "sniper" who doesn't even pick up his own brass. Very strange that he'd take his own personal vehicle as well even if he did hike in a couple miles. Be a lot easier to stage your gear and walk in from the closest bus stop or whatever.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/16/trooper-killer-highway-closed/15710479/

A survivalist who spoke of committing mass murder was the subject of an intense manhunt Tuesday, accused of fatally shooting a Pennsylvania state trooper in an ambush last week.

Authorities issued an arrest warrant for Eric Matthew Frein, 31, accused of first-degree murder in the killing of Cpl. Bryon Dickson II, a 38-year-old married father of two, at the Pike County barracks in Blooming Grove. Trooper Alex Douglass, 31, was wounded as he arrived for duty late Friday.

devildogljb
09-17-14, 20:44
I looked up court records and found nothing other then a ticket. But there was also a report of a arrest warrant being out for him after he was charged with stealing some thing from a WWII reenactment and never showed up to court a couple of years ago. But other then that nothing major. So why all the hate on the police? Parents maybe? College buddies? Online? And why the social security card in the car along with 2 extra casings in the car. Who actually carries their SS card now a days? A lot of questions that i know we will probably never know the answers too. Well off to work i go have a nice night gents

SteyrAUG
09-17-14, 21:50
I looked up court records and found nothing other then a ticket. But there was also a report of a arrest warrant being out for him after he was charged with stealing some thing from a WWII reenactment and never showed up to court a couple of years ago. But other then that nothing major. So why all the hate on the police? Parents maybe? College buddies? Online? And why the social security card in the car along with 2 extra casings in the car. Who actually carries their SS card now a days? A lot of questions that i know we will probably never know the answers too. Well off to work i go have a nice night gents

Be careful out there.

Voodoo_Man
09-18-14, 03:53

More often than not, people I come in contact with (that are not driving) have their SS cards but not their ID's.

BBossman
09-18-14, 08:16
Wow, that USA Today article certainly hit all the marks using the right buzz words.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

SteyrAUG
09-18-14, 13:50
Wow, that USA Today article certainly hit all the marks using the right buzz words.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, even managed to somehow get "sniper version of the AK-47", I really want to see a picture of that one as I doubt the guy is running a Poly National Match or a PSL.

davidjinks
09-18-14, 19:14
EDITED: Edited out misleading information.

Scanner reports are going crazy right now. Still trying to confirm through any other local news sources.

Reports have been steady: A man dressed in dark clothing has been knocking on people's doors trying to gain entry, when nothing happens he is seen going back into the woodline.

WillBrink
09-18-14, 19:29
According to local sources they may have this guy on the run and possibly cornered in an abandoned building.

Scanner reports are going crazy right now. Still trying to confirm through any other local news sources.

Reports have been steady: A man dressed in dark clothing has been knocking on people's doors trying to gain entry, when nothing happens he is seen going back into the woodline.

As posted in the thread closed due to this existing thread (my bad mods), I refer to the immortal words of Sheriff Grady Judd, after a similar event:

When asked why he and fellow SWAT members shot cop killer Angilo Freeland 68 times after finding him hiding in the woods, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd responded, “That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more”

I wouldn't expect any quarter given nor do i expect the officers to risk their lives in any way a this point. Short of him being naked and lying face down with no guns close by when thy find him, the Judd quote applies..

davidjinks
09-18-14, 19:34
Having ties to the local and state police here in PA, I hope this cock bag doesn't make it out of the woods and is left there for the vermin to gorge on.

As posted in the thread closed due to this existing thread (my bad mods), I refer to the immortal words of Sheriff Grady Judd, after a similar event:

When asked why he and fellow SWAT members shot cop killer Angilo Freeland 68 times after finding him hiding in the woods, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd responded, “That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more”

I wouldn't expect any quarter given nor do i expect the officers to risk their lives in any way a this point. Short of him being naked and lying face down with no guns close by when thy find him, the Judd quote applies..

platoonDaddy
09-19-14, 12:43
Check out his uniform:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pa-schools-close-fearing-at-large-suspected-killer-article-1.1942830

WillBrink
09-19-14, 13:55
Check out his uniform:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pa-schools-close-fearing-at-large-suspected-killer-article-1.1942830

"Frein's father, Michael Frein, a retired major in the U.S. Army with 28 years of service, told police that his son is an excellent marksman who "doesn't miss," according to a police affidavit released Tuesday."

Assuming the press has not taken this out of context, I'd hope his father would appeal to him to surrender asap if he'd prefer not to see his son in a box. The way they are presenting the Major, it gives an impression he's supportive of his son and that may be classic press manipulation, I don't know.

Eurodriver
09-19-14, 14:00
This guy is a joke. The media hypes him up to be some superpower-possessing cop killer. He sat in some trees and took cheap shots from 200 yards max at some guys walking into/out of a building, and then scurried away like a little rodent. How much skill does that take?

If he was as good as they are making him out to be, we wouldn't know who he is at all.

The fact that they are even bringing up his father being a Major in the US Army is proof positive that his skillset is lacking and they are stretching. Think guys - how many Big Army majors do you know have wilderness skills, marksmanship skills, and can avoid a manhunt? None - and how that translates to his son is even more ridiculous. The guy is probably already dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

WillBrink
09-19-14, 14:09
This guy is a joke. The media hypes him up to be some superpower-possessing cop killer. He sat in some trees and took cheap shots from 200 yards max at some guys walking into/out of a building, and then scurried away like a little rodent. How much skill does that take?

If he was as good as they are making him out to be, we wouldn't know who he is at all.

The fact that they are even bringing up his father being a Major in the US Army is proof positive that his skillset is lacking and they are stretching. Think guys - how many Big Army majors do you know have wilderness skills, marksmanship skills, and can avoid a manhunt? None - and how that translates to his son is even more ridiculous. The guy is probably already dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

I'm not worried nor convinced in any way he's any more than a wanna be punk mall ninja who's read a few web site and pamphlets on "survival" with a dad who was in the Army who will fall apart the second he's on the two way range if he's not already dead. I doubt anyone else here feels any differently.

Outside of forums such as this, yes, the next coming of Rambo, yada yada.

Moose-Knuckle
09-19-14, 16:40

Well you know the War on Veterans rages on . . .

MSM and the Holders of the world have to paint you guys as National Security Threats, I surmise this now includes the children of Vets. :rolleyes:

platoonDaddy
09-19-14, 18:51
Being a home grown PA boy, wonder if any thought went into halting hunting season, for sure you can't have small game hunters shooting, while the search is going on.

davidjinks
09-19-14, 21:23
I haven't heard anything about it as of now.

It wouldn't surprise me if they shut the WMUs down in that area if this guy is t found by then.

Being a home grown PA boy, wonder if any thought went into halting hunting season, for sure you can't have small game hunters shooting, while the search is going on.

B Cart
09-19-14, 22:53
Reports coming in that they have him cornered in a house and shots have been fired. Let's hope this scum bad doesn't take the easy way out and shoot himself. It would be nice to see him get some well deserved justice, not by his own hand

platoonDaddy
09-20-14, 04:06
Reports coming in that they have him cornered in a house and shots have been fired. Let's hope this scum bad doesn't take the easy way out and shoot himself. It would be nice to see him get some well deserved justice, not by his own hand

Canadensis, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Police in Pennsylvania appeared to be closing in Friday night on the suspect in the slaying of a state trooper.

Police have surrounded a home where Eric Matthew Frein is believed to be hiding, a local government official told CNN. The home, which was broken into, is not far from Frein's family home in Canadensis, in the Poconos Mountains.

Police exchanged gunfire in the area with an individual believed to be Frein, the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/19/justice/pennsylvania-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

davidjinks
09-20-14, 07:07
Just a heads up with some of the linked stories...

It's a bunch a bullshit. They don't have him cornered and there was no exchange of gunfire. His old house was cleared last night without incident. There were reports of shots fired in the area but I don't believe it to be related.

**** CNN and their quest for WOW news! Pretty much the same for all of them. Yes, even Fox that I linked to previously.

Local news here has been doing an okay job on reporting. I recommend getting on the PSP website and/or the scanner for the area being mentioned.

To add, there is a "Shelter in place" order currently for the Monroe area. I don't have any other info as of right now. I will be editing my previous posts if I find any bullshit info in the posted links.

Voodoo_Man
09-20-14, 07:10

It's a bunch a bullshit. They don't have him cornered and there was no exchange of gunfire. His old house was cleared last night without incident. There were reports of shots fired in the area but I don't believe it to be related.

**** CNN and their quest for WOW news! Pretty much the same for all of them. Yes, even Fox that I linked to previously.

Local news here has been doing an okay job on reporting. I recommend getting on the PSP website and/or the scanner for the area being mentioned.

To add, there is a "Shelter in place" order currently for the Monroe area. I don't have any other info as of right now. I will be editing my previous posts if I find any bullshit info in the posted links.

Link to scanner / what radio channel to use?

davidjinks
09-20-14, 07:17
This has been okay for me so far. It does break up here and there, but it's good so far.

Also, Trooper Kelly is the PSP spokesperson. If you look up "Camp Cadet" you will be able to find updates direct from PSP/Trooper Kelly.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/7527/web

Link to scanner / what radio channel to use?

Eurodriver
09-20-14, 10:25

I feel like I've heard something like this before...

