PDA

View Full Version : are FF tubes worth it?

outdoorsmen
06-17-08, 10:31
is a free float tube that much better then a standard tube? will you notice a huge difference in accuracy at teh practical ranges of a shorty rifle?

markm
06-17-08, 10:35
will you notice a huge difference in accuracy at teh practical ranges of a shorty rifle?

No. I have one FF shorty. It just happened to be that the Sabre upper half I bought came with no delta ring or handguards... So It was easiest to put on a 2 piece FF handguard.

There are other upsides to the FF thing aside from accuracy. Heat sink affect, and how the bolt locks up in the extension under torque and all this fancy stuff. :)

C4IGrant
06-17-08, 10:36
is a free float tube that much better then a standard tube? will you notice a huge difference in accuracy at teh practical ranges of a shorty rifle?

Yes. Can you notice a difference in accuracy? Yes, if you have a quality SS barrel, match trigger, quality ammo and high power glass.

The reason why I ONLY use FF rail systems is because they take stress off the barrel. You can put a lot of force onto a barrel with a sling or VG. The FF rails also suck heat off of the chamber (this is a good thing).

C4

markm
06-17-08, 10:37
Here's a informative thread started by one of our best members here (re: carbean/shorty and FF).... :p

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7766