The media is looking for ratings. This guy is a joke.

montanadave
09-22-14, 09:28
Looks like the noose is tightening. Bets on whether he comes out in cuffs or a bag? My money's on a bag.

https://twitter.com/PoconoRecord?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2014%2F09%2F22%2Feric-matthew-frein_n_5860800.html&tw_i=514032562524913664&tw_p=tweetembed

Voodoo_Man
09-22-14, 09:38
Looks like the noose is tightening. Bets on whether he comes out in cuffs or a bag? My money's on a bag.

https://twitter.com/PoconoRecord?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2014%2F09%2F22%2Feric-matthew-frein_n_5860800.html&tw_i=514032562524913664&tw_p=tweetembed

A part of me wants instant justice...that instant gratification knowing he will never hurt anyone ever again.

Another part of me wants to see him in a court room, with state DA's ripping his life into shreds for a jury and the world to see. I want to see what kind of pathetic person he was in life and what led up to his cowardly act.

platoonDaddy
09-22-14, 13:52
If he planned this for a long time as the press has reported, how in the hell:

did his vehicle end-up in a shallow pond along with spent casings in the vehicle

his AK getting discovered

State Police requesting everyone to stay-in-place, but check your game cameras.

All of this just isn't adding up.

Voodoo_Man
09-22-14, 14:59
If he planned this for a long time as the press has reported, how in the hell:

did his vehicle end-up in a shallow pond along with spent casings in the vehicle

his AK getting discovered

State Police requesting everyone to stay-in-place, but check your game cameras.

All of this just isn't adding up.

He might have planned it, but since hes crazy it was the plan of a madman.

Eurodriver
09-22-14, 15:12
^ This.

Fortunately for LE and society as a whole, those with actual training and skills don't do this stuff. Prepping the area with equipment (weapon) and gear to evade (civilian clothes) and hitching a ride there would have been much smarter.

...unless of course he didn't leave his truck with SS card there at all...

platoonDaddy
09-22-14, 16:23
^

...unless of course he didn't leave his truck with SS card there at all...

B I N G O

SteyrAUG
09-22-14, 16:54
So much "WTF" in this story all around. Will be interesting to see what the actual events and motivations were.

And yeah, if somebody with some actual common sense and ability did this, they'd have at least caused as much damage as Dorner.

devildogljb
09-22-14, 19:52
Im still trying to wrap my head around the whole situation. None of it makes any sense why would he leave his rifle like that? And any word if the 308 he has a bolt action or semi auto? Where i work as security we have doubled our security personal to make sure every thing is gtg no doors unsecured extra patrols on the grounds etc. Its currently about 10 to 15 mins away from the current search area so its been interesting to say the least. Also got interesting call today saying we where having 16 fbi agents stopping by. Figured i would go take a look and introduce myself and check if they needed any thing. As soon as i entered the area they were at. I knew they where not your run of the mill agents. Every single one of them where decked out in multi cam uniforms, tan combat boots, velcro patches that i could not make out unfortunately . some had facial hair or clean shaven. Different brands of 3 day packs. Looked more like a military special operations unit then fbi. Guessing they where one of the SRT teams ( i was expecting guys in suits and ties.). I spoke to one of them really nice guy (all of them where friendly) said they had been in the area for 4 days. Just hope they get him soon so every one can get home to their families safe. I wanted to take a pic of the team from a distance but im pretty sure they wouldn't want their faces posted. But i did manage to get a pic of their truck. I noticed on top they had a device called Night Scan. Some type of FLIR ? Not going to lie though i was drooling over this truck lol If any of the local guys recognize the area if you would hold back on where it is i would greatly appreciate it.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/IMG_20140922_170139-1.jpg (http://s989.photobucket.com/user/devildogljb/media/IMG_20140922_170139-1.jpg.html)

platoonDaddy
09-22-14, 20:06
Im still trying to wrap my head around the whole situation. None of it makes any sense why would he leave his rifle like that? And any word if the 308 he has a bolt action or semi auto? Where i work as security we have doubled our security personal to make sure every thing is gtg no doors unsecured extra patrols on the grounds etc. Its currently about 10 to 15 mins away from the current search area so its been interesting to say the least. Also got interesting call today saying we where having 16 fbi agents stopping by. Figured i would go take a look and introduce myself and check if they needed any thing. As soon as i entered the area they were at. I knew they where not your run of the mill agents. Every single one of them where decked out in multi cam uniforms, tan combat boots, velcro patches that i could not make out unfortunately . some had facial hair or clean shaven. Different brands of 3 day packs. Looked more like a military special operations unit then fbi. Guessing they where one of the SRT teams ( i was expecting guys in suits and ties.). I spoke to one of them really nice guy (all of them where friendly) said they had been in the area for 4 days. Just hope they get him soon so every one can get home to their families safe. I wanted to take a pic of the team from a distance but im pretty sure they wouldn't want their faces posted. But i did manage to get a pic of their truck. I noticed on top they had a device called Night Scan. Some type of FLIR ? Not going to lie though i was drooling over this truck lol If any of the local guys recognize the area if you would hold back on where it is i would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe: Will-Burt’s Night Scan Powerlite is a roof-mounted, fold-down light tower typically used for scene lighting on heavy-rescue vehicles, mobile command centers, airport ARFF vehicles or large wreckers by delivering 9000 watts of AC light both forward and backward – 360˚ of light
http://www.willburt.com/media/photos/night-scan-powerlite/

devildogljb
09-22-14, 20:13
yeah your probably right, I studied it a little more in the pic. I didnt really take a good look when i was by it. Sorry had to crop the photo.

rocsteady
09-24-14, 08:41
Search continues. Was just in our command center for morning briefing and updates. This guy may not be Rambo but he picked a good area to hide. Don't want to put out anything sensitive but I'll update you fellas if I can.

Voodoo_Man
09-24-14, 11:14
Search continues. Was just in our command center for morning briefing and updates. This guy may not be Rambo but he picked a good area to hide. Don't want to put out anything sensitive but I'll update you fellas if I can.

I am assuming the theory is that he found a spot to hide and then ate a bullet, hopefully that is exactly what he did.

TAZ
09-24-14, 13:36
Man what a goofy situation. My tin foil must not be on very tight. A white guy, member of a military simulation group (pretty sure that's Airsoft, but it will mean militia before this is all over), uses AK supposedly..... A bit up the road we have a PTSD get sneak into the WH with a knife.....

Too many buzz word specials in one week.

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-14, 16:02
Man what a goofy situation. My tin foil must not be on very tight. A white guy, member of a military simulation group (pretty sure that's Airsoft, but it will mean militia before this is all over), uses AK supposedly..... A bit up the road we have a PTSD get sneak into the WH with a knife.....

Too many buzz word specials in one week.

Pretty much. Next up, another random school shooting . . .

Voodoo_Man
09-24-14, 17:15
Pretty much. Next up, another random school shooting . . .

UPS facility shooting this mornin.

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-14, 17:17
UPS facility shooting this mornin.

Did not hear about / see that one, here is a link after a search.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/24/us-usa-alabama-shooting-idUSKCN0HI1TV20140924

rocsteady
09-24-14, 21:47
I'll be back to check on the happenings from the overnight after 0700 Thursday.

Weird day with the command center split focus on the UNGA (united nations general assembly) and this oxygen thief in PA.

devildogljb
09-24-14, 23:24
Media has been has been turning the airsoft thing into a "paramilitary group" that he was involved in. PSP has stated they have seen him in the woods dressed in all black, found soiled adult diapers that they are now testing to see if their his, and Serbian cigs that cost $25 a pack online(alot of money for a guy who cant hold a job). Not to mention alot of rumors per facebook to every one running their mouth of why he killed the officer, every thing from he was having a affair with his sister to he was the one that arrested him on the warrant. God only knows what people will come up with next. Me personally i think this guy finally slipped into the reality he came up with and cant get out. But what do i know im just a dumb redneck who lives in the woods lol.

davidjinks
09-25-14, 06:40
All of this just getting weirder by the day.

Unfortunately I believe the local media has succumbed to the larger media "WOW" factor of news reporting.

I'm really not buying a lot of what has been reported these last couple days.

Eurodriver
09-25-14, 08:25

So, what do you do exactly? Private security? For who? I don't understand why non-LEOs would make a big deal about this and require "extra patrols on the grounds"? Are these patrols in highly wooded areas or around a complex? Have these patrols taken measures to prevent themselves from being victims of the type of attack that the PA Troopers were subjected to? It seems like extra patrols would be the exact opposite of what you'd want at a time like this.

This of course assumes the guy is actually smart - and any good. But he's not.

devildogljb
09-25-14, 11:29
Just your standard security guard nothing special by any means that works for the company. And its what corporate wanted. The "complex" is quite large and is surrounded by dense woods. Every one freaked out when media started mentioning mass murder bull a couple of days after the shooting.

So, what do you do exactly? Private security? For who? I don't understand why non-LEOs would make a big deal about this and require "extra patrols on the grounds"? Are these patrols in highly wooded areas or around a complex? Have these patrols taken measures to prevent themselves from being victims of the type of attack that the PA Troopers were subjected to? It seems like extra patrols would be the exact opposite of what you'd want at a time like this.

This of course assumes the guy is actually smart - and any good. But he's not.

WillBrink
09-25-14, 12:43
Just your standard security guard nothing special by any means that works for the company. And its what corporate wanted. The "complex" is quite large and is surrounded by dense woods. Every one freaked out when media started mentioning mass murder bull a couple of days after the shooting.

Are you guys armed? At least the company took the threat seriously. Many would just blow it off as "can't happen here" mentality.

devildogljb
09-25-14, 13:05
Are you guys armed? At least the company took the threat seriously. Many would just blow it off as "can't happen here" mentality.

Rather not say if we are or are not. And i was happy to see that they did take it seriously. There is alot of cant happen here mentality in the world. So when things happen every one looks at each other dumbfounded and ask how could such a thing happen. We have grown to be reactive instead of proactive.

platoonDaddy
09-26-14, 09:12
Rumor from England: EXCLUSIVE: Did survivalist cop killer deliberately target trooper because he thought officer was having affair with his brother's wife?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2769945/EXCLUSIVE-Did-survivalist-cop-killer-deliberately-target-one-troopers-shot-Police-reveal-quizzed-suspect-s-sister-law-love-triangle-surviving-officer.html

Eurodriver
09-26-14, 15:21
Rather not say if we are or are not.

OPSEC. I like this guy.

I hope my previous post didn't come off as condescending. I was just curious.

devildogljb
09-27-14, 11:30
Yeah I wasnt sure how to take that when I first read it but its fine, I dont get offended too easy. The fbi hrt guys Ive met and have talked too the last week has been a honor. Some of the nicest and most appreciative group of guys I have met in a long time. I know theres a new group of guys coming around today.

davidjinks
09-28-14, 07:35
Funny that you posted this...

There's been a lot of "rumor mill" talk going on that this is legit. I find it interesting that the brother was the first one arrested and interrogated not long after the shooting.

Rumor from England: EXCLUSIVE: Did survivalist cop killer deliberately target trooper because he thought officer was having affair with his brother's wife?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2769945/EXCLUSIVE-Did-survivalist-cop-killer-deliberately-target-one-troopers-shot-Police-reveal-quizzed-suspect-s-sister-law-love-triangle-surviving-officer.html

Voodoo_Man
09-28-14, 09:27
So there is a possibility this may be over some sort of domestic issue.

Does that negate the fact that a trooper is dead and another one seriously injured? Does it some how lessen the impact of this crazy person's actions?

WillBrink
09-28-14, 09:42
Yeah I wasnt sure how to take that when I first read it but its fine, I dont get offended too easy. The fbi hrt guys Ive met and have talked too the last week has been a honor. Some of the nicest and most appreciative group of guys I have met in a long time. I know theres a new group of guys coming around today.

Assuming you're referring to my Q, what would you get offended over? If you don't want to discuss your secret squirrel status for OPSEC reasons, all good to me.

devildogljb
09-28-14, 09:47
Assuming you're referring to my Q, what would you get offended over? If you don't want to discuss your secret squirrel status for OPSEC reasons, all good to me.

No wasnt directed towards you.

davidjinks
09-28-14, 09:53
I'm editing my post so as not to continue to add to the rumor mill.

CoryCop25
09-28-14, 10:24
I won't divulge any information I know about the incident on the web. I can however slow the rumor mill a little......

Trooper Dickson lived very close to the shooter's sister in law. She was interviewed extensively and there was no affair.

The shooter is not the super sniper that the media portrays him to be. Trooper Dickson did not die instantly and he was well aware that he was shot. The shooter was only 80 yards away with a 308 and missed several times.

platoonDaddy
09-28-14, 10:34
I won't divulge any information I know about the incident on the web. I can however slow the rumor mill a little......

Trooper Dickson lived very close to the shooter's sister in law. She was interviewed extensively and there was no affair.

The shooter is not the super sniper that the media portrays him to be. Trooper Dickson did not die instantly and he was well aware that he was shot. The shooter was only 80 yards away with a 308 and missed several times.

Been waiting for you to get off the sidelines and right our rudder.

Thank you,

CoryCop25
09-28-14, 10:39
The affidavit of probable cause should be public record unless it's sealed. The information in it is very disheartening....

I have 2 good friends out there playing in the woods, I am worried about them and hope they get the job done.

Voodoo_Man
09-28-14, 10:51
The affidavit of probable cause should be public record unless it's sealed. The information in it is very disheartening....

I have 2 good friends out there playing in the woods, I am worried about them and hope they get the job done.

I've looked for it online but couldn't find it. Trooper buddy of mine up there said it wasn't available as of yet.

Inkslinger
09-28-14, 11:04
I've looked for it online but couldn't find it. Trooper buddy of mine up there said it wasn't available as of yet.

http://scrantontimestribune.com/projects/Frein.pdf

Averageman
09-28-14, 12:07
What are the chances Frein has either killed himself or exited the area?

WillBrink
09-28-14, 12:44
No wasnt directed towards you.

Ah, my bad. Ignore. :cool:

Eurodriver
09-28-14, 13:06
What are the chances Frein has either killed himself or exited the area?

100%

If he is still in the woods: What is he eating? Where is he sleeping? Where is he getting fresh water from? How is he doing all of this while evading detection?

The shooter is not the super sniper that the media portrays him to be. ... The shooter was only 80 yards away with a 308 and missed several times.

You don't say???

platoonDaddy
09-28-14, 13:21
If he is still in the woods: What is he eating? Where is he sleeping? Where is he getting fresh water from? How is he doing all of this while evading detection?

If the news reports are accurate, on the 18th of this month he used his phone. As a result of that call, they narrowed the search down to 5 square miles.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/27/suspect-in-deadly-trooper-amush-gives-away-location-police-say/?intcmp=latestnews

Voodoo_Man
09-28-14, 13:41
http://scrantontimestribune.com/projects/Frein.pdf

Thanks for the link.

Averageman
09-28-14, 13:41
Thats ten days ago, right?
I think if you were moving inside of a 5 square mile area you would be pretty quickly scooped up.
I'm thinking he is dead or gone.

Eurodriver
09-28-14, 14:45
Thats ten days ago, right?
I think if you were moving inside of a 5 square mile area you would be pretty quickly scooped up.
I'm thinking he is dead or gone.

Exactly. Moreover, what is he drinking? This is an important question. In order to be alive for ten (or even two) days while actively evading an LE manhunt you need fresh water. Way more water than you can possibly carry.

It's summer. If he is drinking fresh water from streams he would already have the shits by now. That can really slow down a mans progress. He is either dead from malnutrition/dehydration, dead from a SIG, or he is not inside that 5 square mile area.

It's not rocket science. If half of PA was looking for me I would turn the phone on, make a call, drop the phone, and run as fast and as far as I could. He knows they can trace him.

Inkslinger
09-28-14, 14:51
Exactly. Moreover, what is he drinking? This is an important question. In order to be alive for ten (or even two) days while actively evading an LE manhunt you need fresh water. Way more water than you can possibly carry.

It's summer. If he is drinking fresh water from streams he would already have the shits by now. That can really slow down a mans progress. He is either dead from malnutrition/dehydration, dead from a SIG, or he is not inside that 5 square mile area.

It's not rocket science. If half of PA was looking for me I would turn the phone on, make a call, drop the phone, and run as fast and as far as I could. He knows they can trace him.

One Life Straw would filter more than enough water for the time he's been on the run. Don't forget they think he may have spent quite a bit of time preparing for this.

ETA: Don't forget they were finding adult diapers. You have to have something going in to get something coming out.

Voodoo_Man
09-28-14, 16:05
That area has a good mix of streams and dense wood. Difficult to search area.

Eurodriver
09-28-14, 18:35
One Life Straw would filter more than enough water for the time he's been on the run. Don't forget they think he may have spent quite a bit of time preparing for this.

ETA: Don't forget they were finding adult diapers. You have to have something going in to get something coming out.

I don't doubt the possibility that he may be in the woods successfully evading LE. I just doubt the probability of it. I haven't seen anything about this guy's intelligence. (I will take a stupid good shot over a smart bad shot any day) While diapers certainly suggest a lot of pre-planning, they are quite odd for someone intelligent to think would be necessary. He's not running 24 hours a day. He didn't think he had time to unzip his fly and let loose while he kept moving? Who takes a shit without stopping?? It just gets weirder and weirder...

If he is still alive I stand by my statement: He is either extremely smart with a personal beef against these particular LEOs, or he is a complete lunatic that has just gotten lucky so far.

TriviaMonster
09-28-14, 20:09
Too bad we can't train mountain lions to hunt and track people. And when they find them they get a tasty reward, if it could stomach eating such scum.

Hope they find him alive and in bad shape. Hope they send him to the justice system and not the legal system.

eodinert
09-29-14, 17:50
I don't doubt the possibility Who takes a shit without stopping??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak

platoonDaddy
09-29-14, 21:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak

OMG, forgot all about her.

Are they really closing in (hope the frig so): The hunt for alleged state trooper killer Eric Frein was narrowed Sunday to a rural Snow Hill Falls neighborhood bordering a state forest in Monroe County, where residents were once again advised not to leave home.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2014/09/29/Manhunt-for-Pennsylvania-police-shooting-suspect-escalates-near-state-forest/stories/201409290179

B Cart
09-30-14, 16:13
Fox now reporting that pipe bombs have been found in a campsite supposedly used by Frein. Has anyone actually seen him recently?? I wonder if they're closing in, or if he's been out of there for a while already... Any update Rocsteady?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/30/police-in-hunt-for-pennsylvania-trooper-ambush-suspect-find-pipe-bombs/

platoonDaddy
09-30-14, 16:14
EDIT: while I was typing and correcting my typo's B-Cart already posted the info.

It would appear he is still in the woods, probably moving from cabin to cabin.

State police searching for a man accused of killing a trooper and wounding another said Tuesday they found two pipe bombs capable of causing "significant damage" in the Pennsylvania woods during their search.

The bombs were not deployed, but they were fully functional and could have been set off by either a trip wire or a fuse, Lt. Col. George Bivens said.

They were among several items that were "clearly hastily discarded" at a campsite used by suspect Eric Frein, Bivens said at a news conference. He then called on Frein to surrender.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/30/police-in-hunt-for-pennsylvania-trooper-ambush-suspect-find-pipe-bombs/

rocsteady
09-30-14, 16:23
Was waiting for this to come out publicly. I saw pics of the IEDs/pipe bombs today and if they are any indication, he's a little more on the ball than we've been giving him credit for on the interwebs. Not much else I can relate at the moment though.

There is no shortage of manpower involved, that's for sure but listening to the guys talk about the area and the terrain, it's a nightmare. Not just places for him to be hiding but stuff you wouldn't have considered beforehand like hunting blinds that are there year-round and shooting alleys that go with the hunting blinds. Gotta' be a bit of a "hair on the back of the neck standing up" moment when you are walking and step into a 3 or 400 yard shooting lane with a blind at either end while looking for a dude like this...

Averageman
09-30-14, 17:44
Two pipe bombs were uncovered Tuesday morning by officers combing the dense Pocono Mountains forest for survivalist Eric Frein, Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Col. George Bivens said during a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

Cops also sighted Frein, wearing dark clothing, from a distance of about 75-100 yards away but were unable to apprehend him because of how dense the woods are, Bivens added.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/30/police-searching-pennsylvania-woods-for-suspected-cop-killer-eric-frein-find-pipe-bombs/20970056/?icid=maing-grid7%7Clegacy%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D538387

75 to 100 yds away, advantage goes to the defender.
I was hoping he had smoked the muzzle of his rifle by now, but it would appear he wants to continue the game he is playing.

Travis B
10-04-14, 13:46
Any update on this? It's starting to sound like Eric Rudolph's E&E, where he hid in the mountains of WNC for 5 years. Rudolph had the assistance of locals but I have no idea if it's the same instance with Frein.

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-14, 14:27
Maybe the Ebola got him?

Voodoo_Man
10-04-14, 14:54
Apparently two troopers were airvac'd two or so days back. Dunno any more.

They found his tent and bags. He ****ed up by using his cell. Unless he was trying to lure them in further.

MountainRaven
10-04-14, 23:55

Depends on what's in the water and whether or not he had been drinking any of it in the weeks, months, or years leading up this manhunt: Some of the nasties once had and recovered from will give you a certain level of immunity from getting those selfsame nasties ever again.

For some perspective: Backcountry Water: What Are the Risks? - REI.com (http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/water-risks.html).

Iraqgunz
10-06-14, 02:32
This should serve as a reminder to all of those who think the gov't is capable or enacting martial law and rounded people up. Hundreds of officers can't find one guy. What's going to happen when it's 5,000?

JBecker 72
10-06-14, 03:59
This should serve as a reminder to all of those who think the gov't is capable or enacting martial law and rounded people up. Hundreds of officers can't find one guy. What's going to happen when it's 5,000?

I think the Dorner case proved that very well. 1 guy with a moderate amount of training brought an entire area to a standstill.

Personally I think this guy crawled in a hole and died, or he is long gone.

T2C
10-06-14, 04:03

I'll bet a shiny new dime that this is an eye opener for some administrators with no real world field experience.

Voodoo_Man
10-06-14, 06:19
I'll bet a shiny new dime that this is an eye opener for some administrators with no real world field experience.

Ill bet a paycheck the thought hasnt even crossed their mind. If the Dorner scenario didnt give a light bulb, this wont.

"Deal with it when it happens" is the paper pusher motto.

platoonDaddy
10-06-14, 07:24
Reminds me of the Olympic Park Bomber (Rudolph) who was on the run for 5 years in the Appalachian wilderness, both federal and local amateur search teams scoured the area without success. He was a guy who supposedly had no survival training.

T2C
10-06-14, 09:01
"Deal with it when it happens" is the paper pusher motto.

You're being a little generous. I have worked for supervisors who lived by the motto "Deal with the aftermath, if it happens on my watch."

rocsteady
10-06-14, 09:04
Have it on pretty good authority that he is, unfortunately, still alive and kicking. Haven't checked much news to see what info is already out. I'll try to check back toward the end of shift with more.

Voodoo_Man
10-06-14, 09:12
You being a little generous. I have worked for supervisors who lived by the motto "Deal with the aftermath, if it happens on my watch."

Maybe. Either way we are faced with the same end of the desk.

TAZ
10-06-14, 11:12

Good point, but somewhat a different scenario. Government effectivity against loner criminals with nothing to lose is different than against law abiding folks with families, jobs and a vested interest in clearing their names legally. The U.S. Government managed to round up the Japanese during ww2 relatively effectively.

In all mattes laws only mean something to be law abiding. Criminals aren't hampered by such things.

docsherm
10-06-14, 11:24
Good point, but somewhat a different scenario. Government effectivity against loner criminals with nothing to lose is different than against law abiding folks with families, jobs and a vested interest in clearing their names legally. The U.S. Government managed to round up the Japanese during ww2 relatively effectively.

In all mattes laws only mean something to be law abiding. Criminals aren't hampered by such things.

Bad analogy with the Japanese. Most of them went willingly. They did not take up arms against the government.

You are also assuming that the law abiding citizens acknowledge that government as a legal one. Or are you saying the government will use their families as leverage to get them?

George Washington was considered a criminal by the British. It is all about perspective.

Averageman
10-06-14, 12:03
I wouldn't be surprised if he was either dead or sitting at a Black Jack table in Vegas.
I would think with FLIR, Night Vision and someone coordinating the efforts they should have had this guy by now.
I've seen how confused multiple groups of people can get in the woods with lots of commo traffic, some anxiety and excitement. It's a credit to their traaining that there hasn't been a friendly fire incident.

MountainRaven
10-06-14, 15:54
Bad analogy with the Japanese. Most of them went willingly. They did not take up arms against the government.

You are also assuming that the law abiding citizens acknowledge that government as a legal one. Or are you saying the government will use their families as leverage to get them?

Not only did most of them go willingly, many of their kids formed the cornerstone of the US Army's most decorated combat unit of the war and their parents forgave the government for imprisoning them in the first place.

As for the government using people's families as leverage... I'm sure the government won't. But they might allow a pro-government mob to get a little bit rough with them.

In any case, chasing 5,000 people is significantly different than hunting one. That many people tend to stand out, making them easier to track. They're harder to deal with once you've found them, but likely wouldn't last long against the National Guard and some CAS - especially if you can keep them from getting resupplied. But if you have, say, 50 people being helped by a support network of 4950 otherwise normal, law-abiding citizens....

rocsteady
10-06-14, 19:41
New York office FBI SWAT rotating back in to the search.

I'm gathering that the foliage is so thick that even the thermal/FLIR/etc is near useless from the air. Does appear, just from news reports, that he is leaving a lot of supplies behind. Gonna' start getting a little more difficult for him if the tuna and Raman noodles run dry.

TAZ
10-06-14, 20:39

George Washington was considered a criminal by the British. It is all about perspective.

That was my point re the Japanese. They were law abiding and had a vested interest in staying on the right side of the law. The gov. didn't need to chase them down. They donned their chains willingly. Same would happen today. A small minoroty would resist and be hard to track, but the majority would be in camps hoping for the end to come so they could get back to their regular days routine.

docsherm
10-06-14, 21:20
That was my point re the Japanese. They were law abiding and had a vested interest in staying on the right side of the law. The gov. didn't need to chase them down. They donned their chains willingly. Same would happen today. A small minoroty would resist and be hard to track, but the majority would be in camps hoping for the end to come so they could get back to their regular days routine.

Not likely so as the people that are deemed the biggest "threat" are NOT the ones to roll over and take it, even if they are the most law abiding types. The FSA would go willing because it would be more free shit. But they would be the last taken because of the current method of thinking in the GOV.

Moose-Knuckle
10-07-14, 15:06

Meh, that's what UAV's are for . . .

Eurodriver
10-08-14, 09:14
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/07/suspect-in-deadly-pennsylvania-ambush-continues-to-elude-police/

Still nothing...

rocsteady
10-08-14, 10:17
Talking with some of the guys going back to PA and all are commenting about how rough the terrain is and how dense the forest is in the area. One guy said it was an odd feeling as you are inching through the brush wondering if you are in someone's crosshairs. They are chomping at the bit to go anyway, no shortage of volunteers.

platoonDaddy
10-08-14, 14:55
Many residents still are prevented from returning home and all this without declaring marshal law (or did I miss that). Yes, I understand the trooper will never return home, but what about the living.

Nothing new:
http://6abc.com/news/manhunt-for-eric-frein-taking-a-toll-on-community/340867/

Notes:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/08/authorities-detail-chilling-note-left-by-alleged-police-killer-and-fugitive/

PA PATRIOT
10-08-14, 15:13
Have my doubts that the shooter is still even in the search area, I think the shooter planted false flag clues to keep the searchers concentrated in a certain area while he is long gone. The troopers are saying the shooter planned this attack out over several months or even years so he had endless time to plan and prep how this event would play out if certain step were taken on his part. Hence the reason he is still on the loose and the trooper are no closer in catching him.

rocsteady
10-08-14, 20:06
From that report and the way he described getting the truck stuck as a "disaster", it makes it sound like he was just planning to put distance between himself and the crime scene.

platoonDaddy
10-09-14, 03:37
Article in the Pittsburgh paper. If he was going to exit the area, but got stuck. How in the hell did he end up with enough food to keep him going? This doesn't all add up.

On the following page there are links to more stories:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2014/10/08/Police-Pennsylvania-state-trooper-shooting-suspect-Eric-Frein-described-ambush/stories/201410080186

Voodoo_Man
10-09-14, 05:57
For whatever my opinion is worth...

He grew up in that area, spent most of his life in those woods. We all go back to what we know best, and for him it may have been those woods. He may not need "food" per say since he may be killing local wild life and having dinner every night. Also, the "survivalist" style people that I know can survive for a good while on "disaster rations" like the 2000 calorie bars (though it sucks) but it is totally doable. He may also be completely insane and hunger, thirst and other ailments that may be an issue for you or I, may not really effect him as severely.

The PSP is pretty hardcore as far as agencies go. They would not be out there if they had even a remote idea he was not there. I doubt he tried to leave the area, he probably had this planned for some time, set all this in motion and tried to divert attention to another area with the jeep.

platoonDaddy
10-13-14, 06:15
The search cost is over $1 million per week and they are in their 5th week. 12 hour shift would kick anyone ass, let alone the idea you just might be in the cross-hairs. For those of you with friends involved in the search, anyone talk about the use of search dog teams?

The state police is fielding 12-hour shifts of 150 troopers each daily for the manhunt, now in its fifth week, according to the paperhttp://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2014/10/report_eric_frein_manhunt_cost.html

With no guarantee that the search will end soon, it raises the questions of how long the Pennsylvania State Police can keep up the pressure, and is it worth the costs that — in personnel alone — almost certainly exceed $1.3 million per week.

The answers to those questions, according to retired state police Troop M Commander Ted Kohuth, are "as long as it takes" and "whatever cost is necessary."
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-eric-frein-manhunt-costs-20141011-story.html#page=1

Eurodriver
10-13-14, 06:56
The answers to those questions, according to retired state police Troop M Commander Ted Kohuth, are "as long as it takes" and "whatever cost is necessary."
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-eric-frein-manhunt-costs-20141011-story.html#page=1

I am pretty divided on this:

We had a guy shot dead in the middle of the street while sitting at a stop sign in his truck on Friday. No barricades. No helicopters. No bloodhounds. Two years ago we had an LEO shot dead while searching for a suspect and the entire city went into lockdown for an entire weekend while they literally combed every single street going door to door looking for the guy.

On one hand, you can't have a society where it's easy to take out LEOs.

On the other hand, when is the last time $5,500,000 was spent over 5 weeks hunting any other shooting suspect?

platoonDaddy
10-13-14, 07:48
I am pretty divided on this:

We had a guy shot dead in the middle of the street while sitting at a stop sign in his truck on Friday. No barricades. No helicopters. No bloodhounds. Two years ago we had an LEO shot dead while searching for a suspect and the entire city went into lockdown for an entire weekend while they literally combed every single street going door to door looking for the guy.

On one hand, you can't have a society where it's easy to take out LEOs.

On the other hand, when is the last time $5,500,000 was spent over 5 weeks hunting any other shooting suspect?

As you, I am extremely divided, but I believe it is time for Plan B. Of course I don't know what Plan B is, with all the brain power in the LEO agencies involved, for sure they have already mapped out Plan B.

EDIT: just read Harrisburg K-9 units to join search, maybe this is plan B

http://www.abc27.com/story/26767715/harrisburg-k-9-units-to-join-manhunt-for-eric-frein

I don't believe this is the type of dog team required, as the officer stated "It's not searching vehicles and buildings for suspicious packages" that is why they need those good-old-boys from the hills to bring in their bear & coon dogs and turn them loose with GPS collars.

EDIT II: dang, typical lawmaker spend, spend and spend - Lawmakers support rising cost of Frein manhunt http://www.abc27.com/story/26775017/lawmakers-support-rising-cost-of-frein-manhunt

platoonDaddy
10-15-14, 08:51
Search for Eric Frein should look beyond woods, FBI agent says

For five years authorities in North Carolina searched the deep Appalachian wilderness in a frustratingly futile effort to locate 1996 Olympics bomber Eric Rudolph.

It turned out they would have been better off spending more time outside the local Taco Bell.

Rudolph, who repeatedly crept into the small town near the woods, was finally captured in Murphy, North Carolina, on May 31, 2003, after he was found rummaging through a grocery store Dumpster.

Balance the search between the woods and beyond is one of the lessons Woody Enderson, the now retired FBI agent that headed the Rudolph manhunt task force, said could benefit Pennsylvania authorities as they continue the search for their own Eric — Eric Frein.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-eric-frein-close-to-civilization-20141010-story.html

"For two years we had SWAT teams go out every day doing a grid search of the entire 500,000 acres," Enderson said. "We didn't find him there because he wasn't there."

platoonDaddy
10-18-14, 13:46
Pennsylvania police spot mud-covered, rifling-wielding Eric Frein; accused cop killer evades capture again: report
Investigators saw the man in all black in Paradise Township Saturday, a day after a woman claimed she spotted him near his former high school. Frein, accused of killing a state trooper during an attack on police barracks, has been on the lam ever since the Sept. 12 shooting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/pa-police-spot-eric-frein-carrying-rifle-covered-mud-article-1.1979017

montanadave
10-18-14, 14:58
Keystone Cops in the Keystone State.

CoryCop25
10-18-14, 16:44
Keystone Cops in the Keystone State.

C'mon bro!

The brass wants him alive. He is innocent until proven guilty and he has not been a threat to others. He has been in the cross hairs several times and no green light has been given.
I'm sure if we smoked him when he wasn't armed there would be a ton of complainers too. Damned if we do damned if we don't.......

montanadave
10-18-14, 17:17
C'mon bro!

The brass wants him alive. He is innocent until proven guilty and he has not been a threat to others. He has been in the cross hairs several times and no green light has been given.
I'm sure if we smoked him when he wasn't armed there would be a ton of complainers too. Damned if we do damned if we don't.......

Yeah, sorry. Not getting my fiber. But, hey, this guy's been on the lam for how long? With how many folks looking for him? In an area how big?

Tommy Lee Jones woulda had this guy tagged and bagged ages ago. I just watch too many movies, I guess.

WillBrink
10-18-14, 17:39
C'mon bro!

I have not heard that. I didn't know he'd been seen at all. I'd expect they'd shoot on sight if armed unless he was naked waving a white flag or something. Short of that, I wouldn't expect them to take any chances.

MistWolf
10-18-14, 18:09
It's long been police policy to not feed everything they know to the press- or to even give them accurate info

WillBrink
10-19-14, 07:33
It's long been police policy to not feed everything they know to the press- or to even give them accurate info

Of course, but unless Cory has some insider knowledge we don't (perfectly possible) I have not heard nor read he's been seen, glassed, and allowed to go. If true, and he does go on to kill anyone else, that's bad mojo.

platoonDaddy
10-19-14, 12:16
I have not heard that. I didn't know he'd been seen at all. I'd expect they'd shoot on sight if armed unless he was naked waving a white flag or something. Short of that, I wouldn't expect them to take any chances.

There are a few press releases my PASP that they have spotted him, obviously they didn't take the shot. Wish the hell they would give the green light!

WillBrink
10-19-14, 12:30
There are a few press releases my PASP that they have spotted him, obviously they didn't take the shot. Wish the hell they would give the green light!

To quote:

"When asked why he and fellow SWAT members shot cop killer Angilo Freeland 68 times after finding him hiding in the woods, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd responded, 'That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more'"

SomeOtherGuy
10-19-14, 20:42
C'mon bro!

This is the right way to do it, and I'm glad to hear that's their approach.

IMHO, Keystone Kops was the LAPD/California response to Eric Dorner, which resembled something out of the Naked Gun series. So far PASP hasn't made most of their mistakes. Patience is a virtue, gunning people down at random is not.

Heavy Metal
10-19-14, 21:21
The only reason I can see for not taking the shot is not being sure it is really him. Would not want to pop an innocent by mistake, that would be a shitstorm of epic proportions.

Moose-Knuckle
10-20-14, 04:16
The only reason I can see for not taking the shot is not being sure it is really him. Would not want to pop an innocent by mistake, that would be a shitstorm of epic proportions.

Yup, it is that time a year to start running around in the woods in search of bucks.

platoonDaddy
10-20-14, 05:59
Yup, it is that time a year to start running around in the woods in search of bucks.

The following is from an Oct 3 article, don't believe it has been lifted.

Hunting and trapping has been banned in seven northeastern Pennsylvania townships after police found explosive devices allegedly left by Frein.

SomeOtherGuy
10-20-14, 08:29

The law is that anyone, including a police officer, can only shoot a person who presents an imminent threat of severe harm or death (the threat doesn't need to be directly at the shooter, if the shooter has reason to believe another innocent person faces such a threat). If Frein points a gun at someone then yes, shooting is legally justified. It is not legally justified, and therefore illegal, if someone (including a LEO) just sees him at a distance, when there is not an imminent threat.

This issue seems to reappear any time there is a manhunt for an alleged cop-killer or similar. The law is simple and settled. I can only guess that some people don't believe in the law.

platoonDaddy
10-21-14, 13:01
Dang, a look-alike in the area is having a VERY rough time.

Police searching for Eric Frein have questioned James Tully so many times that he started carrying his driver’s license and work identification on a neck lanyard to prove his identity

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20141020/NEWS/141029919

Whiskey_Bravo
10-21-14, 13:13
Dang, a look-alike in the area is having a VERY rough time.

Police searching for Eric Frein have questioned James Tully so many times that he started carrying his driver’s license and work identification on a neck lanyard to prove his identity

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20141020/NEWS/141029919

Hot damn. Sucks big time for a guy just trying to make ends meet. What options does the guy have other than to get stopped 5-10 times a damn day?

Eurodriver
10-21-14, 15:08
The law is that anyone, including a police officer, can only shoot a person who presents an imminent threat of severe harm or death (the threat doesn't need to be directly at the shooter, if the shooter has reason to believe another innocent person faces such a threat). If Frein points a gun at someone then yes, shooting is legally justified. It is not legally justified, and therefore illegal, if someone (including a LEO) just sees him at a distance, when there is not an imminent threat.

This issue seems to reappear any time there is a manhunt for an alleged cop-killer or similar. The law is simple and settled. I can only guess that some people don't believe in the law.

Like Mrs. Weaver?

Voodoochild
10-21-14, 16:35
Everyone here needs to tread carefully. Do not turn this into a Johnson measuring contest.

six8
10-21-14, 19:00
Hot damn. Sucks big time for a guy just trying to make ends meet. What options does the guy have other than to get stopped 5-10 times a damn day?

How about the Police give him a lift?

platoonDaddy
10-21-14, 20:01
For sure he is having a rough time making ends meet. How sad for him!

Question: Since the shooting of the Officer isn't a federal crime (or is it?) what authority does a Federal Officer have in stopping and questioning a citizens as Tully?

Voodoochild
10-21-14, 20:18
I am fairly certain the Feds have been made aware of the goings on and are helping with the case. The Feds would have the ability to stop and talk to Tully. Although I am sure he is getting tired of it. Wouldn't be a fed case but guarante he is looking at capital murder charges.

Eurodriver
10-22-14, 06:16
What authority does a Federal Officer have to bruise somebody's ribs for walking to work?

We are asking the wrong questions...

Why they are still searching this wooded area is beyond me. The dude is gone!

platoonDaddy
10-22-14, 08:45
Another theory on Frein:

Tom Brown, the legendary American tracker and founder of the Tracker School in Manahawkin, N.J., says that Frein likely planned the attack and escape for years. That’s corroborated, says Mr. Brown, by stories about Frein disappearing from work for weeks at a time, likely to prepare food caches and find hidden shelters. The fact that searchers have failed to spot Frein with heat-sensitive scanners suggests he may be hiding in caves.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/1021/Eric-Frein-sightings-How-wilderness-ninja-has-outfoxed-1-000-cops-video

T2C
10-22-14, 08:51
Another theory on Frein:

Tom Brown, the legendary American tracker and founder of the Tracker School in Manahawkin, N.J., says that Frein likely planned the attack and escape for years. That’s corroborated, says Mr. Brown, by stories about Frein disappearing from work for weeks at a time, likely to prepare food caches and find hidden shelters. The fact that searchers have failed to spot Frein with heat-sensitive scanners suggests he may be hiding in caves.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2014/1021/Eric-Frein-sightings-How-wilderness-ninja-has-outfoxed-1-000-cops-video

That was an interesting article and it brings up some very good points.

How many square miles is the search area?

platoonDaddy
10-22-14, 09:19
That was an interesting article and it brings up some very good points.

How many square miles is the search area?

The last report by PASP was five square miles. Due to the recent sightings last Friday and Saturday around his H.S., don't know if that is still valid.

Irish
10-22-14, 09:46
This blog, from a PA attorney, has some salient points regarding the ongoing search and it's constitutionality. (http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/10/03/the-legal-issues-of-the-eric-frein-manhunt/) Some I agree with, others I don't, but still thought provoking.

They should fully utilize the resources provided them under the law to pursue and arrest the suspect, who will then be afforded an opportunity to defend himself before a judge and jury. Let us not forget that, as of now, he is a suspect and no matter what evidence has been presented by the media or the police, the foundation of our criminal justice system is that everyone receives the presumption of innocence until proven guilty...

The fact that the State Police feel a greater need to pursue a suspected murderer who killed a fellow officer than a suspected murderer who killed a mere “civilian” obliterates the objectivity with which much of the respect and authority of the police is based upon. Establishing respect for the law starts with those tasked with upholding it. Making exceptions because of one’s status as a police officer can only harm respect for the law.

SomeOtherGuy
10-22-14, 10:02
This blog, from a PA attorney, has some salient points regarding the ongoing search and it's constitutionality. (http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/10/03/the-legal-issues-of-the-eric-frein-manhunt/)

That is an excellent essay, and worth reading for anyone following this situation.

platoonDaddy
10-22-14, 10:18
Excellent, will print out to read again, great points on the constitutionality.

Many people have commented that this is an exigent circumstance, requiring such measures as roadblocks, random searches, curfews, etc. The law, however, says otherwise.

TAZ
10-22-14, 10:40
That is an excellent essay, and worth reading for anyone following this situation.

Agree. Very interesting read. Can anyone from the area truly confirm that there really is a seemingly shoot on sight order out for this guy. Unless he is actively surrendering has a lot of leeway. If true this is really scary and whoever issued such an order needs to be under a jail.

Irish
10-22-14, 11:23
Agree. Very interesting read. Can anyone from the area truly confirm that there really is a seemingly shoot on sight order out for this guy. Unless he is actively surrendering has a lot of leeway. If true this is really scary and whoever issued such an order needs to be under a jail.

It's been reported on many different places. Here's one. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/accused-cop-killer-eric-frein-repeatedly-appears-eludes/story?id=25734478)

"Lethal force is authorized upon positive identification if he is not actively surrendering," Bivens said.

Eurodriver
10-22-14, 12:04
This was all discussed a few pages ago (maybe it was deleted)

The consensus was that if you are shot while walking out of work they will chalk line your body and you'll become a file on someone's desk.

What are we at now? $7,000,000? How much did the DC sniper manhunt cost?

Maybe Frein isn't the guy at all....I know I've heard "white guy with a beef against the govt" turn out to be a Minority extremist more than once.

Irish
10-22-14, 16:06
What are we at now? $7,000,000? How much did the DC sniper manhunt cost?

Maybe Frein isn't the guy at all....I know I've heard "white guy with a beef against the govt" turn out to be a Minority extremist more than once.

Maybe he really believed dude was banging his wife, or whatever the story is, and his "job" is now done. At this time he doesn't appear to be much more of a threat to the general public than any other person who commits a murder. If they gave the same response to any other murder in America every major city in the U.S. would be shut down on a continual basis.

Irish
10-23-14, 15:26
GoFundMe account (http://www.gofundme.com/g43pg8?utm_content=bufferecc7c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) set up for the guy who keeps getting mistaken for Eric Frein to purchase a vehicle. So far it's over $10k in one day.

Irish
10-23-14, 15:28
And a Porsche stolen from that area was found in upstate NY. http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26876192/stolen-porsche-found-in-ny

platoonDaddy
10-23-14, 16:42
And a Porsche stolen from that area was found in upstate NY. http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/26876192/stolen-porsche-found-in-ny

WOW, this is a very interesting twist. Thanks for posting.

platoonDaddy
10-27-14, 14:07
Thinking outside of the box, they are using a donated tethered unmanned balloon from Ohio.

http://www.wtma.com/common/more.php?m=58&ts=1414433102&article=63B67D6C5DFB11E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2.

EDIT: Balloon a bust in Pa. trooper killing manhunt http://www.dailylocal.com/general-news/20141029/balloon-a-bust-in-pa-trooper-killing-manhunt

platoonDaddy
10-28-14, 06:03
Any idea why Connecticut SP is singled out (surely they aren't the only state providing SP or are they):

Two hundred uniformed Pennsylvania State Police troopers and hundreds of others from the FBI, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Connecticut State Police and local law enforcement have descended upon this small, rustic hunting town.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-frein-manhunt-20141027-story.html#page=1

Moose-Knuckle
10-28-14, 15:04
He's probably on a beach somewhere very warm being served something cold and tasty by scantily clad women hanging out with D.B. Cooper . . .

CoryCop25
10-30-14, 17:35
Keep an eye on this thread..............

rocsteady
10-30-14, 17:43
I just read he was captured alive!
http://6abc.com/news/sources-suspected-cop-killer-eric-frein-captured/373904/

Big A
10-30-14, 17:47
Just saw that he was captured on FOX news.

WillBrink
10-30-14, 17:54
I just read he was captured alive!
http://6abc.com/news/sources-suspected-cop-killer-eric-frein-captured/373904/

Glad it's over, but it appears he'll live on to use up perfectly good air.

Voodoo_Man
10-30-14, 18:23
From what i'm hearing he was caught at the local airport...

platoonDaddy
10-30-14, 18:26
From what i'm hearing he was caught at the local airport...

YEA! YEA!

A law enforcement source told Fox News U.S. Marshals arrested Frein after obtaining information that he was hiding in an airport hangar near Buck Hill, the same general area where they had been searching for him.

platoonDaddy
10-30-14, 18:31
Keep an eye on this thread..............

You sly devil! :)

SeriousStudent
10-30-14, 19:10
I am very relieved that no good folks were injured in the capture. I was fearing that he would hole up in a remote house and take the occupants hostage.

Voodoo_Man
10-30-14, 19:12
I am very relieved that no good folks were injured in the capture. I was fearing that he would hole up in a remote house and take the occupants hostage.

Obviously he's not that bright.

NCPatrolAR
10-30-14, 20:23
Looks like he caught something with his nose

7.62NATO
10-30-14, 21:41

Averageman
10-31-14, 08:03
It borders on wanting to get caught, waiting that long and running through the woods in the same AO all this time.
I'm glad he was captured, but I'm pretty sure he's as nutty as a squirrel turd.

Blinking Dog
10-31-14, 10:21
Can't help but chuckle a bit seeing him being led out by a bunch of troopers, seeing his face quite...um...battered? Perhaps he fell down some stairs or something...
I'm not sure what the official report will say, but don't give a sh_t. If ever there was a dude who needed an attitude adjustment, it was this guy.
Will he survive long in prison?

BoringGuy45
10-31-14, 10:34
Can't help but chuckle a bit seeing him being led out by a bunch of troopers, seeing his face quite...um...battered? Perhaps he fell down some stairs or something...
I'm not sure what the official report will say, but don't give a sh_t. If ever there was a dude who needed an attitude adjustment, it was this guy.
Will he survive long in prison?

He killed a cop. He'll be a hero to the scum that populates the prison.

7.62WildBill
10-31-14, 11:28
I heard on the news that he was handcuffed with the slain Troopers's cuffs and driven to the detention center in the Trooper's cruiser. If true, this sounds a bit odd. I get the poetic justice angle, but still seems a little weird.

Voodoo_Man
10-31-14, 15:46
I heard on the news that he was handcuffed with the slain Troopers's cuffs and driven to the detention center in the Trooper's cruiser. If true, this sounds a bit odd. I get the poetic justice angle, but still seems a little weird.

That is customary.

Locally every accused homicide suspect is cuffed with that officers cuffs and driven to the jail in his own.

devildogljb
10-31-14, 21:11
Very happy this has come to a end with out any one else getting hurt.

WillBrink
10-31-14, 21:32
That is customary.

Locally every accused homicide suspect is cuffed with that officers cuffs and driven to the jail in his own.

Works for me. A tradition that has deep meaning to the men and women of the thin blue line that infringes on no Rights of the person in custody.

Eurodriver
10-31-14, 21:39
That is awesome.

That is customary.

J-Dub
10-31-14, 22:17
So does anyone know why this nutcase did what he did?

p.s. I love the quote from the U.S. Marshal that caught him "we weren't messing around"...that is apparent from his face's condition.

ABNAK
11-01-14, 09:27
So does anyone know why this nutcase did what he did?

p.s. I love the quote from the U.S. Marshal that caught him "we weren't messing around"...that is apparent from his face's condition.

They said he already had the "scratches" on his face when they captured him. :rolleyes:

Don't really care (he's a cold-blooded murderer, the fact that the victim was a cop is irrelevant in that regard) but I ain't buying it. Just say he put up a fight.

platoonDaddy
11-05-14, 11:00
Always (still) wondered why he was clean shaven and how did he charge his electronics.

Curiouser and Curiouser – Eric Frein Had Laptop and WiFi While Eluding Capture….
Posted on November 4, 2014 by sundance

On the night he was “captured” there were many, well, observations that just didn’t align with the previous narrative as delivered. Frein was clean shaven, well kept, and did not appear to present post-capture in a manner consistent with media reports.

During an earlier and generally ignored FBI interview (with a few professional trackers) the quiet opinion was that Eric Frein was “playing a game” with law enforcement. To that end a few opined that his “appearances” were intentional, and he was staying inside the containment zone purposely to continue the hide-and-seek approach

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/11/04/curiosor-and-curiosor-eric-frein-had-laptop-and-wifi-while-eluding-capture/

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-14, 15:18
Always (still) wondered why he was clean shaven and how did he charge his electronics.

Goal Zero, Brunton, etc all make solar chargers they can run fridges and flat screen TVs. I have multiple options to charge radios/cell phones. As for shaving, cold water shaving in a creek/rain collection?

CoryCop25
11-05-14, 22:24
He had a solar charger and various other items. They did a search warrant on the hangar and recovered 119 items.

Eurodriver
11-13-14, 22:18
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/13/eric-frein-suspect-in-pennsylvania-state-trooper-ambush-charged-with-terrorism/

Charged with TERRORISM?

So killing LEOs is a TERRORIST offense now if your political views are disagreeable? Talk about the thought police.

If Someone commits murder, charge him with murder and sentence him accordingly.

MountainRaven
11-13-14, 22:37
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/13/eric-frein-suspect-in-pennsylvania-state-trooper-ambush-charged-with-terrorism/

Charged with TERRORISM?

So killing LEOs is a TERRORIST offense now if your political views are disagreeable? Talk about the thought police.

Well, we kinda had to know it was coming. I'm just surprised it took them thirteen years to do it.

docsherm
11-13-14, 22:49

Charged with TERRORISM?

You have to be F#$%ing kidding me! This guys kills a cop and is now a terrorist and that shit head at Fort Hood wasn't because he was a muslim?

This is the biggest crock I have ever heard. What is going on in this country?

SeriousStudent
11-13-14, 23:05
A couple of things come to mind.

What was the shooter's stated motives? Is that the grounds for the charge?

If they charge him with terrorism, is he now eligible for the death penalty? My understanding is that PA does not currently execute people for murder. Is that correct?

If they can execute him for terrorism, then is it the plan to charge him with that and then plea bargain down to murder? That way you get a slam-dunk for a life term?

I'm not an attorney, and I've never slept in a Holiday Inn Express. Just thinking out loud.

Averageman
11-13-14, 23:07
You have to be F#$%ing kidding me! This guys kills a cop and is now a terrorist and that shit head at Fort Hood wasn't because he was a muslim?

That was a particuar bit of a slap in the face wasn't it?
It is ironic to say the least and at worst political football with the life of an LEO and a number of Soldiers.

NCPatrolAR
11-13-14, 23:12
I can see PC for the terrorism charges after reading the affidavit.

SomeOtherGuy
11-13-14, 23:23
Charged with TERRORISM?

Sounds crazy. I would speculate it's for two related reasons:

1) They are probably feeling the criticism for spending literally dozens of times as much effort to find Frein, who murdered one person, as they do for any other murderer in the state, and it is blindingly obvious that they spent so much effort because the victim was a state trooper, vs. literally anyone else. By charging him with terrorism they can make this out to be something more than just a murder case and try to head off further criticism of the wildly disproportionate effort.

2) They are probably trying to make or reinforce a precedent that the state and LE can disregard the Constitution whenever they want, just by declaring something to be "OMG TERRORISM!!!!" which does seem to work with a lot of the sheeple, even some who might otherwise seem to be at least somewhat liberty minded. Many of the reported tactics in the search look to be unconstitutional, being far outside of the time and danger level for the legal exceptions covering emergency situations where it is not possible to obtain a warrant for a search.

Voodoo_Man
11-14-14, 05:30
Terrorism means a lot of things, lets not knee jerk blame the police and instantly put everything on their shoulders, that coward is the bad guy here, not the police.

Is a terrorism charge warranted? Most definitely. Were people afraid to leave their homes? Were schools closed? Were stores damaged financially and were people afraid to go to them? All yes. If you put any random citizen of that county on the stand and ask them if they were afraid to leave their homes or let their kids leave, or if they feel "terrorized" most will say yes. Not by the LEO, like some here seem to think, but by this coward POS. He deserves the worst the system has to offer.

J-Dub
11-14-14, 05:56
Not to mention at the end of the day, the DISTRICT ATTORNEY has final say on the charges brought against someone....NOT THE POLICE.

But keep hating I suppose.

Eurodriver
11-14-14, 06:55

Where did I say anything about THE POLICE? I know how the criminal justice system works bro. Stop being so defensive. My beef is with whoever charged him with terrorism, those that pushed for it, and those that allowed it.

I also don't care if little kids were afraid to go to school or some soccer moms took some time off from driving to recitals. They do the same thing when other soccer moms get abducted and murdered, or little school kids get snatched and killed too. Are those murderers terrorists? They pose an exponentially greater threat on the general public than Frein did. Someotherguy hit the nail on the head.

Oh, and of course that whole Fort Hood thing. How long did that take to be declared terrorism? 2 years? They just caught the guy like 2 weeks ago...why isn't this listed as a "personal grudge"? Glad to see that one LEO shot and one killed is automatically terrorism, yet the lives of 13 US Army soldiers and 33 wounded is "workplace violence" for several years. Step out of your "In Defense of LE" mode for a few seconds and try to grasp the big picture. I'm not taking sides here.

Those of you that "see that terrorism was appropriate" might disagree when your little cache of arms at home makes you a terrorist. The Feds don't care about your badges, bros.

Voodoo_Man
11-14-14, 07:02
Not to mention at the end of the day, the DISTRICT ATTORNEY has final say on the charges brought against someone....NOT THE POLICE.

Shhhhh, too much logic and facts here, don't want to overload the masses.

Eurodriver
11-14-14, 07:08
Shhhhh, too much logic and facts here, don't want to overload the masses.

Can you point out the post in which LE were blamed for the terrorism charge?

If you get overloaded, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll walk you through it Barney style.

Voodoo_Man
11-14-14, 07:23
Can you point out the post in which LE were blamed for the terrorism charge?

If you get overloaded, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll walk you through it Barney style.

Guess you feel as though the comments were directed towards you.

If you feel as though you are anti-LE, wear the title proudly or do not comment at all - either way, figure you where you stand and why. Pointing fingers at others for your choices of personal opinions is not how logical discussions are conducted.

NCPatrolAR
11-14-14, 07:58
For the people poo-poo'ing the terrorism charges; what constitutes a terrorism charge to you and when should it be applied?

SilverBullet432
11-14-14, 08:10
Terrorism, to me would be mass murders, car bombs, bombs in general. Some peckerwood cop killer who went into the brush? Its happened before. Now if that state doesn't execute murderers, then maybe thats why they considered the terror charge?

platoonDaddy
11-14-14, 08:15
Definitions of domestic terrorism

The statutory definition of domestic terrorism in the United States has changed many times over the years; also, it can be argued that acts of domestic terrorism have been occurring since long before any legal definition was set forth.

According to a memo produced by the FBI's Terrorist Research and Analytical Center in 1994, domestic terrorism was defined as "the unlawful use of force or violence, committed by a group(s) of two or more individuals, against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."[2]

Under current United States law, set forth in the USA PATRIOT Act, acts of domestic terrorism are those which: "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."[3]

Eurodriver
11-14-14, 08:15
Guess you feel as though the comments were directed towards you.

If you feel as though you are anti-LE, wear the title proudly or do not comment at all - either way, figure you where you stand and why. Pointing fingers at others for your choices of personal opinions is not how logical discussions are conducted.

Home boy. Where did I say that I felt anything was directed toward me?

I asked you to point out ANY post. Not just mine.

If you feel the need to belittle people who question why terrorism charges are applied to a cop killer, you are part of the problem.

NCPatrolAR
11-14-14, 08:20
Terrorism, to me would be mass murders, car bombs, bombs in general.

And you make the classic mistake by looking at how the attack was done or the body count. It's the purpose behind the act(s) that determine if it's terrorism not the method of attack or anything else

NCPatrolAR
11-14-14, 08:22
Stop the personal attacks or I'm going to go all jihadi with infractions.

Eurodriver
11-14-14, 08:27
Now that would be terrorism ;)

What exactly was the purpose behind the acts? Is this public record yet? Besides that he's a lunatic? And wasn't there a terrorist motive behind the fort good shooting?

Stop the personal attacks or I'm going to go all jihadi with infractions.

montanadave
11-14-14, 08:29
For the people poo-poo the terrorism charges; what constitutes a terrorism charge to you and when should it be applied?

That's an interesting question and one which I think too few lawmakers seriously thought about before they started churning out laws as fast as they could draft them.

From my perspective, terrorism is tied closely to intent. If a group or individual imparts on a course of criminal activity specifically designed to cause maximum disruption, damage, mass casualties, economic impact, etc. and is motivated by an ideology which seeks to target and destroy the legitimate government and/or society it governs, THAT'S terrorism.

Plenty of criminals go on a rampage which causes the public to panic and feel insecure in their homes and communities. But, in my mind, the public's reaction and fear is attributable to their threat perception (real or imagined) and has little or nothing to do with the intent of the criminal.

From my limited exposure to the facts in this case, it's a gray area. What was the shooter's motivation? Was it just a personal grudge against cops or was he driven by some anarchist ideology and seeking to incite a massive disruptive response? And how much of the public's reaction to this tragic event was driven by the response of the law enforcement agencies involved? It appears he specifically targeted state police and wasn't randomly targeting the public, like the D.C. snipers a number of years back.

Terrorists has always been a term conveniently used by those in power to describe fringe groups seeking to usurp or undermine that authority. It gets a lot stickier now that we have a ton of draconian laws on the books to combat terrorism and politicians and law enforcement agencies playing fast and loose with those poorly written laws hastily cobbled together in the post 9/11 hysteria.

NCPatrolAR
11-14-14, 08:33
What exactly was the purpose behind the acts? Is this public record yet? Besides that he's a lunatic? And wasn't there a terrorist motive behind the fort good shooting?

It's listed in the affidavit towards the end. Without looking back at it I believe it was done because Frein wants to start a revolution since he felt voting didn't accomplish anything and the country needed change

Voodoo_Man
11-14-14, 08:48
http://i.imgflip.com/e5y02.jpg

2010 Pennsylvania Code
Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 27 - Assault
2717 - Terrorism.

§ 2717. Terrorism.
(a) General rule.--A person is guilty of terrorism if he
commits a violent offense intending to do any of the following:
(1) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population.
(2) Influence the policy of a government by intimidation
or coercion.
(3) Affect the conduct of a government.
(b) Grading and penalty.--
(1) If the violent offense is a misdemeanor or a felony
of the third or second degree, an offense under this section
shall be classified one degree higher than the classification
of the violent offense specified in section 106 (relating to
classes of offenses).
(2) If the violent offense is a felony of the first
degree, a person convicted of an offense under this section
shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment fixed by the
court at not more than 40 years and may be sentenced to pay a
fine of not more than $100,000.
(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following
words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this
subsection:
"Dangerous to human life or property." A violent act or an
act which is intended to or likely to cause death, serious
bodily injury or mass destruction.
"Mass destruction." An act which is intended to or likely to
destroy or cause serious damage to transportation-related
infrastructure or facilities, energy-related infrastructure or
facilities, public or private buildings, places of public
accommodation or public works under circumstances evincing
depraved indifference to human life or property.
"Violent offense." An offense under this part, including an
attempt, conspiracy or solicitation to commit any such offense,
which is punishable by imprisonment of more than one year and
involves an act dangerous to human life or property.
(July 7, 2006, P.L.342, No.71, eff. 60 days)

BoringGuy45
11-14-14, 10:11
If they charge him with terrorism, is he now eligible for the death penalty? My understanding is that PA does not currently execute people for murder. Is that correct?

If they can execute him for terrorism, then is it the plan to charge him with that and then plea bargain down to murder? That way you get a slam-dunk for a life term?

I'm not an attorney, and I've never slept in a Holiday Inn Express. Just thinking out loud.

No, we actually still have the death penalty here for Murder 1, even without terrorism. We just haven't used it in a long while. I think the terrorism charge is just what you said: Insurance that no matter what, he's never going to see the light of day again.

Because in the Fort Hood case, the prosecution was done by the federal government. It was not politically convenient to prosecute a Muslim for terrorism after all the effort Obama spends on assuring us that Islam is a peaceful religion. If the Fort Hood shooting had happened here and did not occur on federal property, I'm confident that PA would have charged terrorism for Hasan also.

SilverBullet432
11-14-14, 10:43
And you make the classic mistake you looking at how the attack was done or the body count. It's the purpose behind the act(s) that determine if it's terrorism not the method of attack or anything else

Agreed. I thought it over too quickly and made assumptions.

NCPatrolAR
11-14-14, 10:54
Agreed. I thought it over too quickly and made assumptions.

It's something that's super common among people and part of the reason I asked my questions. :)

platoonDaddy
11-14-14, 11:31
If the terrorist charge is based on the letter to his parents, in my opinion, the charge will be dropped.

http://http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/14/text-suspect-eric-frein-letter-to-parents/?intcmp=latestnews

Moose-Knuckle
11-14-14, 17:24

This.

The cop killer is a WHITE, right-wing, conservative, “survivalist” so it fits an agenda. It would be politically incorrect to charge Nadal Hasan who screamed "allahu akbar" as he murdered American Soldiers on post with terrorism after all we know that Islam is a religion of peace.

platoonDaddy
05-03-16, 13:18
Any update on the outcome of the case against Fein?

devildogljb
05-03-16, 18:14
Any update on the outcome of the case against Fein?

Still on going. Lawyer is trying to get his statements thrown out saying the police denied him being able to see a lawyer. They also want the trial in a different area due to how well known the case is. And also arguing if media is allowed in the court room or not. It's one big cluster.

platoonDaddy
05-04-16, 05:23
Still on going. Lawyer is trying to get his statements thrown out saying the police denied him being able to see a lawyer. They also want the trial in a different area due to how well known the case is. And also arguing if media is allowed in the court room or not. It's one big cluster.

Dang, what a bitch!

EDIT: who is paying for his lawyer?

Big A
05-04-16, 07:50
Dang, what a bitch!

The taxpayers of PA. He either has a court appointed private attorney or a top notch public defender that is trained in high profile cases such as these. That's typically what happens in high profile cases and I doubt this this asshole is solvent to the point he could afford an attorney.

devildogljb
05-04-16, 20:18
Dang, what a bitch!

He has a public defender last I checked. I live 30 mins from the pike county court house and work 5 mins from where he was caught.